Why Don't You Like Manchester?

and some foundationless and worthless claims about gun crime.

Lad shot in the ex - Irish club on Horsedge st by man from Salford.

Lad shot on Block Lane by known Swinton gang. Police struggling to pull enough evidence together (Police source).

There are others.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, so far, we have:

"Because we're supposed to"

"Their accents"

"The City/United fans"

"I hate everywhere" (Thanks Z, useful as always! :wink: )

"it's not Oldham"

"They are, in general, unwitty, uneducated and uncouth."

"selling of counterfeits, spitting and unnecessary language (Particularly from women)"

"Liam Gallagher."

and some foundationless and worthless claims about gun crime.

Keep 'um coming.

This is eerily reminiscent of Lancy Lad's Penney Out thread. Stick that in your pipe, Mr. Liberal.

Lad shot on Block Lane by known Swinton gang. Police struggling to pull enough evidence together (Police source).

There are others.

So Oldham's not in Manchester but Swinton is?

Good thread (for those that understand it's intended purpose :wink: )

I haven't got any problem with Manchester or Mancunians.

I :censored: hate Plastic Mancs, especially the 'proud' ones, tossers.

I once turned up to a piss-up in Manchester to find a mate of mine, Stalybridge/Mottram born and bred, stood wearing a ghastly T-shirt with "MANC" emblazened across it. I stripped it from the fat bastard's back and consequently got a load of grief of my other mates, also proud 'mancs' from places such as Rochdale, Royton, Ashton and Saddleworth. :lol:

It's seen as a fashionable place to be from, largely due to the football and cult music scene I imagine, and bandwagon jumpers just get up my nose in general. Many also purport to be Mancs to somehow try and justify being reds.

Tim Lovejoy set up channelbee, a good website that gave a name to the stereotypical manc previosly seen on Soccer AM, played by Fenners.

He was Tony Maloney, look him up on you tube.

Enough of gun crime etc, lets lighten up a bit!

If the link doesn't work can someone make it please, ta.

let me rephrase that,as you have completely taken that quote out of text.

I was being flippant, sorry. But the basic point - perhaps not yours, but one I've encountered - is that many simply will not accept anything that's not distinctly - in their mind - in Oldham. What I call a "small town" mentality.

There are others.

This is such a ludicrous argument against Manchester that I'm not even going to begin debating it. It'd be never ending.

I was being flippant, sorry. But the basic point - perhaps not yours, but one I've encountered - is that many simply will not accept anything that's not distinctly - in their mind - in Oldham. What I call a "small town" mentality.

I don't understand your flippant tone towards the idea that Oldham Athletic should play in the town of Oldham. For me its a very reasonable argument.

If the club was to move out of Oldham then there is a real danger the association it shares with the town will be broken, leading the way for a Milton Keynes style name change. The idea of changing the clubs name was discussed at board level if certain respected posters are to be believe so this worry can not be simply dismissed I feel. Manchester North End mark 2 ?

Someone also made a very good point made about the new location proximity to both Old Trafford and the council house which I think you have missed.

One of the idea suggested for moving to Failsworth is the possibility that we could pick up new fans. Given the points above, there is a counter argument that in fact we could lose fans and with the average Failsworth resident not wanting nothing to do with "Oldham" (although we could argue the truths about that all day), the chances of new fans coming on board is very questionable.

You can focus and laugh you'r tits off at the silly accent arguments being put forward but the reasons why some Latics fans fear moving to the Failsworth area are very real ones that should be taken more seriously.

Unfortunately, instead of all pulling together and worrying about what's best for the club, the one up manship rules...as usual...

Edited by oafc0000

This is such a ludicrous argument against Manchester that I'm not even going to begin debating it. It'd be never ending.

Here is a map of greater manchester shootings in the past 10 years.

http://www.newsmapping.com/manchester.howmanymore.html

It shows Manchester has a problem with gun crime.

I am going to rank this at number 1 in my list of most pointless posts.

Manchester is the capital of the North and most of the countries best musics been coming out of there for nearly 4 decades and I have no problem whatsoever with this great city but Oldham is my own town and I don't want the club to move from where it is now and chance losing its identity like Wimbledon did to become MK DONS <_<

Oldham is just like most places on this tiny island that's overpopulated but i'm not having this 'not feeling proud' of your hometown stuff :ranting:

I no longer live in Oldham and haven't done for 30 odd years but i'm still an Oldhamer and very proud to let others know that when asked :wink:

I don't understand your flippant tone towards the idea that Oldham Athletic should play in the town of Oldham. For me its a very reasonable argument.

This returns us to the Failsworth-in-Oldham debate which I'm trying to avoid, hence the flippancy.

Here is a map of greater manchester shootings in the past 10 years.

http://www.newsmapping.com/manchester.howmanymore.html

It shows Manchester has a problem with gun crime.

I am going to rank this at number 1 in my list of most pointless posts.

Especially as it appears to me there were more in Oldham than Failsworth... :wink:

This returns us to the Failsworth-in-Oldham debate which I'm trying to avoid, hence the flippancy.

You are trying to avoid discussing the points at hand. Instead you are trying to turn it into a flippant discussion about why we all hate mancs with your loaded agenda which you will then use as some sort of tool to bash up the anti Failsworth people. Transparent my friend and ultimately it offers nothing constructive and will help in no way to moving this whole debate forward.

It just comes down to....oh how silly you are for disliking Manchester folk... That is the outcome for this thread...

Edited by oafc0000

Good thread (for those that understand it's intended purpose :wink: )

I haven't got any problem with Manchester or Mancunians.

I :censored: hate Plastic Mancs, especially the 'proud' ones, tossers.

I once turned up to a piss-up in Manchester to find a mate of mine, Stalybridge/Mottram born and bred, stood wearing a ghastly T-shirt with "MANC" emblazened across it. I stripped it from the fat bastard's back and consequently got a load of grief of my other mates, also proud 'mancs' from places such as Rochdale, Royton, Ashton and Saddleworth. :lol:

It's seen as a fashionable place to be from, largely due to the football and cult music scene I imagine, and bandwagon jumpers just get up my nose in general. Many also purport to be Mancs to somehow try and justify being reds.

Well said.

You are trying to avoid discussing the points at hand. Instead you are trying to turn it into a flippant discussion about why we all hate mancs with your loaded agenda which you will then use as some sort of tool to bash up the anti moving to Failsworth people. Transparent my friend and ultimately it offers nothing constructive and will help in no way to moving this whole debate forward.

I have no intention to "bash" the anti-Failsworth brigade and openly welcome constructive debate on the proposed move. I do not take blind faith in anything, I am a sceptic at heart and I will always investigate a matter before taking a stance. Once a stance has been taken I will happily change that stance should the evidence or situation suggest I was incorrect in my first approach.

However, OWTB is awash with thread after thread about the Oldham/not Oldham nature of Failsworth and I wish to avoid going over old ground. The reason people don't like the move might be that they don't want to move to Failsworth as they consider it to be Manchester and not Oldham.

If they give this as their reason for opposing the move I don't agree but I accept. However I want to know why those out there who don't like Manchester don't like Manchester, consider it a separate matter to the move entirely if that helps you accept it as a stand-alone point.

If this move to Failsworth had happened in say 1985, which would have given us 3 1/2 seasons of relative mediocrity, before pinch me years. Would Latics have collected up as many fairweather fans from the surrounding Oldham area's during the cup runs 1989/90 and subsequent promotion the following season. The type's who claimed in the our minds they kinda followed Latics scores or read the Chron's reports right through to the one's that were closet reds and sky blues? Or would they have lost the only identity they had with Latics, that being they lived in Oldham or just across the way in Rochdale borders.

Edited by Lags

My take on this is that I've no strong feelings about Manchester to either its people or its city centre, its just that I don’t consider myself a Mancunian anymore than I do a Yorkshire man or a cockney. I believe that Oldham has its own unique heritage, culture and history, which includes it proud football club.

On the wider issue of moving to Failsworth, to have our football club move out of the town, a stones throw away from COMS and thus into solid Citeh territory concerns me greatly.

A good debate this Ackey although this is perhaps a generic question as opposed to one for the terraces?

I personally cannot understand the hatred towards Manchester especially when sung by some sections of the crowd. Historically it could be said that Oldham could owe its boom years with being in such close proximity to Manchester and the advent of the Industrial Revolution and the cotton boom. Oldham and Oldhamers should embrace their connection and proximity to Manchester which is one of the great Cities of the world when you consider the developments in technology made there and also some of the people born in the city, Manchester also has a great history of popular culture with music, literature and comedy all benefitting.

Fair enough it has its problems and no go areas but many cities of a similar size also have this, lets face it Oldham, isn't exactly utopia and has more than its fair share problems. The gun crime referred to is limited to the gangs in the main. I'd much rather go into Manchester on a Saturday night than Oldham as I feel much safer there.

Neither Oldham or Manchester is perfect and each place has their own number of undesirables but Manchester is a city most certainly on the rise, perhaps there is an element of jealousy, especially if people are stuck in a run down mill town. Manchester may suffer from the worst of what the North West has to offer but conversely it also benefit from the best which the area and neighbouring towns of Bury, Rochdale, Bolton, Stockport etc has to offer.

Ideally I would love the club to stay at Boundary Park but I simply do not get the I hate Manchester/Mancs thing it just seems like small mindedness to me. I don't even get the I hate Man U and City Too song or Stand up if you hate Man U. We should focus more time on liking Oldham/Oldham Athletic and enbrace the best that Manchester has to offer us Yonners. After all...if you can't beat them join them? Just a thought.

I don't have problems with mancs, most of my family are mancs, like most people i just hate the plastic ones. For me my dislike all comes for football reasons. The amount of times i had to sit and watch united sink us (Wembley, Main Road etc...) Watching so many lads from oldham support utd or citeh just because its the easier choice, the amount of moaning city fans do is just beyond belief, the fact most man utd fans i've ever met have hardly ever stepped foot inside the ground yet they claim to be loyal fans. I could go on but you catch my drift, i just like the thought that Oldham while yes is a bit of a dive is independant from all that and moving us Into/Closer:) to Manchester we're losing some of our identity.

Also one thought that never escapes me if this new ground we're to be be built slap bang in the middle of oldham i'm pretty sure fans and boardroom would all be on the same page pretty much just leaving the people who are so fond of boundary park that no new ground would be good enough.

I think I've earned enough goodwill on this site over the last three years to show this is not an attempt at fishing.

I would like to hear from those who oppose the Failsworth moved based on it being "in Manchester" and why the Manchester factor is the sticking point.

I don't care about "we're Oldham we should be in Oldham" as that's an explanation in itself, I want to know why people who consider themselves Oldhamers hate those who they consider Mancs.

Please be constructive and not gratuitously inflammatory, ta.

tribalism. people from one town don't/pretend they don't like people from the next town.

simple.

have you seriously never come across this phenomenon before?

are you going to start a new job any time soon? :grin:

Edited by dfOAFC