This "SEASON TICKET REFUND IF ENGLAND WIN WORLD CUP" is stupid

According to that guy who was just on Talksport, they expect a 30% increase in sales. LOFL

So he thinks he would find 1000 people in Oldham who dont already go watching Latics who would accept what is in effect an even money bet on England to win the world cup?

Take the £340 and you can get 6-1 at the bookies.

According to that guy who was just on Talksport, they expect a 30% increase in sales. LOFL

So he thinks he would find 1000 people in Oldham who dont already go watching Latics who would accept what is in effect an even money bet on England to win the world cup?

:lol: seriously?

Its stupid because nobody in the right mind thinks England are good enough to go all the way in the World Cup. I cannot see anyone who doesnt usually buy a season ticket, buy one because of this offer with the prospect of getting their money back - the reason they got one.

If somehow we did win the World Cup (I hope we do but I've got a feeling its Spains time, again...) and all season ticket holders got their money back - I can see this being to much of a financial loss for Oldham and major consequences to follow. All for a few more fans! 30%?!?! NEVER!!!

Its stupid because nobody in the right mind thinks England are good enough to go all the way in the World Cup. I cannot see anyone who doesnt usually buy a season ticket, buy one because of this offer with the prospect of getting their money back - the reason they got one.

If somehow we did win the World Cup (I hope we do but I've got a feeling its Spains time, again...) and all season ticket holders got their money back - I can see this being to much of a financial loss for Oldham and major consequences to follow. All for a few more fans! 30%?!?! NEVER!!!

i dont think england will win it but theyve got more chance than usual this time so latics are taking advantage. im sure nearer to the deadline and when there's more hype with england and football in general, they'll get more of the people your talking aboit

No one is going to buy a season ticket because they think England are going to win the World Cup, people will buy a season ticket to watch Oldham play...y'know, for the product itself. This refund scheme is just an added incentive for people to buy a season ticket, perhaps for those sitting on the fence about it.

It's a win win situation for those who are already season ticket holders and planning to renew, it will defo sway it for the ones that were undecided

I don't reckon we'll win the world cup but I dont think a 30% increase is that unrealistic, Theres got to be one in 3 Englishmen who reckons we'll win the world cup

So there are 2,600 season tickets at the moment (based on figures from the uninformed on this board :wink: ).

Let's say it's £320 a pop. That's £832,000 of income this season.

If TTA place a bet (or take out an insurance policy) at odds of 6/1 then a stake (or premium) of £119,000 will return £833,000 if England win the World Cup.

So £119,000 divided by £320 = an increase of 372 sales needed to make the scheme break even.

I think it might just turn a profit - and we should all get behind it (and force those lapsed-fan friends to start saving now).

Edited by opinions4u

What guy, who?

Talksport guy or our guy?

Edited by singe

I know myself and 2 others will be getting season tickets next year again due to this scheme! Why does it appeal?

1. It makes watching England in the World Cup even more exciting than it usually is!

2. I think we have a strong chance of doing well in the WC as per usual, so who knows maybe I will get a free season ticket!

3. Id much rather take this bet and lose and get a season ticket than bet £340 and lose it all at the bookies.

4. I watch a lot of Latics games and have up until this season had a season ticket for a good number of years so a potentially free season ticket sounds good to me.

So there are 2,600 season tickets at the moment (based on figures from the uninformed on this board :wink: ).

If TTA place a bet (or take out an insurance policy) at odds of 6/1 then a stake (or premium) of £119,000 will return £833,000 if England win the World Cup.

So £119,000 divided by £320 = an increase of 372 sales needed to make the scheme break even.

I think it might just turn a profit - and we should all get behind it (and force those lapsed-fan friends to start saving now).

+1

30% more than were gona renew or buy YES!

BUT

30% increase NO WAY.

It depends how they are looking at it ... w/o an offer they wud get a huge decrease in numbers

That's how I see it, I can imagine that it will get some people who aren't happy at the moment to renew. A good end to the season would probably do more but belt and braces is fine by me.

They'll do well to get that amount on at the bookies, they sh!t themselves if you try to have £100 on a horse.

They'll do well to get that amount on at the bookies, they sh!t themselves if you try to have £100 on a horse.

For that sort of thing you would probably go to Lloyds of London rather than William Hill. Or at least not place the bet in England where patriotic hype will make the odds lower than in other markets.

I don't for one minute think the club believe that this offer will lead to '1000 people in Oldham who dont already go watching Latics' buying season tickets for next season. What it will lead too, though is a decent number of people who currently go watching Latics and would have gone to a fair few games next season deciding that it is worth buying a season ticket rather than just picking and choosing their games next term.

I would imagine that the 30% increase refers to an extra 30% deciding to buy a season ticket than would have done without this offer. Personally I think that this is probably achievable but we will never know as there is no way of knowing how many would have bought STs without the offer.

I don't get the point about putting £340 on England to win the WC at the bookies. If we don't win it, you end up with nothing. Under this deal, if we don't win it, you end up no worse off.

I don't get the point about putting £340 on England to win the WC at the bookies. If we don't win it, you end up with nothing. Under this deal, if we don't win it, you end up no worse off.

Whilst I completely agree with you, I'd expect the argument that someone who disagreed would put forward is that if you are convinced England will win the WC, then you'd place £340 at 6/1 and buy an ST out of the £2000 you'd win and keep the change. You'd have to be very convinced/deluded that England were onto a sure thing though.

For that sort of thing you would probably go to Lloyds of London rather than William Hill. Or at least not place the bet in England where patriotic hype will make the odds lower than in other markets.

Presactly.

A quick review of the markets shows 5/1 or 11/2 as the best price a mainstream bookie would give you.

Attendances shot up after the 1966 win...that must be the basis for it.

They need 372 more just to break even? Its a farcial LOL never going to happen. After that dross on the pitch this season, only way i'll be renewing is dependent on the manager, not watching another season of the performances dished up this year. Worst i've ever known it.

Is this your first season then?