My team to arrest the slide this Saturday

Hometown club,

You consistently mock my posts yet make ZERO helpful suggestions or comments yourself. Its very easy to criticise when you make no positive input yourself. I guess if you don't make suggestions, your safe from ridicule.

This is the thinking behind my team.

*Latics are desperatley short of confidence. My team should prove solid and tough to break down, 2 tough tackling central midfielders, I have picked Lee over Furman, and pace out wide.

*If we have a single striker, that striker needs pace to threaten in behind. For this reason I have chosen Blackman over Abbott. Blackman has also been in better form.

*I think Lomax is the best attacking full back at the club. This is useful in this formation.

*Gregan is out because I think he has a major negative affect. The other players obviously dont like him.

*I have the picked the goalkeeper because the majority of the back 4 have spent a lot of time playing with him and will feel comfortable.

SO

Before you slag me off, there are the reasons.

Anybody care for a discussion?

Black at Centre Half eh.Would you like to explain the logic behind putting a pint-sized Full Back at the heart of defence?

What do you think of the rest of the team ceskylatic?

Black is obviously a reasonably talented player. Centre halves dont need to be giants, ability to read the game is far more important. Hazel what at his best when he was the dominant centre half in the partnership too.

Hometown club,

You consistently mock my posts yet make ZERO helpful suggestions or comments yourself. Its very easy to criticise when you make no positive input yourself. I guess if you don't make suggestions, your safe from ridicule.

This is the thinking behind my team.

*Latics are desperatley short of confidence. My team should prove solid and tough to break down, 2 tough tackling central midfielders, I have picked Lee over Furman, and pace out wide.

*If we have a single striker, that striker needs pace to threaten in behind. For this reason I have chosen Blackman over Abbott. Blackman has also been in better form.

*I think Lomax is the best attacking full back at the club. This is useful in this formation.

*Gregan is out because I think he has a major negative affect. The other players obviously dont like him.

*I have the picked the goalkeeper because the majority of the back 4 have spent a lot of time playing with him and will feel comfortable.

SO

Before you slag me off, there are the reasons.

Anybody care for a discussion?

Firstly, I know you are only fishing and you have dragged me in, well done.

Secondly in over 2,300 posts I think you'll find I have made plenty of comments and suggestions in the last 2 and a half years.

Thirdly, if I was that sensitive and worried about being ridiculed then I simply wouldn't come on here, full stop, problem solved.

If you think Lee is a tough tackling midfielder then you are very much mistaken, Furman is twice the player Lee is and a far tougher tackling midfielder than him.

Playing Blackman up front on his own would just not give us enough of a striking threat, we are at home and the onus will be upon us to attack and break down what is likely to be a defensive minded team in Carlisle. For that reason Abbott would be an absolute must starter for me along with Blackman or Parker, one striker up front on his own at home is the wrong tactic (in this match)IMO.

Lomax is not a good attacking full back, thats why he can't get a minute of game time, Penney clearly doesn't rate him very highly as even after the sale of Eardley, he still didn't figure even before he got injured, I think Penney would ship him out on loan somewhere if he could, he is only going to be back up at BP.

Gregan is not a negative atall, he is major positive, he has to do a lot of work to cover for Hazell. He is the only header of a ball in the back four, in your team we would get absoutely mullered in the air, Black is not a centre half in a month of sundays, Believe me if Gregan doesn't play then we lose our defensive aeriel power and the only communicator in the team, also the other players do like him, I think you're imagination is running away with you.

It is far more likely that Hazell would be dropped before the Captain was.

Ollerenshaw

Lomax Hazel Black Sheehan

:censored:

Colbeck Lee Worthington Taylor

Blackman

1. I agree we need to sort out centre half, but putting an inexperienced FB in there is not the answer.

2. Lee is not good enough and too lightweight to play in the centre.

3. One up front, at home, against a team as poor as Carlisle? No thanks. That team would look set up to not lose rather than go for the win..

4. Ollerenshaw...nope. Lets not ruin the kids career before its begun.

I'd have 2 strikers up top. Worthington (is he fit? I'm not sure cant be bothered checking) and Furman in the centre. Same wingers, need the full backs to get forward and support the wingers. And we need whoever is playing in midfield to support the strikers, because we really dont look like scoring.

Firstly, I know you are only fishing and you have dragged me in, well done - NOT FISHING AT ALL. DONT DO THAT ANY MORE.

