Game off!

I was inside the ground this morning when the inspection was on and the areas covered were the parts in the shade in front of the main stand... the coldest areas. The ref must have been on the pitch for about an hour checking it whilst it thawed slightly. It was rock solid in areas where the linesman runs and hard around the goal areas. I'm not surprised it is off, and you can't blame the club.

Yes I can, and I will. Obviously not spent enough money on protection. Poor management, a Tuesday night crowd will bring less, though how many less is debateable given the crap crowds at present. Won't be long before Alan tells us that the ground staff have been working tirelessly to ensure the game was on............yawn yawn

Used to be a phrase used 'round here - 10 bob millionaires. TTA take note.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you'd have thought that if it was only a couple of areas of the pitch, they could have spent the next two and a half hoursconcentrating soley on them to get the game on

Having just been down to the ground the surrounding fields are ice bound and frozen solid, so it must have been a harder frost in the area last night than expected.

Anyway look on the bright side, a new striker may be in place for the re-arranged fixture. :)

Edited by BP1960

I'm :censored: incensed at this...if that is the offical picture of the covers...why are they only covering part of the pitch?

We need games!!! It's unacceptable this today! We've had weather conditions like this a 100 times before and had games on. Either they didn't put the covers on soon enough, or they did but weren't out on properly, or didn't cover enough of the pitch. They talk about how vital it is to keep Saturday games then this happens. I tell you what!!!...if we were getting 5000+ thru the gate at the mo, this would've been on!!! But as we're getting the same 3600 on Sats as we would Tues now, there seems to have been less effort to make sure today goes ahead. Pathetic! Just had to tell my Brentford mate it's off...how embarrasing!

Can see Tuesday being off aswell at this rate. We've gunna end up bottom with about 6 or 7 games in hand at this rate! Makes Hardy's plea to stayway fans in the Chron the other day a bit of an embarrasment!

Amatuers!!!

Sorry mate but the ref will have had to take the covers off to look at the pitch and if the club had any sense they would leave that bit to last as its that bit which gets frozen first and thaws last- so if the other bits are unplayable then that will be too.

A lot of people on here were full of conspiracy theories about the Stockport game and that they hadn't done enough to get the game called on. I wasn't in Oldham last night so I don't know what the weather was like or how cold it was, and unless you live on Sheepfoot lane you aren't going to know what the weather was like at BP. (Incidentally Durham has snow on the ground). If we sign someone in the next 48 hours think about how bad that is going to look to the Brentford fans, most of whom will be a good distance North of Birmingham by now. I do think though if we had really wanted the game to be on we could have tried a bit harder- I don't see any Braziers or any heaters. Having said that we are notoriously the coldest ground in England and it won't eb the first time we have games called off when a lot of others are on.

Oh and if this is costing the club that much money- this new ground we are building in Failsworth, if that doesn't have undersoil heating, then either the club is stupid or its saving costs, neither of which are that good.

Sorry mate but the ref will have had to take the covers off to look at the pitch and if the club had any sense they would leave that bit to last as its that bit which gets frozen first and thaws last- so if the other bits are unplayable then that will be too.

A lot of people on here were full of conspiracy theories about the Stockport game and that they hadn't done enough to get the game called on. I wasn't in Oldham last night so I don't know what the weather was like or how cold it was, and unless you live on Sheepfoot lane you aren't going to know what the weather was like at BP. (Incidentally Durham has snow on the ground). If we sign someone in the next 48 hours think about how bad that is going to look to the Brentford fans, most of whom will be a good distance North of Birmingham by now. I do think though if we had really wanted the game to be on we could have tried a bit harder- I don't see any Braziers or any heaters. Having said that we are notoriously the coldest ground in England and it won't eb the first time we have games called off when a lot of others are on.

Oh and if this is costing the club that much money- this new ground we are building in Failsworth, if that doesn't have undersoil heating, then either the club is stupid or its saving costs, neither of which are that good.

The Corp will be pleased with your Premiership ambitions :grin:

2 things...I live higher up than Sheepfoot Lane in Oldham. And....I'm not saying there's any conspiracy...I'm saying someone's not done their job properly! We can all point to fields elsewhere...they've not had covers on it to protect to -4c and having got home at 1am last night (no beer or beer coat involved) it wasn't -4 then. Indeed, my housemate left to go to work at 6am and said it was -2c on his cars thermometer. Again...in a higher part of Oldham. With hours to go to thaw...somethings gone wrong here.

