Colbeck signs

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't read too much into this baiting from the Bradford fans.

Let's not forget that this is the same Bradford who lost out on both Furman and Holdsworth to us and if I remember correctly, had a bit of a grudge against Dave Penney.

If we can teach Abbott and Blackman to hit the box more often I'm sure the guy will be a success.

The comment on the OS where he states Bradford's direct style didn't suit his style of play makes sense.

Hopefully when Taylor is back we will be able to use the width and keep the ball on the floor....which will create more space in the middle of the park for our centre mids to operate.

Only worry is that DP wants his centre halfs to not do anything fancy.....might not help us wanting to play the ball on the floor.

On another note, did anybody notice how Dean Brill had a reluctance to play the ball short to the wing backs and that his dead balls were shocking.......this guy is only good at long range shots.....loved the half time training session for the keepers......why we pay for a GK coach is beyond me!

The similarities with Eardley are quite stark;

This is taken from the Bradford Boards:

In all fairness, i think its ashame the whole colbeck-gate ended in a bit of a shambles. the lad is bradford born and bred and when he was on fire, he was :censored:hot.

i do think Joe needed to move on though, he was in a rut at city. I stood up and clapped him off on saturday to support him, he was once again getting more groans than anyone for making a :censored:ty pass etc.

dont be surprised to see colbeck come good under penney and get a lot of assists by the end of the season. good luck to the lad. ill probably get shot down for this as there seems to be a lot of joe haters but he was a confidence player and the VP boo boys were never going to help that.

Both of them are now playing in a higher division than previously; with a fresh start & a clean slate.

I wager both of them will develop at their new clubs; think we've made another promising signing here!

The comment on the OS where he states Bradford's direct style didn't suit his style of play makes sense.

Hopefully when Taylor is back we will be able to use the width and keep the ball on the floor....which will create more space in the middle of the park for our centre mids to operate.

Only worry is that DP wants his centre halfs to not do anything fancy.....might not help us wanting to play the ball on the floor.

On another note, did anybody notice how Dean Brill had a reluctance to play the ball short to the wing backs and that his dead balls were shocking.......this guy is only good at long range shots.....loved the half time training session for the keepers......why we pay for a GK coach is beyond me!

There's nowt fancy about a centre half being able to find a midfielder no more than 20-30 yds away with a pass along the turf. If it's in the air, head it away. If it's on the deck and you're being marked, use your fullback to distribute. If it's on the deck and you've time to look up, find a midfielder with a nice simple pass.

Edit - typo

Edited by danoafc

Have you seen our style of play recently?

Hoof.

Hi Bradford fan here

I'll give you the low down on Colbeck having watched him week in week out for years, I have never been one of the boo boys and have no problems with him.

On the plus side Colbeck can be brilliant and ghosts past full backs like they are not there. He is very quick and can run at the same pace with the ball as without it. His record for assists has improved and he will create when he is on his game. He works his socks off for the team and your right back will notice his contribution.

On the negative side he fails to do it regulary, he is the young prospect that has just never kicked on and although he is 22 has a lot of first team experience. His work rate and pace are sadly for you guys the best part of his game, he seems to lack basic football skills like control, passing and certainly crossing and yes he can be prone to the odd crazy tackle but he definitely isn't what i'd call a hot head, put it down to over exuberence.

He did win our player of the year true but won it based on a three month spell after his loan spell with Penny at Darlo not a full season so it was more by default than anything else. having played through the dramatic division fall i think we saw the best from him first L2 year and i would have to say i think that was maybe the footballer finding his level rather than the footballer improving.

He is a massive confidence player so if he skins the full back early on you will see the best from him, if the full back wins the early battles he completely goes to pot. He won't hide from the ball during those spells but you might wish he did. I don't buy into the fact he was effected by the boo boys i think its all down to the first 10 mins.

All in all Joe has been a great servant to BCFC and the vast majority of fans wish him well, you will either have a gem of a player or a complete flop only time will tell if DP can get him to perform regulary, non of the managers he played with here could.

