Why Don't You Like Manchester?

It’s a town thing. People from Cities look down on people from towns. People from towns resent this unfounded arrogance that a person from a city is a better person because they have a bigger HMV.

Same wherever you look.

On the outside looking in like an aquarium.

People always prefer to associate themselves with cities because cities have better bars shopping and all the musicians associate themselves with being from there so they can get more support when they are on their way up.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have never enjoyed myself in Manchester whether it be shopping, night out or somthing else, but there has always been this feeling in my head that I wish I was anywhere but here, its a :censored:hole (so is Oldham but its my :censored:hole).

As for Mancs themselves they seem to have this need to prove to people that there someone important, some like to think there 'hard' lots try to think that there gangsters and can get the boys on you if you happen to look at them in the wrong way.

As this topic stems from the move to Failsworth I have found the places on the edge of Manchester like Failsworth and Middleton to be even worse as they try to prove to any one that will listen that they are Mancs by doing there best impression of Liam Gallagher ( 'alrite our kid' is usually the one I'm greeted with even when I have no clue who I'm speaking to, never mind the fact that I'm not being their younger sibling)

Also the accent manages to make the Scouse one sound slightly sexy!!

By the way I'm in favour of the move to failsworth.

same here regarding rivalry between the towns and cities

Barnsley folk have a rivalry with Sheffield folk

Rotherham (toy town as its known) folk have the same rivalry with Sheffield

you get it everywhere, we are no different to anybody else in the country

when asked here where im from, i ALWAYS say im from Oldham, i am proud to be from Oldham for what it once was

i will then start to describe our history and how much of a :censored: hole it is now . . . .

yonner and proud :wink:

Especially as it appears to me there were more in Oldham than Failsworth... :wink:

You'll find that the post referred to the perpetrators being from Manchester.

You'd also find that the people who live in the lancaster Rd area (where the gun gang were from) very much consider themselves Mancunian, as do Salfordians and many, if not most Failsworthians.

But hey, we can all ask a question in order to try and pick holes in the replies, especially if we're using the drawn boundaries to back us up.

Why don't I like Manchester? Gun crime. It's for cowards. Ask me another :wink:

Some interesting and valid points in here, at least from those who took ackey's opener at face value.

Growing up as an Oldhamer, I never really saw the problem with identifying myself as an Oldhamer but also, in the bigger picture, being 'part of' Manchester (bearing in mind when I grew up Oldham was, in lots of respects, in Greater Manchester whilst somehow managing to remain in Lancashire...).

Maybe it's because by the time I was at "big" school I had friends in Manchester, because I worked in Manchester aged 17, because over many years since I've lived and worked in and around Manchester (as well as further afield), that I see myself as an Oldhamer but also as a Mancunian. I think Manchester is the finest city in this land.

However I can understand those for whom local tribalism is a stronger urge. Maybe their horizons in terms of where they've lived and worked are narrower. That's not intended as a put down, it's a simple fact that many people live and work their whole lives in and around the town and therefore inevitably feel a much stronger tie to it.

Bringing it back to the Failsworth project question, the basic fact that a sizeable number of Latics fans see the location of the site as an issue means that it is an issue, whether others agree with that argument or not. I honestly wonder whether, when the Boundary Park site was identified, there was as much concern about it being on the edge of Oldham, remembering that this was long before the concept of an Oldham 'Borough' and that Royton was seen as a separate village.

Back then, Oldham Athletic represented the town of Oldham. Today I think it's entirely valid to say that the club represents the borough of Oldham.

Yes, ideally - if we must move - I would prefer a more central site in the borough, but just complaining about the Failsworth site simply because it's adjacent to the boundary of Oldham borough in an area that some Oldhamers can't seem to accept as part of the borough is pretty meaningless. I believe there are valid arguments about the site location, and I very much see them on a football tribal basis - the proximity to Eastlands and therefore City's current/future fanbase heartland, and the even closer proximity to Newton Heath and therefore United's historical heartland. I think those two facts are far more important than any subjective pontifications about town/borough/city boundaries.

i was born in chadderton and spent the first few years of my life there but since then i've grown up and lived in manchester and probably always will.

there's never been any question about supporting oldham as all my family do / did and that's where i am originally from. but i've spent far more of my life now living in manchester than in oldham and as far as i'm concerned i'm a manc and i'm an oldham fan. manchester is a fantastic city that i love and am tremendously proud of. it has one football club i hate with a passion and another that i'm happy to see succeed, except when they are in our division.

i've never owned a gun though.

this thread is fascinating, keep it going haters!

