New stadium

i sincerely hope you will be ready to eat huge portions of humble pie when your prophecys of doom dont appear.

I would be more than happy to do so.

But I don't think I'll have to. You see, you can see what kind of trajectory the club is on by merely looking at its recent history and the current response to its predicament.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the (not outlandish) amounts of money they spent on loanees to suppliment their kids and journeymen in their promotion season would no doubt have been better on building a new stand, to show ambition? Would they have got promoted earlier if they had spent less on players but more on the ground? You reduce yourself into an absurdity. All this about the psychic energy waves given off by the perception of ambition are only as strong as any other fanatics' beliefs, they seem to come true if people belive them.

Supposing, people BELIEVED that the plan was actually for a relatively modest stadium which COULD and WOULD be extended easily at need, with the help of extra income flows and without the pointless burden of spending millions extra before there was the need, would it be a sensible plan? Because that might just be what's happening, only miserable twats like you are determined to force people to see past the common sense that we would use if it was our own money and search for treachery and disaster round every corner.

Well said LL. They have been sensible, only just building the 3rd stand as they now beleive they require it after stabalizing themselves as a championship club. (hopefully that means no more rent a stand for us next time we play them :grin: )

I'd like to take this oppertunity to let you all know, I want legroom. :censored: the capacity, location, lego-style ground. I'm just fed up scraping my shins when we score......

Although I've not had to worry about that recently.

Well said LL. They have been sensible, only just building the 3rd stand as they now beleive they require it after stabalizing themselves as a championship club. (hopefully that means no more rent a stand for us next time we play them :grin: )

Bad news I think. The Gene Kelly Stand will remain for Visitors.

Have you not been listening? We will never play them again. Our only local games in the future will be against Rochdale, Bury and Macclesfield blah blah blah.

The good news is that just because one person says something fourteen thousand times, doesn't mean that is what will happen.

Erm, the comparison was with Blackpool spending money on a squad first and ground later, when they needed more seats. Or did you see that and duck it?

And will you address my suggestion that it precisely your sort of determination to see disaster rather than progressive common sense into the plan that is likely to convince fans that we are going nowhere just at the moment when we MAY have a quite cunning plan to take us forward? So far as I can see the only problem that you, "ambition," line hinges on is PERCEPTIONS -and you are the biggest hawker of negative PERCEPTIONS that I know of associated with the club.

As already said, though, Balckpool's situation was unintentional. They meant to have the stadium first and would have had to try to complete the project no matter what happened on the pitch.

I am not trying to convince anybody of anything. I'm just offering a counterbalance to the nodding doggery that's the majority viewpoint on here, based on trends and events that anybody can see should they open their eyes. Hawking perceptions has nothing to do with it. It's all about interpreting information.

I notice that you didn't take up my £100 promotion challenge, by the way. Don't worry, though, you're not on your own. The optimism of some people, it seems, doesn't extend to putting their money where their mouths are. Ah well.

Have you not been listening? We will never play them again. Our only local games in the future will be against Rochdale, Bury and Macclesfield blah blah blah.

The good news is that just because one person says something fourteen thousand times, doesn't mean that is what will happen.

And the bad news is that just because a "vocal minority" on here believe the opposite it doesn't mean that will happen either...

It doesn't mean it won't.

3000-odd posts, by the way, son, not 14000. And not all of them on this subject by any means.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I'd like to take this oppertunity to let you all know, I want legroom. :censored: the capacity, location, lego-style ground. I'm just fed up scraping my shins when we score......

Although I've not had to worry about that recently.

Are you Mr P.Crouch from London?

No they didn't. As already said, none of this was intentional. They simply had to finish the ground off no matter what happened on the football side.

No they didn't. As already said, none of this was intentional. They simply had to finish the ground off no matter what happened on the football side.

My point was they could of done it years ago and wasted :censored: loads of money which they didnt have at the time. like your propsing we do by adding another 4000 seats at how ever many millions.

My point was they could of done it years ago and wasted :censored: loads of money which they didnt have at the time. like your propsing we do by adding another 4000 seats at how ever many millions.

They intended to do it years ago. Watch my lips: they ran out of money and had to complete the job as and when.

Nobody seemed to think the club was wasting money when the original 16000 capacity was announced. A full quarter of the capacity is lopped off overnight and people just play follow the leader without a thought for the obvious thinking behind it.

'Harmlessly passing their time in the grassland away,

'Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.

'You better watch out-there may be dogs about...'

Whats got me wearing my deerstalker and smoking my pipe is the fact that we were told that building had to stop on the re-development of BP because of the financial climate, SO, how come the economic climate is ok to go ahead with a complete new re-build.

Do they have a different currency in failsworth?

Is it because they can make more room to build houses by flattening the ground?

Are we being fed more pork pies than a scouser in the dock?

Can somebody enlighten me please because things are starting to smell like grimsby on a hot summers day.

I notice that you didn't take up my £100 promotion challenge, by the way. Don't worry, though, you're not on your own. The optimism of some people, it seems, doesn't extend to putting their money where their mouths are. Ah well.

Apologies if I missed your reply, but I thought that the last item concerning that was me asking for specific terms? I'm not going to give you evens on promotion in the next season or two when there is more than one club also trying to achieve promotion (some would say that every team in the division was hoping for it at the start of the season, and we are talking about long-term consequences) and as you don't expect our league position to change, ever, there would need to be some event or cut off point that would trigger me paying out. If we agree terms I will accept your challenge and even deposit the cash somewhere suitable (at a suitable time, such as after Christmas when I might be able to afford to come off the game).

It doesn't mean it won't.

You're right, it doesn't. However, you talk of 'bad news' as if you know for certain what the future holds. In our 114 year history, we have been in the top division for a couple of spells, in the bottom division and had lengthy spells in between. There is no reason to suppose that the next 114 years will not be similar. What happens next in terms of our success or otherwise comes down to what happens on the pitch and not the number of seats in the stadium.

One thing is for sure, somebody will be able to say that they were right because all of the possibilities have been put forward on this forum, just that no other has been repeated as many times as yours.

Apologies if I missed your reply, but I thought that the last item concerning that was me asking for specific terms? I'm not going to give you evens on promotion in the next season or two when there is more than one club also trying to achieve promotion (some would say that every team in the division was hoping for it at the start of the season, and we are talking about long-term consequences) and as you don't expect our league position to change, ever, there would need to be some event or cut off point that would trigger me paying out. If we agree terms I will accept your challenge and even deposit the cash somewhere suitable (at a suitable time, such as after Christmas when I might be able to afford to come off the game).

You said that promotion this season isn't an impossibility. I said that it is and offered to pay £100 to a charity of your choice if you'd do the same if I'm right.

Those are the terms. Thye're very simple.

You're right, it doesn't. However, you talk of 'bad news' as if you know for certain what the future holds. In our 114 year history, we have been in the top division for a couple of spells, in the bottom division and had lengthy spells in between. There is no reason to suppose that the next 114 years will not be similar. What happens next in terms of our success or otherwise comes down to what happens on the pitch and not the number of seats in the stadium.

One thing is for sure, somebody will be able to say that they were right because all of the possibilities have been put forward on this forum, just that no other has been repeated as many times as yours.

The size of the stadium reflects where the club expects to spend most of its time in future. Why else limit capacity to a level we've managed to exceed on numerous occasions since falling into this division?

As somebody has pointed out, very few clubs have built new stadiums which are actually smaller than the ones they're replacing.

Whats got me wearing my deerstalker and smoking my pipe is the fact that we were told that building had to stop on the re-development of BP because of the financial climate, SO, how come the economic climate is ok to go ahead with a complete new re-build.

Do they have a different currency in failsworth?

No, they have different land prices. If you sold your house in Mayfair and built one in Shaw, it would be much more affordable than rebuilding your house in Mayfair, even though you would be at more risk from cannibals, the undead and so on

Is it because they can make more room to build houses by flattening the ground?

More land to build on more valuable building land (see above) - and ALL of the land at BP worth more per acre for not having BP there.

Are we being fed more pork pies than a scouser in the dock?

Can somebody enlighten me please because things are starting to smell like grimsby on a hot summers day.

We haven't got new owners. They've been here since 2004. In that time we have stood still in terms of league position, lost 2000 regular fans, wasted hundreds of thousands on inept managers that they appointed and on a series of mediocre journeymen, demolished a stand with no prospect of replacement in sight, and the ground has started to deteriorate at an accelerating rate.

I agree that they're being practical-but it's definitely going to lead us towards being another Rochdale, Stockport or Bury. And, as I say, the public of Oldham has already demonstrated that it isn't interested in that. In fact, it seems that much of the Oldham public won't regard the club as belonging to Oldham anymore anyway, rightly or wrongly.

Apart from that everything's ok.

Yikes, in the whole of this thread I've actually stumbled across some facts!

When one looks at the achievements of the last 5 years, we should be grateful for our Subbuteo outfit.

*pulls forelock*

Fanks for your generous contribution!