I was asked an interesting question the other day

do you or do you know of a supporter who doesn't rate what the majority of fans regard as the best player? It was a general club question, but I'm guessing Andy Ritchie is the most popular man to play for us, does anyone know of anyone who doesn't have time for him or is it just a silly question?

Guest sheridans_world

Andy Ritchie is probably a bit too much of a legend. But you can consider players like Richie Wellens and Sean Gregan and opinion is split down the middle. Even though both of the aforementioned players have been proven as much more than competent.

do you or do you know of a supporter who doesn't rate what the majority of fans regard as the best player? It was a general club question, but I'm guessing Andy Ritchie is the most popular man to play for us, does anyone know of anyone who doesn't have time for him or is it just a silly question?

I think it would be hard to not rate a player like Ritchie or the likes of Bobby Johnstone before him, or perhaps Big Shez in recent times. Once in a while we get a truly outstanding footballer at the club, and when you see them play their quality just shines through.

How the rest are rated really is down to a matter of opinion, I was a big Kilkenny fan, many weren't...... I think Neil Eardley is the most over rated player ever to pull on a blue shirt, some thought he was the best young player we've had in years. But as I say, in the case of somebody like Ritchie, a true great, nobody seems to disagree.

How the rest are rated really is down to a matter of opinion, I was a big Kilkenny fan, many weren't...... I think Neil Eardley is the most over rated player ever to pull on a blue shirt, some thought he was the best young player we've had in years.

They say opposites attract. Wanna hook up? :blush:

Which players do you think the majority rate post prem? I mean those players who have played well in an Oldham shirt not good players who have not done the business here. I would say off the top of my head.

Duxbury, Big Shez, Eyres, Wellens, Hall, Armstrong, Hill, Porter, Garnet, Serrant, Taylor, Wjihnard, Beckett, Hughes.

Im sure I have missed some obvious ones.

Which players do you think the majority rate post prem? I mean those players who have played well in an Oldham shirt not good players who have not done the business here. I would say off the top of my head.

Duxbury, Big Shez, Eyres, Wellens, Hall, Armstrong, Hill, Porter, Garnet, Serrant, Taylor, Wjihnard, Beckett, Hughes.

Sinnott?

Garnett but no Murray?!?!

Although I was younger, and relatively naive football-wise, and having only caught him in his latter years, I must admit I never rated Oooo Roger Palmer.

I always thought the chant was better than the player!

Beckett is playing for Gainsborough Trinity. Too good for such a low level IMO!

24 goals in 43 games for us says it all!

Including a fair number of pens IIRC, but my main concern was that to set him up for them we seemed to have to play 100% to his game, so the team hardly scored a goal unless it was from him. I honestly would rate Porter, that murderer and Abott, amongst others, well above Beckett.

Although I was younger, and relatively naive football-wise, and having only caught him in his latter years, I must admit I never rated Oooo Roger Palmer.

Saying...... even thinking that is a crime worse than treason or blasphemy!!!!!

Good god man!!!!!!!

Relatively naive indeed......HOW DARE YOU!!!!! HOW DARE YOU!!!! (In Max from Paddy and Max stylee!)

That's a scandalous statement to make.

Bed early for you tonight, no supper, no telly and light out!!!!

And you're not going to the football on Saturday now either for that filth and you can tell your mates that you won't be playing out for the rest of the week either.

I don't remember Dux being all that good for us although I guess he was playing in some pretty rotten sides for the majority of the time.

How about pre-prem.....or just in general you favorite. off the top of my little merry head..hic.....

Ron Futcher - first striker I saw demolish an advertising board at the chaddy end going for goal and got up and shook it off.

Denis Irwin - best full back in the country at the time and a mean free kicker too.

Earl Barrett - fastest defender in the country. I believe he could run 100 meters near 10 seconds. Never forget when an opposition player tried to outrun him and he ran out of pitch into the metal fencing infront of the chaddy - ouch

Ricky Holden - just cause he was cheeky. FA semi reply against Man utd. He took a throw in - no-one in a blue shirt wanted it so he rolled it off the back of the Man utd player who just kicked it out and was running away - LOL

Frankie Bunn - just the 6 goal record says it all

Tommy Wright - smallest person on the pitch at Maine rd to score two goals with his head against city

Roger Palmer - because he always seem to be sliding in from the half way line to get them in even on the plastic pitch

Andy Goram - Cocky goalie he was but he almost scored a goal at BP on a windy night and forced a great save from the opposite number one.

In fact - the entire 89-90 squad for me. What they did that season was remarkable.

And one for sheer atmosphere - Playing Liverpool in a Milk Cup round. I think we drew at Anfield but got stuffed at home 5-2. Seeing the likes of Ian Rush, Craig Johnstone, Bruce Grobbleaar, Jan Molby. Seeing the Chaddy realising the class on that pitch to even clap their goals and seeing those Players coming to the chaddy end at the time to clap us too.

awwwwwwwwwwwwww memories. Don't be thinking I see anything like that again for awhile....I can only hope.

How about pre-prem.....or just in general you favorite. off the top of my little merry head..hic.....

And one for sheer atmosphere - Playing Liverpool in a Milk Cup round. I think we drew at Anfield but got stuffed at home 5-2. Seeing the likes of Ian Rush, Craig Johnstone, Bruce Grobbleaar, Jan Molby. Seeing the Chaddy realising the class on that pitch to even clap their goals and seeing those Players coming to the chaddy end at the time to clap us too.

awwwwwwwwwwwwww memories. Don't be thinking I see anything like that again for awhile....I can only hope.

Liverpools ex supersub David Fairclough bagging both for us that night!

My memory is bloody going I'll tell you but now that you mentioned his name....it hit home.

Thanks Futchersbriefs - any word on How Ron and Paul are doing these days? - wow the futcher twins...

:grin: No problems. They haven't gone down the 'Shane warne' route and grown lots of hair back :wink:

Not sure about Paul after he left local club Ashton Utd, Whilst the better finisher/angrier of the two Ronald was at Bradford City as their youth development officer

Though only being their briefs, I don't get out much these days :lol:

why are so many of your posts pointless and meaningless?

Liverpools ex supersub David Fairclough bagging both for us that night!

Great night! - Thanks for jogging that one. How about Spurs beating us 4-2 on the artificial pitch..Waddle, Hoddle and Ardiles superb...if you could pass the ball that pitch brought out the best in you..

Edited by RichmondLatic