Opinion on current state of this football club!

That is probably why I never comment on something I have not seen... Aka the games...

I comment on the performance of the TTA and whats going wrong at the club to make me go... Which I feel I can... I also comment on the future plans...

If you think my opinion is not worth as much, thats fine, your entitled to your opinion, but I do not think you have made a reasonable argument why that is actually true...

Many season ticket holders chose not to pay to see the Leeds cup tie at BP, if this lack of goals continues I fear some of them won't be renewing their season tickets next season, and few who will pay on the day, and that should worry the Latics board.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is getting to the level of pedantic probably, but...

You own a business. Who do you care about? The former users or the current users?

the current users see everything of the club. You see the media's coverage. It's not quite the same.

Obviously your view is worth something as you fit in a certain category (that may give money or at least result in money coming in). But it isn't worth as much as the man that is willing to keep this club afloat no matter what.

This is getting to the level of pedantic probably, but...

You own a business. Who do you care about? The former users or the current users?

the current users see everything of the club. You see the media's coverage. It's not quite the same.

Obviously your view is worth something as you fit in a certain category (that may give money or at least result in money coming in). But it isn't worth as much as the man that is willing to keep this club afloat no matter what.

It is not a either or question... A clever business cares about looking after the current customer base and growing it...

Edited by oafc0000

Does anyone on OWTB pay on the turnstile every game? Step forward! You're the answer to all our prayers!

Live in dorset now but when im back in oldham I do pay the 20 quid. I certainly wouldn't do this week in week out though, unless the product on the pitch improved dramatically!!

Does anyone on OWTB pay on the turnstile every game? Step forward! You're the answer to all our prayers!

I paid on the gate for every First Team Home game From September 1997-May 2002 then I had a season ticket from 2002-2005 then again paid on the gate every game from August 2005-May 2006 (albeit with my specially sanctioned Student membership) My current ST run has been since 2006.

Didn't miss any home game from September 1997-October 2006. Since when I have missed 4 home games.

In total I've missed 16 home games since September 1992. Mainly because of work, but worryingly all the last four have been because I couldn't be arsed.

I went to my 700th First Team Competitive Match earlier in the season, but the flame is dying...

I paid on the gate for every First Team Home game From September 1997-May 2002 then I had a season ticket from 2002-2005 then again paid on the gate every game from August 2005-May 2006 (albeit with my specially sanctioned Student membership) My current ST run has been since 2006.

Didn't miss any home game from September 1997-October 2006. Since when I have missed 4 home games.

In total I've missed 16 home games since September 1992. Mainly because of work, but worryingly all the last four have been because I couldn't be arsed.

I went to my 700th First Team Competitive Match earlier in the season, but the flame is dying...

I loved you until five little words at the end :unsure: .

To be fair, we've all been there - we wouldn't be on here otherwise. I would value your opinion above mine for games/state of the club at the moment though - the way the club is heading. I may express mine, but a man that turns up every week.

Anyway, I'm going to change subject completely. What's the best home game you've seen in your long years?

Mine is the scummers 3-6? And getting beat by Reading 1-3. I seem to pick losing games for some reason.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

I loved you until five little words at the end :unsure: .

To be fair, we've all been there - we wouldn't be on here otherwise. I would value your opinion above mine for games/state of the club at the moment though - the way the club is heading. I may express mine, but a man that turns up every week.

Anyway, I'm going to change subject completely. What's the best home game you've seen in your long years?

Mine is the scummers 3-6? And getting beat by Reading 1-3. I seem to pick losing games for some reason.

Perhaps one from each decade?

Plymouth at Home, September '89, only a handful of us there (4,940?) not won all season, we nick an entertaining game 3-2, the catalyst for a wonderful season...

The first game with Everton in the FA Cup 5th Round in 1990 was a cracking match, battering them yet 2-0 down at half-time, denied a handball on the line and Marshall having one disallowed. Within 15 minutes of the re-start we were level at 2-2. Epitomised everything about the team at the time. Me and my bro were on MOTD too, clinging to the Chaddy fence for dear life in our Parkas!

Noughties?

Celebration Sunday, seeing the old place packed brought a tear to my eye, little did I know that so many regulars missed out. Oldham AThletic was alive and kicking against the odds and walloping a team 6-0. If only we could get some of that early TTA momentum back on and off the field.

The 6-0 St Valentines Day Massacre of West Ham in the League Cup Semi Final is and I suspect always will be my favourite Latics game. No team on the planet could have touched us that night including Liverpool (who were the Man Utd of the time).

Didn't much like the 2nd leg down at Upton Park though, it was a proper cloth toucher.

But I know one thing for sure, painting a picture of doom and gloom and negativity never gets anyone anywhere, in the same way I've never seen a footballer improve after the boo boys get on his back, it's a self fullfilling prophecy situation. Too many on here are quick to point out the failings (of which I agree there are many) but never offer any solutions to the plight of our club.

It is those with the power to affect what goes on at the club who are to blame for the current situation, nobody else.

It isn't up to the fans-who have no power whatsoever over club affairs-but club owners and those they employ to come up with solutions to the club's plight.

The 6-0 St Valentines Day Massacre of West Ham in the League Cup Semi Final is and I suspect always will be my favourite Latics game. No team on the planet could have touched us that night including Liverpool (who were the Man Utd of the time).

Didn't much like the 2nd leg down at Upton Park though, it was a proper cloth toucher.

3-0 down after 55 minutes didn't help did it?! I had to make do with GMR and Andy Buckley. Joe Royle must have been worried, only Latics could be 6-0 up and still be worried enough to name a keeper on the bench!

Instead in the space of 8 months we've gone back 10 years imo, to the situation we were in under Ritchie. Difference is everyone was together, now the club and it's fans have a fractured relationship that may be irreparable...only time will tell. But me personally? I'm not even excited by winning games anymore. It used to mean the world to me. My passion for the club began to die in early 2005, there's been peaks and troughs but each trough gets more difficult to climb out of...

That is exactly how I feel. I can pinpoint when I stopped feeling the same about the club to the last six weeks or so of the 2004-5 season when it became clear that a team that really should have been top eight had managed to pull another relegation battle out of nowhere. The spark was briefly revived between October and February 2006-7, but there was always an air of unreality about it to me.

Now I have to drag myself to BP. I'll drag myself to Failsworth, but for the first time in years I'll be picking and choosing my games.

I'll get to two home games MAXIMUM this season. Am I not entitled to an opinion?

You are a paying customer! You spend time and money watching Latics whether it be home or away. Do you think any business would take an interest in what your thoughts are if you dont ever spend your money with them? Just making the point IMO, thats all.

Do you think any business would take an interest in what your thoughts are if you dont ever spend your money with them?

Any decent business would. They'd take my opinions on board and look to improve their product in order to attract my interest.

oafc0000 hasn't been to a home game this season. I'll assume he went to a decent amount last season. I haven't been this season, and I went to a maximum of three last season. Yet you're saying I'm a paying customer and am entitled to my opinion, whereas oafc0000 isn't. I'd wager he's spent more on Oldham Athletic over the past couple of years than I have, comfortably.

This is all irrelevant anyway; the day someone says they're a fan of Oldham Athletic, they're entitled to an opinion. Simple as that.

Any decent business would. They'd take my opinions on board and look to improve their product in order to attract my interest.

oafc0000 hasn't been to a home game this season. I'll assume he went to a decent amount last season. I haven't been this season, and I went to a maximum of three last season. Yet you're saying I'm a paying customer and am entitled to my opinion, whereas oafc0000 isn't. I'd wager he's spent more on Oldham Athletic over the past couple of years than I have, comfortably.

This is all irrelevant anyway; the day someone says they're a fan of Oldham Athletic, they're entitled to an opinion. Simple as that.

In your opinion! Mine is a supporter pays his money to watch his club! Simple as!

If you miss a game, does your opinion become invalid until the next game you attend?

Now you are being pedantic! OAFC0000 preaches his oppinion on here constantly! He also constantly tells us that he refuses to go (maybe he has his own reasons).

How can you say that someone only needs to say they are a Latics fan and not go be entitled to a VALID oppinion (by that I mean I like watching Arsenal on the box but if I offered my oppinion to their hardcore support nobody would take the slightest bit of notice)? Thats like me telling Barclays how they should run their business even though I'm not a customer with them! If you're not a customer nobody wants you to fill in the survey!

The reason he jumped on me before was because he spent a lot of his time last week telling everyone where TTA are going wrong and I pulled him on the fact that he aint a paying customer!

Simple business ethic!

Now you are being pedantic! OAFC0000 preaches his oppinion on here constantly! He also constantly tells us that he refuses to go (maybe he has his own reasons).

How can you say that someone only needs to say they are a Latics fan and not go be entitled to a VALID oppinion (by that I mean I like watching Arsenal on the box but if I offered my oppinion to their hardcore support nobody would take the slightest bit of notice)? Thats like me telling Barclays how they should run their business even though I'm not a customer with them! If you're not a customer nobody wants you to fill in the survey!

The reason he jumped on me before was because he spent a lot of his time last week telling everyone where TTA are going wrong and I pulled him on the fact that he aint a paying customer!

Simple business ethic!

I'm not being pedantic. I'm trying to understand how you've come to your conclusions.

oafc0000 preaches his opinion constantly on here because it's a messageboard. That's what they're for. You may have noticed he doesn't offer opinions on the games, seeing as he doesn't go. You don't need to go to games to observe what's going on off the pitch, though. As for your Barclays analogy - well, if you were once a customer of theirs and left, I'd hope they'd question you as to why and take steps to try and win you back. I conduct exit interviews for leavers at work; it's an essential practice if you want to increase retention rates. Some of this logic can be applied to lapsed fans...

There are many people like oafc0000 and myself who don't go to games frequently, for a variety of reasons. Do you respect the opinion of leeslover, out of interest? To be honest, I think people just take umbrage with oafc0000 because he's so brazen about it... fair play to him.

I'm not being pedantic. I'm trying to understand how you've come to your conclusions.

oafc0000 preaches his opinion constantly on here because it's a messageboard. That's what they're for. You may have noticed he doesn't offer opinions on the games, seeing as he doesn't go. You don't need to go to games to observe what's going on off the pitch, though. As for your Barclays analogy - well, if you were once a customer of theirs and left, I'd hope they'd question you as to why and take steps to try and win you back. I conduct exit interviews for leavers at work; it's an essential practice if you want to increase retention rates. Some of this logic can be applied to lapsed fans...

There are many people like oafc0000 and myself who don't go to games frequently, for a variety of reasons. Do you respect the opinion of leeslover, out of interest? To be honest, I think people just take umbrage with oafc0000 because he's so brazen about it... fair play to him.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe you and leeslover live in the London area? oafc0000 lives in Oldham or if not thats what it says on his profile. I have got very strong veiws on so called Latics fans who live in the town who choose not to attend! Surely this is the reason why TTA are moving us to Failsworth and downsizing, because people are not paying their good money to support the team!

Basically he is a very big critic on this kind of thing but doesnt give his financial backing to the cause. I have never lived in Oldham but I am there for every home game to support my club! There are many genuine Latics fans who dont go because they cant afford to and thats fine, but people who simply cant be arsed anymore is why we are in trouble!

I think we will just beg to differ on this because football is about opinions and we wont agree!

And have you donated a couple of hundred????..................... :grin:

Over the years I have donated more than the cost of my match tickets... and I donated a very tidy sum during the dark days...

I have done my bit over the years with the exception of this season...

Edited by oafc0000