Corney on Radio Manchester Earlier

Simon Corney had a pre-recorded piece on Radio Manchester during the game tonight talking about the new stadium.

Can't find a link on iplayer for it unfortunately but he said that a deal was nearly done on the new site but didn't want to say that it was definately going to happen. Said there are one or two people unhappy with the plans but it's the best place for the owners, the council and the fans will in time see it is right for Oldham.

He wants to build a state-of-the-art stadium and the stadium will include better facilites than what was being planned for the BP redevelopment.

That's all I can remember from hearing it. Feel free to add if there's anything I missed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon Corney had a pre-recorded piece on Radio Manchester during the game tonight talking about the new stadium.

Can't find a link on iplayer for it unfortunately but he said that a deal was nearly done on the new site but didn't want to say that it was definately going to happen. Said there are one or two people unhappy with the plans but it's the best place for the owners, the council and the fans will in time see it is right for Oldham.

He wants to build a state-of-the-art stadium and the stadium will include better facilites than what was being planned for the BP redevelopment.

That's all I can remember from hearing it. Feel free to add if there's anything I missed.

thats about it yeah from what i cn remember, but its nothing more than we already know

he says though that there are one or two people unhappy about it, how does he know that?

is he going off the 'forum', emails, allotment holders?

i and many people havent expressed our concerns about the project so is he in for a shock or will he just choose to ignore us?

there was a bloke in a suit, well spoken, being shown around the back of the RRE before kick off by what looked like a club employee.

they seemed to be mainly discussing the catering, although I heard no mention of those machines that pour 6 pints at once. :angry:

anyone know who he was???

Just to clarify, Simon did his piece live from the back of the Main Stand today and I'd like to thank him for that, as it was a very last minute thing when we found out GMR were presenting their entire show live from BP, without anything planned or anyone to speak to!!

I didn't get to listen as I was running about the place like usual, so if anyone does find an iPlayer link I'd appreciate an email with the link.

Cheers,

Ste

there was a bloke in a suit, well spoken, being shown around the back of the RRE before kick off by what looked like a club employee.

they seemed to be mainly discussing the catering, although I heard no mention of those machines that pour 6 pints at once. :angry:

anyone know who he was???

yeah it needs to be looked at!! ... main stand ran out of Bovril BEFORE kick off!!!

Just to clarify, Simon did his piece live from the back of the Main Stand today and I'd like to thank him for that, as it was a very last minute thing when we found out GMR were presenting their entire show live from BP, without anything planned or anyone to speak to!!

I didn't get to listen as I was running about the place like usual, so if anyone does find an iPlayer link I'd appreciate an email with the link.

Cheers,

Ste

Cant get oldham athletic football club official site via internet or from my favorites list. Is there a problem at the moment? Lyn

He did also mention that we ended up spending more on players than last year when we were trying to cut spending down this year. Mentioned we had paid £75K for one player.

He did also mention that we ended up spending more on players than last year when we were trying to cut spending down this year. Mentioned we had paid £75K for one player.

Funny how hes happy to talk about the money we spend on players and not the moeny we've received. I will wager that the transfer fees received during TTA's reign heavily outnumbers those spent.

Funny how hes happy to talk about the money we spend on players and not the moeny we've received. I will wager that the transfer fees received during TTA's reign heavily outnumbers those spent.

I'll wager that the salaries they've paid, minus the other income, plus other expenditure, is more than the positive balance on transfers.

i think saying one or two arent happy is a figure of speech,and a slight wryness on his part....i think everybody knows there is fierce opposition to the plans from certain quarters of the populas,and its his way of making light of the situation..

im sure our new shiny stadium will have far superior facilities to boundry park once built,i would also hope they look into bringing in adequate catering provisions or even doing a deal with certain fast food outlets.

my only gripe at present is i hope they consult the fans on what we want to see inside the new ground,and how we would like it to be done,rather than just go off there own ideas,at the end of the day we are the ones who will be there week in week out over the years.

are you sure he mentioned that?

i didnt hear anything of the sort

he did mention that we had spent more on wages this season that last season after trying to cut the wage bill down

and he also mentioned a couple of fees payed on players including a down payment on furman but i cant remember exact figures

im sure our new shiny stadium will have far superior facilities to boundry park once built,i would also hope they look into bringing in adequate catering provisions or even doing a deal with certain fast food outlets.

If any new stadium doesn't boast better facilities than BP then something is very wrong. But what Macca says SC said is that the Failsworth stadium will have better facilities than those planned for the BP redevelopment.

he did mention that we had spent more on wages this season that last season after trying to cut the wage bill down

and he also mentioned a couple of fees payed on players including a down payment on furman but i cant remember exact figures

Furman and colbeck combined will have cost between 100k and 150k

so we have spent approx half of the eardley money then

I did hear simon on Radio Manchester last night he did admit to spending more overall this season £75k on one player unnamed and £50k down payment on Dean Furman so that may mean their is more to be paid?

He went on to say that the development at Failsworth would be a better development than the one planned for Oldham Arena. However (and without wanting to start a 20 page rantathon) he did mention that it was downsizing a little wether he meant just the size of the capacity or more than that I don't know.

He did remphasise though his commitment to Latics and also that he has learnt about the business of running a football club since his time in charge.

He went on to say that the development at Failsworth would be a better development than the one planned for Oldham Arena. However (and without wanting to start a 20 page rantathon) he did mention that it was downsizing a little wether he meant just the size of the capacity or more than that I don't know.

So the downsizing is official after all?

In amongst the euphoria of the win I made a prediction on Tuesday night (*).

If Hyde United survive the next week or so, we'll be playing them in the league in 5 years' time.

* - oddly enough, just after the crowd had been announced.

Edited by garcon

Hopefully "State of the art" means something we can be pround of and not a B&Q shed without a roof style that some clubs have (Scunthorpe).

For me the standard of the stadium will be a key factor in whether the move is successful. It does need to have a bit of a 'wow' factor that will remain after a season or two, when the 'its new' factor has vanished.

I know others don't agree, but I think we can make the move to Failsworth successful with a great stadium design, facilities and metro links.

Edited by Scapegoat