Marketing phone calls

Sorry if someone else has mentioned this, but I just got a call from someone at the club (actually, must be a marketing/PR agency as she had a scouse accent) contacting me because I was a lapsed ST holder and just asking me a few Q's on why. She took my email address down in the process so probably compiling a bigger email database or something.

In the past plenty of crap has been thrown at the club (myself included) on lack of marketing etc., and I know it's 5 years too late or whatever but IMO it's good the club are starting to appear more proactive about it. New marking guru is probably making his marks as we speak!

Anyone else had these calls today?

Sorry if someone else has mentioned this, but I just got a call from someone at the club (actually, must be a marketing/PR agency as she had a scouse accent) contacting me because I was a lapsed ST holder and just asking me a few Q's on why. She took my email address down in the process so probably compiling a bigger email database or something.

In the past plenty of crap has been thrown at the club (myself included) on lack of marketing etc., and I know it's 5 years too late or whatever but IMO it's good the club are starting to appear more proactive about it. New marking guru is probably making his marks as we speak!

Mobile's bollocksed but I'm a ST holder anyway but ABOUT BLOODY TIME! And a minimum of 6 months too late, BUT good to see we are being listened to at last. The frightening thing is that it may be all too little late...

I mentioned once about the lack of marketing outside Oldham, but I got back to Glossop on Friday opened the local paper at the back pages to see a big Latics advertisment, I'm guessing it's in the Tameside Advertiser aswell as they are practically the same paper

I've just had one. The guy said he looking over my history as loyal supporter and wondered why I didn't renew my season ticket this year. At this point I had to correct as i had renewed it!

Edited by LT_SMASH

Haha yeah, it was bizarre the area code is the same as where I grew up so thought it must have been a family member or mate ringing me from a house phone and it was Oldham Athletic with a scouse accent :)

Just got the call now! The reason I didn't renew the last few years is that midweek games can be a problem with work comittments, I actually think the club do better out of me like this though, as I have through lack of personal organisation paid the full £20 the last few games.

Well done the club though for finally listening to the opinions stated on here though about lack of marketing initiatives!

We just need to get the product on the pitch sorted out now :wacko:

Just got the call now! The reason I didn't renew the last few years is that midweek games can be a problem with work comittments, I actually think the club do better out of me like this though, as I have through lack of personal organisation paid the full £20 the last few games.

Well done the club though for finally listening to the opinions stated on here though about lack of marketing initiatives!

We just need to get the product on the pitch sorted out now :wacko:

Did they ask anything about now, or the future?

For me, the question as to why someone didnt renew their season ticket is pretty pointless, although we are all pretty downhearted in the close season it is nothing compared to now - ask how many current season ticket holders will renew next season if it carries on like this! That will be an interesting percentage.

I'd put the phone down on them. I hate sales phone calls.

Ringing people up begging them to renew might class as marketing to some, for me it sounds like a charity appeal.

I sort of agree with you. Given the ease of using personal details for fraud, if somebody phones me and expects me to answer personal questions they might as well piss up a rope. Mailshot stands a better chance.

I'd put the phone down on them. I hate sales phone calls.

Ringing people up begging them to renew might class as marketing to some, for me it sounds like a charity appeal.

While yes it is sales and cold calling, it is not as if the club is ringing up people trying to flog them products they are not interested in like a double glazing firm.

They are ringing people who have had season tickets at Oldham (so obviously have at somepoint been very loyal and interested in Latics) and are finding out why they have not renewed and if they would be interested in a half season ticket offer.

I hadnt heard of the half season ticket off before and I think my dad and bro may take it up so thumbs up to the club from me.

They rang me too, I'm on the list with an old email address that isn't cross referenced with my current season ticket. Took a few seconds to sort out.

yeah, I think it's both a sales call and an opportunity to update their database as well as collating some pretty vital data. Good on them.

While yes it is sales and cold calling, it is not as if the club is ringing up people trying to flog them products they are not interested in like a double glazing firm.

They are ringing people who have had season tickets at Oldham (so obviously have at somepoint been very loyal and interested in Latics) and are finding out why they have not renewed and if they would be interested in a half season ticket offer.

I hadnt heard of the half season ticket off before and I think my dad and bro may take it up so thumbs up to the club from me.

Spot on :chubb:

Just got the call now ! Tried to sell me a half-season ticket for 168 quid I think it was - my problem this season though has been childcare and work commitments on a saturday and evenings so even though I wanted to I couldn't commit to a full or half-season ticket.

He also spoke about hospitality - which I thought was good. A lot of Guy's work and its perceived success will be based on attendances, and rightly so, but I think he can earn his wage by getting the corporate stuff right. The selling of hospitality and advertising that might be easier than flogging tickets at the moment.

I wished the chirpy scouser good luck with selling the tickets.

Edited by Yard Dog

UTTERLY USELESS!

we are registered with them and we still get em !

complained it was still happening and they say they can't help...

Been with them and TPS for several years, never had a problem, get the odd bit of junk mail/call but this has only been when I have forgotten to tick the box to say no to such stuff.

and thats where lots of em are based.

I quite enjoy Indian chaps ringing me up to tell me about "little known government legislation" that will allow me to get a IVA.

I put the handset down at the side of the phone, brew up and then, a couple of minutes later, tell the nice man that I have no debts other than a mortgage and that an IVA would be of no use to me, but thank you for taking the time to ring me.

2 days later the feckers ring again and I do the same, maximising their phone costs.

Was it 01928 dialling code? I got one from there this afternoon but I tend not to answer random numbers as I have a set of Welsh bailiffs after me for the student loan I paid off about a decade ago.

Yes...definitely 01928...

As well talking about season ticket and hospitality, they asked for my email address which is exactly the sort of thing Latics should have been asking for for years....

I quite enjoy Indian chaps ringing me up to tell me about "little known government legislation" that will allow me to get a IVA.

I put the handset down at the side of the phone, brew up and then, a couple of minutes later, tell the nice man that I have no debts other than a mortgage and that an IVA would be of no use to me, but thank you for taking the time to ring me.

2 days later the feckers ring again and I do the same, maximising their phone costs.

Oh, many a time I've received a cold call, and simply said "Just hang on there one sec" before putting the handset to one side for 10 minutes, before returning and asking "Still there?". Just to see how long they'd put up with it.

Suprisingly long is the answer.

Received the same call on my mobile earlier (but asking for my son who is now at UNI). This implies that the records at BP are years out of date

As others have said credit and good luck to the new market ing initiative.

Really hope that it is not too little too late