If you think Lee is a tough tackling midfielder then you are very much mistaken - NO BUT I THINK :censored: AND WORTHINGTON ARE. GOD.

Playing Blackman up front on his own would just not give us enough of a striking threat - I THINK WE NEED TO BECOME HARD TO BEAT AND KEEP CLEAN SHEETS FIRST

Lomax is not a good attacking full back - I DISAGREE

Gregan is not a negative atall, he is major positive - SHOUTING AT TEAMATES, GESTURING AT CROWD, BAD OFF THE FIELD

Please stop adding fuel to the fire.

I realise that by posting this i'm contributing to the thread but not in direct response to the author of it.

People complain about the rubbish being posted then get involved in it.

What do you disagree with? Or are you unable to make an argument?

I'm waiting for your ill informed "Gotta play Abbott because he's a goalscorer" comment. No, he never has been.

1. I agree we need to sort out centre half, but putting an inexperienced FB in there is not the answer - WE NEED TO CHANGE SOMETHING.

2. Lee is not good enough and too lightweight to play in the centre - WORTHINGTON AND :censored: WOULD PROTECT HIM.

3. One up front, at home, against a team as poor as Carlisle? No thanks. That team would look set up to not lose rather than go for the win - I THINK WE NEED A COUPLE OF CLEAN SHEETS TO SETTLE THE TEAM.

4. Ollerenshaw...nope. Lets not ruin the kids career before its begun - MAYBE IT WOULD MAKE HIM???? WHY BE NEGATIVE?

I'd have 2 strikers up top. Worthington (is he fit? I'm not sure cant be bothered checking) and Furman in the centre. Same wingers, need the full backs to get forward and support the wingers. And we need whoever is playing in midfield to support the strikers, because we really dont look like scoring.

Thanks Dave Ragg1984 for a real response.

Firstly, I know you are only fishing and you have dragged me in, well done - NOT FISHING AT ALL. DONT DO THAT ANY MORE. Okay :blink:

If you think Lee is a tough tackling midfielder then you are very much mistaken - NO BUT I THINK :censored: AND WORTHINGTON ARE. GOD. If they were GOD as you put it, I would venture to say we should be winning more games.

Playing Blackman up front on his own would just not give us enough of a striking threat - I THINK WE NEED TO BECOME HARD TO BEAT AND KEEP CLEAN SHEETS FIRST. We do need to become hard to beat, but at home you need to be looking to score some goals as well, especially against the likes of Carlisle.

Lomax is not a good attacking full back - I DISAGREE. A succession of managers have chosen not to play him and use him as back up only, he drifts out of position regularly (Blackpool at home pre-season friendly, cost us 2 goals by leaving Ormrod totally unmarked at the far post by getting dragged into the centre). He also doesn't look comfortable in possession and presents very little if any attacking threat.

Gregan is not a negative atall, he is major positive - SHOUTING AT TEAMATES, GESTURING AT CROWD, BAD OFF THE FIELD

You say we need to become hard to beat and then advocate dropping our only defensive ball winner in the air in favour of a young very inexperienced full back (quite frankly I despair at your thinking), he also communicates he is the captain and the only verbal presence we have, he was right to have a go at the mindless balloons who were booing and barracking Brill (neanderthals), booing your own players is never going to help their confidence, ever.

Firstly, I know you are only fishing and you have dragged me in, well done - NOT FISHING AT ALL. DONT DO THAT ANY MORE. Okay - HONESTLY. NO MORE TROLLING

If you think Lee is a tough tackling midfielder then you are very much mistaken - NO BUT I THINK :censored: AND WORTHINGTON ARE. GOD. If they were GOD as you put it, I would venture to say we should be winning more games. - SMART ARSE COMMENT COVERING UP YOUR OWN MISTAKE.

Playing Blackman up front on his own would just not give us enough of a striking threat - I THINK WE NEED TO BECOME HARD TO BEAT AND KEEP CLEAN SHEETS FIRST. We do need to become hard to beat, but at home you need to be looking to score some goals as well, especially against the likes of Carlisle. - LIKE AGAINST ALL THE OTHER "BIG" TEAMS WE HAVE PLAYED THIS SEASON? WE HAVENT PLAYED TEAM WHO WILL BE TOP 6 YET.

