Joe Colbeck

I am by no means a Colbeck fan but thought he played well today.

Highlights: Stopped a certain goal in the first couple of mins

Hit a great shot from the edge of the area and fizzed in a few superb crosses. One towards the end of the game was as good as anything that will be seen in the premier league, fizzing between the centre half and keeper on the edge of the 6 yard box. The keeper and centre half were blowing with relief after that!

If he continues in that vain then maybe he has a chance, if not then maybe it was a good blip today, either way he was v close to mom from the chronicle suite today!

And hence the "Plenty of work still to do, but a massive improvement." part in the OP.

ye i no wasnt disagreeing withe that part. the main points i was questioning were the parts i highlighted. and not trying to be negative against the lad. not his biggest fan but i admit it was best game ive seen him play. he looked lively and put a few tackles in. but hes not a left winger, hes not a left anything, dont think he used his left foot once yesterday. he often makes the wrong choices with regards to when to shoot or cross, hit it first time or take a touch, run it to the line or drag it back etc. but as i have said in the smalley thread. hes a young winger who hopefully will learn when to do different things. if he keeps improving thn great but dont think he has yet shown enough to change peoples minds yet and definatly hasnt put a man of the match performance in yet

Worked hard and to me looks like a player whom given a bit of confidence will improve - he had a good game yesterday.

I tend to agree, like it or not we are not a big club and we have to make do with players who show endevour with a it of skill.

I like the player

I tend to agree, like it or not we are not a big club and we have to make do with players who show endevour with a it of skill.

I like the player

Posted this in the MoTM pinned thread; but having read this thread - thought i'd stick in what i wrote:

This is a really difficult one; as I thought there were some very strong performances from a number of the players – and no-one had a ‘stinker’; it was a collective team performance the like we haven’t had much of recently.

I could have gone for Deane Smalley who I thought had a fantastic 1st half; I could have gone for either Greegs or Reubes who once again were rock solid at the back (which is weird as we shipped 2; but neither were a fault for either of the goals)….

In the end I’ve gone for Joe Colbeck. By far & way his best effort in a Latics shirt. He was a threat; had lots of space; even before the sending off, and I thought he used it well. He put in a couple a pearling balls into the box; worked his socks for the team (the chase back when we were caught out on the counter after our corner in the 1st half in particular) and his 3 sliding tackles that he got pulled up for were all well timed & he touched the ball on all 3 (2 were right in front of me; the other I had a clear view of).

By no means is he the finished article; far from it – but that was a lot more like it from Joe on sat – keep it up Joe Colbeck & if you carry on like that; then you’ll change a few’s opinions on you. Congrats!!

I think Colbeck has his knockers & detractors - and they are here to stay; as i think it was Latics Pete who said something along the lines; once some fans form an opinion they wont change it. Colbeck is a high L2 / L1 player. He wont go higher than that without a hell of a lot of work; but for us right now; he'll do a more than adequate job & hopefully his performance on sat is a sign of things to come from him.

Some right footed players, such as Taylor, can be effective on the left.

Colbeck is not one of them. He's so one footed it's ridiculous. Yes he put a bloody good shift in today, but for feck sake Penney play him on the right not the left!

Left footed players must be so scarce these days, how long have we been looking for a natural left midfielder/winger? Playing right footed players there is never a suitable solution, the need to cut back inside is so predictable. The team will remain unbalanced until this is remedied.

Posted this in the MoTM pinned thread; but having read this thread - thought i'd stick in what i wrote:

This is a really difficult one; as I thought there were some very strong performances from a number of the players – and no-one had a ‘stinker’; it was a collective team performance the like we haven’t had much of recently.

I could have gone for Deane Smalley who I thought had a fantastic 1st half; I could have gone for either Greegs or Reubes who once again were rock solid at the back (which is weird as we shipped 2; but neither were a fault for either of the goals)….

In the end I’ve gone for Joe Colbeck. By far & way his best effort in a Latics shirt. He was a threat; had lots of space; even before the sending off, and I thought he used it well. He put in a couple a pearling balls into the box; worked his socks for the team (the chase back when we were caught out on the counter after our corner in the 1st half in particular) and his 3 sliding tackles that he got pulled up for were all well timed & he touched the ball on all 3 (2 were right in front of me; the other I had a clear view of).

By no means is he the finished article; far from it – but that was a lot more like it from Joe on sat – keep it up Joe Colbeck & if you carry on like that; then you’ll change a few’s opinions on you. Congrats!!

I think Colbeck has his knockers & detractors - and they are here to stay; as i think it was Latics Pete who said something along the lines; once some fans form an opinion they wont change it. Colbeck is a high L2 / L1 player. He wont go higher than that without a hell of a lot of work; but for us right now; he'll do a more than adequate job & hopefully his performance on sat is a sign of things to come from him.

Dunno what you were watchin. To many defensive errors in that first half for my liking. How many free headers do they need to be given before you question Hazel and Greegs?

True, but I'm feeling quite positive after that today, and it makes a nice change from me being suicidal on a Saturday evening.

So I'm trying to spread my positive vibe..... :wink:

Yep me too....on another thread that is....... lets spread the word guys......positiveness get behind em and see where it gets us...we are not that bad.

I can feel the ripples (yes ripples you mucky lot......) spreading out now

Defo a tuning point of the season me thinks.........

It never ceases to amaze me how so many can watch the same game and come away with so many differing views and opinions! :lol:

For me Deam Smalley is all huff and puff and no end product - I was calling for him to be replaced long before Penney moved into action.

But I agree about Colbeck - his crossing and tackling back meant a much improved performance.

MoM for me was probably Whittaker who I thought looked a dominant figure in the centre of the park. <_<

It never ceases to amaze me how so many can watch the same game and come away with so many differing views and opinions! :lol:

For me Deam Smalley is all huff and puff and no end product - I was calling for him to be replaced long before Penney moved into action.

But I agree about Colbeck - his crossing and tackling back meant a much improved performance.

MoM for me was probably Whittaker who I thought looked a dominant figure in the centre of the park. <_<

Said this on a different thread; football is a game of opinions.....

Personally i thought, yet again, Whittaker was the weak link on sat. When we needed a driving foce from midfield he was 'casper' again. Not until the last 10mins at best did he show for the ball & drive us on. Even Reuben & Holdsworth came for the ball & drive on before Danny Whitts. Plus it pees me off something rotten how he doesn't even jump for headers; let alone actually challenge & win them.

You had him as MoTM, i thought he was poor........all opinions though at the end of the day.