Orient fans

Orient Forum

includes things like...

Going back as far as i can remember to the mid 70's.

Tough and physical, pressure the ball, win the second ball, condense play, have the ball in play for minimum time, play the percentages, win the 50/50's, play the referee, time waste etc. In short boot, ******* and bite football it ain't pretty, but it's effective.

We did not compete today, the defence was awful, midfield non existant, the attack had very little service. Smith and Thornton were overran.

Dreadful today, Oldham deserved the 3 points, but why do we so seldom ever look like competing with them.

Normal service resumed today.

and

We're just southern softies I guess.

God they were brutes today.

Yep, Interesting comments...

Interesting reference to the Royle era from the Orient fans - There was a couple of comments after the game as to how similar Furman and Worthy were to Henry and Milligan...

Its great to see an Oldham side both outmuscling and Outworking a team... that really hasnt happened for a while. The more I see of how Penney wants to play football the more I like it. It is never going to be glorious football, but not many teams will get an easy result against us, that is how to be succesful in this league... and if this team really gels and PawAb stays fit... well, you just never know....

Agree with both. Oldham were the kind of team we're gonna meet every week this season. Huge, aggresive, and organised. They fully deserved their win.

Stature wise, O's looked like kids against them today. We need to play round teams like that as we do have some ability, but didn't happen today.For today read Cheltenham/Yeovil/Swindon of last season.

So from the looks of things we really outfought them today good to hear

Edited by GlossopLatic

Yep, Interesting comments...

Its great to see an Oldham side both outmuscling and Outworking a team... that really hasnt happened for a while. The more I see of how Penney wants to play football the more I like it. It is never going to be glorious football, but not many teams will get an easy result against us, that is how to be succesful in this league... and if this team really gels and PawAb stays fit... well, you just never know....

I was one of the "279" yesterday. We definitely played with "bite" in midfield and we chased and harried for every ball. It was good to watch and admire the effort. However, we do seem to lack in imagination and creativity. With a couple of exceptions the midfield dont thread balls through, and in fact the midfield was often by bypassed with the long ball overhead to Pavel. To his credit Pavel held the ball up well waiting for supporting players, or laying the ball off from head and foot. But other teams will soon work this out and, aside from Pavel, we did not have much attacking edge. On other days, like Stockport last week, we will boss the midfield but with no alternative striking options, we end up nil nil at best. On the positive side the defence handled everything well except for their one goal, and at this low level, they will not always be punished for every slip up. Gregan has his "boo boys" on here, but for me he has been the stand out player over the first two league games.

Good atmosphere, great to win, and a well organized performance with the players at our disposal. Impressed with DP so far!!

That was IMHO about as poorly as Tam has played for us,but he wasn't alone in being off the pace today.

I never enjoy losing but getting beaten by a poor side like Oldham is really dissapointing, awful game with only two efforts apeice on target and losing 2-1 is very poor indeed.

Hope we don't get that referee again either he was so weak it was unbelievable the number of elbows that went this afternoon was unreal, rather than call the captains together he should have had the balls to get his red card out.

Lots of improving to do before Tuesday to get a result vs Charlton.

harry i don't think oldham were a poor side.they played it simple and we got outfoxed

Mr-B We'll have to agree to disagree - they created two chances all game, and showed vey little going forward, they killed the flow of the game but I agree imposed themselves on us and were well organised.

They will get found out by better sides than us - unfortunately we were awful yesterday.

We gave Gregan an easy ride yesterday by humping the ball forward in the air, no through balls on the deck or creativity a very bad performance by almost everyone.

I honestly can't see them doing well this season

Edited by dec666

Hope we don't get that referee again either he was so weak it was unbelievable the number of elbows that went this afternoon was unreal, rather than call the captains together he should have had the balls to get his red card out.

Eh? i wasn't at the game but it didn't sound like the referee was slow getting his cards out.

My personal favourite was...

I had an argument with their manager Jimmy Frizzel in the 70's after they had done everything possible (legal and illegal) to get a result at our place. After telling him what I thought of Oldhams tactics he looked at me, smiled and said in his gruff Scots accent "aye you're right,but that's football son"

Nothings changed including our inability to cope with them.

Brilliant.

I was one of the "279" yesterday. We definitely played with "bite" in midfield and we chased and harried for every ball. It was good to watch and admire the effort. However, we do seem to lack in imagination and creativity. With a couple of exceptions the midfield dont thread balls through, and in fact the midfield was often by bypassed with the long ball overhead to Pavel. To his credit Pavel held the ball up well waiting for supporting players, or laying the ball off from head and foot. But other teams will soon work this out and, aside from Pavel, we did not have much attacking edge. On other days, like Stockport last week, we will boss the midfield but with no alternative striking options, we end up nil nil at best. On the positive side the defence handled everything well except for their one goal, and at this low level, they will not always be punished for every slip up. Gregan has his "boo boys" on here, but for me he has been the stand out player over the first two league games.

Good atmosphere, great to win, and a well organized performance with the players at our disposal. Impressed with DP so far!!

Agree with most of what you said. I would like to see Smalley in that wide right spot occupied by Parker in yesterday. Parker, in my opinion, didn't bust a gut to come in to support Abbott, nor did Taylor, who looks woefully unfit and appears to lack confidence. If those play when truly fit, then you'll see attacking support play missing from yesterday.

That was IMHO about as poorly as Tam has played for us,but he wasn't alone in being off the pace today.

I never enjoy losing but getting beaten by a poor side like Oldham is really dissapointing, awful game with only two efforts apeice on target and losing 2-1 is very poor indeed.

:lol: I think thats what they call Sour Grapes, what a tool.

They have had a better start than they thought was possible and have then got carried away, they have been brought down to earth with a bump and they don't like it. :bigcry:

:lol: I think thats what they call Sour Grapes, what a tool.

Yes, definitely sour grapes. However, wasn't our board just like that after a few of the dismal home defeats last season? Teams coming, playing spolier tactics and just being a general nuisance rather than beating us with a display of scintillating attacking football. By all accounts it was a fairly ugly and hardfought win, which is just like what Yeovil, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham and others did to us last season.

That said, I'm so pleased we got a gritty result on Saturday. After last season, this is perhaps more satisfying for me than had we gone down and won with ease. It just shows we have fire and determination to get a result, as well as not being the soft touch we were in seasons past. Early doors though, but encouraging.