Why Don't You Like Manchester?

I think I've earned enough goodwill on this site over the last three years to show this is not an attempt at fishing.

I would like to hear from those who oppose the Failsworth moved based on it being "in Manchester" and why the Manchester factor is the sticking point.

I don't care about "we're Oldham we should be in Oldham" as that's an explanation in itself, I want to know why people who consider themselves Oldhamers hate those who they consider Mancs.

Please be constructive and not gratuitously inflammatory, ta.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a starter, growing up as a Latics fan you got United, and to a lesser extent City shoved down your throats. I don't dislike Mancs per say but when it comes to football, which is a culture in itself then it's behaviours that matter. A West Ham fan would never settle for football the Wimbledon way, there are certain things in football that just are and Latics being in Failsworth is one of them.

I went to Chaddy Grammar and we had lads from Failsworth at our school, they were a different breed! As I've said in a previous post I've nothing against Mancs in general, I Like the city to shop/eat/drink etc but does our club belong there? I've always felt out of Oldham & into Manchester when I pass Holinwood on the A62 or the Broadway pub on the A633.

I don't expect it to make sense to everyone and I accept I might be in a minority (or a silent majority, who knows?)

Anyway Ackey, you asked the question.....................

I think I've earned enough goodwill on this site over the last three years to show this is not an attempt at fishing.

I would like to hear from those who oppose the Failsworth moved based on it being "in Manchester" and why the Manchester factor is the sticking point.

I don't care about "we're Oldham we should be in Oldham" as that's an explanation in itself, I want to know why people who consider themselves Oldhamers hate those who they consider Mancs.

Please be constructive and not gratuitously inflammatory, ta.

You've answered the question, in the question, well as it pertains to Failsworth anyway.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

As a starter, growing up as a Latics fan you got United, and to a lesser extent City shoved down your throats. I don't dislike Mancs per say but when it comes to football, which is a culture in itself then it's behaviours that matter. A West Ham fan would never settle for football the Wimbledon way, there are certain things in football that just are and Latics being in Failsworth is one of them.

I went to Chaddy Grammar and we had lads from Failsworth at our school, they were a different breed! As I've said in a previous post I've nothing against Mancs in general, I Like the city to shop/eat/drink etc but does our club belong there? I've always felt out of Oldham & into Manchester when I pass Holinwood on the A62 or the Broadway pub on the A633.

I don't expect it to make sense to everyone and I accept I might be in a minority (or a silent majority, who knows?)

Anyway Ackey, you asked the question.....................

the new ground isnt going in manchester though is it....if anything its on the borders of chadderton moston failsworth and newton heath

manchester as far as im concerned means manchester centre,and not the surrounding areas...

if you want to be picky then oldham is in greater manchester and has been for years.

i can understand to an extent people saying oh we will lose our identity...but it isnt anything like what happened to wimbledon is it.

the new ground isnt going in manchester though is it....if anything its on the borders of chadderton moston failsworth and newton heath

manchester as far as im concerned means manchester centre,and not the surrounding areas...

if you want to be picky then oldham is in greater manchester and has been for years.

i can understand to an extent people saying oh we will lose our identity...but it isnt anything like what happened to wimbledon is it.

Please can we avoid this Manchester/Oldham debate? It's done to death on about 30 threads on OWTB alone, plus countless debates in pubs around the area.

I want to hear from people on why they have the feelings (even if they're positive, I suppose) they do towards Manchester.

To me the new ground would be in Manchester - YES! that's my point.

To be clear by mentioning Wimbledon & West Ham I was referring to the style of play, not Franchise FC etc

I don't like Oldham, but it's home. I'll defend it if necessary and it's correct to do so. Similarly, I don't really like Manchester. I worked there for long enough for it to grate on me to a sufficient degree that I couldn't wait to leave the area and disassociate myself.

The people (generally, in my experience, etc.) just aren't very nice. Horrible accent, scruffy, ill-tempered, uneducated and bizarrely arrogant.

And if that's not gratuitously inflammatory, I don't know what is.

To misquote a famous film* line, you're gonna need a bigger server. Sorry.

Exactly how many miles is it from BP to the proposed site in Failsworth?

It cannot be that many can it? 4.6 miles to be precise.

If the new stadium cannot be a redeveloped BP the Failsworth is still close enough to Oldham for me - so Ihave no problem :unsure:

* Famous film - Jaws

Edited by TheBigDog

Gannonpasssmaster makes a fair point.

I used to say: "Near Manchester," when asked where I was from, mainly because if I said: "Oldham," people would say: "Where?"

After the riots a few years back, I started saying: "Near Manchester," so people wouldn't associate me with their perceptions of Oldham following said riots.

Now I just say: "Near Manchester," and hope people don't pry further. Sad to say, but I kind of agree with Gannonpassmaster.

Gannonpasssmaster makes a fair point.

