No Asian Support?

To begin with,this is not meant as any form of criticism or to provoke any accusations,just genuine thoughts.

With oldham having a fairly large asian community, are we doing enough to attract potential new supporters? Are the reasons they don't attend :

1, Not feeling any affinity with the town or particularly the club

2, Simply the cost

3, Not feeling as though they would be welcome or

4, Only interested in premier league

I see the kids in the streets kicking balls around and they seem genuinely interested and excited by football but still we have this non attendance.

As far as i know we have, or had, a 'community liason' person to take the club to the kids, but as of yet i don't see any positive results.

With attendances plummeting any new support would be most welcome.

As i said, just a thought.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year i worked in a Youth Centre that is in Coldhurst. A member of staff from Latics would come in now and again to work with the kids and build up relations. They would also be given free tickets to go and watch Latics.

However, i just got the feeling none of them were interested in the slightest. There are hundreds of young people (aged 13-21) on youth centre register but not one supported Latics. A large proportion of them love footy but support Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. I got some stick for being a Latics fan. One of the young people was even on Latics books but didn't really care about the club.

Those kids can't afford to come and watch Latics but they are also not interested in lower league football. I think this will always be the case.

Last year i worked in a Youth Centre that is in Coldhurst. A member of staff from Latics would come in now and again to work with the kids and build up relations. They would also be given free tickets to go and watch Latics.

However, i just got the feeling none of them were interested in the slightest. There are hundreds of young people (aged 13-21) on youth centre register but not one supported Latics. A large proportion of them love footy but support Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. I got some stick for being a Latics fan. One of the young people was even on Latics books but didn't really care about the club.

Those kids can't afford to come and watch Latics but they are also not interested in lower league football. I think this will always be the case.

I wonder if the likes of blackburn and now burnley have had any success?, admittedly they've been playing at an higher level and so would be a more attractive proposition.

To begin with,this is not meant as any form of criticism or to provoke any accusations,just genuine thoughts.

With oldham having a fairly large asian community, are we doing enough to attract potential new supporters? Are the reasons they don't attend :

1, Not feeling any affinity with the town or particularly the club

2, Simply the cost

3, Not feeling as though they would be welcome or

4, Only interested in premier league

I see the kids in the streets kicking balls around and they seem genuinely interested and excited by football but still we have this non attendance.

As far as i know we have, or had, a 'community liason' person to take the club to the kids, but as of yet i don't see any positive results.

With attendances plummeting any new support would be most welcome.

As i said, just a thought.

1. Many Asian people I speak to like to see Latics do well, the club works very hard within the Asian Communities - I should know my brother is one of the Community Coaches.

2. The cost is an issue, Asian people are traditionally very careful with their money (anyone who has done regular business with this section of the community will testify) However a winning team would generate interest as it did during the glory years when there was a group of Asian lads who stood near me on the Roachdale Road Terrace. Many Asian lads I've spoken to do mention the cost as an obstacle to attending.

3. I don't see the issue of not feeling welcome, as we are 30 years on from 'Paki Bashing', society has moved on for most and let's face it many asian Oldhamers are just as English as me or you. Yes, they're pround to be of Bangladeshi, Pakistani and many I know are proud to be British Muslims. As for the kids many would love to go but as someone who teaches a fair cross-section of the Oldham Community, there are many other distractions. A lot of Asian Children go to Madrassa's and Mosque on a Saturday which prevents them from doing the sort of things other sections of the Community can do during their Saturday. Often there is conflict within the home as they have to be seen to be doing the right thing in the eyes of their parents. Traditional values tend to be prevalent within the Muslim household.

4. There is an obsession with The Premier League, but no more than other people. People follow winners, simple as. I have said for some time we need to unearth a gem from within the Asian Community, then we may see greater interest. Give the kids someone to relate to and aspire to.

Imo we should be pushing Pav's Polish roots more too...

Edited by oafcprozac

1. Many Asian people I speak to like to see Latics do well, the club works very hard within the Asian Communities - I should know my brother is one of the Community Coaches.

2. The cost is an issue, Asian people are traditionally very careful with their money (anyone who has done regular business with this section of the community will testify) However a winning team would generate interest as it did during the glory years when there was a group of Asian lads who stood near me on the Roachdale Road Terrace. Many Asian lads I've spoken to do mention the cost as an obstacle to attending.

