am I totally dillusional as I am feeling quite positive

We have played some of the top teams in our league at BP and on our travels too and is it me but I don't think we have been totally:

Outclassed

Outfought

played off the pitch at all

I can only remember a few moments of class/genius from Southampton and that's it and as we all know the score did not reflect the game.

Our defence is more settled, midfield seems to have a bit of bite, our ability to score seems to be the current issue.

I suppose the real test of our team metal is going to be Leeds and Norwich in a few weeks time.

So I feeling quite positive after yesterdays "my nails are down to the knuckes..." game.

Anyone else feel the same elation? Or shall I throw away my rose tinted glasses, keep my alcholol intake up evey hour and get some prescription medication.

You thoughts ladies and gentleman please

I wouldn't say elated but I came away from Boundary Park yesterday feeling considerably better than I have we didn't have an amazing amount of quality on the pitch yesterday but we did see character and fight even in the first half we were creating chances and having a go at the end of the day all we can really ask of the players is that they go out their and give everything and put their bodies on the line. Most Oldham fans are realistic to not expect every player to be a genius but we do expect every player to give their all we did get that in the last 30 mins certainly. More of that and we will surprise a few people this season including ourselves.

I would say we've only been outclassed by Leeds and Southampton, who will both finish top six.

Saturday's fightback reassured me that we're good enough to stay midtable - had we lost I'd be starting to get concerned about a relegation scrap.

It's also worth remembering that hopefully sometime this season we might see Penney's best eleven. Obviously we don't know yet, but when everyone is fit we might well see what a big loss Purdie has been. I also think we're missing Worthington and a settled left back. It's not so much that Jacobson is better than the loanees we've had (particularly Sheehan), just that when he's back a settled back four tends to be a solid back four.

I would say we've only been outclassed by Leeds and Southampton, who will both finish top six.

Saturday's fightback reassured me that we're good enough to stay midtable - had we lost I'd be starting to get concerned about a relegation scrap.

It's also worth remembering that hopefully sometime this season we might see Penney's best eleven. Obviously we don't know yet, but when everyone is fit we might well see what a big loss Purdie has been. I also think we're missing Worthington and a settled left back. It's not so much that Jacobson is better than the loanees we've had (particularly Sheehan), just that when he's back a settled back four tends to be a solid back four.

I don't think we were outclassed by them, Southampton in particular were fortunate with two of their goals - ok they missed a couple but we dominated the second-half before the mistake that led to Connolly's decider. As for the leeds game KK played well for 25 minutes, we changed tactics and were in the game right until the end. The only team that have really taken us to the cleaners and it was more a case how poorly we played that night was Hartlepool. Unfortunately goals win games and moments of quality from the oppo have decided games we have been in - but due to our failings in front of goal it's meant we have come away empty hended.

Absolutely spot on Underdog.

A lot of people on here are not happy unless they have got something to moan about but we mustn't let this get in the way of the truth.

I think I must be the dillusioned one because I still think we've got a chance of making the play-offs. I always expected the first half of the season to be a bit hit and miss (and I'd still say there has been more 'hit' than 'miss') but with a couple of sensible signings in January, we can definitely fight our way into the top six.

Why is it that every thread has to have an attack on people who feel differently? "Some people aren't happy until..." should be officially moderated out until further notice.

To answer though, I'd disagree that I'm cautiously optimistic, but neither am I suicidal. The team works hard and I cannot fault them for effort to be fair. What is slightly worrying though is that we have only two players capable of summoning the quality to break people down - Taylor and Abbott. When both have played we can score, without either or we look toothless.

Defence have come through okay, but I'm still mystified as to why Fleming is not here and we play someone else's reserves. Get Fleming back in January, and add a centre-half of note and we'll have a squad that I can see taking shape for the future - at the moment I struggle to see the long-term plan for the club.

A club that achieves precisely nothing is fairly pointless. As is a club that plans for the future on that basis.

Perhaps it is this realisation that lies behind the disastrously falling attendances.

I would rather carry on like this for the next 10 years than not have Latics,

I would either spend every Saturday in the pub or go stir crazy :lol:

I know. But the fact that only 3000 or so seem to think that way suggests that there might not be ten more years after that.

Take a look at all the attendences in league two yesterday bar Bradford and Shrewsbury. They have all managed to survive for the past x years on crowds of 1500-3000. I think we will still be around in 10 years time regardless of our crowds.....

Oh and before you say it i am not saying that I would be happy with league 2 football I am just pointing out thats its not as grim as you make out

Take a look at all the attendences in league two yesterday bar Bradford and Shrewsbury. They have all managed to survive for the past x years on crowds of 1500-3000. I think we will still be around in 10 years time regardless of our crowds.....

Oh and before you say it i am not saying that I would be happy with league 2 football I am just pointing out thats its not as grim as you make out

It is as grim, I'm afraid. The next twenty or thirty years, for a whole variety of economic reasons, seem highly unlikely to be like the last few decades. Some would say that the long post-WW2 period of continuously rising living standards is grinding to a halt. This will clearly have an effect on football. Almost certainly it will bring into question the possibility of those clubs that survive on a shoestring, constantly debt-ridden, surviving as professional clubs.

Even if I'm wrong, I find it hard to get excited about the prospect of permanently watching Latics in front of 1500-3000, even if others don't.

It is as grim, I'm afraid. The next twenty or thirty years, for a whole variety of economic reasons, seem highly unlikely to be like the last few decades. Some would say that the long post-WW2 period of continuously rising living standards is grinding to a halt. This will clearly have an effect on football. Almost certainly it will bring into question the possibility of those clubs that survive on a shoestring, constantly debt-ridden, surviving as professional clubs.

Even if I'm wrong, I find it hard to get excited about the prospect of permanently watching Latics in front of 1500-3000, even if others don't.

Can just imagine the last post playing behind whilst you say that speech :lol:

No neither can I Corp but as long as they weren't the boo boys/girls and got up and sang and cheered their team on, I'd rather stand side by side singing my little heart out with those few than oodles of those that shout "bag of :censored:e". Yet still, we are still having heated words on the terraces too amongst ourselves. Saw it again on Sat in RRE.

Interesting too that Chris Taylor also mentioned the effect of a positive/negative crowd in tonights chron. Ever wonder that's why we can't peform as well at home??? too much pressure from us fans maybe, me included as I groan and moan as well however, the only things I can do is cough up my dosh and.....CHUFFING SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon Oldham I am feeling very positive about us....I'll be happy with a top ten place but "Dear Santa...." Top 5 would be great too......