i dont know what its like at other grounds

but most people smoke at BP regardless of the ban

in the toilets and at the back

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry cant agree with you there ...

It doesnt stop people flying for 2,3,4,-24 hours and not having a cig...

100 mins without a cig ??????

I can't stand smoking.

But all these little things are part of the match day experience for individuals. As they get eroded people find other things to do.

Is it beyond the ability of the owners to provide a shelter away from the masses within each of their 3 stands?

Do you really think that is a fair comparison though ? I certainly don't...

my point is that people will go without a cig once in a while because they know they cant have one but still do it ..

Any flight even internal in the UK means a smoker cant have a cig for 90 mins min but people cope...

Its only my opinion, one that many share, smoking should be banned in public spaces !!

What the club should have done is open the gates next to the car park with a cordened off little zone that is manned do they people who are desperate to have a cig can do at HT and then come back in .......

my point is that people will go without a cig once in a while because they know they cant have one but still do it ..

Any flight even internal in the UK means a smoker cant have a cig for 90 mins min but people cope...

There is a big difference, the example dosent apply to regularly going to the football every weekend I dont think...

Its only my opinion, one that many share, smoking should be banned in public spaces !!

In enclosed public spaces I would agree... In public spaces full stop I dont agree...

What the club should have done is open the gates next to the car park with a cordened off little zone that is manned do they people who are desperate to have a cig can do at HT and then come back in .......

I think its a good plan. No doubt Barry raised this ?

At the cricket you could smoke outside of the stands. I dont see why it cant be like that at the football to be frank... Where such a nanny nation...

Edited by oafc0000

I can get a NUS card. I work full time and get a decent wage, but I'm doing some studies that work pay for that entitle me to a card.

Should I really get a discount? :huh:

Do latics (unofficially?) let you have a student card if you've a NUS card even if over 21? :wink:

No, NUS will not suffice, you need written proof that you are indeed a full-time student from your institution. Alan Hardy was willing to show discretion with me in 05/06 once i provided him with full proof of my full-time student status.

Edited by oafcprozac

I can't stand smoking.

But all these little things are part of the match day experience for individuals. As they get eroded people find other things to do.

Is it beyond the ability of the owners to provide a shelter away from the masses within each of their 3 stands?

its not a question of whether you like smoking or not

when we were getting 10000 crowds...i would bet half of those smoked

thats alot of people now being told what they can and cant do on a saturday afternoon

Do you really think that is a fair comparison though ? I certainly don't...

I certainly do. If you can stop smoking for 72 hours all the nictotine etc. is out of your system and the only reason you start again is because of the movement habit. I'm all in favour of the smoking ban if you can go a trans-continental flight without having a tab you can go a football match. Most films are longer than a game of football and its rare that I see people nipping out of cinemas to have a cheeky tab. Having said all this at a football stadium which is exposed to the elements there is an argument that smoking should be allowed in the same manner that its allowed in pub gardens. In some ways I'd prefer a non-ban to the situation we have now as I'm :censored: :censored: off with having to inhale a bunch of smoke as I go for a piss just because the smokers amongst you can't last 2 hours without having a tab despite lasting 2 hours on loads of occassions- does anyone have the annoymous tip number BTW :wink:

There is a big difference, the example dosent apply to regularly going to the football every weekend I dont think...

In enclosed public spaces I would agree... In public spaces full stop I dont agree...

I think its a good plan. At the cricket you could smoke outside of the stands. I dont see why it cant be like that at the football to be frank... Where such a nanny nation...

come back and tell me that when your little healthy baby that you having (congratulations by the way) is in a pram next to someone stood next to them smoking away....

