season of the decade

season of the decade  

61 members have voted

1. 1. which was the better season?

• 2002/2003
    • 2006/2007

What was the season of the past decade, i think theres only two choices ..

2002/2003

2006/2007

06/07 no brainer for me. We were workmanlike under Dowie and had some cracking results but the football we played from September '06 - February '07 was some of the best I've seen since the Pinch me season...

06/07 no brainer for me. We were workmanlike under Dowie and had some cracking results but the football we played from September '06 - February '07 was some of the best I've seen since the Pinch me season...

Under a manager who only succeeded thanks to the previous manager, who was himself sacked for boring football and consequent poor ticket sales? :unsure:

Under a manager who only succeeded thanks to the previous manager, who was himself sacked for boring football and consequent poor ticket sales? :unsure:

I think you'll remember though, that as Prozac said, some of the football we played between that period, was a 'tad' different than what the previous manager served up and nearly succeeded because he played that way - when we lost our centre forward, we changed the way we played - almost similar to the previous gaffers short era and that's when it started to go threpenney bits up!

To be fair to Dowie, he was unlucky that he was in probably the most quality League that this Division has ever seen, Cardiff, Bristol, Crewe, Wigan, QPR all fantastic sides at the time.

There is only 1 season that matters, because during the period we have not been promoted.

The season is 2003-04. We were not challenging for promotion, but we had a club. To be able to go to BP and various away grounds and see Oldham Athletic continuing to "compete" after the summer of hell was all that mattered. Most supporters would have "accepted" relegation that season as the price for the clubs survival. The fact that we survived was remarkable given the obstacles in our way.

Remember we went into adminsitration after the 1st game of the season (we couldn't do beforehand as we wouldn't have been allowed to satrt the season) We had a manger who was openly, in some quarters at least, touting himself to other clubs and acting only with self interest and who fortuneately left for pastures new in the November. We had a rookie caretaker who steered us through the tough interim and a new manager who never really settled at BP despite that never to be forgotten FA cup triumph over City in Jan 05.

Despite the fire sale of players like Fitz Hall, Clint Hill, Josh Low etc, we had no money. M**re had used the season ticket money to pay wages in May and June and we were left with a manager and several players on salaries that we wouldn't have been able to afford in the Championship.

We survived that season against the odds. We played Brighton at home on the opening day and despite atypically battling display got away with a 1-3 defeat. The situation was grave, we needed open heart surgery and it was going to be painful. We got through it, we had celebration Sunday and a 6-0 walloping of Grimsby, but most of all we still had a club and the bonus that the expected relegation didn't materialise

So 2003-04 it is for me.

To be fair to Dowie, he was unlucky that he was in probably the most quality League that this Division has ever seen, Cardiff, Bristol, Crewe, Wigan, QPR all fantastic sides at the time.

Yes but Dowies "budget" was bigger than Bristol City, Crewe, QPR and Cardiff. Wigan were a class apart due to Whelans real fortune, but we lacked when it mattered most.

When I say budget, I don't believe that there was actually such a thing in place. Wadsworth and Dowie basically told M**re what they wanted and got it they did. The money "put in" was the equivalent of another 12,000 people a game coming through the turnstiles. M**re didn't have it to continually put in so it wasn't a sustainable situation.

As for Dowie, I will never forgive him for "resting" players at Huddersfield on the last day of the season and costing us home advantage in the second leg of the playoffs. What was his saying? Go hard or go home. For me that was the day he went home

Edited by Harry Dowds Green Shirt

Had to be 2002/03 was the best season in ages apart from the Prem years. I agree with the comment about quality in the league at the time and still think if the TTA had bought the club while Dowie was in charge and had kept most of that squad we proberly would of gone up.

Shez team was good also

Thought a decade was made up of ten seasons ???? Did you get bored after writing two options in the poll <_<

2003-04 for me if I was actually given the option.

You know what I agree, 06/07 was great as I've already said but I've said it before and I'll say it again, the unbridled combined joy and relief I felt at Swindon when JJ put us 2-0 up will live with me forever - the culmination of 11 months of hell and it all turning out right in the end. Going back to the opening day - I've never celebrated a consolation so hard!!!!!!

06/07 just ended so miserably, I couldn't help but feel we could of done so much more especially after the Swansea game, the one for me was 02/03, we finished the season on 82 points I'm sure that pretty much every other season 82 points would of got automatic promotion, we had a team of winners under Dowie a team that would never burn out, how many of those 82 points did we manage to scrape late on in games? That was the best side I've seen IMO (I was too young to remember the pinch-me years), it's just a shame we were up against 5 other great sides otherwise that side would of walked it that season

Edited by Tommy_Fent

You know what I agree, 06/07 was great as I've already said but I've said it before and I'll say it again, the unbridled combined joy and relief I felt at Swindon when JJ put us 2-0 up will live with me forever - the culmination of 11 months of hell and it all turning out right in the end. Going back to the opening day - I've never celebrated a consolation so hard!!!!!!

Yes, I think I agree (although I opted for 2002-03 in the poll).

The fact that we started without a hope, with defeats against Brighton and Blackpool which were pretty effortless, and then onto mighty Wednesday, and having to wheel Shez out, virtually crippled. Real comic strip stuff, that were. We started to find our feet culminating in a thumping away win at Wycombe 5-2.

It went a bit bad after that too - more home defeats (although the 3-2 win against Rushton was superb with the roof lifting off the Chaddy when O'Hallaran bagged the winner!), out of both cups at an early stage including an absolute tatering at home to Blackpool. Then we welcome table topping Champions elect QPR in the hours after Dowie went hard and went home. Cue Ernie, a second-half fightback and a magical winner by Eyre in typically Oldham-esque stair rod rain.

Then a great run as unlikely managers, yet Latics heroes Shez and Eyresy mastermind a decent run which pushed us away from danger area a little bit, the high points undoubtedly being the magnificent 6-0 drubbing of Grimsby and 1-0 win against struggling but vocal Sheffield Wednesday. When Talbot came in, we still needed some vital points on the board, but secured safety with a few weeks to spare mainly due to a couple of great wins away at Bristol City and Swindon Town. After all that happened, it really was just about the main success story of the last ten years.

The seasons in the poll both ended in failures. Life's not all about winning, sometimes it is surviving.

October 2006 to February 2007 saw the best football we've enjoyed at BP since relegation from the PL, but the Dowie side had more individual talent and was far more solid.

Unfortunately, 2006-7 was the season that sealed our fate. The surrender after Februrary, when promotion was there for the taking, represents the surrender to permanent lower division football which the projected new stadium sets in stone.

October 2006 to February 2007 saw the best football we've enjoyed at BP since relegation from the PL, but the Dowie side had more individual talent and was far more solid.

Unfortunately, 2006-7 was the season that sealed our fate. The surrender after Februrary, when promotion was there for the taking, represents the surrender to permanent lower division football which the projected new stadium sets in stone.

boring :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

02/03 for me, in 06/07 we limped into the play offs and I fully expected to get a thrashing from Blackpool. In 02/03 I felt we had a real shout and was gutted when we lost to QPR. Plus for me that season was the best I can remember in terms of the quality of the other teams, some great players in the third tier that year. I think this season is strong too for other teams, its a shame we are not part of it.

AND 7th and 8th were .... Tranny only edged out by cardiff 1point AND Plymouth (won in 03/04)

A different one but I'd have voted for the 07-08 season. After an awful start, numerous injuries throughout forced us to lower our expectations and let the kids show us what they can do. We recovered to finish a respectable 8th and had a number of enjoyable (some more so than others) victories along the way.

Away days at Everton and Leeds will live in the memories of many for years to come, as will the way we all got together to march in support of the stadium redevelopment. Add in Hughes's hat-trick at Millwall, Davies's late winner at Tranmere, a seldom-seen away win at Port Vale, Eardley's masterclass at Crewe in the sunshine on the last day, the emergence of Neal Trotman, plus the way our home form picked up dramatically in the 2nd half of the season, I often look back on that season in a positive light. Plus I won a competition to go to the end of season awards do and got to sit next to Chris Taylor :grin:

As someone else said, 06-07 was spoilt by the fact we fell away so badly from February onwards, having looked god-like until then. The way our faultless performances, blitzing almost everyone in our path, heightened our expectations meant that the sudden transition to abject toothlessness was a much bitterer pill to swallow. As for 02-03, I didn't get to too many games that season due to being at uni, but we seemed a much more gutsy, resilient team built around fitness and effort, so I've picked that one.

Now, would anyone like to put forward a case for 05-06? :lol: