if penney was sacked

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it just happened......Would you care to reassess!!!!!!

Clearly there is a vague hint that I was wrong. :wink:

At this stage, I'll play the Duckworth-Lewis "average points per game" method to my assessment to claim that I was right, but it is stretching it a little.

I am genuinely concerned, and I do think the negative displays are down to the manager.

On Wednesday night, when we played a passing game, we looked a decent side. When we hoofed it, we were :censored:e. At Hartlepool, when we went for the jugular, we were an excellent and exciting side to watch. It all needs to happen for much longer during a game though. 10 minutes bursts are not enough.

Those players have more than enough in them, if channelled correctly, to ensure that Latics end the season mid-table. Not the loftiest of ambitions, but I think it's where most thought we would end up when the season started.

Gannon.

WE were never within a million miles of a chance of getting him.

He knew what calibre of clubs were after him.

One, in the top league, in Europe and challenging again.

Or a team with 3 sides to the ground and in the old 4rsd Division.

Or host of othere at a higher level.

Not that difficult.

Yeah, the Premiership/Championship clubs must have been queueing round the block for him to have ended up at the mighty cash rich Motherwell. <_<

I will reword that, given the budget we have available, if he went (which he won't) who would you bring in who

1) would want the job and

2) who would do a better job

Narrows down the list considerably

My nan!

i think penney needs more time. i am confident when people get back we will have enough to stay in the league.

as for who wecould have had. whats the point? it will only make the place even more depressed. hill is at dale and gannon is at motherwell. both are doing well. penney is at oldham. live with it.

think you find gannan jobless. so get him in while we can !

but yet look where stockport was when he fist took over ? they was on the brink of getting relegated to the conference. he got them sorted and took them up, whats saying he couldnt do that with latics ?

He did, and there's no saying he couldn't with us, but there's no saying he definitely would either. There doesn't often seem to be much logic to it, but football is littered with examples of managers who worked wonders at one club and couldn't replicate that anywhere else.

He did, and there's no saying he couldn't with us, but there's no saying he definitely would either. There doesn't often seem to be much logic to it, but football is littered with examples of managers who worked wonders at one club and couldn't replicate that anywhere else.

very good point. look at penny and what he done with other clubs compared to what he is doing here !

If Penney was sacked soon and TTA were looking for a 'proper' appointment straight away, then I'm sure Gannon would have to be on the list.

What would concern me is that should he be appointed the minimum expectation of our fans would be to match his feats at Stockport, producing a miraculous and immediate resurgence and a late bid for the play-offs.

If Gannon was appointed in February, I guarantee someone on here would call for his head before the end of April. :blink:

they will. to be honest latics fans to much of an expectation from new managers. i will be very happy if gannon did get the manager job here. to be honest if we lose against stockport penny will be out.

Absolutely feckin brilliant.

Latics fans have too much expectation from new managers.......if we lose v Stockport DP will be out.........and you'll be very happy if Gannon got the job here..........Contradiction of a "fickle football fans terms" Quality!

So, after 5 months you want the manager sacked to be replaced by someone who wasn't in his previous job longer than 2 minutes, yet you think latics fans have too much expectation from a new manager :lol:

Edited by futchers briefs

very good point. look at penny and what he done with other clubs compared to what he is doing here !

Yet compare the budgets they both had.

Gannon had an eye ( or a few good scouts ) for young gems and got them cheap ( unlike posh who fork out six figure sums for them )

DP had a bigger budget at both donny and darlo than he has here probably,

Also if you look at that season, stockport only finished lower down than top half due to them going into administration so that shows how much money gannon had to work with.

Be a good appointment if DP does go.

If Gannon had won this league with rampaging attacking football I could understand the clamour for him to be installed as manager. But he hasnt and probably never will,as it stands I dont think he is any better or any worse for that matter,than what we already have.

The problem is DP is stuck in a rut that needs a few wins and quick or he could be gone, the last time Corney made a statement like he did this week Shez was gone not long after. I think DP will get a bit more time,but I wouldnt be at all suprised to see him gone just because of the gates we are getting,let alone if we lose the next three games.

Personally I would like to see him survive as I believe he can do a good job for us eventually,but some of his tactics and substitutions appear to follow along the lines of the previous manager who was also under pressure.

We need a striker and a creative midfield spark badly if we get them we should be ok, if we dont I think we will go down whoever is in charge,unless someone comes in and makes a huge transformation.

If Gannon had won this league with rampaging attacking football I could understand the clamour for him to be installed as manager. But he hasnt and probably never will,as it stands I dont think he is any better or any worse for that matter,than what we already have.

I saw quite a few County games under Gannon (and a Motherwell fan says he delivered much the same up there):

1) Passing football. It was pleasing on the eye, backed up by a solid defence, and they took their chances.

2) A reliace on youth - installing a belief system in younger players that encourages them and improves them (excellent idea for owners looking to reduce cost)

3) Takes no :censored: - cross him and you're gone. Anthony Elding, Gareth Owen, Adam Proudlock and more are examples. Not afraid to offload leading scorers or captains.

4) 4-2-3-1 formation where the 3 moves swiftly from holding play to attacking play.

5) Improvement season on season, with strange team selections and tactics within that improvement that baffle everybody.

6) Extraordinary attacks on referees and authority within the club - says what he thinks, even when he shouldn't, which is both entertaining and embarrassing for fans.

7) An eye for a bargain discarded from above or available in non-league. Liam Dickinson, Carl Baker, Anthony Pilkington, Tommy Rowe, Oli Johnson.

8) Ongoing transfer fee surplus from the production line of talent.

He also got Craig Davies scoring again, tended to win the big matches that really mattered and made County genuine play-off prospects last season until the finances at Edgeley Park went in to meltdown. And that was nothing to do with his spending on the pitch.

The problem is DP is stuck in a rut that needs a few wins and quick or he could be gone, the last time Corney made a statement like he did this week Shez was gone not long after. I think DP will get a bit more time,but I wouldnt be at all suprised to see him gone just because of the gates we are getting,let alone if we lose the next three games.

Personally I would like to see him survive as I believe he can do a good job for us eventually,but some of his tactics and substitutions appear to follow along the lines of the previous manager who was also under pressure.

I think it's way too early to remove Penney. But he has been tactically dull and needs to address that. If he was fired off, Jim Gannon would be a fine replacement.

We need a striker and a creative midfield spark badly if we get them we should be ok, if we dont I think we will go down whoever is in charge,unless someone comes in and makes a huge transformation.

I am a little frustrated to see the attacking strengths of this current side in such short bursts. The manager should be able to get a lot more going forwards out of a midfield that includes the likes of :censored:, Taylor, Stephens, Furman, Whitaker etc.

A very good point that is relevant to any appointment.

Edited by opinions4u

When you think of all the money DP has wasted this season, i just wonder what someone like Gannon could have done with all that money. Some may say he failed at Motherwell but he actually got them playing, and brought in some quality signings. I just hope he could show some loyalty if given the chance to manage at BP, as that was clearly the reason Motherwell got rid.

I'd take gannon anyday over penney (and any other candidate i can think of). He plays good attacking football, and always manages to find some gems with virtually no finance. Yeah he comes across as abit cocky but may be because he is confident of his ability and it seems that he instills that confidence in to his players. Hopefully he would be interested in the job as it is fairly local.