Barry Owen on Attendances

The suggestion is allowing an extra 3,000 people in for free would cost us more. Not sure how really...

The safety certificate dictates how many stewards you need regardless of the attendance unless the rules have changed.

Your not going to need a lot of extra police for kids...

If today we have 6,000 people coming into the stadium and we charge x amount to sell food in the stadium. I am sure we could sort a better deal if we are getting 9,000 through the door...

...and why would we want these extra young fans in anyway? To make the massive amounts they bring through the door currently? No, for future earnings.

Catch 'em young, let them grow with the club and then gut them to the full extent when they are older.

It will lose money now, but you can hardly moan about crowds on the one hand and then wave a hand at them when the cost isn't beneficial immediatley. It would be a loss leader which TTA in all likelihood wouldn't see a penny of though.

The biggest thing I would say is the sectioning* of the idea. I don't want them in my face, so I'd shift to another part of the stadium. I'd still appreciate the commitment (rather than moaning), but like alot of others don't really want it next to me (I like to become a slight pottymouth at times).

*and maybe alter the amount of free spaces for bigger games.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Barry should stop trying to convey everything on his own. The Trust is a collective or supposed to be - TTA should be made to listen. It's our club not theirs. Once they've made their profit we won't see them for dust and whilst I'm grateful for a lot of what they have done, they are selling the club's future short by not having a dedicated marketing strategy. Their apathy will affect the long term furture of the club whether they build the Failswoth Fun Park or not!

Anyhow I've just had a bollocking for getting involved in a debate...Mrs. P is not happy.... :unsure:

We are only hear now though about how little the club have been listening... and not from Barry... I thought the idea of the trust was to let the fans know what was going on ?

The club do listen dont get me wrong, but they get tired very quickly and want measure improving ASAP to see results, The Trust can only keep on pecking there heads with ideas and suggestions, its the club who have to action things

So you agree?

whats not to agree with,

It's hardly head on block mate, I think we all know those were the reasons that Barry went to the Bison.

Out of interest, in comparison to other clubs how many of them use outside company caterers to look after the food?

dont know the answe to that but imo 85 % of clubs would do there own catering

Maybe Barry should stop trying to convey everything on his own. The Trust is a collective or supposed to be - TTA should be made to listen. It's our club not theirs. Once they've made their profit we won't see them for dust and whilst I'm grateful for a lot of what they have done, they are selling the club's future short by not having a dedicated marketing strategy. Their apathy will affect the long term furture of the club whether they build the Failswoth Fun Park or not!

sad to say its not our club .. It is there's and there's alone,

They make the business decisions right or wrong they have the final say, we will just be here to pick up the pieces and watch the games when or if they leave

sad to say its not our club .. It is there's and there's alone,

They make the business decisions right or wrong they have the final say, we will just be here to pick up the pieces and watch the games when or if they leave

Cool... Give me a shout when the deal is done, and where picking up the pieces again... Will save my money in the mean time for that day...

Edited by oafc0000

The club wants change, the fans NEED change, the owners are desperate for change but does the workings of the club want change?

The owners seem desperate to get this stadium built. We've very little commercially since Jarvis left, things that were happening ie. Fans Fixture have dried up.

I remember not so long ago going to BP was enjoyable, the fans, team were together. Nowadays it's a dire place to go, there is an atmosphere at BP but it's a nasty atmosphere, hostile, unwelcoming. It's no longer fun to go watch a game of football there. I've not been to a home game all season because the overall experience is rank.

We need some positive things coming out of BP. I almost thought they had turned a corner this summer when they started a number of promotions that got my interest. Unfortunately it ended all too soon as they had a falling out with people trying to do their bit for the club.

i live in wakefield now about 1 mile from belle view,,home of the wakefield wildcats

on nearly every junction,,pub car parks,,shops,,u name it,,there are massive and i mean massive billboards advertising the next home game the wildcats have....out of towners have no choice but to see these boards and im sure they must have attracted people from far away.....beaware,,living in wakefield,,,you know who the wildcats are playing week in week out...the local paper,,,the wakefield express,,,all the back page is about the wilcats and more....even if they have nothing to report,,the back page is filled somehow

prove me right if im wrong but if i drive through oldham tomorrow,,would i find out who latics next home game is against and when...i doubt it....im trying to set up my own business and i have found out advertising is essential to future success...

Cool... Give me a shout when the deal is done, and where picking up the pieces again... Will save my money in the mean time for that day...

if you came to the games and encouraged your mates to come back with you, others may follow.... You never know !!!

TTA maybe able to sell the club quicker if they get the much needed revenue bacvk to kick off the re-development plans

if you came to the games and encouraged your mates to come back with you, others may follow.... You never know !!!

TTA maybe able to sell the club quicker if they get the much needed revenue bacvk to kick off the re-development plans

Anyone got Gold and Sullivan's numbers? Would TTA know them?

Nah... From this point it plays out one way...

The trust feel powerless... The fans are divided.... TTA want out... The new stadium will happen regardless from this point.

The money for the project is going to be of far higher levels than a couple of hundred fans can influence. I think TTA are to their word to provide a new stadium etc. I can see us though sat on a new site with very limited revenue streams and on land which is worth far less...

In the mean time I will concentrate on getting ready for the arrival of the young one, save my money (it wont in real terms be going into the club) and check back when they have gone and we have owners in pushing this club forward...

Not saying everyone should do that. If you enjoy going still keep going. But if your going to just "support" the club, your not actually doing that I feel.... The sale of the land and TTA exit seem to be the important thing now... I doubt lack of fans is going to change much to be frank...

Edited by oafc0000

It's hardly head on block mate, I think we all know those were the reasons that Barry went to the Bison.

Out of interest, in comparison to other clubs how many of them use outside company caterers to look after the food?

I bet out of those that do, none of them use Azure. They have got to be THE worst excuse for caterers I have ever come across.

If they were running a café on the high street, they'd be out of business within days. But they're not are they? They've got a captive audience of 3500 people who they can fleece with their substandard products and services on a weekly basis. The fact that they don't maximise this fleecing by either having enough product or enough bodies with which to serve the queuing mugs like us makes them even more of joke. How much can it cost to employ someone on minimum wage for a couple of hours to hand out pies?? It's hardly rocket science.

Remember when they served out of date beer and then tried to fob us off with bull:censored: excuses like "it's the date it was bottled" in the RRE??. That says it all for me. The club should review the agreement with them immediately on the grounds of serious misconduct/breach of contract.

It's one of few issues that the club are facing at the moment that they can actually do something about.

well i'd say they run the club,there are all these problems..who is to blame that:

1/there is no marketing in the club?

2/the stadium is a dump?

3/fans are having to pay £20 to sit in that dump?

4/we are looking at a new "home" in failsworth, which is nothing more that a complete deathwish IMO.

i didn't renew my season ticket this year for the first time in 10 or so years...have i had anyone phone or write to me asking why?

no, barry rants off without thought or reason..again.

but i suppose all those stamps or phone calls cost money anyway, don't want another expenditure do they?

This is a very good point. A lot of stuff being talked about is ideas to attract new customers it doesn't focus on keeping the old ones. One person who doesn't renew their season ticket and opts to pick and choose their games will probably spend less at the club. But in all my years of having a season ticket and not having one (and sometimes going from an expensive season ticket to a cheaper one) I don't think either my Dad (who paid for it) nor I have ever received a phone call asking us why we aren't renewing or are downgrading. Often the issues will be personal (e.g. lack of funds) but I think a few of us would admit to that if Alan Hardy (or whoever from the club rang us up- point being I don't know the marketing people's names so if they exist they can't be much good). Sometimes the issues will be out of the clubs control (moving away from the are for example). But there are those times when money isn't an issue, service and value for money are the issue. Be it on the pitch, off the pitch or whereever and this is something the club can control. Managers have been fired (and presumably paid off under contract) for supposedly diminished season ticket sales but have the club done anything else to ensure season ticket sales don't fall bar keeping the price steady (and this isn't all that good value- compared to the standard but it is compared to what other clubs charge).

Yes getting new customers in is important- but so is keeping the old and the club is doing a lot in either aspect. Certainly not enough to warrant a moan at the limited readership of the Chron.

I don't think either my Dad (who paid for it) nor I have ever received a phone call asking us why we aren't renewing or are downgrading.

In all my time I've had more phone calls off Southend* than I've had off Oldham.

They were looking for sponsorship of their youth team. I've been and gone as an Oldham ST holder three seperate times now, and never even had an enquiry as to why, or how/if I could be retrieved.

*I went to a game there a year and a half ago. Compared to Oldham's twenty years I've clocked up.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

A simple answer as to why no one is coming - cost.

For example 2 people (adults) - 2 matches last week. Tickets bought beforehand £72. 1 programme per match £6. 2 Strike it lucky tickets per match £4. Pie each and drink at each match - £15. TOTAL best part of £100. I know because this is what I do with a relative.

How many people can afford that?

Halve entrance fee for adults - £10 across the board. Reduce pensioners entrance age to 60. They get free bus travel at that age but pay full price for a match ticket.

If it doesn't work right away - surely it would be better than sitting there criticising the fans who can't afford prices in this financial climate.

A simple answer as to why no one is coming - cost.

For example 2 people (adults) - 2 matches last week. Tickets bought beforehand £72. 1 programme per match £6. 2 Strike it lucky tickets per match £4. Pie each and drink at each match - £15. TOTAL best part of £100. I know because this is what I do with a relative.

How many people can afford that?

Halve entrance fee for adults - £10 across the board. Reduce pensioners entrance age to 60. They get free bus travel at that age but pay full price for a match ticket.

If it doesn't work right away - surely it would be better than sitting there criticising the fans who can't afford prices in this financial climate.

Can hear Diego marching over the horizon with ominous dread...soapbox in one hand - keyboard in the other... :tongue1:

Edited by oafcprozac

Ticket cost doesn't concern me. I've paid £20 for a few seasons now and I'd pay it to watch latics again.

Same with me. Then again it costs me £50 before anything anyway, so £5 isn't going to make a jot of difference to me watching a game.

Having said that, this doesn't mean I want to be taken for a mug, like, well picking one out of the hat - Charlton on Saturday.

another thing thats killing the game at lower levels is the banning of smoking

its killed the pub game and its now got its teeth into football...imo

infact you could say the same thing about most social activities

...and football in the non-league continues on the up and up in watchability. Gateshead have a slight outside area from the turnstiles before it opens up. They stick a steward there, and let anyone out for a smoke.

Then again, alot of places don't bother trying. Brighton, Accrington, Villa, Bristol Rovers - all places I've seen smoking at in the last year or so with little problem.

another thing thats killing the game at lower levels is the banning of smoking

its killed the pub game and its now got its teeth into football...imo

infact you could say the same thing about most social activities

sorry cant agree with you there ...

It doesnt stop people flying for 2,3,4,-24 hours and not having a cig...

100 mins without a cig ??????

I know the club is alienating students as you have to be under 21. Most clubs allow student entry with an NUS card. You can get into City for £15 with NUS.

I can get a NUS card. I work full time and get a decent wage, but I'm doing some studies that work pay for that entitle me to a card.

Should I really get a discount? :huh:

Do latics (unofficially?) let you have a student card if you've a NUS card even if over 21? :wink:

I did not go when I was at Uni... I could not afford it... No student deals back then...

If I could of got in for kids prices I would of gone... Club choose to leave the seat free though...

20+ years supporting the club... Little long term thought in all those years and different owners :(

Edited by oafc0000