Barry Owen on Attendances

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt matter if the club sell 10000 pies a game the club dont get any extra money, the deal as been set, I dont know when the deal is too, so its not in the interest for the club to do this is it ???

Of course it is because this is keeping fans away, but why cant people at the club see this?

I would guess its on a per season basis, so here is a suggestion, last six games of the season we let in kids for free... add 3,000 to the attendance proving we can get lets say 9,000. When we come to restructure the new deal we charge more ? It will almost certainly be linked to attendances how much can charge.

Now lets say with a bit of foresight we did that last season we would be sitting pretty now....

Yeah, back to the catering agreement here, for me this doesn't stack up - I'm probably missing something but 'm sure the Latics contract would be, believe it or not - quite a lucrative one, so why aren't the club seemingly getting a good deal here? Or at least squeezing Azure on the current one. If it's contracted out for them to manage, they are doing a piss poor job of managing it. If as site manager I was reported to that match day had ran out of grub I'd be fuming, and as a KPI Azure would be paying penalties...

Anyhow I've just had a bollocking for getting involved in a debate...Mrs. P is not happy.... :unsure:

Get some kip Paul, you'll do yerself a mischief.

we are talking about a football match in open air,,,,its not as if we are sat in a closed box is it......

and before the smoking ban became law,,,i didnt hear one single person say :im not going to the game today because of all the smokers:,,,,,i never heard one person say im not going in the pub tonight because of all the smokers....

smoking is a really nasty habit but when you try telling someone they CANT have a smoke then they just not gonna show...

I'm sorry but I have done both. I think I've avoided going to a game because I've a bad chest and being near smokers only makes it worse and I know I've not gone to pubs because of my bad chest and left earlier than I've wanted to.

Roy Castle is the best example I can think of about smoking in confined spaces

Back on topic though, smoking at a game isnt reducing more than 35 people a game

Smokers are now used to the restrictions placed on there habitt

Not sure that is true... I think we have seen a gradule decline "partly" due to smoking ban.. Its had an impact... It was not immediate as well... My mate kept going and smoking in the toilets... He got kicked out and never came again...

Got to remember that this is on topic because all these "35"'s (at least) add up...

Roy Castle is the best example I can think of about smoking in confined spaces

Back on topic though, smoking at a game isn't reducing more than 35 people a game

Smokers are now used to the restrictions placed on there habit

Both the later statements are completely unknown. For all we know, it may have knocked a hundred off.

However, if it has knocked 35 fans off, I'll volunteer to be the guy standing in the car park at, say, £250 an hour. I'll even bring my own ribbon.

Yeah, back to the catering agreement here, for me this doesn't stack up - I'm probably missing something but 'm sure the Latics contract would be, believe it or not - quite a lucrative one, so why aren't the club seemingly getting a good deal here? Or at least squeezing Azure on the current one. If it's contracted out for them to manage, they are doing a piss poor job of managing it. If as site manager I was reported to that match day had ran out of grub I'd be fuming, and as a KPI Azure would be paying penalties...

You would imagine that guaranteed 6,000 customers every two weeks would be of great interest to many catering companies... 9,000 would be even more exciting...

dont know the ins and out of it, but I believe it is on the same basis the lads outside OT have there catering vans ....

Pay £x amount over the season pro - rata per game and have to adhere by certain standards ...

What ever profit they make at each game is theres no matter how many hot drinks or pies they sell

I've not read this entire thread, but why don't these people just quit smoking, somebody please enlighten me what the benefits of smoking are? Before someone says "well maybe they don't want to quit", that automatically makes them a total moron. You're paying money to shorten your life and reduce the quality of it on the whole, why would you not want to quit?

I'm sorry but I have done both. I think I've avoided going to a game because I've a bad chest and being near smokers only makes it worse and I know I've not gone to pubs because of my bad chest and left earlier than I've wanted to.

well your a first.....but you will stand there on a tuesday night -10 with a bad chest....or is it a case of picking on the easy target a smoker

I've not read this entire thread, but why don't these people just quit smoking, somebody please enlighten me what the benefits of smoking are? Before someone says "well maybe they don't want to quit", that automatically makes them a total moron. You're paying money to shorten your life and reduce the quality of it on the whole, why would you not want to quit?

Because it makes you feel good.

NB. And I quit years ago.

i would hazard a guess,,,,if the govt allowed smoking in open spaces it would add 1000 to every home game....how many non smokers now dont go to the game because they used to go with a smoker who doesnt go anymore because he cant smoke

very much doubt that

You would imagine that guaranteed 6,000 customers every two weeks would be of great interest to many catering companies... 9,000 would be even more exciting...

problem is we only get 3500 - 4500 majority of the games,big effort for little return for the catering companies..

Thats why we pay £1.60 for a bottle of coke and it only cost them 0.49 p max to buy

Have you had a drink (alcohol) today, or sometime this week? Alcohol doesn't do wonders for your health and anyone drinking above the weekly limits (21 units for a man) is supposedly doing themselves harm in the long run (21 units is a quiet Friday night for some people on here). Now try going teetotal for the rest of your days. Not that easy is it.

Smoking is 100x worse (trust me I've quit)- the best thing the current Chief Medical Officer has done IMHO is not the smoking ban but raising the age of smoking to 18 as that means all those rebellious teenagers looking for a way to rebel (in a very conformist sort of way)- I was one of them now find it just as easy to rebel against their parents with alcohol as smoking. The NHS won't see the benefits for a good 20 years but it will see them.

well your a first.....but you will stand there on a tuesday night -10 with a bad chest....or is it a case of picking on the easy target a smoker

No on both occassions it wasn't anywhere near that cold- I've not gone to pubs in the middle of summer because I've a bad chest.

Just because people didn't "not go" to pubs doesn't mean they were happy with smoking in pubs - they didn't have a choice. used to get pissed off with smoking in pubs - ok, someone chooses to smoke - their choice, but why should I have to end up stinking like an ash tray 'cos of someone else's choice?

I can't think of any other "hobby" that has so much unavoidable, direct impact on other people who do not partake in it.

Oh and I know a lot of people who avoided pubs pre-smoking ban and now go into pubs more often than before - my wife and a few of her mates for a start - not that that is a good change necesaarily.

very much doubt that

problem is we only get 3500 - 4500 majority of the games,big effort for little return for the catering companies..

Thats why we pay £1.60 for a bottle of coke and it only cost them 0.49 p max to buy

Previous season average have been around the 5500 mark...

4500 potential customer at the worse is a big opportunity to make a tidy profit!

Edited by oafc0000

and ...

let's be honest here, you're saying a smoker should have the right to affect an asthmatic, but an asthmatic should not have the right to attend a football game and complain about smoking?

Jeez, that's some world.

Previous season average have been around the 5500 mark...

But there was a smoking ban last year.

I'm not saying Wardle is wrong with his guess. I'm thinking he'll be about right. But even at that level, it is worth putting something on to allow smokers to nip out for a tab, like a weakbladdered person would whip off for a pee.

• Enjoyable
  • Cope with stressful situations
  • Relaxing
  • Combats boredom
  • Keeps weight down
  • Helps focus
  • Fights loneliness and depression

Some of the claims made by smokers... Would you just give up something like this.... Remember the addiction part before answering...

But there was a smoking ban last year.

I'm not saying Wardle is wrong with his guess. I'm thinking he'll be about right. But even at that level, it is worth putting something on to allow smokers to nip out for a tab, like a weakbladdered person would whip off for a pee.

Well you can not take smoking in isolation, claim its had a "huge" effect or ignore the fact a ban like this will have a gradule effect...

Its just one of the reasons why the attendances have struggled...

The problem is so simple and yet so difficult to solve.

Many of the younger generation in Oldham actually consider themsleves to be Mancunian. :petesake:

They don't care about Oldham and they don't care about Latics. If I go away with my mates they tell people they're from Manchester, I say I'm from Oldham and vehemently refute being a Manc, to their disgust. They embrace it and pretend to be Ian Brown.

Crucially, they therefore think it's perfectly acceptable to support United/City, plus they enjoy it for free!

I fear it will only get worse.

As ever, Stitch is on the money.

I don't even know who wardlelatic is, so why he would make statements as to how I feel or how club decisions are made is beyond me.

Scary as to how little a senior member of the trust knows about the club.

Thank you to all those who have made their points. Some very valid comments.