Should the club move to Failsworth?

OAFCMIKE

Should the club move from its spiritual home at Boundary Park?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no

• Yes
    • No

I'm not against a move, just concerned about a move to failsworth!

That's it in a nutshell, we can't carry on at BP as it is now,so a move is the sensible option if staying is out of the question.

But as has been stated, logistically,moving to failsworth into the united/city heartland is a very worrying choice.The problem is what is the alternative?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has already been ringfenced for housing. It's at the planning commitee meeting tonight.

Well Grange moving onto the Our Ladys site with Oldham College eventually when funding is secured, expanding and developing the Grange site. Our Ladys move into one of the academies that it seems nobody wants.

Way to go council.

i'd love to know where was tried and where was refused or outpriced. I heard (nothing concrete, just talk) that Coin Controls was moving to a new site and that Our Ladys was closing and merging with Grange. That would be a huge site if it could be bought. Plenty big enough for pitches etc.......

Our Ladys isn't closing and merging with Grange! Our Ladys is merging with St. Augustines (i.e. the towns two Catholic schools) on the former Radclyffe Lower (on Broadway). Grange is then moving to where Our Ladys is now. Apart from Coins Controls going for housing, the merged site would never have worked cos the levels are all other the place (Coin Controls is at a much lower level than Our Ladys). Next site for discussion.......

Academies that it seems nobody wants.

Way to go council.

What, you mean no-one wants 200 million being spent in the Borough? And modern purpose built Schools with excellent facilities? I take it that you didn't go to the forum and see just how impressive the new Radclyffe School is - I know Schools weren't like that in my day.....

Edited by dish

Counthill school could have been an option when that closes, if it had better traffic access

or what about scrapping the golf course they have been building for the past 21 years on the land between Derker and Sholver and build it their?

obviously anywhere but Failsworth

What, you mean no-one wants 200 million being spent in the Borough? And modern purpose built Schools with excellent facilities? I take it that you didn't go to the forum and see just how impressive the new Radclyffe School is - I know Schools weren't like that in my day.....

Going off the opposition letters I've seen sent to the council :ph34r: and the amount of them, maybe not.

Oh and I attended the forum, yes.

The worry people have is over the academy status of the schools rather than the quality of the build itself.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Back to the subject of the ground, What about coal pit lane (I have no idea were this is but people keep mentioning it) also I have herd Alexandra retail park mentioned. I think this is an excellent site, Matalan and the other shop can easily be moved into the spindles which is half empty anyway, leaving bags of room for development. It would be directly in the center of town which means real Oldhamers can use the proposed facilities that are to be built benefiting the whole community not just the plastic mancs on the outskirts. Also this site would have excellent road access with the bypass, while the train/metro line runs directly along the side of the site and would bring much needed development to this part of town and lets face it Oldham town center needs just as much if not more regeneration as Failsworth.

Back to the subject of the ground, What about coal pit lane (I have no idea were this is but people keep mentioning it) also I have herd Alexandra retail park mentioned. I think this is an excellent site, Matalan and the other shop can easily be moved into the spindles which is half empty anyway, leaving bags of room for development. It would be directly in the center of town which means real Oldhamers can use the proposed facilities that are to be built benefiting the whole community not just the plastic mancs on the outskirts. Also this site would have excellent road access with the bypass, while the train/metro line runs directly along the side of the site and would bring much needed development to this part of town and lets face it Oldham town center needs just as much if not more regeneration as Failsworth.

Im not sure businesses are easily moved mate! Especially into a half empty shopping centre. Im not sure if the council or police would be too keen on having a football stadium plonked right in the middle of a town centre either!

I am still waiting for a reply from the club regarding the alternative sites I suggested to them a month ago (Higginshaw Gas Works and Jct22 at Hollinwood). I thought I'd include a bit of detail like availability and size etc, so should I just presume they are still working through a feasibility study, or do I resign myself to the fact that they have totally dismissed it and are going ahead with the ill conceived Failsworth move?

Coal Pit Lane was mooted for Rugby many years ago and was found to have too many problems with contamination. Alexandra Retail Park is neither big enough nor cheap enough (seeing as though the current owner paid over the odds for it in the hope that Ikea were going to buy it...and they subsequently went to Ashton leaving him with a white elephant).

Next..... <_<

Edited by dish

Coal Pit Lane was mooted for Rugby many years ago and was found to have too many problems with contamination. Alexandra Retail Park is neither big enough nor cheap enough (seeing as though the current owner paid over the odds for it in the hope that Ikea were going to buy it...and they subsequently went to Ashton leaving him with a white elephant).