Also....It's not due to drop below freezing until 7/8pm. At 3pm the temp is forecast to be 3c. I remember that Tuesday night Luton game...called off about 7pm...45mins before...but we decide to do so almost over 2 and a half hours before on a Saturday! Now either you call it off at 8am...or as you know Brentford fans are well on its way, you give it up to kick off rather than 12.30!

There is another side to it...maybe football is just that f***** up and there's too much protection. Even 10yrs ago we played Walsall in a drab Xmas 0-0 and the ref brought HT to an end 5 mins early as he was worried about the pitch freezing up too much to play. Was colder that day than today....it's getting ridiculous, all this safety lark. But that's by the by...I've no doubt at all that more effort would've been put in for today had we had Leeds coming, or a 5000+ attendance.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Gutted its off was looking forward to going - didnt think conditions would be that bad few others games are off now

FOOTBALL:Games at Watford, Oldham, Lincoln, Cheltenham, Rotherham and Chester all postponed

All these tuesday night games aint going to do us any favours what so ever - well annoyed

The Corp will be pleased with your Premiership ambitions :grin:

Is undersoil heating a Premiership only thing then? It makes serious common sense to me for Oldham to have undersoil heating in a new ground as the cost of instillation won't be as expensive, but that depends on how much we have lost with having games called off and since we apparently lost £10k on the pies I can imagine it would pay for itself after one season like this one.

Do we have covers for the whole pitch?

If we do then thats just lazy and laughable given the we will do everything to keep the game on comments from AH.... everything but pull the covers on properly

Sat 30 Jan

Last 8hrs (doesn't go further back...

6am

-2° C

Mostly Cloudy7am

-3° C

Partly Sunny8am

-2° C

Partly Sunny9am

-1° C

Partly Sunny10am

-2° C

Partly Sunny11am

-2° C

Partly SunnyNoon

-1° C

Partly Sunny1pm

-1° C

Partly Sunny

Predicted...next few hours

12:00 14:59 2 °c

15:00 17:59 2 °c

18:00 20:59 -3 °c

21:00 23:59 -3 °c

Can't see -4 in there...shame it doesn't go any further back on Accuweather...but same temps tonight predict -3 as the lowest....anyway...never mind eh!

Something went wrong.

Yes. The covers didn't work. They have already stated that.

Although i do agree about the health and saftey remark about Killing the game as they do in pretty much everything their involved in.

2 things...I live higher up than Sheepfoot Lane in Oldham. And....I'm not saying there's any conspiracy...I'm saying someone's not done their job properly! We can all point to fields elsewhere...they've not had covers on it to protect to -4c and having got home at 1am last night (no beer or beer coat involved) it wasn't -4 then. Indeed, my housemate left to go to work at 6am and said it was -2c on his cars thermometer. Again...in a higher part of Oldham. With hours to go to thaw...somethings gone wrong here.

Also....It's not due to drop below freezing until 7/8pm. At 3pm the temp is forecast to be 3c. I remember that Tuesday night Luton game...called off about 7pm...45mins before...but we decide to do so almost over 2 and a half hours before on a Saturday! Now either you call it off at 8am...or as you know Brentford fans are well on its way, you give it up to kick off rather than 12.30!

There is another side to it...maybe football is just that f***** up and there's too much protection. Even 10yrs ago we played Walsall in a drab Xmas 0-0 and the ref brought HT to an end 5 mins early as he was worried about the pitch freezing up too much to play. Was colder that day than today....it's getting ridiculous, all this safety lark. But that's by the by...I've no doubt at all that more effort would've been put in for today had we had Leeds coming, or a 5000+ attendance.

Fair enough- the original paragraph of mine was the reply to you the rest was just a general reply. I entirely agree that if we were playing Leeds or were on TV or had a big gate coming we would have done more but no its Brentford in January when no one has any money. It would be nice if Dale or Bury or Stockport were at home today to see if there games are still on but none of them are (its Bury v. Dale on Monday on Sky).

I do think the FA needs to look into this as health and saftey is going to mean loads of postponments as either the pitch isn't safe or the stands or the pavements, someone might get hurt at a football match shock. Its football its supposed to be an active sport people are going to get hurt. This is going to sound flippant but if the safety of the fans and players is that important why is nothing more done to limit the activites of the Millwall fans and idiots like Adam Tweese.

Incidentally do refs get paid if they call the game off?

Many thanks to the driver of the black BMW with the OAFC number plate on the M180 who let us know the game was off. Mind you, pulling alongside us at 75mph and pulling his finger across his throat is perhaps not the best way of getting the message across. :lol: