Name change - Oldham Borough? Oldham Villa? Oldham United?

If we are going to change I think it should be to something which reflects the ambition of the club to achieve higher things than an eternity content to be a lower league club in a tinmpot stadium. I think renaming ourselves, “Oldham at least as good as our traditional rivals like Bolton, Bury and Wigan and definitely aiming for the Premiership and probably Europe and going to build a ground big enough to accommodate every paying spectator for when we play Mars in the inter-planetary cup even though Mars have loads of fans and the game will attract loads of Venusians as well supporting us because they hate the Martians and the ambition we will have shown and the amount we have gambled on success will make us everyone’s second team again Athletic,” should guarantee us 3 points this Saturday.

Alternatively, why not simply have the choice of your ilk: Lickle Oldham.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you insist on likening it to Franchise FC, surely Failsworth 'tics would be the equivalent.

Failsworth Tics/Dons/Athletic/United/Whateverwankynametheywannacomeupwith.

Not arsed. If they move us and change our identity, I'm off.

I know this is a delicate subject but could a minor name change have a positive effect and lead to an increase in our fan base.

We have already survived one name change from Pine Villa and have enjoyed 100 years of league football since.

Athletic was apparently taken from the original name of the ground which housed Oldham County, with our proposed move away from Boundary Park apparently imminent would it be a good or bad idea to remove the Athletic from our title.

Whilst a move back to Pine Villa will have no meaning to the vast majority of our fans as long as we keep Oldham within the title would it be really that bad a move??

Oldham Borough?

Oldham Villa?

Oldham United?

I have been attending Latics games since 1963 so I'm by no means a casual supporter. This is a serious question so no abuse please!!!! ......................Opinions and suggestions anyone!!!!!!

I wish i could add a more deeper viewpoint on this so as you requested i will not insult you or poke any fun at the idea just simply so the word NO to all of your suggestions, as a supporter since 1963 i find it odd you would consider yourself, changing names, oldham athletic is in all our heart and souls it should never EVER change :grin:

I wish i could add a more deeper viewpoint on this so as you requested i will not insult you or poke any fun at the idea just simply so the word NO to all of your suggestions, as a supporter since 1963 i find it odd you would consider yourself, changing names, oldham athletic is in all our heart and souls it should never EVER change :grin:

Where have I said I would consider it!!!

If we move to Failsworth we'll have Manchester postcode.

Corney wants to attract new supporters from a different area.

Manchester is a really big town very close to Failsworth.

The only way to attract Mancs is a Manc name, I think they already have a Manc United and possibly a Manc City so... I suggest MANCHESTER ATHLETIC.

Edited by laticsrblue

If we are going to change I think it should be to something which reflects the ambition of the club to achieve higher things than an eternity content to be a lower league club in a tinmpot stadium. I think renaming ourselves, “Oldham at least as good as our traditional rivals like Bolton, Bury and Wigan and definitely aiming for the Premiership and probably Europe and going to build a ground big enough to accommodate every paying spectator for when we play Mars in the inter-planetary cup even though Mars have loads of fans and the game will attract loads of Venusians as well supporting us because they hate the Martians and the ambition we will have shown and the amount we have gambled on success will make us everyone’s second team again Athletic,” should guarantee us 3 points this Saturday.

My Tatt says oafc,so your first line needs re-wording before i book into £17.50 a letter Louis Molloy.

Change the name and i'm in his tatt removal studio

Failsworth Tics/Dons/Athletic/United/Whateverwankynametheywannacomeupwith.

Not arsed. If they move us and change our identity, I'm off.

Well it's like it or lump it where moving to Failsworths concerned...once in the ground, that's where the fear factor PR machine (better known as Simon Corney) begins again! Fans will again be ushered, sheeplike, into believing "it's the best for the club" etc. and gradual acceptance will seep through. If it's not TTA, it'll be the new owners doing this......and if you don't like it...well...you through the gate doesn't even cover the running costs anyway...supposedly the 365-days a year revenue streams (which I'm sceptical will be successful) will do...so see ya later if ya don't like it!

Tell me it can't happen...and I'll point to a very naive fool...

Well it's like it or lump it where moving to Failsworths concerned...once in the ground, that's where the fear factor PR machine (better known as Simon Corney) begins again! Fans will again be ushered, sheeplike, into believing "it's the best for the club" etc. and gradual acceptance will seep through. If it's not TTA, it'll be the new owners doing this......and if you don't like it...well...you through the gate doesn't even cover the running costs anyway...supposedly the 365-days a year revenue streams (which I'm sceptical will be successful) will do...so see ya later if ya don't like it!

Tell me it can't happen...and I'll point to a very naive fool...

I'm going to have a guess that the people who thought a name change might be a good idea have quickly realised that it was the stupidest idea ever. I can sort of see how the owners might see it as a way forward, but if the rumours of anyone on the Trust giving it credence are true then they want to step forward, speak up and say which fans they are representing. I've never joined precisely because of things like this, but the Trust still spent a pretty penny or two of mine and it would be instructive to know the truth on the one issue that seems to have unified a certain number of pretty committed fans who really would take anything else, but not that.