Next..... <_<

Might be ready to cut his losses then and sell cheaply!!

I'm not against a move away from BP but what concerns me is the fact that if we do move OUT to Failsworth and don't achieve our aim of promotion pretty soon we could continue to decline and get forgotten by more of our die-hard Oldham supporters.....I've just got this awful feeling that a move to Failsworth maybe good in the short term but long term will prove disastrous!!!!

Surely there must be at least one other site worth consideration....We are talking about the long term viability of our town's proffesional club here and we have one chance to get it right...If we get it wrong ( as I fear here ) there will be no turning back and it could very easily spell the end for our club.

Yes, we all realise we have to move or develop BP, but I really don't think that TTA have considered or even understand the possible long term implications of this move to Failsworth.

Edited by oafc1955

Next..... <_<

Ikea decided on Ashton because OMBC proved difficult to deal with on both the sites that they originally earmarked. The same council have not only failed to attract potential investors like M&S and BHS, but have also succeeded in forcing out many of the existing businesses due to high rents, lack of business-needs knowledge, overpriced car parking etc.

Oldham town centre is now only worth visiting if you want to buy trainers, a mobile phone or a sari.

And we are expected to be happy about an OMBC / OAFC partnership when it comes to relocating our football club?

Sorry, count me out on that one.

What will peoples views be if they release plans for the failsworth project and it looks amazing?

The club moving 4 miles down the road should not be such a big issue to the fans. What we are moving into should surely be of more concern?

What will peoples views be if they release plans for the failsworth project and it looks amazing?

The club moving 4 miles down the road should not be such a big issue to the fans. What we are moving into should surely be of more concern?

The arguement about Failsworth as a location is futile. It's still in the Oldham borough, isn't too far for people to travel to and will provide improved all-round access than the current location (or even most others in the Oldham borough). Live in Shaw? No worries, the Metrolink every 8 minutes or so will take you to bang outside the door. In 20 minutes. Basically, if you're a dyed-in-the-wool Latic and refuse to travel down to Failsworth to watch them then you're a moron.

Boundary Park... those memories are long gone, and can be relived on video.

Regarding the reasons behind the move, maybe a little more sinister. As soon as Corney spouted the "We'll not be around forever" rhetoric the writing's on the wall. They've been here too long, wasted too much money on trying to get BP off the ground and want out. An apathetic public, an untrusting council and probably on their part some bad or lack of marketing has left us where we stand. But with debts wiped clean, a new stadium and to an extent, a self-sufficiant football team is an attractive proposition to an investor and it's where our hopes of future success lie. The relatively low proposed stadium capacity may be on the face of it unambitious, but to me it's a statement that the current owners want away and are willing to pay the bare minimum and capitalise on the land sale at BP. Cards on the table, this is how it lies.

But give me a fresh start, new stadium and a debtless club and I'm more than optimistic that new investment will be sought. If none of this materialises and we stay at BP with TTA flogging off surrounding land just to break even then, as a club we've just died. It doesn't get more bleak and cut and dried than this.

The arguement about Failsworth as a location is futile. It's still in the Oldham borough, isn't too far for people to travel to and will provide improved all-round access than the current location (or even most others in the Oldham borough). Live in Shaw? No worries, the Metrolink every 8 minutes or so will take you to bang outside the door. In 20 minutes. Basically, if you're a dyed-in-the-wool Latic and refuse to travel down to Failsworth to watch them then you're a moron.

Regarding the reasons behind the move, maybe a little more sinister. As soon as Corney spouted the "We'll not be around forever" rhetoric the writing's on the wall. They've been here too long, wasted too much money on trying to get BP off the ground and want out. An apathetic public, an untrusting council and probably on their part some bad or lack of marketing has left us where we stand. But with debts wiped clean, a new stadium and to an extent, a self-sufficiant football team is an attractive proposition to an investor and it's where our hopes of future success lie. The relatively low proposed stadium capacity may be on the face of it unambitious, but to me it's a statement that the current owners want away and are willing to pay the bare minimum and capitalise on the land sale at BP. Cards on the table, this is how it lies.

But give me a fresh start, new stadium and a debtless club and I'm more than optimistic that new investment will be sought. If none of this materialises and we stay at BP with TTA flogging off surrounding land just to break even then, as a club we've just died. It doesn't get more bleak and cut and dried than this.