I hate it when people smoke next to me now and I'm ...... *cough* :blink:

There isnt a massive difference, people work on buses, planes, and other modes of transport and are not able to smoke for longer periods than 90 mins.......

football is at most twice a week, people should be able not to smoke for that period, if not, well I would ask a doctor !!! (imo)

I certainly do. If you can stop smoking for 72 hours all the nictotine etc. is out of your system and the only reason you start again is because of the movement habit. I'm all in favour of the smoking ban if you can go a trans-continental flight without having a tab you can go a football match. Most films are longer than a game of football and its rare that I see people nipping out of cinemas to have a cheeky tab. Having said all this at a football stadium which is exposed to the elements there is an argument that smoking should be allowed in the same manner that its allowed in pub gardens. In some ways I'd prefer a non-ban to the situation we have now as I'm :censored: :censored: off with having to inhale a bunch of smoke as I go for a piss just because the smokers amongst you can't last 2 hours without having a tab despite lasting 2 hours on loads of occassions- does anyone have the annoymous tip number BTW :wink:

Maybe people who smoke don't got to the cinema ?

Both my mum and dad smoke. My dad wont fly longer than four hours, thats his limit and he stopped going to the football because of smoking bans.

So, another bum not on another seat...

No, NUS will not suffice, you need written proof that you are indeed a full-time student from your institution. Alan Hardy was willing to show discretion with me in 05/06 once i provided him with full proof of my full-time student status.

Well, that seems to make sense, after all it should be the full time aspect that matters - I wonder how many (few) people are over 21 f/t students? Bet they both wished they could get student rates.

I still won't be going to citeh, even for £15.

Maybe this is somewhere the trust could take some burden from the club - set up and police some schemes to promote the club - FT students of any age, maybe some for unemployed, dunno.

maybe they could allow 4 cheap tickets a season for unemployed fans (£5? £7? £8 £10?) - bring proof of benefits and full ID, to register, ticket issued on match day to prevent (dissuade) people passing it on at a profit?

Oh, forgot to say - that reply above about the £2 ticket discount being pretty worthless and needing dropping for a "book" scheme - that would make more sense. Better to discount for repeated purchase than for pre-purchase.

Edited by real

I'd prefer a non-ban to the situation we have now as I'm :censored: :censored: off with having to inhale a bunch of smoke as I go for a piss just because the smokers amongst you can't last 2 hours without having a tab despite lasting 2 hours on loads of occassions...

...and therein it lies. Many can't last two hours and risk getting chucked out by smoking in the bogs. A situation that appears to be easily solves.

We aren't here to solve the country's health problems, and if it doesn't annoy anyone, then take advantage in every way possible.

come back and tell me that when you little healthy baby that you having (congratulations by the way) is in a pram next to someone stood next to them smoking away....

Simple solution isn't there... You move... Why is my baby more important than them :blink: Bloody hate this society we have developed... I am certainly NOT going to be a cotton wool parent, that much can safely be said :)

Worse case situation, you ask them to stop if there is a real reason why you cant move out of the way of the smoke... Vast majority of decent people would stop or move...

Edited by oafc0000

Both my mum and dad smoke. My dad wont fly longer than four hours, thats his limit and he stopped going to the football because of smoking bans.

thats a shame on so many levels

Simple solution isn't there... You move... Why is my baby more important than them :blink: Bloody hate this society we have developed...

Worse case situation, you ask them to stop if there is a real reason why you cant move out of the way of the smoke... Vast majority of decent people would stop or move...

I will bet you a ST for life that your attitude changes the moment your kid is born!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your kid will become more important than anything and you will be scared to death at anything that could hurt it ......... this is from moment dot to when you have your last breath

...and therein it lies. Many can't last two hours and risk getting chucked out by smoking in the bogs. A situation that appears to be easily solves.

We aren't here to solve the country's health problems, and if it doesn't annoy anyone, then take advantage in every way possible.

My dad can not really last two hours... He once flew for three hours and it was not nice for him... I would say he could do four hours and that would be the most....

I will bet you a ST for life that your attitude changes the moment your kid is born!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your kid will become more important than anything and you will be scared to death at anything that could hurt it ......... this is from moment dot to when you have your last breath

Nah, there is a big difference between loving, caring and protecting your child... and thinking the whole world should stop because you have had a child...

Its madness ...

Feel free to hold me to this comment... My wife is very much of the same idea...

Parent and child parking ?? Madness...

come back and tell me that when your little healthy baby that you having (congratulations by the way) is in a pram next to someone stood next to them smoking away....

I hate it when people smoke next to me now and I'm ...... *cough* :blink:

There isnt a massive difference, people work on buses, planes, and other modes of transport and are not able to smoke for longer periods than 90 mins.......

football is at most twice a week, people should be able not to smoke for that period, if not, well I would ask a doctor !!! (imo)

we are talking about a football match in open air,,,,its not as if we are sat in a closed box is it......

and before the smoking ban became law,,,i didnt hear one single person say :im not going to the game today because of all the smokers:,,,,,i never heard one person say im not going in the pub tonight because of all the smokers....

smoking is a really nasty habit but when you try telling someone they CANT have a smoke then they just not gonna show...

we are talking about a football match in open air,,,,its not as if we are sat in a closed box is it......

and before the smoking ban became law,,,i didnt hear one single person say :im not going to the game today because of all the smokers:,,,,,i never heard one person say im not going in the pub tonight because of all the smokers....

smoking is a really nasty habit but when you try telling someone they CANT have a smoke then they just not gonna show...

Well my point is you should be able to smoke outside of the stands.... or have a smoking area... easily solved problem but again we choose to not put bums on seats...

To be fair I used to say that... In certain pubs anyway... You cant allow smoking in enclosed spacing... That is seriously unhealthy for everyone... Open spaces is a different issue...

Edited by oafc0000

Nah, there is a big difference between loving, caring and protecting your child... and thinking the whole world should stop because you have had a child...

Its madness ...

Feel free to hold me to this comment... My wife is very much of the same idea...

Parent and child parking ?? Madness...

that is your opinion before you have your child !!!! Ask ANY father on here !!!!

Parent and child parking... is a convienance for the parent, nothing like smoking next to your child lol

Four hours- that four hours of flight time, two hours in the airport beforehand checking-in and boarding (most airlines will say three but I'll let him off the extra hour), an hour at the outside at the arrival airport to collect bags and go through customs- not to mention the taxi/bus ride from airport to hotel. That's 7 hours without a tab. 3 and half times longer than OAAFC are asking him to go- its an excuse but it ain't a good one.

Your other point (in response to Wardle and your future young un) sums it up- if there was an official smoking area at Oldham well away from any entrance/exit and those people who don't wish to inhale smoke could avoid it if they wanted to, then I think I would be happy. I will sometimes go into pub smoking areas because the people I'm with all smoke but I should have the right to be able to go into a toilet and not have to worry about catching/worsening any respiratory condition. Who's rights are more important- me who is abiding the law in this case or them who is breaking it (and often knew the consequences of smoking before they started).

Edited by rudemedic

Well my point is you should be able to smoke outside of the stands.... or have a smoking area... easily solved problem but again we choose to not put bums on seats...

To be fair I used to say that... In certain pubs anyway... You cant allow smoking in enclosed spacing... That is seriously unhealthy for everyone... Open spaces is a different issue...

Roy Castle is the best example I can think of about smoking in confined spaces

Back on topic though, smoking at a game isnt reducing more than 35 people a game

Smokers are now used to the restrictions placed on there habitt

that is your opinion before you have your child !!!! Ask ANY father on here !!!!

Parent and child parking... is a convienance for the parent, nothing like smoking next to your child lol

Well hold me to it... Lets see if I ever make a comment suggesting otherwise...

I know some parents as you describe and they are annoying... and I know plenty that aren't...

Its a new thing as well... Remember when I was a kid, I went up to the local pub and I started jumping on the doors to the beer cellar. Land lord must of been down there, came up and gave me a clip around the ear. Ran home to dad and he gave me a clip around the ear for doing it. I wonder what the reaction of the modern parent would be...

Love them, protect them but dont be so self centreted to think your child is the most important thing in everyone elses life or should be for that matter. Might be in yours but you have to have some common sense :wink: