Barry Owen on Attendances

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this thread is about trying to get supporters back to bp and the reasons they left...

up to now all ive heard is why 1 bloke with asthma can now go to bp as opposed to many people not going due to none smoking....like its been said,,,,the club need to compromise here somewere and get them back,,,,,

just putting over my view johnny,,,just like you got yours

fair enough, but going on about the law of non-smoking at EVERY football club in the land ,isn't a reasonable fact to throw up..its years ago now since it was put in force,yet we saw a rise when shez got us into the play off semis...its about sucess on the pitch in the end.

i know that,,,,but is it the law of the land that has been suggested for the gates to open at h/t

lol..picture the scene..

steward 1-"ok ..thats 297 just gone for a ciggie"

laters...

steward 2-ok...thats 362 just back from a ciggie"

lol...ok,i'm jesting,but if you really have an issuse about it, contact the club!

i take on board all your stats and whatever but they not convincing me...

i used to go with minimum 15 blokes every week

out of the 15 i just counted 10 who smoke

these 10 dont go anymore and they dont go to the pub like they used too

thats 10 in our little possie

how many more are their

So 10 blokes stopping going because of the smoking ban (no other factors involved at all in any form- yeah right) from your group of friends means that averaged out over Oldhams' attendances mean that thousands no longer go because of the smoking ban. Don't make me laugh. In 21 years of going to Oldham and sitting near people and going with others I can count the number of people who used to smoke/or still do smoke on the fingers of one hand (if I was from Burnley). One stopped going and the last time I saw him he was wearing a Leeds shirt (it was the league cup game about 7 years ago), one had stopped smoking before I'd even met him- the only reason I knew he smoked was because he was in Intensive Care for 3 months and he's the reason why my Dad goes (unfortunately said gentleman is no longer with us). One quit after his first heart attack- he had another a couple of months ago. The other 3 still smoke. My personal experience seems to contradict yours

Right then out of all the people that includes I'm going to count the number of people who have a health condition which is made worse by smoking, yep its a bigger number. Whilst loads of people smoke the number of people who have a medical condition made worse by smoking (even if they have never smoked a cigarrette in their lives) is higher (especially when you factor in all those people who smoke who have a medical condition worsened by smoking). The needs of the many should almost always out weigh the needs of the few and I'm sorry but in the modern age the needs of the many means there should be a smoking ban

They could create a smoking area outside of the ground... simple...

i know that,,,,but is it the law of the land that has been suggested for the gates to open at h/t

For all the hassle this would be, stewarding the area, making sure only those who had paid to get in were let back in...etc.. how many would it actually put on the gate? 10? 100?

So the big idea to get more people in is a guarantee that they will be let out?

For all the hassle this would be, stewarding the area, making sure only those who had paid to get in were let back in...etc.. how many would it actually put on the gate? 10? 100?

Hassel would be so small I would suggest...

Other clubs view it as worth while...

Hey you know, :censored: it... The club arent listening and fans shoot down suggestions :)

Where doomed :D

Edited by oafc0000

lets hear your ideas to getting the supporters back

here what i suggested not only last week...

Just looking at the programme and Saturday is designated as a family day v Yeovil, perhaps Webmonkey could re-post the article on the fishal?

but shouldn't it be in the chron?

shouldn't it be on the local radio?

shouldn't there be some advertising in oldham town centre...around the hospital...top of sheepfoot lane.... oldham swimming baths/sports hall...schools and the collage...prominent sites?

should the club be aiming to get the lapsed fanbase back..asking non renewed season ticket holders from last season 1/ why they didn't and 2/do they still go?.....offering discounts to the ones who answer "no"?

or is it cause it costs money to advertise?

pathetic innit?

reduce the entrance fee on saturday and there will be a lot more coming along to see what the fuss is all about..simples.

a bit of marketing from the latics is needed...chuck in some offers to get the seats filling again.

Here's an idea- look very carefully at the legislation to ensure that part of the area at the back of the Chaddy for example could become a smoking area (its exposed on at least 3 sides), or see if we can let people out to have a cheeky tab. Advertise it like :censored: -that's a big one for the club and see if it brings any more fans in for one game compared to extra costs. The worst thing that happens is that the club stops loosing some of its supporters thanks to a smoking ban, if it works keep the plan going for 5 games and reassess and so on and so on with the number of games eventually reaching season length.

Other football clubs are looking at building smoking shelters....

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/stoke...il/article.html

if latics want to build a smoking shelter, then they should not discriminate against other minority groups of society ...

so can leezy, woozer and i have a punk shelter to pogo in? B)

Maybe smokers could be let in for free but have to pay everytime they want to go out for a cigarette. The club could claim that they are helping the 'Quit It' campaign and get subsidised.

Maybe smokers could pay the same price as everyone else but if they want to leave it costs them- less than the fine for smoking insde naturally. Or how about charging smokers £25/game instead of £20 and issuing them with special tickets which allows unlimited entry and exit for tabs.

Ok, we've determined that an undefined number of smokers may not be at BP on matchday because of a combination of legislation and club attitude towards smokers.

Should we move on and see if we can identify other reasons and solutions, or have we already done that?

Ok, we've determined that an undefined number of smokers may not be at BP on matchday because of a combination of legislation and club attitude towards smokers.

Should we move on and see if we can identify other reasons and solutions, or have we already done that?

...we havent just been talking about smoking...