3G synthetic pitches?

Just watching Crusaders and Glenavon on sky sports 1 at the moment which is being played on a synthetic pitch which got me thinking should we start introducing these in to the football league?

No these are very different to the astro turf pitches that we had in the late 80's early 90's you can fall over without taking skin of your legs yet they are much smoother than most of the grass pitches you get in the football league currently which will means that you can play a better passing game on them and it might discourage the big hoof ball merchants that we see up and down the football league and ofcouse they protect better against the elements. Their are alot of them available at amateur level and I have played on plenty at 5 and 11 a side level wouldn't cost much to bring them in either.

Discuss?

Edited by GlossopLatic

Just watching Crusaders and Glenavon on sky sports 1 at the moment which is being played on a synthetic pitch which got me thinking should we start introducing these in to the football league?

No these are very different to the astro turf pitches that we had in the late 80's early 90's you can fall over without taking skin of your legs yet they are much smoother than most of the grass pitches you get in the football league currently which will means that you can play a better passing game on them and it might discourage the big hoof ball merchants that we see up and down the football league and ofcouse they protect better against the elements. Their are alot of them available at amateur level and I have played on plenty at 5 and 11 a side level wouldn't cost much to bring them in either.

Discuss?

I'm a great lover of "Football should be played on grass", although I do agree with you that they are a massive improvement on the previous 'plastic' - the run of the ball is much smoother - albeit still a bit quick - though i think that's definately me now :grin:

Keep the grass in football - not the drug - would be my campaign though I think Glossop

A few clubs in Russia use them too, which makes perfect sense given we've seen what happens to grass pitches when we have prolonged periods of pretty awful weather. Which also adds weight to an arguement for them in the Football League.

The plastic we had was a clear advantage. Yep, I know we had the "we can play on grass as well" songs, but some teams that came to BP back in those days were like boys against men, purely because it required a lot of extra skill to play football on it and many teams simply got sussed right out. We had a team of players back then, especially from 1989 to 1991 who were perfectly natural at fast-paced, high-tempo passing football. The new synthetic pitches play much more like grass so it makes sense to consider these.

That said, I'm a bit of a traditionalist and quite like grass pitches.

I'm a great lover of "Football should be played on grass", although I do agree with you that they are a massive improvement on the previous 'plastic' - the run of the ball is much smoother - albeit still a bit quick - though i think that's definately me now :grin:

Keep the grass in football - not the drug - would be my campaign though I think Glossop

I think as they are much more similar to grass than the old style plastic pitches they should be considered what it does is minimise the chances of the ball bobbling on the ground and encourages more skillful play. I don't know though how that will effect clubs such as Wycombe and Huddersfield who have rugby on their pitches though.

I think as they are much more similar to grass than the old style plastic pitches they should be considered what it does is minimise the chances of the ball bobbling on the ground and encourages more skillful play. I don't know though how that will effect clubs such as Wycombe and Huddersfield who have rugby on their pitches though.

Football has moved on far too much in other areas off the pitch - on the pitch - we must keep the bobble....... :wink:

Durham City play on one (their record this season is the worst in the league they've lost all their games), they aren't allowed to play at their ground in the FA cup as the FA say the pitches have to be grass- but it gets used for other sports I saw some Lacrosse or Hockey being played on it the other day. If I remember rightly England played Russia on one but at the same stadium 6 months later the Champions League final between PLC and Chelsea was played on grass as it was such an important game.

If the FA decide to let teams use them we have got to be considering it, however, consdering we are trying to get the new stadium used as a training base for the world cup (if successful) and personally I think we should be trying harder to get it used for other football (the Ladies have played a bit at Dale/Bury) or bigger RL games (such as internationals without GB/England) where I think there might be a market. Maybe we should be aiming to get undersoil heating at the new ground instead.

The surface down at Salford sports village is awesome, much better than Chapel Road and Royton & Crompton which I believe is first generation 3G.

The surface at Salford is more than adequate for League 1 football. The games I've played on there are a vast comparison to playing on grass.

If it improves the product we pay to see I'm all for it.

The surface down at Salford sports village is awesome, much better than Chapel Road and Royton & Crompton which I believe is first generation 3G.

The surface at Salford is more than adequate for League 1 football. The games I've played on there are a vast comparison to playing on grass.

If it improves the product we pay to see I'm all for it.

The new stadium (if it ever happens), would be ideal for a new synthetic surface, unlike the old days they are superb today.

Durham City play on one (their record this season is the worst in the league they've lost all their games), they aren't allowed to play at their ground in the FA cup as the FA say the pitches have to be grass- but it gets used for other sports I saw some Lacrosse or Hockey being played on it the other day. If I remember rightly England played Russia on one but at the same stadium 6 months later the Champions League final between PLC and Chelsea was played on grass as it was such an important game.

If the FA decide to let teams use them we have got to be considering it, however, consdering we are trying to get the new stadium used as a training base for the world cup (if successful) and personally I think we should be trying harder to get it used for other football (the Ladies have played a bit at Dale/Bury) or bigger RL games (such as internationals without GB/England) where I think there might be a market. Maybe we should be aiming to get undersoil heating at the new ground instead.

Just picking up on this, it reads as if implies that the 3G are offering no advantage and they have lost all their games on the ptich.

The FA ruled that Durham City could not play int he FA Cup or go any league higher. The sponsor withdrew and they lost all their best players, and have conceded 133 goals. But that is becasue they lost all their best players due to the A ruling rather than not playing any better on the pitch.

Though clearly they are not playing any better on the 3G pitch.

So it is the pitches fault, but not, if you see what I mean :grin:

The Stockport fans team have use of the Manchester Blue Soxx academy pitch, which is said to be about as good as 3G gets. It’s often been a great game there, both teams really do get the ball down and play with such a true surface. Part of me says that it would be preferable to the likes of that swamp at Colchester but on the other hand part of me says that teams should have to play the conditions.