Why Don't You Like Manchester?

You'll find that the post referred to the perpetrators being from Manchester.

You'd also find that the people who live in the lancaster Rd area (where the gun gang were from) very much consider themselves Mancunian, as do Salfordians and many, if not most Failsworthians.

But hey, we can all ask a question in order to try and pick holes in the replies, especially if we're using the drawn boundaries to back us up.

Why don't I like Manchester? Gun crime. It's for cowards. Ask me another :wink:

Sorry but thats absolute bollocks!

In Glossop I am 10 miles from Oldham and I am 10 miles from Manchester I would only ever go to Oldham for the football everythingelse I would go to Manchester for except work. I work in Salford opposite Media city where there are alot of large buildings going up to house the BBC and other media companies in the area the plan is to turn it into the silican valley of the media world. Is their anywhere in Oldham that has a development like that? No and their hasn't for the last 100 years either.

Manchester offers more job opportunities

Manchester offers a better night than Oldham decent bars plus cinemas and bowling alleys aplenty by the way.

Better shopping facilities

For someone to use the the gun crime arguement against Manchester is like using the race riots arguement why you should hate Oldham and both would be pretty ignorant assumptions as to what Oldham and Manchester are really like.

Edited by GlossopLatic

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously it's only anecdotal evidence. However I've lived in the Northern Quarter, Rusholme/Longsight, BBC area of the centre and then Failsworth and Sale further afield.

In my twenty-sum years I've only ever had 'trouble' a handful of times and all bar one of those occurred in Oldham town centre.

But to be fair, since you have been old enough to drink you have only been out in Failsworth (and I mean properly out, round a fair few of the boozers) and handful of times.

although i`m oldham born and bred...... for over twenty years i`ve kept close with several friends in failsworth .......and i`ve met many friends of there`s from the nearby area/s , woodhouses/moston/newton heath/miles platting....etc.........and in my humble experience, geography aside, as the cliche goes, they are no different to you or me ........it`s true !!

but you would be very hard pushed to find one of them who even remotely thinks of themselves as anything other than `mancunian`.

example : whilst we in oldham go `up town` ie: into oldham town centre........they as failsworth/mancunians go `into town` ie: into manchester....it`s just the way it is.....it`s a fact.

it`s a whole different mindset just past where the owd roxy used to be.......the accent difference and culture change within a fifty yard stretch of when hollinwood turns into `failswurf` is living proof of it!!!.

as far as the majority of folk i`ve met there are concerned, they are from failswurf in manchestaw.... `end of` for them.

it is this little bell which most latics fans can clearly hear at some level of consciousness......and given the above, it just isn`t ringing right regarding the proposed stadium move.

Agree with that - I know an 18 year old Man U fan who lives in Hollinwood and HATES the fact that he was born in Oldham. He wishes his birth certificate had "Manchestoh" on it.

For someone to use the the gun crime arguement against Manchester is like using the race riots arguement why you should hate Oldham and both would be pretty ignorant assumptions as to what Oldham and Manchester are really like.

What would be really ignorant would be if someone offered an opinion without reading the posts correctly.

It is ONE of the reasons I don't like Manchester (Or any big cities for that matter). The other reasons were listed earlier in the thread.

As for the rest of your post, they were all reasons to like Manchester - that wasn't the question.

Ask me what I like about Manchester and you might find you get a completely different answer - maybe that's what Ackey should have done if he didn't want the honest answers he got?

Edited by outoftheblue

Sorry but thats absolute bollocks!

In Glossop I am 10 miles from Oldham and I am 10 miles from Manchester I would only ever go to Oldham for the football everythingelse I would go to Manchester for except work. I work in Salford opposite Media city where there are alot of large buildings going up to house the BBC and other media companies in the area the plan is to turn it into the silican valley of the media world. Is their anywhere in Oldham that has a development like that? No and their hasn't for the last 100 years either.

Manchester offers more job opportunities

Manchester offers a better night than Oldham decent bars plus cinemas and bowling alleys aplenty by the way.

Better shopping facilities

Surely that's just a comparison between any town and city rather than Oldham and Manchester, if you know what I mean? :unsure:

Agree with that - I know an 18 year old Man U fan who lives in Hollinwood and HATES the fact that he was born in Oldham. He wishes his birth certificate had "Manchestoh" on it.

Then he's Plastic Fantastic and no doubt a liar to boot. :)

What would be really ignorant would be if someone offered an opinion without reading the posts correctly.

