So I was there Saturday night at the Suncorp Stadium

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dad went on holiday to africa and came across something like the zimbabwean oldham athletic fan club! not too sure it was zimbabwe but you get the idea. there were only about 5 of them too.

It was probably formed after the Latics tour of Zimbabwe during the Ken Bates era.

It was probably formed after the Latics tour of Zimbabwe during the Ken Bates era.

No, can't be - that tour was in Rhodesia... :grin:

My bro was watching a documentary about football in Africa just after the "pinch me" years and there was a lad in it with a Bovis Latics top on! Luckily he taped it otherwise I would never have believed it. Wonder if Alan got his 10% of that sale... :lol:

Walking away from the 'derby' between Brisbane and Gold Coast in my Tangerine Latics shirt (same colours as Brisbane Roar) and all of a sudden walking in the other direction was another person in a yellow Latics shirt who was supporting Gold Coast. Which begs the question where is there strangest place you've seen another Latics shirt?

Tunisia, 91-92

Some random Tunisian on the beach, saw my shirt and shouted........Andy Ritchie, satellite tv, at the top of his voice!!

No, can't be - that tour was in Rhodesia... :grin:

My bro was watching a documentary about football in Africa just after the "pinch me" years and there was a lad in it with a Bovis Latics top on! Luckily he taped it otherwise I would never have believed it. Wonder if Alan got his 10% of that sale... :lol:

Sure it wasn't a JD one? I had home and away (tangerine) posted to me in South Africa in 1995 which never turned up! :ranting: :ranting:

my dad went on holiday to africa and came across something like the zimbabwean oldham athletic fan club! not too sure it was zimbabwe but you get the idea. there were only about 5 of them too.

That would be something to do with me.

There was a short article in the Chron a couple of years ago about two Zimbabwean brothers who supported Latics and wanted to swap emails with Oldham-based fans...

A few years ago after running out of turkish lira on the last day, the owner of a bar in Altinkum, Turkey, looked after us really well and as i didn't have nowt to give him back at the time, I passed him my 'orange jd 95/96 away shirt' - that hideous one - which he then gave to 1 of his waiters.. :D who of course wore it with pride.

I was in a bar in Altinkum in 2007....Valentines it was called, or something like that.....there was a Burgandy 'T*rex' shirt pinned to the ceiling amongst a mass of other football shirts.

Whenever I go in a bar abroad that has football shirts on the ceiling and walls I always look for a Latics one and have seen a few..

Edited by Yard Dog

Sure it wasn't a JD one? I had home and away (tangerine) posted to me in South Africa in 1995 which never turned up! :ranting: :ranting:

I'm sure it was Bovis because I remember being so (cough) proud of that particular shirt sponsor... :ranting:

In a bar in Menorca, about a week before the Champions Final in '99, me dad was chatting to a bloke from Nottingham when in walk two English lads wearing Bayern Munich shirts. The bloke from Nottingham was a Scum fan, so he shakes his head at these lads, to which me dad says 'I bet they're Latics fans'. Sure enough, 2 minutes later four other lads stroll into the bar wearing Oldham shirts and meet up with the two Bayern shirt sporting fellas. Also on a random market in Fuertaventura we stumbled upon a stall owned by Latics fans selling various Latics merchandise, which certainly stood out amongst the stalls of Africans attempting to sell us dodgy watches...

Not seeing a shirt but....

I went to Faliraki a few years back. Was having my dinner one day in this bar which had pictures of almost every league clubs badges in England on the wall. Every club except us. I had my Latics shirt on, when the greek barman brought the bill over I asked him where the Oldham badge was. He said "Oh, Oldham. My friend plays for Oldham." Obviously I was interested to who his friend was, so I asked. "Michael Clegg" he replied. "Oh" I said, a bit disappointed. "You know him? Is he good?" I bluntly said "no" and left.