I used to say: "Near Manchester," when asked where I was from, mainly because if I said: "Oldham," people would say: "Where?"

After the riots a few years back, I started saying: "Near Manchester," so people wouldn't associate me with their perceptions of Oldham following said riots.

Now I just say: "Near Manchester," and hope people don't pry further. Sad to say, but I kind of agree with Gannonpassmaster.

Similar story here, I lived my first 18 years in Oldham then moved away, have lived in Sheffield, Warwick, Brighton and finally Bury, when asked by a non-local where I am from I say Manchester as it just saves time explaining where Oldham is, no, I wasn't in the riots, no, it isn't as bad as all that and there are actually some really nice parts. If the subject moves on to footie I say that I did something wrong in a former life and support Latics.

Anyway, as a famous Mancunian once said, "...it's not where you're from, it's where yer at" - if the new ground ends up in Piccadilly Gardens or on the site of Oldham College as long as Latics are playing there I'll be at Latics come hell or high water.

I dont understand the hatred to manchester personally, I just know that were supposed to,

to say that people act in a certain way just because they are from that area is bordering on racist surely?

Im sure there are a lot of scumbags in manchester that give it a bad reputation but then again there are in any town including oldham, its very stereotypical its like saying that because were from the north we all go round in flat caps smoking our pipes

But it seems to happen everywhere with all local towns, bolton and blackburn are the same.

You should have asked why people don't like Failsworth.

And people in Oldham don't like Failsworth because of the fake Manc accent that so many of them put on (and lay on extremely thick), and the way they protest way too much about not being from Oldham.

Thing is, I wouldn't be going there to hear the accents of the locals. I actually couldn't give a toss about it as a reaason to be in favour or against Failsworth as a potential site.

my reason has nothing to do with it being "in manchester" etc.

my reason of being opposed to it is because of its close proximity to man city and manchester itself.

it is purely an economic reason as to why i don't agree with it...i wouldn't think of opening a corner shop next door to tesco.

as for it being in failsworth..well failsworth is failsworth...its not oldham.

we should have our ground as close to oldham as possible.

i'll let others "hate" manchester.

I went to the COMS yesterday to watch City vs Liverpool. I came away with the same feelings for the home fans that I always have when I come away from there.

They are, in general, unwitty, uneducated and uncouth.

I couldn't count the amount of times I heard the words 'Scouse C**ts', and that was in a corporate section. Their bias and refusal to accept the referee's <mostly correct> decisions was laughable, and their knowledge of the rules of the game practically non-existant.

If anyone seriously believes our fans are the worst moaners in the country they've never been to COMS, because their abuse of their own players is shocking, and that's a team with a hell of a lot more to cheer than we have.

It only takes a 10 minute walk round Conran St Market to realise that the Mancunian public are no different from the football fans - the blatant selling of counterfeits, spitting and unnecessary language (Particularly from women) are real eye-openers.

I hate a huge amount of things about Oldham, but I'd rather live anywhere other than manchester. Almost all the gun crime, and a huge amount of violent disturbances in the town centre have been perpetrated by people from Moston, Salford (Yes I know it aint technically Manchester), and surrounding areas of Manchester, and Failsworth has become a Wild West town because of brainless mancunian thugs intent on ruining someone's night.

I'll summarise the average manc in just two words;

Liam Gallagher.

So, so far, we have:

"Because we're supposed to"

"Their accents"

"The City/United fans"

"I hate everywhere" (Thanks Z, useful as always! :wink: )

"it's not Oldham"

"They are, in general, unwitty, uneducated and uncouth."

"selling of counterfeits, spitting and unnecessary language (Particularly from women)"

"Liam Gallagher."

and some foundationless and worthless claims about gun crime.

Keep 'um coming.

Manchester is like the big brother in comparison to Oldham you could say, the poor relation. A bit of jealousy towards Manchester and loyalty to keep the club in the heartlands and not let Manchester take our club away as well.

Towns like Rochdale and Ashton are looked on more favourably for a ground move as they're not as big as Manchester. Thats how I see it anyways.

I like Manchester, it's a great city.

my reason has nothing to do with it being "in manchester" etc.

my reason of being opposed to it is because of its close proximity to man city and manchester itself.

it is purely an economic reason as to why i don't agree with it...i wouldn't think of opening a corner shop next door to tesco.

Yes but it's not the same as opening a corner shop...they're not creating a new football team, they're just moving an old established one to new premises. To try and fit into your commercial example, you see loads of Caffe Neros next to Starbucks in city centres, likewise it's not uncommon to find multiple supermarkets/big chain convenience stores near eachother. Often shoppers have a loyalty or a preference for a certain company...well football fans are even more loyal. If someone had an idea of starting a new team in Manchester, noone would give them the time of day.

It's not like Oldhamers who go to watch OAFC only do so because it's convenient and they want to watch United or City but they're too far away.

Edited by jsslatic