Lomax is not a good attacking full back - I DISAGREE. A succession of managers have chosen not to play him and use him as back up only, he drifts out of position regularly (Blackpool at home pre-season friendly, cost us 2 goals by leaving Ormrod totally unmarked at the far post by getting dragged into the centre). He also doesn't look comfortable in possession and presents very little if any attacking threat - I THINK HE IS VERY COMPARABLE TO EARDLEY, WHO GAVE THE BALL AWAY EVERY TIME HE HAD IT AND GOT CONSISTENTLY ROASTED BY OPPOSITION WINGERS. WOW, LOMAX MADE 2 MISTAKES AGAINST BLACKPOOL. DOES THAT MEAN HE SHOULD NEVER PLAY AGAIN? DROP FERDINAND FOR HIS MISTAKE AGAINST HOLLAND!!!!

You say we need to become hard to beat and then advocate dropping our only defensive ball winner in the air in favour of a young very inexperienced full back (quite frankly I despair at your thinking), he also communicates he is the captain and the only verbal presence we have, he was right to have a go at the mindless balloons who were booing and barracking Brill (neanderthals), booing your own players is never going to help their confidence, ever. - I THINK THE MAJORITY OF FANS WOULD SAY HE IS TOO SLOW AND A LIABILITY. JUST THINK BACK TO THE TIME A 6FT ASTHMATIC FULL BACK CALLED PAUL WARHURST GOT MOVED TO CENTRE HALF.

Firstly, I know you are only fishing and you have dragged me in, well done - NOT FISHING AT ALL. DONT DO THAT ANY MORE. Okay - HONESTLY. NO MORE TROLLING

If you think Lee is a tough tackling midfielder then you are very much mistaken - NO BUT I THINK :censored: AND WORTHINGTON ARE. GOD. If they were GOD as you put it, I would venture to say we should be winning more games. - SMART ARSE COMMENT COVERING UP YOUR OWN MISTAKE.

Playing Blackman up front on his own would just not give us enough of a striking threat - I THINK WE NEED TO BECOME HARD TO BEAT AND KEEP CLEAN SHEETS FIRST. We do need to become hard to beat, but at home you need to be looking to score some goals as well, especially against the likes of Carlisle. - LIKE AGAINST ALL THE OTHER "BIG" TEAMS WE HAVE PLAYED THIS SEASON? WE HAVENT PLAYED TEAM WHO WILL BE TOP 6 YET.

Lomax is not a good attacking full back - I DISAGREE. A succession of managers have chosen not to play him and use him as back up only, he drifts out of position regularly (Blackpool at home pre-season friendly, cost us 2 goals by leaving Ormrod totally unmarked at the far post by getting dragged into the centre). He also doesn't look comfortable in possession and presents very little if any attacking threat - I THINK HE IS VERY COMPARABLE TO EARDLEY, WHO GAVE THE BALL AWAY EVERY TIME HE HAD IT AND GOT CONSISTENTLY ROASTED BY OPPOSITION WINGERS. WOW, LOMAX MADE 2 MISTAKES AGAINST BLACKPOOL. DOES THAT MEAN HE SHOULD NEVER PLAY AGAIN? DROP FERDINAND FOR HIS MISTAKE AGAINST HOLLAND!!!!

You say we need to become hard to beat and then advocate dropping our only defensive ball winner in the air in favour of a young very inexperienced full back (quite frankly I despair at your thinking), he also communicates he is the captain and the only verbal presence we have, he was right to have a go at the mindless balloons who were booing and barracking Brill (neanderthals), booing your own players is never going to help their confidence, ever. - I THINK THE MAJORITY OF FANS WOULD SAY HE IS TOO SLOW AND A LIABILITY. JUST THINK BACK TO THE TIME A 6FT ASTHMATIC FULL BACK CALLED PAUL WARHURST GOT MOVED TO CENTRE HALF.

Your replies are getting ever more ludicrius as your poor knowledge of Latics and indeed the game of football become ever more exposed.

If you think Lomax is in anyway comparable to Eardley, you are mistaken. Eardley has just been sold for a fee thought to be around 350K, and appears to be doing very well in the Chamionship (so your detracting comments about him are ignorant and crass), we could not get a fee of any description for Lomax, we can't even get rid of him for nothing, he will not be offered a new contract when his present deal runs out. Believe me he is not a good full back, he can't get a game even after the sale of Eardley.

