Eye laser surgery

leeslover

Strange what Big Thread conversations put into your mind.

So, anyone had it? The surgery that is. I was pub-talking last night and was thinking of what best to do with a few modest windfalls (tax rebate, some money reclaimed from evil bank charges). I could pay some capital off a loan I have, but then again, it occurred to me that if I had me eyes done, I would save on glasses and contacts for the next 3 decades or so, on top of the obvious benefits, like not reaching for glasses every time you wake up, having to wear contacts to wear sunglasses, not having to poke your eyes if you want to go out without glasses on and so on. Anyone?

I don't know if it's reliable enough. I'd love to have it, and not wake up with everything a blur! But if it goes wrong, I don't think I'd like double vision for ever. I believe it's also a pretty unpleasant procedure, but I suppose the long-term gain is worth it if it's successful.

Nick tells me that Sue (remember her from Saturday? :wink: ) had it done about four years ago, and says it's the best thing she ever did. So go for it if you're not a chicken like me.

I don't know if it's reliable enough. I'd love to have it, and not wake up with everything a blur! But if it goes wrong, I don't think I'd like double vision for ever. I believe it's also a pretty unpleasant procedure, but I suppose the long-term gain is worth it if it's successful.

Nick tells me that Sue (remember her from Saturday? :wink: ) had it done about four years ago, and says it's the best thing she ever did. So go for it if you're not a chicken like me.

Last thing I remember from Saturday is a pair of massive tits and then an overwhelming feeling of nauseous. Forgot I had carried the night on after saying goodbye to Rummy and Exile :unsure::disguise::curtains:

I thought about it over 10 years ago but reckoned I would give it a few years to see if people's eyes started randomly falling out. Reckon I might take the plunge now and get them done. Gulp.

That's if Exile doesn't pull them out and make a loving use of the holes, a la Full Metal Jacket.

Guest gillianfn
Last thing I remember from Saturday is a pair of massive tits and then an overwhelming feeling of nauseous. Forgot I had carried the night on after saying goodbye to Rummy and Exile :unsure::disguise::curtains:

I thought about it over 10 years ago but reckoned I would give it a few years to see if people's eyes started randomly falling out. Reckon I might take the plunge now and get them done. Gulp.

That's if Exile doesn't pull them out and make a loving use of the holes, a la Full Metal Jacket.

If it helps, I know of 4 people who have had it done - out of the 4, 3 of them now wear glasses again.

A mate of mine had it done and was fine afterwards, but his missus did at the same time and still wears glasses even now. Not sure of the % success rate overall though. From what I understand, it isn't a perfect science and the level of the results varies from patient to patient. Some end up with perfect 20-20 vision but some definitely don't.

I'll stick to contacts........I can't imagine what it's like having a scalpel shoved in yer eyeball.

A mate of mine had it done and was fine afterwards, but his missus did at the same time and still wears glasses even now. Not sure of the % success rate overall though. From what I understand, it isn't a perfect science and the level of the results varies from patient to patient. Some end up with perfect 20-20 vision but some definitely don't.

I'll stick to contacts........I can't imagine what it's like having a scalpel shoved in yer eyeball.

Isn't the point of the laser that you don't need a scalpel? :blink:

Isn't the point of the laser that you don't need a scalpel? :blink:

The procedure mi mate had done involved a scalpel being used to cut a "flap" in yer eye-ball which is "folded" back so that the laser can be used on the retina, before putting the flap back in place. :shock:

Not for me that one!

The procedure mi mate had done involved a scalpel being used to cut a "flap" in yer eye-ball which is "folded" back so that the laser can be used on the retina, before putting the flap back in place. :shock:

Not for me that one!

Flaps, eh?

:wink:

Not for me that one!

what if its a windy day, does your eye ball flap about like a golden retrievers ears in a car doing 70 down the motorway??

Had it done january 2006 best thin eva mate, there are two types of treatment dependent on your eyes.

if your are the normal round shape you will probably have what is called epi-lasek surgery and will have both eyes done at the same time this is like being sat in a dentist chair and you cant feel it you will be out of sink for about 3-4 days top this is what i had and well recommended.

the other one is still well worth it and this is if your eyeballs are rugby shaped or you have a stigmatism this when the cut your eyes and with this you will be out of sink for 2-3 days.

in th e early days when you used to have one eye at a time alangroves perm had it done so ihis has been over a longer period and is till ok.

you eyes are more sensative to the light but nothing to worry about

if you need any more advice i will only be pleased to talk to you about it.

Hi leeslover,

Yeah ditto to my good buddy neiladamsheadband, had mine done 6 or 7 years ago in Albert Square, Manchester, company called Optimax who have been going around 30 years. My best man at my wedding had his done 3 or 4 years before me and we are both still 100% ok. As Mr Adams said, technology and eye procedures have changed but it is the best thing i have ever done with my glasses, subscription sun-glasses contact lenses and cleaners.

Bit of advice pal, GET EM DONE

Hi leeslover,

Yeah ditto to my good buddy neiladamsheadband, had mine done 6 or 7 years ago in Albert Square, Manchester, company called Optimax who have been going around 30 years. My best man at my wedding had his done 3 or 4 years before me and we are both still 100% ok. As Mr Adams said, technology and eye procedures have changed but it is the best thing i have ever done with my glasses, subscription sun-glasses contact lenses and cleaners.

Bit of advice pal, GET EM DONE

Had mine done 8 weeks ago and I've never looked back.

Seriously - like has been said it's moved on lots since the early days - they don't use a knife (microkeratome) any more - it's all done by laser. It doesn't hurt, it's very quick and I've now got 20/15 vision. I wore glasses and lenses for 28 bludy years and I wish I'd done it sooner. Walking in the rain is great, this morning I mowed the lawn and didn't have sweat running down the inside of my glasses.

One tip they don't tell you is about drinking. After it was done at 1pm I was told to go home and rest for the afternoon and take paracetamol. I went to bed with a Bud, and had the kids bring me another can every two hours to drink whilst I put eyedrops in. Worked like a charm and I was watching telly fine by 8pm.

Go for it!

Had mine done 8 weeks ago and I've never looked back.

Seriously - like has been said it's moved on lots since the early days - they don't use a knife (microkeratome) any more - it's all done by laser. It doesn't hurt, it's very quick and I've now got 20/15 vision. I wore glasses and lenses for 28 bludy years and I wish I'd done it sooner. Walking in the rain is great, this morning I mowed the lawn and didn't have sweat running down the inside of my glasses.

One tip they don't tell you is about drinking. After it was done at 1pm I was told to go home and rest for the afternoon and take paracetamol. I went to bed with a Bud, and had the kids bring me another can every two hours to drink whilst I put eyedrops in. Worked like a charm and I was watching telly fine by 8pm.

Go for it!

Can I borrow one of your kids for the day?

Think I'm going to go for it, just looking around for a good deal. Although, Luke Beckett's Anchor please note, I think I might not let my parents know about it until after. My dad lost an eye when he was younger and he'd be having full grown cats at the thought.

Can I borrow one of your kids for the day?

Think I'm going to go for it, just looking around for a good deal. Although, Luke Beckett's Anchor please note, I think I might not let my parents know about it until after. My dad lost an eye when he was younger and he'd be having full grown cats at the thought.

As far as I know Ultralase is the only one with a forum - it's here - it was good to see such transparency.

I didn't really think about a good deal - I know I could have got it cheaper but I wasn't that impressed by some of the others. I reckoned that I would only do it once, my eyes are quite important for watching the Blues, and I wanted the best I could afford.

Some of them do it on interest free credit.

You'll get sense out of me for the first 10 minutes on the bus on Saturday if you want to talk about it. After that it's all mindless rambling......

As far as I know Ultralase is the only one with a forum - it's here - it was good to see such transparency.

I didn't really think about a good deal - I know I could have got it cheaper but I wasn't that impressed by some of the others. I reckoned that I would only do it once, my eyes are quite important for watching the Blues, and I wanted the best I could afford.

You'll get sense out of me for the first 10 minutes on the bus on Saturday if you want to talk about it. After that it's all mindless rambling......

Nice one, bet you didn't even realise you'd done it.

Yeah, it looks like £300 quid extra for that waveywhatsit that gives you better sharpness and night sight. I might go for that, like you say it's a one off. £30 a month for 10 months extra is cack all if it gets you better sight for the next 40 years.

I'm doing Crewe as a day trip from London. If my parole officer gets to see me on the bus, :jailed: