Video: An Oldham-Millwall Story

Oh boy, Spencer Pratt? Yeah...they live close to my apartment. I always run into him in coffee shops. He's even more unattractive in person.

Thats the one. Yeah, my first impression in five minutes was that he was an absoloute idiot so the channel was turned over there and then! :lol:

MTV on the whole has gone rubbish to be honest. Hardly actually shows any music at all. However, I still find myself watching Cribs now and then when looking through channels :)

Multiple choice... In Uni exams!!!

Soon you'll be able to get a degree just for turning and writing your name on the paper.

Yeah, it was ridiculous. It was a couple in first year. Part multi choice, part essay. Rest were a different story. It was the crappy modules more so :wink:

I agree with what you say though. Much of it is spoon fed. However, it's seen as a win-win situation for all now so it's just the norm. Makes lecturers look good and the student is happy as they get a good mark making the money they spend on tuition fees seem like a worthwhile cost.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree -- I miss MTV when they played music and it wasn't just on early in the mornings or really late at night. The only reason I watch it now is because I have friends who are on things like "The Real World" and "Project Runway" -- otherwise, I'd stay clear! x

And actually, all medical school exams in the U.S. are multiple choice exams. :grin:

Edited by sarausa

Multiple choice... In Uni exams!!!

Soon you'll be able to get a degree just for turning up and writing your name on the paper.

In Medicine at post-graduate level (nevermind uni level) the written exams are multiple choice- they do have negative marking though (not in my exams). There is definately an element of playing the question (anything with always in the question is never right) and I like to play the averages. You'd be surprised but one question very early on in my uni career I could have passed just by introducing myself, being nice to the 'patient' and thanking them at the end (not now unfortunately).

In Medicine at post-graduate level (nevermind uni level) the written exams are multiple choice- they do have negative marking though (not in my exams). There is definately an element of playing the question (anything with always in the question is never right) and I like to play the averages. You'd be surprised but one question very early on in my uni career I could have passed just by introducing myself, being nice to the 'patient' and thanking them at the end (not now unfortunately).

Yeah -- sometimes our multiple choice questions have letters a-j as answer options. :blink:

Well you'd get a lot of doctors who would fail that exam to be honest.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I agree -- I miss MTV when they played music and it wasn't just on early in the mornings or really late at night. The only reason I watch it now is because I have friends who are on things like "The Real World" and "Project Runway" -- otherwise, I'd stay clear! x

And actually, all medical school exams in the U.S. are multiple choice exams. :grin:

The multiple choice element doesn't surprise me in the slightest. In ours, we had a lecturer who said he had some large mathematical equation which works out if people are guessing. My answer? A load of :censored: , the student may quite simply think he knows the answer but actually doesn't.

Anyway's, my advice when in doubt remains. Go with 'C' :lol:

Spencer Pratt and his spooky flesh coloured beard. Has this board sunk to a new low?!

That was me discussing my hatred for things MTV related in answer to a previous question where I saw it for 5 minutes and couldn't remember his name. You my friend though should be ashamed of knowing of him so well! :wink:

There was a bird on my Uni who got a negative mark in one of her finals as you lost marks for getting a question wrong. We tried to pursuade her not to go to the other ones and boost her chances, maybe she should have stayed in bed.

Guess where we are right now. Class! :grin:

The multiple choice element doesn't surprise me in the slightest. In ours, we had a lecturer who said he had some large mathematical equation which works out if people are guessing. My answer? A load of :censored: , the student may quite simply think he knows the answer but actually doesn't.

And my answer? If they answer the question, but it's wrong, it was a guess. However, I'm not sure how to express this as an equation.

My degree was the biggest waste of both time and money that I have known. Maybe I could put it to use by writing 500 words on OWTB every time somebody mentions something related to building. I could call myself rudebob. ^_^

And my answer? If they answer the question, but it's wrong, it was a guess. However, I'm not sure how to express this as an equation.

My degree was the biggest waste of both time and money that I have known. Maybe I could put it to use by writing 500 words on OWTB every time somebody mentions something related to building. I could call myself rudebob. ^_^

Thats what I mean. It would be hard to express that as an equation and unfair if they genuinely thought they knew it. I think they was trying to get at the point that if your not sure, leave it blank (however half the answers were flaming C anyhow :lol: )

It would be simple enough to tell the point at which someone started guessing, for example if you are on 75% for most of the quiz and then get 20% for the last section. Of course this wouldn’t help in the case of people who only know a fifth of the answers anyway, those who started the exam sober but drank extremely quickly and heavily during it or those who are close in the alphabet to the girl with the nicest arse in the school but manage to not start leaching at it through the gap in the back of her seat for the first couple of hours. God knows how I got any GCSEs.

Is that some kind of dig?

Now THAT tickled me!

What was your degree just out of interest?

What was your degree just out of interest?

Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management.

Sounds fairly grand doesn't it? However they taught me nothing that I have needed to know during my three years in industry, aside from stuff I would have picked up inside a month working in it, and stuff which is obsolete. Instead they just coax you through the loosely related assignments, striving to get good results at whatever cost in order to maintain/increase their budgets, and probably with an eye on a personal bonus/rise for themselves.

What a degree does illustrate is a work ethic and the ability to apply oneself. For me the classifications are indications more of effort than ability. Near enough anybody could get a first, after all, all you have to do is hand in a draft assignment which will be marked and given back to you with fairly detailed information on how to improve it!

My thought is that anybody with such a work ethic could go out into the world and make something for themselves, as opposed to for their boss, who probably hasn’t got a degree, and is away on holiday. I suppose many like to take the safe option, and see £50k a year and 25 days holiday up until 65 as their pinnacle.

Of course highly skilled and vocational degrees, such as rudemedics, are invaluable. But then they aren’t taught like the majority of others are. Why? Because that would be grossly insufficient.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management.

Sounds fairly impressive doesn't it? However they taught me nothing that I have needed to know during my three years in industry, aside from stuff I would have picked up inside a month working in it, and stuff which is obsolete. Instead they just coax you through the loosely related assignments, striving to get good results at whatever cost in order to maintain/increase their budgets, and probably with an eye on a personal bonus/rise for themselves.

What a degree does illustrate is a work ethic and the ability to apply oneself. For me the classifications are indications more of effort than ability. Near enough anybody could get a first, after all, all you have to do is hand in a draft assignment which will be marked and given back to you with fairly detailed information on how to improve it!

My thought is that anybody with such a work ethic could go out into the world and make something for themselves, as opposed to for their boss, who probably hasn’t got a degree, and is away on holiday. I suppose many like to take the safe option, and see £50k a year and 25 days holiday up until 65 as their pinnacle.

Of course highly skilled and vocational degrees, such as rudemedics, are invaluable. But then they aren’t taught like the majority of others are. Why? Because that would be grossly insufficient.

Amen.