I went to the COMS yesterday to watch City vs Liverpool. I came away with the same feelings for the home fans that I always have when I come away from there.

They are, in general, unwitty, uneducated and uncouth.

I couldn't count the amount of times I heard the words 'Scouse C**ts', and that was in a corporate section. Their bias and refusal to accept the referee's <mostly correct> decisions was laughable, and their knowledge of the rules of the game practically non-existant.

If anyone seriously believes our fans are the worst moaners in the country they've never been to COMS, because their abuse of their own players is shocking, and that's a team with a hell of a lot more to cheer than we have.

It only takes a 10 minute walk round Conran St Market to realise that the Mancunian public are no different from the football fans - the blatant selling of counterfeits, spitting and unnecessary language (Particularly from women) are real eye-openers.

I hate a huge amount of things about Oldham, but I'd rather live anywhere other than manchester. Almost all the gun crime, and a huge amount of violent disturbances in the town centre have been perpetrated by people from Moston, Salford (Yes I know it aint technically Manchester), and surrounding areas of Manchester, and Failsworth has become a Wild West town because of brainless mancunian thugs intent on ruining someone's night.

I'll summarise the average manc in just two words;

Liam Gallagher.

Re their fans though, is that all that much different to ours?

I suppose in the same sense you could say our fans are seriously fickle, as despite spending most of our history in the bottom two division of the football league, some of our fans are still living off the 'pinch me' seasons and truly do believe we are playing below our station at this level, despite the fact that without TTA subsidising the club to the tune of half a mill a year I would wager our budget would be an average League 2 budget (leeslover and Latics & England please feel free to correct me on this depending on what you see tomorrow).

Again alot of our fans have little to no understanding of the rules of the game, and the game in general. Whenever things go wrong the answer is always seemingyl bring <insert popular now retired player with little to no management experience> back. Much like newcastles fans reluctance to accept anyone as manager who is not a geordie, I would say there is a substantial segment of Latics fans who are unwilling to give a manager time unless they have existing ties to the club and have earned legend status in some form or another.

Many fans (especially in the main stand) sit in complete silence when the team are playing well, but are all to quick to jump on the players backs and shout a tirade of abuse, much of which is completely uncalled for.

Now going back to Ackeys point, I am in a similar camp to gannonspassmaster in that my affinity is to Oldham Athletic (2004) Association Football Club, not the town of Oldham. I will apologise in advance if this offends anyone but Oldham as a town is a place I truly despise, when people ask where I am from/where I live, I say i live on the South Oldham/ North Manchester border, and was born in Manchester.

It has no leisure facilities, no passion for sport of any kind, businesses are pulling out of the town left right and centre, it has a large population of selfish, ageing nimbys who are against change and progress of any kind, and we pay rates to a quote 'two star' council, the worst in Greater Manchester, inhabited by councilors with zero backbone and the vision of Stevie Wonder.

Manchester is far from perfect I know but I would personally much rather be associated with Manchester than Oldham any day of the week.

My pros and cons of Manchester

Pros

Brilliant music scene

Far better night out than any of the smaller satellite towns nearby

Great range of unique and independent shops

Vibrant city centre

One of the best public transport systems in Britain

Extensive choice when eating out

It's a hop, skip and a jump to the countryside in any direction.

People are genuinely friendlier than say for example, London.

A fairly easy-to-navigate city centre road network.

In easy reach of the capital via train.

Cons

Lack of green space in the city centre

Still plenty of grotty areas to regenerate

The 'one of the best public transport systems in Britain' has a massive bias towards the south of the city.

Two big football clubs; one who is genuinely huge and one who think they are.

Pug ugly building legacies from the Sixties and Seventies.

Ive worked in manchester for several years in the less 'salubrious' districts - Gorton, Hulme, Longsight, Openshaw, Beswick and Ancoats - altho many are ok folk, a lot of the natives are as said earlier in the thread - uncouth and lairy and aggressive. Add to it a heavy sprinkling of criminality, lack of any morality, chav mentality and total lack of culture wrapped in an obnoxious arrogance and you have your typical manc.

