Loyal Supporters

There have been a number of debates on here about loyal supporters and 'superfans' but I think it is fair to say that one man has probably put us all to shame. OK, he's not a Latics fan but Sean Riley last night attended his 1,000th consecutive City game. The last game he missed was on the day of the Hillsborough disaster.

I believe that in that time he has arrived at a game late on one occassion when his train broke down and has also left a game early once upon hearing of the death of a close friend. Other than that, he's done the lot, including the european campaign last season.

I think it is fair to say that City fans have had some dross to put up with in the last twenty years and I'm not sure if this kind of loyalty is commendable or pure stupidity. I believe that he had a presentation on the pitch last night but i think that the one to be honoured should really be his wife for putting up with it.

What is the record for a Latics fan, on consecutive games?

Here's a picture of Sean showing where his heart really belongs:

4450_1107987872574_1613132698_250127_196399_n.jpg

Sean's the one on the right, trying to hide!

i know that pete mcellhatton tall one with long black hair ,he has not missed a home match for over 15 years and i think he has been to over 1000 home matches and 950 away too

Not only that, but he also walked the California Girls from the White Hart to BP, before his back was turned and it all went tits up.

Absolutely incredible achievement, well done Sean.

Where was the picture taken Mark?

The picture was taken in the mountains of Kazakhstan.

I'll kick off the challenge to find the Latics record with easily beatable efforts:

Current run - 0 games (I was away for Hartlepool)

Longest run - 93 games (21/11/95 - 13/09/97)

Well over 250 consecutive home, away and friendly matches in the late 80s / early 90s.

Not because I thought I was a superfan or anything, just because I enjoyed it (And it was a good excuse to get away from the mrs).

Always considered Pete Mc and Chub (RIP) to be two of the most dedicated fans, but I don't think either would be comfortable with the tag of superfan - their circumstances just allowed them to do what they enjoyed.

People who regularly travel great distances to watch their team instead of the local Prem side should be commended IMO

Football isn't everything. Whilst it is dedicated yes, you've got to question the priorities of someone who goes to 1,000 consecutive games...

Everyones personal circumstances are different. You're just assunming they have a family and the person is thinking of themsleves above that. Whilst that may be the case sometimes, it just might be that the person doesn't have much family, is single and has plenty of free time in which to do so. Also, it may turn out that the person's family are absolute dicks like many families are so if it's this case he has his priorities absolutely spot on! :grin:

Everyones personal circumstances are different. You're just assunming they have a family and the person is thinking of themsleves above that. Whilst that may be the case sometimes, it just might be that the person doesn't have much family, is single and has plenty of free time in which to do so. Also, it may turn out that the person's family are absolute dicks like many families are so if it's this case he has his priorities absolutely spot on! :grin:

Agreed, it very much depends on your circumstances.

In the 80's when I was single I didn't miss a match home or away for years, but since I got married I don't get to anywhere near as many away games as I used to, I still have my ST and miss very few home games though.

Agreed, it very much depends on your circumstances.

In the 80's when I was single I didn't miss a match home or away for years, but since I got married I don't get to anywhere near as many away games as I used to, I still have my ST and miss very few home games though.

I've gone the opposite way. When I was with my girlfriend, I went to every home and away match. Now we've split up, I don't go to any.

Have I got this the wrong way round?

The picture was taken in the mountains of Kazakhstan.

I'll kick off the challenge to find the Latics record with easily beatable efforts:

Current run - 0 games (I was away for Hartlepool)

Longest run - 93 games (21/11/95 - 13/09/97)

Best I've ever done is a run 266 consecutive Home games (including all First Team Home Friendlies)between August 1997 and October 2006 - God I saw some :censored:e in that time. Since then I have missed 4 home games, the last being the 3-0 win over Scunny in October 2008.

My longest consecutive run is all told home and away is a rather paltry 23 games between April - November 1994! Best over a season is 50 out of 56 in 02/03

Edited by oafcprozac

It's not necessarily to do with families though...what about social arrangements? Not even just nights out with mates, even weddings etc and big events...I refuse to believe that 1,000 consecutive games have not clashed with other potential arrangements. Obviously people have different priorities, clearly me and him (and many on here) would disagree...I just think there's a lot more to life than football.

I've gone the opposite way. When I was with my girlfriend, I went to every home and away match. Now we've split up, I don't go to any.

Have I got this the wrong way round?

I'm not sure, it depends on the girlfriend/Mrs.

I still get to local away games, Stockport, Huddersfield, Leeds, Crewe, Tranmere etc but South coast/old smoke away days are a distance memory for me.

It's not necessarily to do with families though...what about social arrangements? Not even just nights out with mates, even weddings etc and big events...I refuse to believe that 1,000 consecutive games have not clashed with other potential arrangements. Obviously people have different priorities, clearly me and him (and many on here) would disagree...I just think there's a lot more to life than football.

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, its much more serious than that !

I know Sean from England games and his partner is also football minded so they use there social time to watch games and meet with mates.

Sean is a dedicated football fan, Man City is his club.... He enjoys the game for the right reasons and makes time for what he enjoys.

Travel the world and watch football, try new foods and drink cold new beers !!! Lucky sod I say :wink:

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, its much more serious than that !

I know Sean from England games and his partner is also football minded so they use there social time to watch games and meet with mates.

Sean is a dedicated football fan, Man City is his club.... He enjoys the game for the right reasons and makes time for what he enjoys.

Travel the world and watch football, try new foods and drink cold new beers !!! Lucky sod I say :wink:

Is he gay