Why Don't You Like Manchester?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...chicks...?

No idiots mate, well, lots of idiots, but no dangerous ones. :grin:

Stitch, I'm not doubting Oldham is rough as fook - it is. And yes, possibly worse than a few others around. It's just that I know of an awful lot of provincial towns that are just as bad. And not all of them are 'working class northern towns' either.

I stopped going out in Oldham about twenty years ago. Over the few years before that I definitely got the impression it was getting worse. It helped that when we did go out when I was 18 or so our group was, ahem, fairly handy. So we did tend to attract the odd council estate hard man but it's amazing how often he didn't come back when he'd sussed us out and "gone to get his mates". :lol:

Don't be thinking Oldham is special though - Ashton, Rochdale, Middleton, Stockport, Stoke and Hull can all be just as bad. And Swansea, Plymouth, Luton and Glasgow are an awful lot worse.

I'm not naive enough to think it's anything special within the wider scheme of things, but I'm not naive enough to pretend it's rather ordinary either. I didn't make the stat I heard on the radio up (though it was a good few years back) and I've never seen the police dominate a 'drinking strip' like they feel the need to on Yorkshire Street these days. Police are pretty much invisible in Manchester, and I don't recall seeing any when I found myself out in Rochdale, a town probably more deprived than Oldham, a few Fridays back. I suspect many of the perpetrators aren't even proper Oldhamers - Oldham is a bigger satellite town and has a much more, ahem, vibrant nightlife than others and so attracts people from slighlty further afield. My criticisms aren't meant as a slant on the people of Oldham.

Finally, my own experiences confirm it, in my mind at least, to be notably worse than other towns I've been out in, and Manchester in particular as per Ackey's comments which is what prompted me to post about my Oldham Crusades. Romford felt pretty nasty mind, once you look past their pink T-shirts and faux diamond ear-studs, and I would imagine the likes of Glasgow to be much worse, particularly for an Englishman, and it's surrounding towns worse again. I've declined the odd night out up there with a touch of cowardice/good sense playing a role. :lol:

No "Oldham MB" is "Oldham MB"... The "town of Oldham" is the "town of Oldham"... They are two different things....

In my eyes Oldham “town” is now just a ward or at best the (town) centre of Oldham MB. A town is normally only considered to be a town if it has its own administration and Oldham ward doesn’t. The town hall is no longer used and the civic centre administrates for the entire borough. Yes it may have not always been that way but I wasn’t alive when it was any different. I will nod to the History but in the here and now, Oldham IS Oldham MB in which Oldham ward is merely a constituent part.

I couldn't give a toss if failsworth is in oldham or manchester, IMO it's just the wrong location for our stadium....not because i hate mancs or the boozers are crap, purely and simply just the wrong location.

It seems there's no alternatives though so what now?

We build a 10,000 seater stadium for a league 2 side - crowds remain around the 3,000 average - dropping to 2,000 when the team is eventually relegated to the BSP - we all sit in the new clubhouse and talk of the good old days - dreaming of getting to the first round of the FA Cup proper - gradually I stop going and follow my new team (Arsenal probably) :grin:

No idiots mate, well, lots of idiots, but no dangerous ones. :grin:

:unsure:<_<

I would imagine the likes of Glasgow to be much worse, particularly for an Englishman, and it's surrounding towns worse again. I've declined the odd night out up there with a touch of cowardice/good sense playing a role. :lol:

Put it this way. As out of town contractors in Plymouth, when the locals said, "Ooh no, you want to avoid Union Street," then the first Friday night we were out we hit Union Street and had a proper laugh (you just need to stay alert if the army and navy are both in on the same night... :grin: ).

As out of towners in Glasgow, it was made very clear where we shouldn't go (and not just at night) ... and we listened. Attentively. Although I did once walk through Govan to Ibrox for a match. As an away fan. :unsure:

Anyway can I ask what you like about Manchester and Oldham for that matter.

Sure. All the scallies are in surrounding towns (Like Oldham) on a Saturday night, leaving Manchester to be a relatively trouble-free and decent night out.

I wouldn't shop in Oldham - Manchester is 100 times better.

Manchester attracts some fabulous bands (and theatre productions).

Manchester is continually improving and regenerating, with a view to becoming one of the most advanced cities in the world, whilst Oldham slips back into the dark ages.

However, for some reason I feel more comfortable in the company of Oldhamers than mancunians (apart from the Oldhamers with plastic manc accents!)

It's true. He even lives over there with you in Yorkshire. Sorry, I meant Delph. :wink:

Still don't believe you Jamie - are you sure he's not using a double bluff to fool you, then runs away sniggering, wiping the tears of laughter on his gold and green scarf?

Oh I do worry about their problems, poor lambs..............