New stadium

If we fill 12000 every week, then the owners who ever they be would extend the capacity. The extra revenue would take care of the expansion costs. 4000 seats over 23 games at £18 is just under £1.7 million. Given our current average is just over 5000, the extra turn over for a full stadium would be approx. £2.5 million on gate receipts alone.

We won't get 12000 every week even in the best of circumstances. Few other than the very top clubs build stadiums in the expectation that they will be full every week. Most clubs base their capactiies on the idea that they want to fill their grounds on occasion, ideally as often as possible because of success on the pitch bringing games against as many big clubs as possible.

That the proposed capacity at Failsworth is limited to 12000 reflects the limit of the ambition behind it. Any club with a catchment area like ours that hopes to establish itself in the Championship, and eventually push towards the top six, would be looking to attract considerably more than 12000 for games against the many big clubs that would stand in our way, particularly the northern clubs-the Sheffield two, Leeds, Huddersfield etc (presuming the latter two won't remain where they are.) After all, we surpassed that figure last time we were successful in that division, and in an era when crowds were lower right across the game.

There will be no extension. A 12000 limit clearly reflects intentions to merely survive in the lower divisions, with, at best, a fleeting Scunthorpe or Colchester brush with the Championship. Being brief, we will be told that no extension was needed, and down the crowds will go again-reinforcing the argument of those who say that 12000 is all that's needed.

This is our future (although the fleeting Championship seasons are probably just fantasy. Any future promotion campaign is more likely to be aimed at getting back into this division.)

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My prediction, yes, is that we will never be promoted under the current set-up, which includes in the present guise, at Failsworth, or at a ground share with Rochdale, Bury, or whomever, which is what I've consistently argued for some time. We will not be able to afford the quality it would take. If very significant investment in the team and in the club infrastructure came along then my view would, of course, alter.

I don't blame you for not taking up the bet, but if I remember correctly, it came about because you were arguing that promotion this season wasn't an impossibility, whereas I said it was. That was the basis of the challenge.

I don't blame myself for not taking the bet either - you offered me totally :censored: odds. I offered you a reasonable one in return and you have :censored: it.

I don't blame myself for not taking the bet either - you offered me totally :censored: odds. I offered you a reasonable one in return and you have :censored: it.

Nonsense. I'm not interested in odds. It isn't even a bet as such.

However, if you're not prepared to put your money where you're mouth is you shouldn't make rash claims (which you apparently don't really believe) as to the effect that it's feasible that we'll go up this season. Which is the only thing I contradicted at the time, despite the long-term view I have of the club's promotion chances.

Nonsense. I'm not interested in odds. It isn't even a bet as such.

However, if you're not prepared to put your money where you're mouth is you shouldn't make rash claims (which you apparently don't really believe) as to the effect that it's feasible that we'll go up this season. Which is the only thing I contradicted at the time, despite the long-term view I have of the club's promotion chances.

Completely missing the point of what Leeslover is saying regarding your bet.

This is great viewing entertainment.

OK forget odds, they just complicate matters.

I will lay a straight bet, to go to an agreed charity, of £100 that we will not be promoted during the remaining tenure of TTA.

There you go. What could possibly be simpler than that?

(Meanwhile I'll lay a small bet with myself of a cool beer with my tea that no-one takes up the offer.)

Bah, traffic cones.

Come back when you've nicked an entire set of temporary traffic lights. Genny included.

And set them up in the stairwell of your Hall.

Christ did we get a bollocking for that... :shock:

Out of interest how old are you? I always had you down as being, like me, of the tail-end of a generation where hardly anybody went to university.

Thereabouts. I'm early 40s, born in the midsts of the hippy revolution!

The escapade with the temporary traffic lights was 1986ish I think. Back then you just got a bollocking (from the police as well as your tutors) and agreed that it was a very silly thing to do and took all the 'borrowed' bits back to a specified place, after which no more was heard about it. :wink:

Edited by garcon

Thereabouts. I'm early 40s, born in the midsts of the hippy revolution!

The escapade with the temporary traffic lights was 1986ish I think. Back then you just got a bollocking (from the police as well as your tutors) and agreed that it was a very silly thing to do and took all the 'borrowed' bits back to a specified place, after which no more was heard about it. :wink:

You're of a generation when you still had to be reasonably intelligent to get into university. I failed half of my O-Levels and only attained semi-genius level quite a while later.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

You're of a generation when you still had to be reasonably intelligent to get into university. I failed half of my O-Levels and only attained semi-genius level quite a while later.

Me too then! :lol:

It was worth the toil though cos I received a full grant from Oldham LEA... Student loan? What's one of those? :grin:

I agree entirely, the current system is total bollocks. As long as you can read a university somewhere will take you in doing a degree in sleeping or something equally worthwhile.

I agree entirely, the current system is total bollocks. As long as you can read a university somewhere will take you in doing a degree in sleeping or something equally worthwhile.

You only have to overhear conversations at the bar in a student pub to realise something is seriously wrong.

Students are a business now.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

The government has totally lost the plot regarding higher education... 50% target is nuts...

I was sceptical when they made all the new universities and planned to increase the number of graduates they churned out. I was called an elitist. :lol:

I was sceptical when they made all the new universities and planned to increase the number of graduates they churned out. I was called an elitist. :lol:

:)

I don't accept the mass hysteria complaints of some people. There are still a lot of good university courses producing lots of good quality students has they always have but at the same time the number of pointless degrees and low calibre students has risen sharply...

:)

I don't accept the mass hysteria complaints of some people. There are still a lot of good university courses producing lots of good quality students has they always have but at the same time the number of pointless degrees and low calibre students has risen sharply...

What you say is true. There are obviously still plenty of clever students and good universities, but the target of 50% is madness. Not only is it a money making racket for a variety of enterprises, as well as academia, it's what's known as social parking: keeping as many youngsters away from the jobs market as possible for three years because adequate jobs aren't there for them. It's no coincidence that the return of mass unemployment in the 1980s coincided with the expansion of higher education. The corresponding expansion of local government is in part due to the need to soak up an excess of university graduates. Having been told that their part of an educated elite, the McJob and the call centre just won't meet the expectations of many of them.

This is a society in more trouble than it realises.

What you say is true. There are obviously still plenty of clever students and good universities, but the target of 50% is madness. Not only is it a money making racket for a variety of enterprises, as well as academia, it's what's known as social parking: keeping as many youngsters away from the jobs market as possible for three years because adequate jobs aren't there for them. It's no coincidence that the return of mass unemployment in the 1980s coincided with the expansion of higher education. The corresponding expansion of local government is in part due to the need to soak up an excess of university graduates. Having been told that their part of an educated elite, the McJob and the call centre just won't meet the expectations of many of them.

This is a society in more trouble than it realises.

Its shocking really... The number of students racking up massive debits while attending poor courses which will result in them getting jobs paying reality low amounts while they are beheld to the huge debits they have racked up for the rest of their lives is sad..

Another Labour "gift"...