3. I don't see the issue of not feeling welcome, as we are 30 years on from 'Paki Bashing', society has moved on for most and let's face it many asian Oldhamers are just as English as me or you. Yes, they're pround to be of Bangladeshi, Pakistani and many I know are proud to be British Muslims. As for the kids many would love to go but as someone who teaches a fair cross-section of the Oldham Community, there are many other distractions. A lot of Asian Children go to Madrassa's and Mosque on a Saturday which prevents them from doing the sort of things other sections of the Community can do during their Saturday. Often there is conflict within the home as they have to be seen to be doing the right thing in the eyes of their parents. Tarditional values tend to be prevalent within the Muslim household.

4. There is an obsession with The Premier League, but no more than other people. People follow winners, simple as. I have said for some time we need to unearth a gem from within the Asian Community, then we may see greater interest. Give the kids someone to relate to and aspire to.

Imo we should be pushing Pav's Polish roots more too...

Yeah when i was a lad growing up around the coldhurst / northmoor area we used to play matches against the asian lads and some showed real talent, it's surprising so few have made the breakthrough, as oafcprozac says, if someone made it into our team it might entice added interest.

i know of atleast 2 Asian lads who go to every home game from doing working a Glodwick a few years back most of the kids would rather support United, Chelsea etc but if given a free ticket most would go but like most kids unless an adult took them there they would not bother.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I still think there is unease in this town when it comes to mixing and i guess that goes for other towns and cities.. lets face it, we don't do it very well do we.?

Some valid reasons have been posted and i'm sure they are huge factors too. :unsure:

thay dont come cos we dont say init or blud

Anyone else think this shows one of the reasons!? There are certain areas of our support who are, to put it in the nicest way possible, ignorant tools.

You sir are a complete and utter pillock

Edited by LaticsChris

Whatever the reasons are there doesn't seem to be much interest from the Asian community in professional football at any level. And it's not just Oldham that has this issue, it seems amazing that Burnley, Blackburn, Bradford or even Leeds haven't really produced any Asian footballers and have no real support on the terraces from these communities.

All of the above points are valid as to why, but I can't help thinking that many of the Asian community feel no real affinity to Oldham or it's football club. They may as well support a Premier League or even European team, and who can blame them when an Oldham Athletic home fixture seemed to be the catalyst for the race riots a few years back! It's hardly something that's going to tempt them to BP is it.

Truth is i seen myself Latics have done all they can to try produce, scout or develop an Asian player but most do not have they playing ability and also its there lifestyle not being critical but comes a day when one of our better players comes from an Asian lifestyle but his game goes down the pan due to him fasting during Ramadan.

I do not think there is much more Latics can do other than get in the Premier League which is the same for all supporters who stay away at Latics.

Truth is i seen myself Latics have done all they can to try produce, scout or develop an Asian player but most do not have they playing ability and also its there lifestyle not being critical but comes a day when one of our better players comes from an Asian lifestyle but his game goes down the pan due to him fasting during Ramadan.

I do not think there is much more Latics can do other than get in the Premier League which is the same for all supporters who stay away at Latics.

Ramadan is a Moslem fast.

You've ignored Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Christian, atheist, Zoroastrian and more. Nice racial wareness.

Ramadan is a Moslem fast.

You've ignored Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Christian, atheist, Zoroastrian and more. Nice racial wareness.

In fairness to Tom, the overwhelming majority of Asians in Oldham (which was the point of the thread) are Muslims. And I’m not sure the effects of Ramadan (no food or drink in daylight hours) on a sportsman can really be compared to a Christian giving up beer, fags, bacon and chocolate for Lent. A few of ours over the years might have benefitted. On the other hand Pakistan and other Muslim countries have managed to produce outstanding sportsmen in, for example, cricket and squash, so it is possible, whether by forgetting the regulations or getting through it one way or another.

In fairness to Tom, the overwhelming majority of Asians in Oldham (which was the point of the thread) are Muslims. And I’m not sure the effects of Ramadan (no food or drink in daylight hours) on a sportsman can really be compared to a Christian giving up beer, fags, bacon and chocolate for Lent. A few of ours over the years might have benefitted. On the other hand Pakistan and other Muslim countries have managed to produce outstanding sportsmen in, for example, cricket and squash, so it is possible, whether by forgetting the regulations or getting through it one way or another.

Come on, do you really think a prof footballer would put his career on hold for a month (or however long) because of fasting. There are ways around it and im sure this would be understood.

Plenty of prof sports people have religious commitments and still get on with it.

Its a very poor excuse to use on here.

Come on, do you really think a prof footballer would put his career on hold for a month (or however long) because of fasting. There are ways around it and im sure this would be understood.

Plenty of prof sports people have religious commitments and still get on with it.

Its a very poor excuse to use on here.

Erm, care to read my post again? :blink: