Barry Owen on Attendances

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Havn't had chance to read the whole link but do often think we need somebody who actually represents the voice of the fans on board. Barry Owen never seems to IMO, and is too often on board with what TTA and Alan Hardy think.

I can only tell you of my opinion and mock me if you like but I swear every word is true..............

I have been a season ticket holder for 30 years (I'm 39) and come from Ashton. I have lived in Stalybridge since the age of 14 so the point is I have no link to the town other than Latics.

Sat in the mainstand for many years and (even though still going and always will because wild horses wouldnt keep me away) I have written several letters to Alan Hardy and Simon Corney (he actually ignored my last letter without reply) offering ideas on how we could improve attendances. While I go to every home game, the cost kills me at over £300 for a season ticket and I also take my 12 year old daughter (I pay on the day for her as she cant attend every game) at £11 a throw for the Main Stand.

The main point is there was about 12-15 of us sat together for years in the Mainstand with kids and OAP's. We were all pissed off that the club charge £11 for kids in the Mainstand and £3 everywhere else (including the away end) so 2 years ago everybody decided we needed to challenge this.

I volunteered to ring Mr Hardy to ask could we get Kids SST's for £50 like the other stands......... and guess what he laughed at me! When I told him it was a fiver for under 16's at City and only £100 for an adult SST at Huddersfield he actually challenged me to "come and run the club if you can do better".

The point of the story is at most home games now there is 6-8 of us who attend. My mate (who lives in Milnrow so a lot closer than me) hasn't attended since Alan Hardy's attitude and I dont believe will ever come again.

They are not listening to us! Simple as!

I will still attend as I'm 100% Latics to the core. I dont go to many away games mainly due to cost and respect everyone of you who does go to them, but I'm somebody who plans holidays around my home games.

KTF boys and girls.

They wont get it right until they listen to what people want and new ideas.

Lancy

what was the reason for knocking the clayton down?

It was of no use as a licensed premises, JW Lees made sure of that before the club took control of it. It was convenient to knock it down while the demolition equipment was already on the site to knock down the Broadway stand. Seeing as the first bunch of houses are to be built behind the Chaddy, it appears to have been a good decision.

id say knocking the clayton down has contributed to loss of support

lads love that booze before and after the game and a short stroll to the ground

i know the clayton green is there but its just not the same is it....

must have been 600-1000 in the clayton before games i would imagine...

lads dont want that agro of getting taxis or jumping on buses to get to the ground after a booze..

lack of a bar in the chaddy

crap grub

no grub

no smoking

no swearing

no abuse

and we pay them to get in

id say knocking the clayton down has contributed to loss of support

lads love that booze before and after the game and a short stroll to the ground

i know the clayton green is there but its just not the same is it....

must have been 600-1000 in the clayton before games i would imagine...

lads dont want that agro of getting taxis or jumping on buses to get to the ground after a booze..

lack of a bar in the chaddy

crap grub

no grub

no smoking

no swearing

no abuse

and we pay them to get in

Some truth there

Probably being the operative word- its easy to say why don't smokers quit. If it was that easy in life 10% of GP consultations wouldn't happen, the NHS would save billions a year and Nicotine gum would be out of business. Quitting smoking is not easy at all, giving up alcohol is a lot easier but try giving up alcohol just for the two weeks of xmas and new year and you will find it hard- nevermind the rest of your life.

Well I should have said I definitely only had one the week before this and none the week before that. You're right it wouldn't be easy to not have a drink for the rest of my life, but then again, having the odd drink isn't killing me is it?

I'm not saying it's easy, but if I knew something was effecting my health that badly I would be doing everything I could to stop, hence the "i don't want to quit" thing to me is total bull:censored:. My dad smoked 20 a day for years, he quit before my older brother was born, it can be done, it's a choice.

Edited by LeylandLatic

Havn't had chance to read the whole link but do often think we need somebody who actually represents the voice of the fans on board. Barry Owen never seems to IMO, and is too often on board with what TTA and Alan Hardy think.

I can only tell you of my opinion and mock me if you like but I swear every word is true..............

I have been a season ticket holder for 30 years (I'm 39) and come from Ashton. I have lived in Stalybridge since the age of 14 so the point is I have no link to the town other than Latics.

Sat in the mainstand for many years and (even though still going and always will because wild horses wouldnt keep me away) I have written several letters to Alan Hardy and Simon Corney (he actually ignored my last letter without reply) offering ideas on how we could improve attendances. While I go to every home game, the cost kills me at over £300 for a season ticket and I also take my 12 year old daughter (I pay on the day for her as she cant attend every game) at £11 a throw for the Main Stand.

The main point is there was about 12-15 of us sat together for years in the Mainstand with kids and OAP's. We were all pissed off that the club charge £11 for kids in the Mainstand and £3 everywhere else (including the away end) so 2 years ago everybody decided we needed to challenge this.

