Merging Forums?

Merge Forums?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Is merging the sub-Forums a good idea?

• Yes
    • Some of them
    • No

I have been thinking about this for a while. Does anyone think the forum could be improved by allowing us to post about non OAFC related content here in the main forum?

Like it or not this is the main forum and I bet a lot of users only post or read here and not any of the other sub forums. I feel if we could post about other non-oafc topics we could improve the community on here because lets face it we all have differing opinions on OAFC and a lot of threads turn into bickering and pettyness. Maybe it would allow users to find some common ground in other areas.

This is a serious post, I really do think it would improve the site no end. I do understand why initially the forum has been set up like this but I dont think it works.

It would be good to hear some other views on this, maybe I am not alone in my view?

It's not for me. I normally only read this forum - and certainly when I'm at work - because I only care about the Latics-related stuff. Most of the time I don't care about betting, music, films, techie stuff, jokes, current affairs, etc, on here and if the main board became clogged up with irrelevant threads it'd be worse for it in my opinion.

That said, I could see value in combining many of the other boards into one or two alongside this one.

It's not for me. I normally only read this forum - and certainly when I'm at work - because I only care about the Latics-related stuff. Most of the time I don't care about betting, music, films, techie stuff, jokes, current affairs, etc, on here and if the main board became clogged up with irrelevant threads it'd be worse for it in my opinion.

That said, I could see value in combining many of the other boards into one or two alongside this one.

Ditto from me, but happy for some non related LAtics stuff, as long as its loosely relevent.

Even to the point of not calling this The Terraces the LAtics Forum. Just make this the main one, and have all the other to the side or under it.

I suppose it depends where you start, if you go in from the index here

it can look very messy, but the main page with the two sub forums at the top of Classic Media and Trust Oldham seems right.

Edited by singe

I suppose it depends where you start, if you go in from the index here

it can look very messy, but the main page with the two sub forums at the top of Classic Media and Trust Oldham seems right.

In the top right hand corner of each forum there is a negative sign (-)

If this is clicked it becomes a plus sign (+) and that forum collapses and you can have your own lay out of the forums you want to read.

The various forums are there for all topics to be discussed and help given to fans wanting it. It also allows more to be discussed in an orgainsed manner creating more revenue for the club

I just use the view new posts function, so I see all the forums that have new posts on them, and ignore threads or forums that have no interest to me, simples.

Maybe the powers that be could create a view all forums tab when you log on to go above "The Terraces - Latics Forum" which is basically the same function? I think this could encourage more posts elsewhere as I dont think many users view the forum in this way hence the lack of posts on other sub forums. Just an idea but could generate more revenue for the club and still keep everything separate for those who like it as it is.

With the greatest of respect fellow OWTB members, it's bad enough reading some of the barmy ideas about Latics that get posted - why on earth would I want to read madness about other topics??!!

And I'm sure that those who think I rtalk ubbish don't want to hear it on other topics. :D

I have always thought that there is too much "management" of the forums. Duplicate posts merged/deleted/moved. I am in favour of a single forum - it would be good to have differing non-Latics topics instead of the lots of same people slagging each other off.

I am pleased that the oppresive management seems to be less these days.. the moderators must have either seen the light or become less intersted! I doubt that the posters have changed their habits.

'View New Posts' is the only way (I have the button on my favourites bar so that I don't even need to scroll back up to the top). It also imitates the set-up which Wozz craves. I think I'd find the alternative methods of navigating tedious.

Thinking about it, because I only ever use 'View New Posts', I'm pretty much oblivious to which forum I'm reading.

How does everyone else navigate the site then? I use this: http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?act=idx then just scroll down to see if there are any posts in the other forums.

I have a link below on my favourites bar, but I do quite like the one Wardle showed me. I might think about changing it to that.

Access from here

Some of those stickys could come off :wink:

View New Posts has changed my life. I only discovered View New Posts in 2010 and now I can't remember a time before View New Posts.

View New Posts - it's the way.

Terms and conditions apply. See relegational pack for details. All entrants must be aged 4 or over.

Edited by Takemeanywhere

New ideas for improvements is always a good thing on any forum, and should always be encouraged.

In this case, I tend to agree with those who use 'View New Posts' - that's the usual way I view the forum, and when I'm looking for anything older the division of threads into the current sub-forums helps me narrow the search. (Yes I know there's a search tool, but I only use that as a last resort...!).

From experience on other forums, especially those as busy as this one, just one huge forum for every thread quickly becomes unmanageable, for mods as well as members. And I fail to understand how anyone could see the simple housekeeping the mods do - deleting/merging obvious duplicate threads, moving threads into the appropriate sub-forum etc. - as a bad thing, surely this makes the forum neater and more readable?

To broaden the appeal of the forum, I might even be tempted to suggest more sub-forums. Yes, as far as possible we should have a single forum to discuss anything about Latics - there's too much potential crossover between match and non-match discussion, for example. And there only really needs to be one taproom for all the random stuff - unless maybe we had a separate jokes/humour subforum? But how about separating the sports subforums into 'Other football' and 'Other Sports' ?