Club mightily pissed off at the Chron AGAIN!

I am very disappointed in this response from the club.

Everyone knows that Newspapers HAVE to be seen to be impartial - hence, they publish positive stories and negative stories about the same news item. No LOCAL newspaper wants to be seen to be "taking sides" as they run the risk of alienating half of their readership. Look at the MEN - they keep a balanced output when it comes to football, because, to be considered as favouring one of the big two Manchester clubs could be catastrophic for their business. It is different for National Papers as they don't care of they upset people as they have a seemingly endless flow of news stories for them to report on.

Now, what I would expect the club to do is sit down and develop a strategy of how they can "manipulate" the situation for their own benefit.

We all know that the club like to break news stories themselves so that they generate Website Clicks and incomes from SMS subscriptions; but we also know that if we walk into the Newsagents and see a Headline in the Chron that looks like an exclusive or breaking story, we can't help but buy the paper there and then.

So stage one is to understand "What is in it for them" and "What is in it for me". The strategy then needs to be developed whereby the club ACTIVELY INCLUDE the Chron in their Public Relations activities. There is still enough interest in Latics and enough news stories for these to be shared out between the club and local paper so that everyone is happy. The large majority of Oldhammers don't go to Boundary Park - and they won't if all they see are negative comments in the Chron. The local paper is our route into the homes of our biggest potential market and income stream.

What has happened recently, is that Latics have starved the Chron of their Oxygen (Breaking News Stories or Insider Tit-Bits) to the extent that when asked not to publish information before everyone else (including Reuters, MEN, Associated Press et al) they clearly didn't feel that they were able to do this and published early. This puts the whole relationship in a negative spiral with each party "taking shots" at the other. Who wins? No-one.

So, come on Latics. Be grown up about this, act like the adult, understand how the local paper can help us and how we can help the local paper - then we can all hold our heads up high and strengthen our futures - TOGETHER.

Everyone knows that Newspapers HAVE to be seen to be impartial - hence, they publish positive stories and negative stories about the same news item. No LOCAL newspaper wants to be seen to be "taking sides" as they run the risk of alienating half of their readership. Look at the MEN - they keep a balanced output when it comes to football, because, to be considered as favouring one of the big two Manchester clubs could be catastrophic for their business. It is different for National Papers as they don't care of they upset people as they have a seemingly endless flow of news stories for them to report on.

Now, what I would expect the club to do is sit down and develop a strategy of how they can "manipulate" the situation for their own benefit.

We all know that the club like to break news stories themselves so that they generate Website Clicks and incomes from SMS subscriptions; but we also know that if we walk into the Newsagents and see a Headline in the Chron that looks like an exclusive or breaking story, we can't help but buy the paper there and then.

So stage one is to understand "What is in it for them" and "What is in it for me". The strategy then needs to be developed whereby the club ACTIVELY INCLUDE the Chron in their Public Relations activities. There is still enough interest in Latics and enough news stories for these to be shared out between the club and local paper so that everyone is happy. The large majority of Oldhammers don't go to Boundary Park - and they won't if all they see are negative comments in the Chron. The local paper is our route into the homes of our biggest potential market and income stream.

What has happened recently, is that Latics have starved the Chron of their Oxygen (Breaking News Stories or Insider Tit-Bits) to the extent that when asked not to publish information before everyone else (including Reuters, MEN, Associated Press et al) they clearly didn't feel that they were able to do this and published early. This puts the whole relationship in a negative spiral with each party "taking shots" at the other. Who wins? No-one.

So, come on Latics. Be grown up about this, act like the adult, understand how the local paper can help us and how we can help the local paper - then we can all hold our heads up high and strengthen our futures - TOGETHER.

:shock: locked in the shed again Rick,with only the chron for bog roll????

Both stories have been covering scare stories that were substantively dealt with by the press release and which the Chron know about - small local club to be made homeless, and alloments to be concreted over. They have a responsibility to report in a balanced way, yet don't even seem to have read a press release issued to them?

:sign0087:

I agree with your post that we need to get the Cron more on side, but I think the disappointment in the chron is overwhelming.

The should be showing their Pride in Oldham for both Latics and Rugby, but have covered vatious stories in a negative way, and seem to be having a bit of a tant about it.

To give the allotmetns a front page spread is frankly a farce,

The M.E.N. wrote a story stating that latics supporters sang racist songs at the Masters without a verified source, whereas the Chron did not. Where was the protestation from the club to defend its good name then? The club is looking a bit pathetic throwing its teddy out of the cot every time it doesn't get its own way with the Chron and this ground move.

The Masters isn't really anything to do with the Club is it? I've no idea how the Club could know enough about what went on round and about the Masters day to know whether the MEN reports were true or not, or open to debate? Whilst this deals with things that all the local media know full well about and could no doubt have found Hardy or someone else more than willing to give them a quotation for balance.

I will admit I thought it was toys out when the first Chron leak came out, but when I saw the release it was clear that they had an excellent point, and the Chron STILL seem not to have gone back over the old ground and read the press release. I might fake being my dad and cancel their subscription and see how long it takes my mum to notice that she hasn't been able to nosey on house prices over the border.

I agree with your post that we need to get the Cron more on side, but I think the disappointment in the chron is overwhelming.

The should be showing their Pride in Oldham for both Latics and Rugby, but have covered vatious stories in a negative way, and seem to be having a bit of a tant about it.

To give the allotmetns a front page spread is frankly a farce,

But they have to write both positive AND negative stories to be seen as impartial.

The less we work WITH them, the more we work AGAINST them I am afraid. Also, it then gets to the stage where people get their noses put out of joint - and all of a sudden, you've got an increasingly disfunctional relationship on both sides - Latics refuse to help the Chron "break" any stories, so the Chron highlight more negative stories about Latics.

The cycle MUST be broken because both sides are to blame and neither are benefitting from the current situation

Both stories have been covering scare stories that were substantively dealt with by the press release and which the Chron know about - small local club to be made homeless, and alloments to be concreted over. They have a responsibility to report in a balanced way, yet don't even seem to have read a press release issued to them?

One interesting aspect of The Chron's coverage is the on-line feedback on various stories. Following the 'Plot Holders Dig in, etc' story there were quite a number of comments. About 8 were critical of The Chron's coverage with 2 comments supporting the editorial line. In today's paper The Chron printed 2 comments, 1 in favour and 1 critical. Talk about bias reporting!

Moreover, in today’s paper there is also an editorial criticising Latics for daring to question The Chron! What is going on at the paper? Is Jim Williams, who I remember as a Latics reporter years ago, still the editor?

:angry:

One interesting aspect of The Chron's coverage is the on-line feedback on various stories. Following the 'Plot Holders Dig in, etc' story there were quite a number of comments. About 8 were critical of The Chron's coverage with 2 comments supporting the editorial line. In today's paper The Chron printed 2 comments, 1 in favour and 1 critical. Talk about bias reporting!

Moreover, in today’s paper there is also an editorial criticising Latics for daring to question The Chron! What is going on at the paper? Is Jim Williams, who I remember as a Latics reporter years ago, still the editor?

Sounds balanced to me

Any chance of a transcript of that Mark? I'm buggered if I'm buying the damned rag, but I'd be keen to know what was said.