The majority of fans think Gregan is a good player, our best defender and only decent header of a ball, MotM nearly every week and 2nd or 3rd if he doesn't win it, speaks for itself. Where or why the hell you dragged Warhurst up from the lord only knows, Black has only had about 2 first team starts in his entire career and at left back and you want to throw him in the centre of defence (talk about sink or swim) you'll finish him before he even gets started.

Jeez I'm mightly glad you aren't the club manager.

Ollerenshaw

Lomax Hazel Black Sheehan

Colbeck Lee Worthington Taylor

Blackman

i think that formation is quite similar to how we started against millwall but we soon shoved parker up front from the wing because it wasnt working. might be an option away from home with more practice but it just seems to negative to me. dont think we are good enough to sit back and take a load of pressure off the other team. we will just concede but have nothing going forward. i think the idea of ollerenshaw starting is just desperation but a bad idea his confidence would be shattered and would possibly ruin his career. saw him at hyde in the friendly and wouldnt be confident at all. black at centre back is another no go for me. mainly because i dont think he is good enough at the minute to play left back in the first team let alone in a position he isnt used to. also you say to play centre half you dont have to be tall you have to be able to read a game thats a good point but i dont think black is great at reading the game so it wouldnt work. although an option could be sheehan at centre half. again not the tallest and i have only seen him against hartlepool so cant make a fair judgement on how he reads the game ut im sure he played there a bit at leeds. as for blackman he should be in the team but he needs someone next to him to hold it up dont think he is strong enough or experienced enough to lead the line on his own. im a fan of lee and actually agree he could play centre mid providing he has a good strong ball winner with him. but think furman needs his chance before lee

forgot about gregan. no way he should be dropped. hes best defender we have strongest in the air a presence at the back and somewhat intiadating to opposition (anyone who went swindon last year when he played centre mid will agree with that). he can organise and lead the backline rubuen needs resting with a few games in the reserve to try an find form but no real candidate to replace and by all accounts had a decent game at bristol till last few mins so maybe he is coming out of his bad run. lomax is indifferent too inconsistant tho. actually liked the look of him in pre season but was a few mistakes ie blackpool but that doesnt mean he should be crucified for a couple of mistakes if we got rid of everyone who made a couple of mistakes we wouldnt have a team

Edited by davebuckley06

Your replies are getting ever more ludicrius as your poor knowledge of Latics and indeed the game of football become ever more exposed.

If you think Lomax is in anyway comparable to Eardley, you are mistaken. Eardley has just been sold for a fee thought to be around 350K, and appears to be doing very well in the Chamionship (so your detracting comments about him are ignorant and crass), we could not get a fee of any description for Lomax, we can't even get rid of him for nothing, he will not be offered a new contract when his present deal runs out. Believe me he is not a good full back, he can't get a game even after the sale of Eardley.

The majority of fans think Gregan is a good player, our best defender and only decent header of a ball, MotM nearly every week and 2nd or 3rd if he doesn't win it, speaks for itself. Where or why the hell you dragged Warhurst up from the lord only knows, Black has only had about 2 first team starts in his entire career and at left back and you want to throw him in the centre of defence (talk about sink or swim) you'll finish him before he even gets started.

Jeez I'm mightly glad you aren't the club manager.

I'm speaking as an FA Qualified coach and a football fan of 22 of my 29 years. Dont come out with "well I've been going 30 years". I can't help the year I was born.

Don't get me started on Gregan, I think the lack of support on here for you speaks volumes on that one. After every game there are complaints about it being a terrible central defensive partnership with Gregan making mistakes. We'll leave the off field stories and intimidation factor out of it.

I'm waiting for your alternate team Hometown Club. I'm predicting you will let things drift and if we sneak a 1-0 win in an appalling game, things will be on the up.

Warhusrt came up as an example of a small, young full back being made into a centre half. Earl Barrett is another example, a small frail full back becoming our greatest defender. Richard Jobson was a full back for Hull City before we signed him. Higher level players but the examples prove it can be done.

Really, your saying Black should be released then. He is never gonna play, even when we are at possibly our lowest ebb.

BRILL

LOMAX

HAZELL

GREGAN

SHEEHAN

COLBECK

FURMAN

TAYLOR

ABBOTT

BLACKMAN

Done and dusted, Lomax much better at right back. Hazell & Greegs certs to start, Sheehan the same. Colbeck and Taylor to keep wide. :censored: and Furman to be all energy. Abbott to not drop deep and Blackman to play off the last mans shoulder......