One last word for Furman, i don't know how he has been doing early season but he is a fantastic prospect that has all the qualities to play at the top level, i was gutted he didn't sign for us but we were really only hoping the McCall - Rangers factor would land him because everyone knew he would be wanted at a higher level. He could turn out to be the bargain of the season across all divisions.

Best of luck for the season

Bradford fan here, you've got yourself a player who's not quite up to the mark in our league never mind a league higher, if this un disclosed fee is 5 grand we've done ourselves a good deal.

On the other hand you've got yourselves a little gem in furman.

Edited by MattTinlge

Just to add my bit to the actual topic....

A mate at work who supports Bradford says that he is a pacey, tricky winger that blows hot and cold. Not their best winger apparently.

He will be 4th choice behind Taylor, Smalley and Purdie anyway when everyone is fit. He will be alright for a backup player

Hi Bradford fan here

I'll give you the low down on Colbeck having watched him week in week out for years, I have never been one of the boo boys and have no problems with him.

On the plus side Colbeck can be brilliant and ghosts past full backs like they are not there. He is very quick and can run at the same pace with the ball as without it. His record for assists has improved and he will create when he is on his game. He works his socks off for the team and your right back will notice his contribution.

On the negative side he fails to do it regulary, he is the young prospect that has just never kicked on and although he is 22 has a lot of first team experience. His work rate and pace are sadly for you guys the best part of his game, he seems to lack basic football skills like control, passing and certainly crossing and yes he can be prone to the odd crazy tackle but he definitely isn't what i'd call a hot head, put it down to over exuberence.

He did win our player of the year true but won it based on a three month spell after his loan spell with Penny at Darlo not a full season so it was more by default than anything else. having played through the dramatic division fall i think we saw the best from him first L2 year and i would have to say i think that was maybe the footballer finding his level rather than the footballer improving.

He is a massive confidence player so if he skins the full back early on you will see the best from him, if the full back wins the early battles he completely goes to pot. He won't hide from the ball during those spells but you might wish he did. I don't buy into the fact he was effected by the boo boys i think its all down to the first 10 mins.

All in all Joe has been a great servant to BCFC and the vast majority of fans wish him well, you will either have a gem of a player or a complete flop only time will tell if DP can get him to perform regulary, non of the managers he played with here could.

One last word for Furman, i don't know how he has been doing early season but he is a fantastic prospect that has all the qualities to play at the top level, i was gutted he didn't sign for us but we were really only hoping the McCall - Rangers factor would land him because everyone knew he would be wanted at a higher level. He could turn out to be the bargain of the season across all divisions.

Best of luck for the season

Thanks for the honest, balanced view. Although views such as this may be ignored or not understood by many on here :wink:

If it's confidence then I hope some of our 'supporters' encourage him if he doesn't score/create every game or else he may end up the way of another good young player, who left us recently, Eardley and want to ply his trade elsewhere in a season or two.

I'm sure DP will get the best out of him.

You reckon? I've hardly noticed him in our games.

I have, particularly in the Stockport game. He's our heartbeat, that keeps our tempo going. We faded badly in the Accrington game, but I thibnk Keiron Lee and Danny Whittaker were more at fault for fading. Furman couldn't do it all on his own.

Sometimes, like Wellens was when he was here, the best players have a quiet consistancy about their game. Let's face it, if they were blowing our socks off week in week out, we'd only see them for 6 months before they're flogged.

I have, particularly in the Stockport game. He's our heartbeat, that keeps our tempo going. We faded badly in the Accrington game, but I thibnk Keiron Lee and Danny Whittaker were more at fault for fading. Furman couldn't do it all on his own.

Sometimes, like Wellens was when he was here, the best players have a quiet consistancy about their game. Let's face it, if they were blowing our socks off week in week out, we'd only see them for 6 months before they're flogged.

Flogging is a bit harsh Mr Shankly :(

• 6 months later...