Opinion on current state of this football club!

Not posted before on this particular forum...but here goes. I cannot believe the current running of this football club! I really do believe The Three Amigos seem to be out of their depth running a football club. I think they bought it probably as a hobby/ambition, but it looks like they have found it to be completly different in reality. How can they demolish a stand when they, at the time did'nt seem to have anything concrete as a replacement or alternative venue? To say it cut costs is ridiculous, as it has seriously destroyed any atmosphere that may have been there before. To do this when trying to market(?) the club on Saturday afternoons for £20 is laughable! We also sacked Ronnie Moore because of the standard of football on show, the way we played and dwindling attendances......well, look at that now. Oldham have always historically been attractive as an attacking, trying to play real football side. This has encouraged home and away fans to attend. Now we are quickly ruining that reputation with our current management team, which is simply to prevent the opposition from scoring, by any means. This is dour and will 'never' lead to any success and if left to carry on like this, new stadium or not, the attendances will never return. It takes many years to build a positive reputation, but unfortunatly it's a lot quicker to ruin it!.....I know football is a buisness, but it is a football business and it will probably never be a successful buisness without the support and interest of supporters, which in turn means TRYING to play how it's meant to be played.....To try and keep trying to score as many as you can in there net and let less in your own...It really is as simple as that!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not posted before on this particular forum...but here goes. I cannot believe the current running of this football club! I really do believe The Three Amigos seem to be out of their depth running a football club. I think they bought it probably as a hobby/ambition, but it looks like they have found it to be completly different in reality. How can they demolish a stand when they, at the time did'nt seem to have anything concrete as a replacement or alternative venue? To say it cut costs is ridiculous, as it has seriously destroyed any atmosphere that may have been there before. To do this when trying to market(?) the club on Saturday afternoons for £20 is laughable! We also sacked Ronnie Moore because of the standard of football on show, the way we played and dwindling attendances......well, look at that now. Oldham have always historically been attractive as an attacking, trying to play real football side. This has encouraged home and away fans to attend. Now we are quickly ruining that reputation with our current management team, which is simply to prevent the opposition from scoring, by any means. This is dour and will 'never' lead to any success and if left to carry on like this, new stadium or not, the attendances will never return. It takes many years to build a positive reputation, but unfortunatly it's a lot quicker to ruin it!.....I know football is a buisness, but it is a football business and it will probably never be a successful buisness without the support and interest of supporters, which in turn means TRYING to play how it's meant to be played.....To try and keep trying to score as many as you can in there net and let less in your own...It really is as simple as that!!!

At least uder Sheridan. we played some attacking football. Saying that, without the goals from lee Hughes, the last couple of seasons, the outcome would have been the same as now.

At least uder Sheridan. we played some attacking football. Saying that, without the goals from lee Hughes, the last couple of seasons, the outcome would have been the same as now.

With the manager stating he won't be looking to add any new strikers many fans are disillusioned, they want to see goals and the prospect is even less now Abbott is out for a long spell.

It looks as if TTA have thrown in the towel.

With the manager stating he won't be looking to add any new strikers many fans are disillusioned, they want to see goals and the prospect is even less now Abbott is out for a long spell.

It looks as if TTA have thrown in the towel.

I've got a season ticket but I'm seriously deliberating about Saturday....

I met a fan today who says he won't be going on Saturday, he's had enough.

This looks a serious situation that needs addressing as once these fans settle in front of the TV or go to the pub on a Saturday afternoon they will take some persuading back.

Team - Backwards since Sheridan and probably poorer than we were under Talbot.

Club itself - A laughing Stock IMO

If i didn't have a season ticket, i would have jacked it in long ago!

We've had 5 shots on target in our last 3 games according to the stats. Football is about goals. We don't concede many which is quite good, trouble is we don't score many either. People want to see goals. We aren't doing and it becomes boring pretty quickly.

£20 to see a couple of shots on target :blink:

Team - Backwards since Sheridan and probably poorer than we were under Talbot.

Club itself - A laughing Stock IMO

If i didn't have a season ticket, i would have jacked it in long ago!

Same here. If somebody had told me back in the Ritchie days that under new, allegedly wealthy ownership there would be more despondency around BP than there was then, with the league position about the same (and about the same chance of relegation), I wouldn't have believed them.

And that's five years into said new ownership.

Sorry, I agree with a lot of what you have said in your post but I can't help but smile at the irony of your username :grin:

I would say that without being funny or trying to antagonise things, that just by reading a couple of the headlines on this message board that the feelings are all gloom and doom (save for half a dozen happy clappers who cant see through the :censored: that is Oldham Athletic FC)

Being an optimist doesn't mean wearing a smile and believing all will turn out for the best contrary to all evidence. That's a simpleton, not an optimist.

The pessimist will tell you the glass is half empty,, the optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the engineer will tell you that the glass is not efficient for that amount of liquid.

I would say that without being funny or trying to antagonise things, that just by reading a couple of the headlines on this message board that the feelings are all gloom and doom (save for half a dozen happy clappers who cant see through the :censored: that is Oldham Athletic FC)

I'm not sure which catagory I fall into, somewhere in between I feel.

But I know one thing for sure, painting a picture of doom and gloom and negativity never gets anyone anywhere, in the same way I've never seen a footballer improve after the boo boys get on his back, it's a self fullfilling prophecy situation. Too many on here are quick to point out the failings (of which I agree there are many) but never offer any solutions to the plight of our club.