I volunteered to ring Mr Hardy to ask could we get Kids SST's for £50 like the other stands......... and guess what he laughed at me! When I told him it was a fiver for under 16's at City and only £100 for an adult SST at Huddersfield he actually challenged me to "come and run the club if you can do better".

The point of the story is at most home games now there is 6-8 of us who attend. My mate (who lives in Milnrow so a lot closer than me) hasn't attended since Alan Hardy's attitude and I dont believe will ever come again.

I will still attend as I'm 100% Latics to the core. I dont go to many away games mainly due to cost and respect everyone of you who does go to them, but I'm somebody who plans holidays around my home games.

KTF boys and girls.

Lancy

I'd honestly go along with that, except the Alan Hardy bit.

Other than his living off children and being one of the undead, I can't see what people have against him. I've only met him a couple of times and on both occasions he's been helpful and diplomatic (pick your occasion). Are you sure you didn't ring up miffed and ask him something he was in no position to agree to. Or he laughed along with the situation rather than 'at you'?

It just is in no way representative of what I have seen.

I'm not saying it's easy, but if I knew something was effecting my health that badly I would be doing everything I could to stop, hence the "i don't want to quit" thing to me is total bull:censored:. My dad smoked 20 a day for years, he quit before my older brother was born, it can be done, it's a choice.

It's certainly a choice.

I decided to smoke, knowing it was awful for my health. But it does feel good at the time.

I stopped when a camera started tickling my brain on its way down my nose.

(I guess I'm similar to your dad, just the incentive was different).

A football match generally is not so important in the big scheme and is outweighed by smoking.

Well I should have said I definitely only had one the week before this and none the week before that. You're right it wouldn't be easy to not have a drink for the rest of my life, but then again, having the odd drink isn't killing me is it?

Not easy at all. But it is doable.

Nicotine is just about the most addictive substance known to man.

Based on the level of dependence, the most common measure for determining the addictiveness of a drug, the substances ranked as follows, from most to least addictive:

1.Nicotine

2.Heroin

3.Cocaine

4.Alcohol

5.Caffeine

6.Marijuana

Mrs o4u used a site called www.whyquit.com as a support for quitting and successfully went cold turkey.

Nicotine patches etc retain your dependence on nicotine. They're a drug company dream.

Edited by opinions4u

It's certainly a choice.

I decided to smoke, knowing it was awful for my health. But it does feel good at the time.

I stopped when a camera started tickling my brain on its way down my nose.

(I guess I'm similar to your dad, just the incentive was different).

A football match generally is not so important in the big scheme and is outweighed by smoking.

I'm not saying you should stop smoking for football (although I do find it quite ridiculous someone can't manage for 105mins without a cigarette), i'm just saying the idea of having no intention of trying to quit is beyond belief. I find that significantly reducing my chances of getting a number of types of cancer and improving my health in general would be incentive enough.

I'm not saying you should stop smoking for football (although I do find it quite ridiculous someone can't manage for 105mins without a cigarette), i'm just saying the idea of having no intention of trying to quit is beyond belief. I find that significantly reducing my chances of getting a number of types of cancer and improving my health in general would be incentive enough.

If your 50 years old I would suggest its less of a worry to you...for a whole host of reasons...

Not easy at all. But it is doable.

Nicotine is just about the most addictive substance known to man.

Based on the level of dependence, the most common measure for determining the addictiveness of a drug, the substances ranked as follows, from most to least addictive:

1.Nicotine

2.Heroin

3.Cocaine

4.Alcohol

5.Caffeine

6.Marijuana

Mrs o4u used a site called www.whyquit.com as a support for quitting and successfully went cold turkey.

Nicotine patches etc retain your dependence on nicotine. They're a drug company dream.

Surely heroin is more addictive and crystal meth must be pretty high on the list as well.

Surely heroin is more addictive and crystal meth must be pretty high on the list as well.

Not according to a number of scientific studies...

You still think it isnt a big deal to stop smoking ? After all, its so easy to get off smack...

Edited by oafc0000

KTF boys and girls.

Lancy

Back on top ... I'm dying for a cig :blink:

Some interesting points here Lancy ......

The whole knowledge of the effects of smoking have been around for quite a while though.

People enjoy smoking...

I enjoy

• drinking
  • red meat
  • fatty foods

Life is not just about doing healthy boring things :) and how much longer do you think not smoking would give someone ? My granddad smoked every day and died when he was 80.... I know very healthy people who have died earlier...

It was here actually:

http://www.drugrehabtreatment.com/most-addictive-drugs.html

I did mean to post the link - it was something I remember being gobsmacked by a few years ago.

Jeez - and here's me trying to guide the thread away from smoking :grin:

I thought they'd worked it out at 5 minutes a tab. But that could have been someone telling me bollocks.

If they did then my Dad should have died about 30 years ago, but the old bugger's still going strong.

Edited by opinions4u