Dont get me wrong - I like a good day/night out in manc but its ruined by the mancunian scroats who lurk around the place.

A similar breed to those who inhabit the districts of Newton Heath, New Moston, Miles Platting and F******rth !!!! :ranting:

Tis impossible to seperate mancunian mentality from FAILsworth - they all piss in the same pot !

Ive worked in manchester for several years in the less 'salubrious' districts - Gorton, Hulme, Longsight, Openshaw, Beswick and Ancoats - altho many are ok folk, a lot of the natives are as said earlier in the thread - uncouth and lairy and aggressive. Add to it a heavy sprinkling of criminality, lack of any morality, chav mentality and total lack of culture wrapped in an obnoxious arrogance and you have your typical manc.

Dont get me wrong - I like a good day/night out in manc but its ruined by the mancunian scroats who lurk around the place.

A similar breed to those who inhabit the districts of Newton Heath, New Moston, Miles Platting and F******rth !!!! :ranting:

Tis impossible to seperate mancunian mentality from FAILsworth - they all piss in the same pot !

Obviously it's only anecdotal evidence. However I've lived in the Northern Quarter, Rusholme/Longsight, BBC area of the centre and then Failsworth and Sale further afield.

In my twenty-sum years I've only ever had 'trouble' a handful of times and all bar one of those occurred in Oldham town centre.

I think its all about blind loyalty!

I dont particularly like Manchester for shopping, nights out or anything really, but i feel that there are a few factors within many that feel that the club should stay in an OL postcode!

1) Selfishness, personally i dont want to move from what i has become a sanctuary for many, especially getting out of the missus way!

2) Accessibility, as above we get used to things and it would take some time to adapt to life in Failsworth. I lived 2 minutes from the ground and now i live in Shaw, i feel that a pain in the arse! (or just lazyitis!)

3) Identity, we are Oldham, a lot of fans feel as though things could change with regards the club name or Oldham the town be ignored in favour of the new surrounding areas.

4) Commerce, lets face it Citeh and Manure fans are everywhere, that will never change, but the fact that we would be moving to a Citeh hotbed makes it so much harder to create a new fanbase with more commercial sales.

Im sure i will think of more when my kids go to sleep, but for now that'll do.

BLUE MIST, what a to$$er you are, there are good and bad parts of all those towns just the same as parts of Oldham. You've gone OTT and your bl00dy Rochdale!

although i`m oldham born and bred...... for over twenty years i`ve kept close with several friends in failsworth .......and i`ve met many friends of there`s from the nearby area/s , woodhouses/moston/newton heath/miles platting....etc.........and in my humble experience, geography aside, as the cliche goes, they are no different to you or me ........it`s true !!

but you would be very hard pushed to find one of them who even remotely thinks of themselves as anything other than `mancunian`.

example : whilst we in oldham go `up town` ie: into oldham town centre........they as failsworth/mancunians go `into town` ie: into manchester....it`s just the way it is.....it`s a fact.

it`s a whole different mindset just past where the owd roxy used to be.......the accent difference and culture change within a fifty yard stretch of when hollinwood turns into `failswurf` is living proof of it!!!.

as far as the majority of folk i`ve met there are concerned, they are from failswurf in manchestaw.... `end of` for them.

it is this little bell which most latics fans can clearly hear at some level of consciousness......and given the above, it just isn`t ringing right regarding the proposed stadium move.

although i`m oldham born and bred...... for over twenty years i`ve kept close with several friends in failsworth .......and i`ve met many friends of there`s from the nearby area/s , woodhouses/moston/newton heath/miles platting....etc.........and in my humble experience, geography aside, as the cliche goes, they are no different to you or me ........it`s true !!

but you would be very hard pushed to find one of them who even remotely thinks of themselves as anything other than `mancunian`.

example : whilst we in oldham go `up town` ie: into oldham town centre........they as failsworth/mancunians go `into town` ie: into manchester....it`s just the way it is.....it`s a fact.

it`s a whole different mindset just past where the owd roxy used to be.......the accent difference and culture change within a fifty yard stretch of when hollinwood turns into `failswurf` is living proof of it!!!.

as far as the majority of folk i`ve met there are concerned, they are from failswurf in manchestaw.... `end of` for them.

it is this little bell which most latics fans can clearly hear at some level of consciousness......and given the above, it just isn`t ringing right regarding the proposed stadium move.

Good post!