It is ONE of the reasons I don't like Manchester (Or any big cities for that matter). The other reasons were listed earlier in the thread.

As for the rest of your post, they were all reasons to like Manchester - that wasn't the question.

Ask me what I like about Manchester and you might find you get a completely different answer - maybe that's what Ackey should have done if he didn't want the honest answers he got?

You did make alot of assumptions about mancunians and manchester in general you have summed up the average mancunian to be like Liam Gallagher thats like summing up the average Glaswegian as Rab C Nesbit or like the average Geordie as being like Paul Gascoigne or the average scouser as like Yosser Hughes. To me Oldhamers and Mancs are probably more similar barring a minor bit of dialect than they would care to admit.

Anyway can I ask what you like about Manchester and Oldham for that matter.

don't hate mancs as I pretty much am one.

if Manchester had a beach it would be the worlds greatest city :grin:

Failsworth is Manchester & is the last place in "Oldham" i'd want a new stadium to be

driving down Oldham Rd (therein lies another distinction - is it Oldham Rd or Manchester Rd?? or does it depend which way you're going?) as you pass the end of Broadway you can see the City Centre skyline right in front of you - it's Manchester.

but I want a new stadium, wherever it is.

confused,

Royton

It is in one of them grey areas isnt it, no matter how much you look there will never be one definitive place that will say its definately oldham or definately manchester, its all about perceptions and what you class as the thing that defines places,

if you class it on postcodes then its in manchester, if you class it has the old boundaries then its in oldham, ti for tat either way, new stadium means new money and a new hope providing darth city dont attempt to create a death star.

But to be fair, since you have been old enough to drink you have only been out in Failsworth (and I mean properly out, round a fair few of the boozers) and handful of times.

I'm talking about just living in the areas mate, not just going out in them.

The only time I was attacked outside of Oldham town centre at any point in my life was admittedly in Failsworth, at about 7 in the evening, the others all occurred in Oldham centre, one again at around 7pm.

I'll admit I have no intention of going out in Failsworth on the lash as it is a dump around the common drinking areas such as the pole, but then as you know I have no intention of going out drinking in Oldham centre for the exact same reason.

I've walked the streets of Longsight at ungodly hours on the way home from drunken debauchery many times and thankfully always got home safe, the same can't be said of Oldham.

It's anecdotal - I don't have crime stat's to suggest one way or the other which is safer - but then I bet those who've asserted these areas as near death-traps don't either - and that's the key point.

I hesitate to repeat the point that if you class it on postcodes then Todmorden is in Oldham... :unsure:

and the poster previous to thats reasoning. Hyde must be Oldham as you can see the Oldham Town Centre from there. Why don't you campaign for Failsworth to be part of Manchester City Council and then you will get your wishes.

driving down Oldham Rd (therein lies another distinction - is it Oldham Rd or Manchester Rd?? or does it depend which way you're going?) as you pass the end of Broadway you can see the City Centre skyline right in front of you - it's Manchester.

You can see the moon from my flat... does that mean I'm the first man to live on the moon!?

WOOHOO! Someone call Guinness! I'm going to be famous!

In terms of the Friday night out on the piste, Oldham is much the same as any other similar sized provincial town - there's only really one main bars/clubs/takeaways area and it frequently gets a bit tasty.

You'll also find trouble out in Manchester on a Friday night, but at least being a city it's big enough for you to be able to avoid the trouble spots and (probably) have a safe night out... although ideally you need to avoid the taxi ranks at 3am cos there always seems to be some 17 year old Salford scally who thinks he can push in.

and the poster previous to thats reasoning. Hyde must be Oldham as you can see the Oldham Town Centre from there. Why don't you campaign for Failsworth to be part of Manchester City Council and then you will get your wishes.

I was just saying its subjective where it is, personally i dont care what you want to call it manchester or oldham, my point is its not that far away and will bring us revenue in with this new stadium... but thats for another thread, back on this subject I cant recall many times I have been that safe in oldham on a night out, yet in manchester I feel a lot safer, so that could be a basis of an opinion aswell, like all places manchester have decent people and scum its hardly fair to say they are all the same

Failsworth is part of Oldham and has been since 1974. Fact. End of discussion.

Whether the residents see themselves as Oldhamers or Mancs, or see Failsworth through their eyes as part of Manchester, is a different argument alltogether.

No, Failsworth is part of the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham... Within that Metropolitan Borough you have the town of Oldham and the town of Failsworth. Failsworth is not part of the town of Oldham and it is not part of the city of Manchester. Now that is a fact.