Careful FMS, that's absolutely bang on. The Corp will be after you with his drum.

Please tell me Wozz, that you didn't really think that statement through.

Moving 4 miles is no problem at all. Moving to a site less than 3 miles from the richest club in the land is, frankly, mental.

Edited by danoafc

Moving 4 miles is no problem at all. Moving to a site less than 3 miles from the richest club in the land is, frankly, mental.

Are you saying that Eastlands has a gravitational pull and the BP is just outside of this by being 7 miles away and Failsworth isnt 3 miles away? :huh:

Are you saying that Eastlands has a gravitational pull and the BP is just outside of this by being 7 miles away and Failsworth isnt 3 miles away? :huh:

Spot on - in my eyes the argument about moving close to the biggest two clubs in the world in pointless as we are already too close anyway.

I like your optimism but I think you are looking at it through rose coloured spectacles. If you actually think that - "But with debts wiped clean, a new stadium and to an extent, a self-sufficiant football team is an attractive proposition to an investor and it's where our hopes of future success lie." then you are in for a big shock. Try this version for a reality check:-

When we move to our new state-of-the-art tin shed with the massive capacity to suit our position/ambition it will all be too evident. I think that the three amigos have realised that to turn this club round is going to cost them more money than they actually have. Consequently the move to Manchester is their "get out" clause. They are going to build this new ground using all the grants and incentives they can get, using borrowed money to fund the rest. Once it is built and in our name we take on all the debt and stumble along between the third and fourth division with the occasional decent cup run (Ha Ha Ha) playing in front of three or four thousand (as everyone is not going to go and watch us play in Manchester) the three amigos sell Boundary park, which is already in their name, pocket the money and walk away. This is a move that will possibly kill our club. The new ground location is not widely accepted by the faithfull, the capacity is being questioned, and the apparent lack of facilities is not going to generate anywhere near enough revenue to cover the losses the club will make. It fills me with fear and sends me into a deep depression thinking about it.

I really do hope you are right but, honestly I can't see it.

At first i didnt have a problem with us moving next door to City, but the more i think of it the more i think its complete madness.

I said when the City fans get priced out or cant get tickets to watch them they will still want to watch live football - thats crap

they would rather buy a city shirt and sit in the pub like United fans

the poll on this thread is quite close really, and i really cant get my head around why fellow latics fans would want to move their.

maybe its the scaremongering by TTA eh

I really do hope you are right but, honestly I can't see it.

But we're left with no alternative. You know, some Latics fans seem to be happier just to stay put and possibly accept impending doom. Just by moving to an area 3 miles from City's stadium isn't going to drive our current fans away. The apathetic public of Oldham can still head down to the new place when the wish takes them, just like that can BP. This poll is actually called "Should we move to Failsworth" not "If we moved, would you go?" and even so the result just says the fans are split.

But the crumbling old wreck that is Boundary Park isn't alluring to anyone, especially your once or twice a season folk. They might be more inclined to go to a cleaner, nicer and newer setup in Failsworth, which is more family-orientated and a doddle on the metrolink though. Of that I'm quite sure.

Forget the bulk of Citeh/United fans already living in the area. Times change and people move in and out of boroughs. In 10 or 15 years time Failsworth could be a much stronger hotbed of our fanbase than it is now.

I propose the Moon using the basis of RoytonLatics, I sort of know where it is but I'm sure someone mentioned it.

Mate i'm only trying to put some ideas out there, instead of writing Bulls**t why not actually offer some form of positive criticism or even better an idea as to were the new ground could be built.

They are going to build this new ground using all the grants and incentives they can get, using borrowed money to fund the rest. Once it is built and in our name we take on all the debt and stumble along between the third and fourth division with the occasional decent cup run (Ha Ha Ha) playing in front of three or four thousand (as everyone is not going to go and watch us play in Manchester) the three amigos sell Boundary park, which is already in their name, pocket the money and walk away.

What grants?

Didn't Blitz say in the LP interview yesterday that the BP land would be sold off piecemeal to fund the stadium. You're argument fails to recognise that there's gonna be overlap - not a case of new stadium built, old stadium (and land) sold. The land sales at BP will be taking place from now right up until there's nothing but the stadium there (pretty much), by which time we'll be ready for 'the move over'.

I wonder if Cardiff / Leicester / Sunderland / Wigan etc. fans all said the same as you......... :wink: