No Asian Support?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make no mistake, I fully understand why people write "No Comment", y'know as opposed to not writing anything if you don't need to.

Verbally declaring no comment is an entirely different kettle of fish, but writing no comment is clearly definable.

Getting minorities to come and watch football in this country has been traditionally difficult anyway. Football stadiums with their histories of violence and racisim have been pretty intimidating places to go for minorities and while that has changed alot in the past 20 years obviously but still has not had a significant impact on those of different ethnic backgrounds attending matches. The area around Arsenals stadium has a very high Afro Carribean population yet you don't see too many black faces in the crowd. Main Road is in Moss Side again a large Afro Carribean area again you only seemed to ever see white faces in the crowd.

In all honesty Arsenal is a bad example, they are one of the few clubs that do have a fairly big black following as do Birmingham.

Villa have a relatively good following of Asian supporters and are the only club I know of who have this.

If we lost any white support due to increased numbers of Asian people attending matches then fook them, Whatever people have regarding the racial divide (that i do agree there is no way of disputing does exist in Oldham) They should still be able to see the vast number of benefits on a fair few levels of increased attendances at BP. It's an interesting debate, I personally would be happy to see more Young Asdian lads at BP, I just cant see it happening any time soon because of the "Us and them" mentality with the Kids.

It's a shame and I reckon it'd be good for all concerned if the Asian community got a bit more involved, but I do know that there would be looks and comments which is pretty representative of the town. As also stated before most of the Young Asian lads wear Utd shirts which are alot more inconspicuous than a Tic shirt, even in Oldham - Going to BP, as mentioned, has been past on by fathers/Uncles etc - It's a tradition that becomes part of your culture. The Asian community for whatever reason haven't adopted this as a whole, I would of thought there would be less questions asked to a white kid in an Oldham shirt than to an Asian lad.

It's complicated and i do think the club have put some good initiatives forward - It's just unfortunate that there is an obvious divide in the town. 10 Asian faces in a crowd of 4000 are going to be easily spotted and i'd of thought that it wouldn't be that comfortable, If the Asian community see Latics as a representation of racism in the town and someone sees a few Asian kids as some wanna be Gangsters then the divide isn't going anywhere

Edited by longtimeblue

Why don't you see many Asians @ BP......other than the racial divide which isn't only notable from people who live in the town and the reputation Oldham comes with from an 'outoftowner', there are no Asian players (WHY???) as has been stated numerous times on numerous threads I don't doubt, other than football not featuring predominantly within the Asian community, more opting for cricket and badminton, what sports are being played in schools.....I would have thought the usual football/ rugby and cricket, then you have the unemployment rate....caucasion: asiam ratio I have no idea. If you ask me the town is one big divide similar to the iron curtain that was erected in Belfast in the 70s segregating the prods and catholics, they still have the religious divide there we have the culture divide here, similar in the length of time that it has been going on, politicians in Stormont still can't quell the religious tensions that have been going on for eons what chance does care in the community have in Oldham? and btw I don't give a flying hoot who I am stood next too whether it be on the terraces in the supermarket or in the pub. Interaction is the answer but when both parties are reluctant to get involved and prefer to keep it 'them n us' what chance does the club have of seeing a mixed race cheering on the towns team.......'checkmate'

Why don't you see many Asians @ BP......other than the racial divide which isn't only notable from people who live in the town and the reputation Oldham comes with from an 'outoftowner', there are no Asian players (WHY???) as has been stated numerous times on numerous threads I don't doubt, other than football not featuring predominantly within the Asian community, more opting for cricket and badminton, what sports are being played in schools.....I would have thought the usual football/ rugby and cricket, then you have the unemployment rate....caucasion: asiam ratio I have no idea. If you ask me the town is one big divide similar to the iron curtain that was erected in Belfast in the 70s segregating the prods and catholics, they still have the religious divide there we have the culture divide here, similar in the length of time that it has been going on, politicians in Stormont still can't quell the religious tensions that have been going on for eons what chance does care in the community have in Oldham? and btw I don't give a flying hoot who I am stood next too whether it be on the terraces in the supermarket or in the pub. Interaction is the answer but when both parties are reluctant to get involved and prefer to keep it 'them n us' what chance does the club have of seeing a mixed race cheering on the towns team.......'checkmate'

please explain....?

In addition to the large numbers, I believe white/asian racism is more of an issue in Oldham because the asians are generally rough. To compare it to 'multi-cultural London' isn't like for like.

It's not as if all of the different races in London mix together without noticing, more that people don't give a toss about who their neighbour is in any shape or form. It's undeniably true that the more deprived areas of London tend to have higher none-white populations, although there is plenty of white trash as well. I think a lot of the trouble in the North stems from there largely only being two groups (or three if you separate Pakistani and Bangladeshis) which can tend to emphasis the them and us sentiment, whereas I might hear Convict, Saffer, Caribean, increasingly French and various other accents walking down my road. My workplace has black (West Indian and African), various asian, a few white colonials, one pikey and various white locals. It's not actually the case that, "some of my best friends are," with most people but they just get along with things.

Another suggestion is that there are still very few asians playing in amateur football. Yes the Oldham Sunday league has had 4 or 5 teams over the last 10 years, including Werneth, FC Parice, Coppice etc and they have certainly had their susuccess - however the saturday leagues see very few playing. There does still seem to be this ethos that they are not welcome at some clubs - which, imo, is utter tripe - but there certainly doesn't seem to be the same passion for football with their community, hence not wanting to play, nor wanting to watch.

There are some very good projects around, offering coaching, teams etc - however, you can lead a camel to water - but can you teach it to drink?

Another suggestion is that there are still very few asians playing in amateur football. Yes the Oldham Sunday league has had 4 or 5 teams over the last 10 years, including Werneth, FC Parice, Coppice etc and they have certainly had their susuccess - however the saturday leagues see very few playing. There does still seem to be this ethos that they are not welcome at some clubs - which, imo, is utter tripe - but there certainly doesn't seem to be the same passion for football with their community, hence not wanting to play, nor wanting to watch.

There are some very good projects around, offering coaching, teams etc - however, you can lead a camel to water - but can you teach it to drink?

exactly btw if there all watching footy who is making the kebabs?

true but thay cant really compete with a mixed sashlik kebab from the indian u have to try one of them from the cinimone tree in oldham shaw road

Not suprised they are so nice if every Asian in Oldham is involved in making them! :rolleyes:

It's not as if all of the different races in London mix together without noticing, more that people don't give a toss about who their neighbour is in any shape or form. It's undeniably true that the more deprived areas of London tend to have higher none-white populations, although there is plenty of white trash as well. I think a lot of the trouble in the North stems from there largely only being two groups (or three if you separate Pakistani and Bangladeshis) which can tend to emphasis the them and us sentiment, whereas I might hear Convict, Saffer, Caribean, increasingly French and various other accents walking down my road. My workplace has black (West Indian and African), various asian, a few white colonials, one pikey and various white locals. It's not actually the case that, "some of my best friends are," with most people but they just get along with things.

Good points, and a good example of how Oldham and London weren’t like for like comparisons. I maintain Oldham’s racial tensions stem largely from the ‘Asian ghettos’, and the younger, more visible members of the community often coming across as being rough as old boots and downright bad news, which to be fair to them is taken from English culture! I don’t think it’s based on them having a different colour of skin, infact I’d say it’s more a class discrimination with subsequent ‘racism’, a murky middle ground fairly specific to towns like Oldham. ‘Racism’ only gets bandied about because race is visible, and because not enough people can think for themselves. When I ask someone why they hate ‘pakis’ they don’t say it’s because they are brown, they say it’s because they are scruffy/rude/drug dealers etc. Unfair generalisations yes, but racism in the true sense of the word?

As you say, London on the other hand hasn’t got these one race ghettos (aside from possibly black ones, blad?) and so there is no them against us ‘seige mentality’ bred. It is different, and I expect the ethnic groups are generally more affluent than Oldham’s (on the face of things anyway :wink: ).

Your last sentence is interesting. In my last post I said “many Oldhamers are racist to a degree, both white and Asian.” I actually include myself in this, I am racist to a degree, in the sense that I tried to explain in my first paragraph. To touch on something bowl mentioned, I wouldn’t be too enamored at the prospect of a typical Oldham Pakistani family moving onto my street. However, I wouldn’t have any problem with Doctor Kahn and his respectable wife and kids moving in next door, infact I’d probably go round for curry and crack on with his daughter. I just don’t want nappies and mattresses strewn down the street with uninsured Impreza’s driving up and down marking out their turf. So, assuming bowl meant the rough Asians moving in, I absolutely agree that they would drag down the area.

Now, despite my admission to having a degree of ‘racism’ in me, I can honestly say that about 50% of my friends aren’t white English. Not people I know, friends. I have friends who are Indian, Bangladeshi, Black African, Black Carribean, Egyptian, Chinese, Greek, Iranian…..all sorts of funny looking :censored:ers. My point is that whilst most people are racist to a degree it is far from overwhelming, and can be overcome.

Oldham’s Asians need to stop giving themselves a bad name….and by this I mean the Pakistanis and, to a lesser extent, the Bangladeshi’s. Indians must be the most affable people to ever walk the planet, which is probably why they hate ‘pakis’ more than anybody……and I don’t imagine that is based on their skin colour is it? :wink:

Anyway, time to get a little work done. :grin:

:rant.sml:

Some people are too quick to scream 'racist'.

Erm, you're the first person to use "racist" in the thread, so they can't have been that quick. :blink:

And now there have been follow ups with the "if you say summat non PC you get called racist".

Funny that.

Isn't the owl offensive to islam/muslims?

No but i remember the story about Oldham Council removing the owl emblem from street furniture. What actually happened was that some bins and bollards were put up without the owl emblem on because of an administrative error, and Nick Griffin (who was standing in the general election) jumped on it and claimed it was because Muslims found it offensive. Complete b*ll*cks, but the story stuck. Incidentally the Welsh have some pretty bizarre beliefs about owls.

Erm, you're the first person to use "racist" in the thread, so they can't have been that quick.

And now there have been follow ups with the "if you say summat non PC you get called racist".

Funny that.

Yeah the PC card got played before the 'racist' card. Personally i agree with Armando Iannucci:"I like political correctness. I like the fact that you can't use the words 'Paki' and 'mong' in railway station announcements."

Yeah the PC card got played before the 'racist' card. Personally i agree with Armando Iannucci:"I like political correctness. I like the fact that you can't use the words 'Paki' and 'mong' in railway station announcements."

Yeah because people were always coming out with stuff like that down the railway station werent they?