Supporting Latics

I've forgotten the question now. Do I have hope for the club?

It may flicker somewhere but it's very, very faint, for reasons that should be obvious.

As you have already made clear. Why the consatnt need to down trod on other peoples own optimism of how and where the club may be going? it seems bizarre that the only way you say that there may be hope (along with a 40m+ investor) is if people get rid of this 'loser' mentatlity, the very same mentatlity your asking people to adopt basically, that the club is near enough done and dusted and we may as well give up now. How does that work? would it not be best for people to have a bright outlook on the future, breed a positive attitude at the club, a 'winning' one?

As you have already made clear. Why the consatnt need to down trod on other peoples own optimism of how and where the club may be going? it seems bizarre that the only way you say that there may be hope (along with a 40m+ investor) is if people get rid of this 'loser' mentatlity, the very same mentatlity your asking people to adopt basically, that the club is near enough done and dusted and we may as well give up now. How does that work? would it not be best for people to have a bright outlook on the future, breed a positive attitude at the club, a 'winning' one?

People can have whatever outlook they choose. When I come on here I feel fairly free to point out why I might disagree.

I would hope that by now I've made clear my view as to why optimism alone can't make one iota of difference.

To be quite frank, some of the main optimists on OWTB are the people who'd be happy if we went all the way to the Conference. Take a look at some of the latest threads and see them say so. They might not see their, 'not for the likes of us' attitude as a loser mentality, but I reserve the right to do just that.

Perhaps that's what we could replace the motheaten 'Keep the Faith' motto with-the much more relevant to the current situation, 'Not For The Likes Of Us.' (NFTLOU)

"Square one" differs dependent on your age. For me it's bottom of the Fourth Division, seeking re-election to the Football League.

For me too, excellent comment, the best we could hope for in those days (if we exceeded expectations) was a third round FA cup draw against a first division team

More often than not we did not make if suffering defeats against non league teams

Wembley and/or Premiership (First Division Football) was beyond our wildest dreams so lets not forget what we were and what we really are.

Anybody expecting the club to return to return to the glory Royle years is living in cuckoo land

I no longer believe the players and manager can make any qualitative difference.
I've seen a decent manager get more than the sum of the parts out of a squad of average players too many times to agree. Yes, you may have to go through half a dozen managers to find him, but there are individuals out there who can do it. Equally you have managers who have a record of mediocrity that you can appoint. John Barnes is a name that springs to mind. They will potentially take you the other way.

I happen to think that Penney is one of those with something close to that capability that will move average players up a level. Might be proved wrong by the end of next season. A focused John Sheridan isn't a million miles away from it - but I believe other issues distracted him from taking last season's side to success.

The players the club is now budgeting for are all much of a muchness. They will not compete with the squads assembled by clubs that can afford quality and depth.
Maybe I'm highlighting 4th from bottom in the Premiership and a couple of FA Cup semi-finals as "success". But didn't Big Joe's teams do just that? Average players who found that extra bit of grit and determination to puch well above their weight?

In my lifetime Latics have spanned all 4 divisions as have Burnley and Bolton. Carlisle, Luton and Oxford have covered 5. Scunthorpe and Stockport 3. Doncaster 4. The fact Latics have remained too many years in league one is a statistical anomoly. Not terminal decline.

What a strange way of looking at things.

Why strange? It's relatively common in most compassionate cultures to recognise the good things you enjoy in life, and be empathetic towards those that are not so well off. It does not mean that you are complacent with your lot in life but that things could be worse. It's not defeatist , it recognises things as they are - and is certainly no barrier to trying to improve them.

What a strange way of looking at things.

As opposed to the Fraser/Corporal Jones way of looking on the down side.

I work with people with cancer or cardiac problems (though not in any chartiable way), and I m thankful every day that I am not in the position they are in.

I am not glad some one is worse than me, and wonder if are twisting or misunderstanding Diego's words.

I am just glad I am not in the position of poeple I see every day.

That includes, this week for example, a child of 10 who has been having chemo and has now been told he willh ave to have his legs amputated.

I am not glad he is worse than me, I am not doing a Fraser thinking what if it were me, but I am definately glad I am not the parent in that situation..

Although I have supported the Latics since 1960 and it's the club where my heart really is, it has not stopped me from watching many other teams, particularly in local non league.

Indeed last night at Droylsden I found it a privilege to admire some marvellous fast flowing intricate passing football as they scored 5 goals and hit the woodwork several times. Last Saturday they scored 7 so its no fluke.

I would put my money on them beating most lower football league league teams - as they did twice last season.

I have passed information on to the Latics about several Droylsden players before pre season and the transfer deadline, but it appears no action has taken in at least getting them reserve game trials.

However, despite the contrasting dismal efforts from the present Latics players who can't seem to string 2 passes together, I will continue to support them through thick and thin.

One thing I have studied at Droylsden is the excellent pre match warm up drills conducted by their coach, something the Latics could learn from as I believe they are the foundation to Droylsden's success.

I wonder if any OWTB members were at the Droylsden match last night ?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if my mate Phil was - he usually gets to at least one non-league game a week as well as every Oldham match.

Wasn't there myself last night, but have enjoyed a few games at Droylsden, nice little club, great set up. (Stability helps I guess ... which is easier when the owner is also the manager!)

Wouldn't be at all surprised if my mate Phil was - he usually gets to at least one non-league game a week as well as every Oldham match.

Wasn't there myself last night, but have enjoyed a few games at Droylsden, nice little club, great set up. (Stability helps I guess ... which is easier when the owner is also the manager!)

Hope he was Garcon , here is an report from the opposition clubs website to show I'm not alone in my assessment.

The young winger Shaun Whalley was on fire, strong, fast, superb dribbling skills, and packs a tremendous shot.

http://www.harrogatetown.com/home.shtml

The whole atmosphere around the club is really depressing at the moment, I can't help but feel depressed about it either and wonder whats going to happen from here, but got me thinking.... why are we letting a few defeats get us down? we have been through a hell of a lot worse.... not so long ago was standing outside non league grounds with buckets asking for money to save our club and the fans obliged willingly with a smile...

you can go off and support city, but nothing will give you that feeling of supporting Latics

being at goodison park when mcdonald puts us 1-0 up... and actually holding on to it!

beating wigan 1-0 on a rainy night at the jjb ending there 20-odd unbeaten run when we were rock bottom and then turning our season around

beating city in the fa cup... nuff said

beating west ham at upton park after beating derby, with the amount of big names on their team sheet! that was one hell of a season, went to so many away games

Those are the memories at the forefront of my mind, im sure everyone has theirs. So much optimism at the start of the season and now wheres it gone? Keep the faith in DP and hopefully we can have some good memories this season, if not next. Priceless memories that no city or manure supporter will ever experience.

Get behind the team and drown out the boo boys, show these kids how to SUPPORT a team, they obviously been learning from their mates who are city/manure. We need to get behind the team because now is a critical point for our club, are we going to let turn to sh*t?

flying high up in the sky, we'll keep the blue flag flying high (what happened to that anyway?)

Sadly there was no optimism from me at the start of the season the players we signed were either League 1 average cast offs and League 2 fodder. A distinct lack of quality for me. I said at the start of the season I would deem 15th position a success. That said the team needs to gel yet and hopefully Penney finds his best 11 as at the moment I dont think he knows what it is, not helped by the injuries to the 2 best players IMO at the club in Smalley and Taylor.

I hope Penney is given time to get it right, whole new team, only 6 games yes early signs arent that great but I think/hope he will turn it around.

BP1960 I reckon we sign that winger already no trial needed :)

BP1960 I reckon we sign that winger already no trial needed :)

My guess is that Latics won't have heard of him, even though he's averaging a goal a game this season and always looks a goal threat.

Even then my bet is he won't score than his team mate striker Tony Gray, who is a prolific goal poacher.

Edited by BP1960

Forgive me. I'm a cynic, a realist and quite selfish. If my/my club's situation is poor, it provides me with no consolation that there's someone else/another club with a worse one.

“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”

Winston Churchill (1874-1965)