3 signings we should have made

In answer to the OP, my opinion on the 3 suggestions remains as it was a couple of weeks ago.

In the summer I had considered Nelson as a possible target, but that relied on him not attracting the interests of bigger fish like Norwich. He started badly for them, don't know (or really care) how he's doing now.

Le Fondre might have been an ok signing, but I don't see how he's any better than what we have.

I know next to nothing about Tyler, but the fact no league club has opted to pluck him out of non-league suggests his career is on the wain.

Fair play for actually making some suggestions though.

I know next to nothing about Tyler, but the fact no league club has opted to pluck him out of non-league suggests his career is on the wain.

As was John Sheriden when Latics brought him out of non league from Doncaster ?

Edited by BP1960

I wonder if opinions have changed since I was mocked and ridiculed for suggesting (before the first game) that we should have signed;

Mark Tyler - Best lower league keeper I've ever seen. Free transfer

Michael Nelson - Dominating, solid centre back. Nominal fee

Adam La Fondre - Lower league goalscorer. Out of contract.

These 3 positions definetely need strengthening, but it's more a case of who can we AFFORD.

In attack we still need a natural goalscorer, i would have LIKED jordan rhodes but i imagine out of our financial range.

Defensively i'd like a mobile, dominating centre back.....nobody springs to mind in our price range though.

As for a keeper i'd LIKE fon williams from stockport, but again very unlikely, i've heard phillips from bristol rovers is available, seen him a couple of times and seemed steady.

With Keeper's it is often quite easy to get someone on loan. This is because most teams have 3 and the third choice spends most of their time in the stands (not sure third choice keepers play a lot for reserves). There are a few teams who I'd think would be happy to loan us a young keeper (most of the time they are young) to get him some match experience as opposed to sitting on a bench (at best). Phillips wants away from Bristol Rovers- and is acting up to get his way which is why he's availible and whilst this might sound good I think he wants a move out of league 1. Fon Williams impressed me when he played for Stockport but that was because I don't think we tested him right- he looked vulnerbale under the high ball. Plus didn't he have a howler to let us score last season from a corner.

As for the OP suggestion a GK who was being kept out of a team by Joe Lewis is not the best sounding thing in the world. Joe Lewis looked distinctly average when we played Posh last year (and I really wondered how he gets a place for the u21s - never mind his appearance in a full England squad)- very overrated. Plus I'm sure I heard something about him having the sort of howler people are moaning about Brill having against some team or other twice in one game last season- now which team was that- oh that's right it was us. I guess the OP was too busy to be at that game. The second choice behind him- no thanks I'd rather we played Josh Ollerenshaw instead of him.

Nelson is out of our price bracket- we couldn't afford to pay his wages for 6 months nevermind a full season and signing on fee (which I bet wasn't a small chunk of change). Le Fondre- I've not seen a lot of but I think he is out of our price range too.

I think our team does need some reenforcements though but perhaps people suggesting names would be better off looking at up and coming youngsters from bigger clubs, on loan, as opposed to established pros at our level- permanently.

Edited by rudemedic

I wonder if opinions have changed since I was mocked and ridiculed for suggesting (before the first game) that we should have signed;

Mark Tyler - Best lower league keeper I've ever seen. Free transfer 8 years ago maybe...

Michael Nelson - Dominating, solid centre back. Nominal fee Yeah right 'cos we can compete with Norwich on fees and wages can't we?

Adam La Fondre - Lower league goalscorer. Out of contract. Not sure on that one

As mentioned on another post, what about ex-dale Matt Gilkes?? He was always highly rated there, and I believe doesn't start for the lashers???

He was on loan at the Shrews last season as well, so could be available???

He's not played regular competitve football in years. He wasnt that highly rated at Dale. Most fans were mixed. He's injured at the minute anyway. Only thing he does have going for him is he's a Latics fan.

As for the person saying Le Fondre - He actually went for £200,000. A fee we simply wouldnt be splashing around.

Always said we should have signed Grant Holt when he was at Rochdale!

Could we of afforded £300,000 plus a 20% sell on clause. Nope.

Far too unrealistic some of these suggestions.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Best 3 signings we should have made?

1) Keeping Fleming :bigcry:988.png in net!!!

2) Making sure we loaned Trotman

3) Getting Dale stephens fit and others before dumping them out on loan and then bringing loans in to replace them

I just spotted a typo, but I decided to be kind and quietly change it.

As for the person saying Le Fondre - He actually went for £200,000. A fee we simply wouldnt be splashing around.

Le Fondre goes to a League Two club for £200k. We sell Neal Eardley to a Championship club for 50% extra.

:petesake: