Barry Owen on Attendances

and ...

let's be honest here, you're saying a smoker should have the right to affect an asthmatic, but an asthmatic should not have the right to attend a football game and complain about smoking?

Jeez, that's some world.

so we should give up on thousands of potential fans because one or two are asthmatic

that makes sense

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you had a drink (alcohol) today, or sometime this week? Alcohol doesn't do wonders for your health and anyone drinking above the weekly limits (21 units for a man) is supposedly doing themselves harm in the long run (21 units is a quiet Friday night for some people on here). Now try going teetotal for the rest of your days. Not that easy is it.

Smoking is 100x worse (trust me I've quit)- the best thing the current Chief Medical Officer has done IMHO is not the smoking ban but raising the age of smoking to 18 as that means all those rebellious teenagers looking for a way to rebel (in a very conformist sort of way)- I was one of them now find it just as easy to rebel against their parents with alcohol as smoking. The NHS won't see the benefits for a good 20 years but it will see them.

Not had a drink this week, probably only had one drinking 'session' last week as well, I don't rely on it in any way. I think I probably could do without it to be honest.

There's not a single suggestion on here that hasn't been made again and again over the years. Started wiith SAFE in my direct experience but obviously pre-dates that. Andthere is Barry's answer. And if he woudl like my answer as to why I am no longer a trust member he can refer directly to his statement that he only gives his own views in board meetings. Shameful.

the new stadium has got to be 2 tiers

bottom tier non smokers

top tier smokers

smoke rises

everyones a winner

might bring some of the characters back to latics

but i know this will never happen

you know why it won't happen.

cause its the law of the land..nowt to do with latics.

so get over it.

There's not a single suggestion on here that hasn't been made again and again over the years. Started wiith SAFE in my direct experience but obviously pre-dates that. Andthere is Barry's answer. And if he woudl like my answer as to why I am no longer a trust member he can refer directly to his statement that he only gives his own views in board meetings. Shameful.

whats statement? I've attended99 % meetings in the past 2 years and know this isnt the case

so we should give up on thousands of potential fans because one or two are asthmatic

that makes sense

Well when you put it like that why don't we force feed people cigarettes from birth and hope the NHS has enough money left after treating all the smoking related illnesses to fix a broken arm or two. I'm not completely anti-smoking at BP but for the life of me I can't see how the smoking ban has stopped thousands going- tens yes, hundreds maybe but thousands no. I would wager that since somewhere around 5% of the population has asthma or some other chronic chest condition (respiratory only not including anyone with cardiovascular problems like an past history of heart attack or TIA or stroke or angina etc.) the numbers of asthmatic followers of Oldham is not to disimilar to those people who have stopped going because they say they don't like the smoking ban. This doesn't cover anyone who doesn't want to sit near a smoker because they simply don't like the smell of smoke or don't fancy running the minutely increased risk of catching cancer from sitting near someone who smokes for 2 hours.

I'm yet to hear of anyone who was tied down and made to smoke cigarrettes until they became so addicted they found it impossible to quit- smokers chose to smoke (and a lot of smokers still alive knew the risks when they started), other people shouldn't have to suffer just because someone doesn't feel a law is fair.

what..while is a building site?

anyway,i don't care. i don't smoke..next question.

oh well if you dont care :unsure:

Maybe they could just open a turnstile.. :) Hope a roped off section in the car park ? Keep it simple and all that :grin:

This thread is not about questions its about suggestions...

Edited by oafc0000

well why didnt you skip reading 8-9 johnny

nobodys forcing you to read them

lets hear your ideas to getting the supporters back

if i skipped it, then i wouldn't have known it was 2 pages of the virtues of not smoking at latics!

why not read the whole thread,then look about on these boards about the ideas i have put across..its very tiresome to yet again and again repeat them..the club doesn't act on these suggestions anyway...

Not had a drink this week, probably only had one drinking 'session' last week as well, I don't rely on it in any way. I think I probably could do without it to be honest.

Probably being the operative word- its easy to say why don't smokers quit. If it was that easy in life 10% of GP consultations wouldn't happen, the NHS would save billions a year and Nicotine gum would be out of business. Quitting smoking is not easy at all, giving up alcohol is a lot easier but try giving up alcohol just for the two weeks of xmas and new year and you will find it hard- nevermind the rest of your life.

Well when you put it like that why don't we force feed people cigarettes from birth and hope the NHS has enough money left after treating all the smoking related illnesses to fix a broken arm or two. I'm not completely anti-smoking at BP but for the life of me I can't see how the smoking ban has stopped thousands going- tens yes, hundreds maybe but thousands no. I would wager that since somewhere around 5% of the population has asthma or some other chronic chest condition (respiratory only not including anyone with cardiovascular problems like an past history of heart attack or TIA or stroke or angina etc.) the numbers of asthmatic followers of Oldham is not to disimilar to those people who have stopped going because they say they don't like the smoking ban. This doesn't cover anyone who doesn't want to sit near a smoker because they simply don't like the smell of smoke or don't fancy running the minutely increased risk of catching cancer from sitting near someone who smokes for 2 hours.

I'm yet to hear of anyone who was tied down and made to smoke cigarrettes until they became so addicted they found it impossible to quit- smokers chose to smoke (and a lot of smokers still alive knew the risks when they started), other people shouldn't have to suffer just because someone doesn't feel a law is fair.

i take on board all your stats and whatever but they not convincing me...

i used to go with minimum 15 blokes every week

out of the 15 i just counted 10 who smoke

these 10 dont go anymore and they dont go to the pub like they used too

thats 10 in our little possie

how many more are their

oh well if you dont care :unsure:

Maybe they could just open a turnstile.. :) Hope a roped off section in the car park ? Keep it simple and all that :grin:

This thread is not about questions its about suggestions...

this thread is about questioning the way the club has tried to run for the last how many years without a recognised marketing dept,about the lack of advertising and the resulting lack of bums on seats.

more questions than answers.

suggestions (the same ones over and over again)crop up every bloody time a thread of this ilk arises..for years.

the club reads this board..the trust reads this board..

is anyone suggesting that the club has actually implemented an idea from these very threads of doom and thought..

"that'll be a very interesting challenge-it just might work!"

cause i think they haven't.

this thread is about questioning the way the club has tried to run for the last how many years without a recognised marketing dept,about the lack of advertising and the resulting lack of bums on seats.

more questions than answers.

suggestions (the same ones over and over again)crop up every bloody time a thread of this ilk arises..for years.

the club reads this board..the trust reads this board..

is anyone suggesting that the club has actually implemented an idea from these very threads of doom and thought..

Well do that instead of getting :censored:ty with people :) :P

Edited by oafc0000

if i skipped it, then i wouldn't have known it was 2 pages of the virtues of not smoking at latics!

why not read the whole thread,then look about on these boards about the ideas i have put across..its very tiresome to yet again and again repeat them..the club doesn't act on these suggestions anyway...

this thread is about trying to get supporters back to bp and the reasons they left...

up to now all ive heard is why 1 bloke with asthma can now go to bp as opposed to many people not going due to none smoking....like its been said,,,,the club need to compromise here somewere and get them back,,,,,

just putting over my view johnny,,,just like you got yours

Thank you to all those who have made their points. Some very valid comments.

There is hope.

this thread is about trying to get supporters back to bp and the reasons they left...

up to now all ive heard is why 1 bloke with asthma can now go to bp as opposed to many people not going due to none smoking....like its been said,,,,the club need to compromise here somewere and get them back,,,,,

just putting over my view johnny,,,just like you got yours

Thy can't "compromise" with the smoking, it is the law of the land, they have as much chance of letting the supporters have a scrap with the away fans or letting them chase the dragon.