My standpoint is simple, if we all decide to desert the sinking ship then it will do exactly that..... however if we stick together and somehow get behind the club and players (and I know it's bloody hard at times) then maybe, just maybe it will get better.

Uncle Joe told us to "Keep the Faith," unless of course you fall into the catagory of some on here who can't wait for us to fail so they can say "told you so."

TTA running of the business side has been fine (well mostly). We are down to what would be break even if we could get a half reasonable crowd in (6500 apparently)... I think that is mission succesful there...

Stadium journey has been a joke...

Anything football related has been piss poorly handled. Specially the sacking of shez with 7 games to go... :petesake:

I'm not sure which catagory I fall into, somewhere in between I feel.

But I know one thing for sure, painting a picture of doom and gloom and negativity never gets anyone anywhere, in the same way I've never seen a footballer improve after the boo boys get on his back, it's a self fullfilling prophecy situation. Too many on here are quick to point out the failings (of which I agree there are many) but never offer any solutions to the plight of our club.

My standpoint is simple, if we all decide to desert the sinking ship then it will do exactly that..... however if we stick together and somehow get behind the club and players (and I know it's bloody hard at times) then maybe, just maybe it will get better.

Uncle Joe told us to "Keep the Faith," unless of course you fall into the catagory of some on here who can't wait for us to fail so they can say "told you so."

Go post GOC, agree with most of that particularly the last sentence.

TTA running of the business side has been fine (well mostly). We are down to what would be break even if we could get a half reasonable crowd in (6500 apparently)... I think that is mission succesful there...

Stadium journey has been a joke...

Anything football related has been piss poorly handled. Specially the sacking of shez with 7 games to go... :petesake:

I think the stadium has been a case of circumstance rather than ability.

All the rest is spot on though. Well, except there were nine games left.

Same here Prozac.

I have been season ticket holder for 15 - 20years but definately wont be getting one next season unless things improve.

It aint like me but I'm just getting bored of it :disappointed: !

Weren't you the one having a pop at me last week...

There's a fair difference between not having a season ticket and not going any more.

To be fair, I can't blame you. I haven't enjoyed a game for ages, certainly not this season. The best I've seen was a 0-0 draw at Charlton - although I've missed some games.

It all went out of the club on sacking Sheridan for me, and I suspect i'm not the only one.

We now have a manager we don't know or care for, unlike Sheridan. Completely negative football, unlike Sheridan. Players we don't know very wee bar one or two, state of modern day football.

I'd bring up the 3 sided ground, but I don't particularly agree with that agrument as the atmosphere was :censored: long before they pulled that down.

Same here Prozac.

I have been season ticket holder for 15 - 20years but definately wont be getting one next season unless things improve.

It aint like me but I'm just getting bored of it :disappointed: !

That's the main issue for me at the moment - it's boring, normally you can gee yourself up with a few away games but given the distances involved to grounds i've already been to 3 or 4 times at least just adds to the tedium. I'm genuinely looking forward to Norwich, somewhere I've not been to since 1995, a proper football ground, big crowd, a nice weekend away and the boy is mascot for the day. A proper siege mentality away game, like Charlton where anything is a bonus.

At home I expect to win or at the very least be entertained, that's happened twice this calendar year imho. Stockport on January 24th and MK Dons in September. Oh and I thoroughly enjoyed the Friendly against Middlesbrough. But we've played 21 competitive home games at Boundary Park this year.

Our Record at BP in 2009?

P21 W5 D7 L9 F19 A27 - out of the 21 Games we've failed to score in 9, not hard to see why crowds are dwindling! We last scored 3 goals at home in January v Stockport. Almost a year! FFS!

21 game pattern Goals scored:-

Shez Joe DP

At the moment i'm undecided about Saturday, the club has it's money anyway so they've not lost anything in my eyes. However, the chances are I'll be there just in case we we 'click', I won't hold my breath and I'm convinced it'll be another 1-0 defeat.

I'm not often wrong...

Fookin' boo!

Edited by oafcprozac

We have had the inevitable loss of the glory seeking fans who only turn up when the going is good. Unfortunately we now have serious die hards,long standing season ticket holders and travelling away fans questioning why they should attend. As much as we would like to smile and happy clap we cannot escape the fact that the match experience at BP is dire and has been for the last season. Brighton made more chances in the first half at Southampton yesterday than I have seen latics create at BP in the the last 3 matches at least. The type of football makes each match seem like Groudhog Day, apart from Milton Keynes they all blurr into one big bore.

The ground move to Failsworth is another major irritant to many.

Yes Keep The Faith, but lets hope it doesn't turn into Blind Faith, there are too few willing to Keep that.

We have had the inevitable loss of the glory seeking fans who only turn up when the going is good. Unfortunately we now have serious die hards,long standing season ticket holders and travelling away fans questioning why they should attend. As much as we would like to smile and happy clap we cannot escape the fact that the match experience at BP is dire and has been for the last season. Brighton made more chances in the first half at Southampton yesterday than I have seen latics create at BP in the the last 3 matches at least. The type of football makes each match seem like Groudhog Day, apart from Milton Keynes they all blurr into one big bore.

The ground move to Failsworth is another major irritant to many.

Yes Keep The Faith, but lets hope it doesn't turn into Blind Faith, there are too few willing to Keep that.

:applause1: