Dear Dave

Dear Dave,

I write this letter in the wake of our poor result at Boundary Park Vs Hartlepool United. I have been a supporter of the team for the past 15 years and in my time I have seen some poor teams and poor management structures/performances.

However, despite the defeat, performance and indifferent start to the campaign; let me say that I have not witnessed a more likeable, professional and committed manager as yourself. I admire your football philosophy, your preference for young players and to build a team of ‘workers’ with an added touch of quality to go with it.

I appreciate that you do not have the funds to go out and buy the best players or offer extortionate wages to get the out of contract players at a club such as ours and within the current economic climate. You do however, seem to be always on the lookout for unspotted young talent or players that may be available for loan, unlike our previous regime who were more inclined to contact their ex-team mates for players or bring in players who were known names and ‘past it’. You appear to acknowledge that fans will always applaud and back players who work their socks off for their money as the paying supporter does in their everyday job, regardless of ability.

I felt it necessary to write to you with a piece of support and advice. Please DO NOT listen to the moronic band of ‘fans’ at the club who constantly moan, boo and shout pathetic and uneducated abuse at the players and yourself during games. Whilst I respect their right to an ‘opinion’ (for what it’s worth), their actions are totally unjustified. I almost came to blows with two ‘supporters’ at last nights’ game as I felt sorry for you having to hear such rubbish as I can see what you are trying to do, whilst also considering the season is barely under way and that it is totally unfair to judge you on games whereby a quarter of our key players are unavailable.

When these players return I am sure we will see a turn around in performances and results. I know you have brought in good players and whilst it may be a building job this year, I know you will get it right eventually and lead us to success.

You are at a new club, have assembled a good young squad and yes, ok, results and performances haven’t been brilliant, but your approach, knowledge and professionalism to date has been admirable.

What I will say though, in a purely constructive manner, is that whilst we are waiting for players to return from injury, I think it beneficial for you to pick a team and stick with it. The changing around of players in the centre of midfield and in attack cannot do much good in terms of the young players gaining confidence and partnerships forming. I personally think that Brill, Hazell and Whitaker are our weak links but that is your job and for you to decide upon, which I fully respect. As an aside, I think you should consider allowing Martin Gray, or yourself, to sit in the directors’ box for the first 45 minutes to make notes from a different view of the games than yourself being stood on the touchline – I sit in the upper main stand section and you do get a clear perspective on the game and are able to see who is out of position/not picking runners up etc.

Keep your head up, stay positive and believe in what you are doing is correct. I believe we have the management team, young players and a structure in place that will only lead to success for the club in the long term.

I can see what you are trying to do and I and many other fans are fully behind you. It is sad that the idiotic band of people who come to games to simply moan get their voices heard more so than those there to support the team and that the abusive/negative messages are passed off as the general fan consensus towards yourself and the team.

It is the many previous false dawns, demise post-Premiership and promises of past teams and managers at the club that has led to people becoming disillusioned with the team and wanting instant success, which of course is impossible with an entirely new squad.

Keep doing what you are doing Dave. I feel that we are very lucky to have such a talented manager at the helm and I know, given time (I hope to God that you are) you can do it and bring the good times back to Oldham Athletic.

Stay Positive and Keep The Faith.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get it sent!

Already done, felt the man needed some support and CONSTRUCTIVE (now there's a word fellow 'fans') criticism, he must be wondering what the hell hes come into.

Yes, i know people have a right to their own views, but some of the rubbish and abuse coming out both on here and last night at the game goes beyond reasonable especially in our current circumstances, new team, early in the season etc.

Its pathetic. I dont see us doing anything brilliant til Xmas, then we will hit form and start playing on a consistant basis once he gets the team settled and everyone knows who is playing where.

Some people though are just idiots...

Edited by shefflatic

Already done, felt the man needed some support and CONSTRUCTIVE (now there's a word fellow 'fans') criticism, he must be wondering what the hell hes come into.

Yes, i know people have a right to their own views, but some of the rubbish and abuse coming out both on here and last night at the game goes beyond reasonable especially in our current circumstances, new team, early in the season etc.

Its pathetic. I dont see us doing anything brilliant til Xmas, then we will hit form and start playing on a consistant basis once he gets the team settled and everyone knows who is playing where.

I agree. Would like to think that encouragement like you've given would help Penny realise that there are Latics fans worth working hard for and help him ignore the cr@p that so many of the moaners come up with.....

I admire your football philosophy, your preference for young players and to build a team of ‘workers’ with an added touch of quality to go with it.

No evidence of a team of workers so far or quality for that matter....

You do however, seem to be always on the lookout for unspotted young talent or players that may be available for loan

Usually a reason they are unspotted as we have seen.....

I know you have brought in good players and whilst it may be a building job this year, I know you will get it right eventually and lead us to success.

What evidence of this do you have, and how long is the eventually...

let me say that I have not witnessed a more likeable, professional and committed manager as yourself.

Agree shame he cant instill that in his team....

I personally think that Brill, Hazell and Whitaker are our weak links but that is your job and for you to decide upon

They are the only weak links!!!?!!!

Sorry to be so negative i know your only trying to breathe optomism into a new manager but to spout damn right lies to him so he can feel that little bit better about himself is going a bit far.... I admire your optomism i really do but can you really see any positive since he has been in charge, can you see this team going anywhere this season apart from league 2?

No evidence of a team of workers so far or quality for that matter....

Usually a reason they are unspotted as we have seen.....

What evidence of this do you have, and how long is the eventually...

Agree shame he cant instill that in his team....

They are the only weak links!!!?!!!

Sorry to be so negative i know your only trying to breathe optomism into a new manager but to spout damn right lies to him so he can feel that little bit better about himself is going a bit far.... I admire your optomism i really do but can you really see any positive since he has been in charge, can you see this team going anywhere this season apart from league 2?

Yes as it happens I can, i think IF we can get shut of people like Hazell and Brill, get the wingers fit and be able to play the same team for 5-6 games we COULD mount a playoff challenge, but realistically finish around 10-11th which would be ok in my book.

He needs TIME need I say more.

Yes as it happens I can, i think IF we can get shut of people like Hazell and Brill, get the wingers fit and be able to play the same team for 5-6 games we COULD mount a playoff challenge, but realistically finish around 10-11th which would be ok in my book.

As i said i admire your optomism...... Playoff challenge... :grin:

Good man.

tick tock something that football fans forgot many moons ago

Dear Dave,

I write this letter in the wake of our poor result at Boundary Park Vs Hartlepool United. I have been a supporter of the team for the past 15 years and in my time I have seen some poor teams and poor management structures/performances.

However, despite the defeat, performance and indifferent start to the campaign; let me say that I have not witnessed a more likeable, professional and committed manager as yourself. I admire your football philosophy, your preference for young players and to build a team of ‘workers’ with an added touch of quality to go with it.

I appreciate that you do not have the funds to go out and buy the best players or offer extortionate wages to get the out of contract players at a club such as ours and within the current economic climate. You do however, seem to be always on the lookout for unspotted young talent or players that may be available for loan, unlike our previous regime who were more inclined to contact their ex-team mates for players or bring in players who were known names and ‘past it’. You appear to acknowledge that fans will always applaud and back players who work their socks off for their money as the paying supporter does in their everyday job, regardless of ability.

I felt it necessary to write to you with a piece of support and advice. Please DO NOT listen to the moronic band of ‘fans’ at the club who constantly moan, boo and shout pathetic and uneducated abuse at the players and yourself during games. Whilst I respect their right to an ‘opinion’ (for what it’s worth), their actions are totally unjustified. I almost came to blows with two ‘supporters’ at last nights’ game as I felt sorry for you having to hear such rubbish as I can see what you are trying to do, whilst also considering the season is barely under way and that it is totally unfair to judge you on games whereby a quarter of our key players are unavailable.

When these players return I am sure we will see a turn around in performances and results. I know you have brought in good players and whilst it may be a building job this year, I know you will get it right eventually and lead us to success.

You are at a new club, have assembled a good young squad and yes, ok, results and performances haven’t been brilliant, but your approach, knowledge and professionalism to date has been admirable.

What I will say though, in a purely constructive manner, is that whilst we are waiting for players to return from injury, I think it beneficial for you to pick a team and stick with it. The changing around of players in the centre of midfield and in attack cannot do much good in terms of the young players gaining confidence and partnerships forming. I personally think that Brill, Hazell and Whitaker are our weak links but that is your job and for you to decide upon, which I fully respect. As an aside, I think you should consider allowing Martin Gray, or yourself, to sit in the directors’ box for the first 45 minutes to make notes from a different view of the games than yourself being stood on the touchline – I sit in the upper main stand section and you do get a clear perspective on the game and are able to see who is out of position/not picking runners up etc.

Keep your head up, stay positive and believe in what you are doing is correct. I believe we have the management team, young players and a structure in place that will only lead to success for the club in the long term.

I can see what you are trying to do and I and many other fans are fully behind you. It is sad that the idiotic band of people who come to games to simply moan get their voices heard more so than those there to support the team and that the abusive/negative messages are passed off as the general fan consensus towards yourself and the team.

It is the many previous false dawns, demise post-Premiership and promises of past teams and managers at the club that has led to people becoming disillusioned with the team and wanting instant success, which of course is impossible with an entirely new squad.

Keep doing what you are doing Dave. I feel that we are very lucky to have such a talented manager at the helm and I know, given time (I hope to God that you are) you can do it and bring the good times back to Oldham Athletic.

could you perhaps get this message sent to david with a few names of support i'm more than willing to foreward my name in support of your letter shef latics :grin:

i might send one to Corney, asking them to spend some of the projected earnings off the stadium project on the team, then maybe we will see championship football like they said we would :wink:

one of the problems at the moment and people are forgeting is that we are in the deepest recession since the 1940's we have no money to do sod all

just be thankfull that we have money men backing us and keeping us afloat :grin: :grin:

via alan hardy alan.hardy@oldhamathletic.co.uk

you taking the proverbial bob??? all day you have been on facebook spouting shyte and basically penny out....yet on here your posting the exact opposite....

make ya mind up.

its a cracking post...the only point i dont agree,is you havent put greagan in with brill n hazel n whittacker.

Dear Dave,

Very good letter, I am sure Alan Hardy will reply to you as well he has replied too me in the past a few times.