Stockport Post Game Thread

Jim Gannon (not defo at posh next season due to his wife not wanting to move and fry interfering)

John Coleman - done wonders on f all budget at stanley, almost in the playoffs and played us off the park 2nd half in the jpt, they ATTACK!

Keith Hill - never know a bigger wage budget and future outlook re the stadium plans may interest him

Eddie Howe - again see coleman, good attacking team.

Plenty of options

But DP only has 1 more year on his contract, so whatever happens i think he should have a full year next year to show his worth, then if we do nothing or dont show promise off you go dave.

Also, Dean Holdsworth?

Just won the BSS with Newport, absolutely run away with it.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back and to be honest we were terrible. We won but putting it into perspective it was against a team who are bottom of the League and reduced to 10 men. In all honesty they probably deserved it more than us which is very worrying. I'm not a Penney outer by any stretch, he'll keep us up, i've said that all season, but how many will be left next season to see more of the same? We need to drastically improve or 3000 odd attendances will most definitely be the norm next season.

The result was important, but performance wise, we failed to keep possession and except for a small period in the second half we failed to make our extra man count against the worst side in the division. The positives were Guy look ok, at the least better than Parker (although that isn't all that difficult), Gregan was soliud again, Lee continued to look good at full back (would like to see him push on more though as he can clearly cross a ball), Black was ok, Eaves looked good when he came on. Apart from that, very little to shout about.

3 points were the important thing tonight and we got them.

But that performance was shocking I wouldn't of argued had Stockport won the game nevermind drew it, they had the best chances, 2 great saves from Flahavan and a header off the line by Gregan? (it looked like it was goin in but didn't have the best view so will let others decide) Very few chances by us, their keeper really should of saved the pen having got a good hand to it.

We couldn't pass the ball and that had nothing to do with the pitch as Stockport and in particular Perkins passed it easy enough. The forwards were pretty much isolated up front again, Taylor was awful didn't look interested Smalley was a bit better but still not good enough. Guy did well with the turn to get the penalty but apart from being cought offside time and time again didn't show much else.

Overall I thought we were very lucky to come away with the points tonight but i'll take it.

Fans reaction at full time said it all really.

A perfect summary, nava. If, as they should have, County had bagged one of their clear chances in the 1st, we would have lost 1-0. We didn't even look remotely like scoring against the 10 men of the relegated Sockport.

Eternally grateful for the 3 pts, but jeez that was a depressing display.

A scrappy game today, but it was always going to be with 2 teams fighting for their lives and the :censored:e pitch.

Happy with the 3 points and I am confident we are playing well enough at home to pick up the 4 wins which will take us over 50 points.

I can understand people not liking the manager but the Penney out chants are baffling me when things are picking up. IMO with Penney we have a chance to stay up, if we get rid of him and replace him with some ex Oldham love in like Ritchie it is likely to disrupt the team when they have begun to pick up points and we will be right back down there.

This isn't a happy clappy post saying Penney is our saviour, more of a plea for some patients and common sense from the fans while we are picking up points and edging towards safety.

Without getting into debate and counter debates - tonight was ALL about 3 points - I expected nothing more and was given no more - do i give 2 hoots? - not on your nellie. A massive 3 points imo, yes game was crap on a crap pitch in a crap atmosphere - 3 points!! that's what counts!!!

As for the chants towards the end and after the final whistle to DP - It's possibly the first time i'm ever ashamed to be associated with fellow 'Tics fans away from home - disgraceful!!

There is real momentum by a shameful minority of 'fans' who believe that chanting the song they did towards Penney after a VITAL 1-0 win is the best way of showing their support - frankly i'm disgusted by it.

Not a great performance but a required 3 points - that's what it's all about now until the end of the season. Opinion is good and should definately be encouraged, but to the detriment of the fellow fans, team and manager having to listen to that, then it's not on!!

If people can really justify those chants after a victory away from home against relegation fodder such as Stockport tonight, then you're expectations need to be re-visited.

That was truly horrible.

Up to the penalty and red card, Latics were second best.

After they were down to 10 men, Latics did very little to threaten them. Stockport are crap, make no mistake. They are a piss poor side who offer very little anywhere on the pitch. Yet Latics never looked like they had a one man advantage and never looked like they had any particular will to get the second goal and wrap it up.

Yes, take the points, move up the table etc etc etc - all very nice.

Isn't it strange. 8 points out of 12. A win tonight. But I feel at my lowest point ever when it comes to Oldham Athletic - and I am generally an optimistic person.

I cannot see where improvement is going to come from. How is this team going to score goals? When will the football be reasonably good to watch in most games, not just a tiny minority of matches?

I am a believer in giving a manager time to build his squad and get the best out of his players. But tonight? What did DP bring to the show tactically against the 10 men representing the division's worst team? Absolutely nothing.

Taking off a forward for a midfielder, when Stockport were there for the taking?

Replacing the only decent striker at the club with an 18 year old?

Absolutely no evidence of a tactic to exploit the one man advantage and make the game safe.

It was a truly shocking performance from players and manager. A win is 3 points, however it comes. But how the hell can the new marketing guy successfully sell the product on show tonight? How can TTA seriously expect the missing fans to return while that sort of performance? How can Dave Penney go home and look himself in the mirror after that?

A good three points tonight and that's all that matters. Well done DP, keep grinding out results against the dross and we'll be fine and then rebuild in the summer.

I watched a manager tonight, with his side down to ten men, take off their only centre forward for a defender and take off their best player from the first half (who this week was named Football League Young Player of the Year) for a bloke who was deemed to be pretty gash when he played for us earlier in the season. When they inevitably fell behind he continued to play ten men behind the ball, and then with time running out withdrew the club's top scorer and only deadball threat. There's no way DP's as bad as that.

Without getting into debate and counter debates - tonight was ALL about 3 points - I expected nothing more and was given no more - do i give 2 hoots? - not on your nellie. A massive 3 points imo, yes game was crap on a crap pitch in a crap atmosphere - 3 points!! that's what counts!!!

As for the chants towards the end and after the final whistle to DP - It's possibly the first time i'm ever ashamed to be associated with fellow 'Tics fans away from home - disgraceful!!

There is real momentum by a shameful minority of 'fans' who believe that chanting the song they did towards Penney after a VITAL 1-0 win is the best way of showing their support - frankly i'm disgusted by it.

Not a great performance but a required 3 points - that's what it's all about now until the end of the season. Opinion is good and should definately be encouraged, but to the detriment of the fellow fans, team and manager having to listen to that, then it's not on!!

If people can really justify those chants after a victory away from home against relegation fodder such as Stockport tonight, then you're expectations need to be re-vis

just got back from stockport,we set off from chadd 12 of us in a mini bus,7 of them 12 left the game with 30mins to play to go back to the pub,this game was the biggest load of :censored:,not one shot on goal all the game when stockport had 3 maybe 4 clearcut chanches,as everyone was singing, get out of our club,get out of our club,you sh*t yorkshire bast*rd get out of our club,what a joke tonight was regardless of 3 points,it just keeps that clown at the helm longer

There where calls by some posters during the weekend (LaticPete comes to mind) that you won't be taken seriously with your Penney out chants unless you did it after a win as well as after draws / defeats...

Oh yeah, here it is...

I'd have more respect for those that sing anti-Penney if they did it when we were winning .

He's obviously alright then.

Not saying I support it (although I will always support fans having a say) but that was the request... So what disgusts you was asked for by some on here...

Edited by oafc0000

A good three points tonight and that's all that matters. Well done DP, keep grinding out results against the dross and we'll be fine and then rebuild in the summer.

I watched a manager tonight, with his side down to ten men, take off their only centre forward for a defender and take off their best player from the first half (who this week was named Football League Young Player of the Year) for a bloke who was deemed to be pretty gash when he played for us earlier in the season. When they inevitably fell behind he continued to play ten men behind the ball, and then with time running out withdrew the club's top scorer and only deadball threat. There's no way DP's as bad as that.

Don't think he has the ability to rebuild in the summer. He's signed :censored:e. It's now March and he has no idea who his strongest side is. He dropped 3 of his signings tonight, 1 completely. Hardly surprising we have no settled side when the majority of our squad aren't good enough for this league, most of which were signed by Penney.

That was awful tonight, I've NEVER known the fans so pissed off despite winning the game. He may get us out of trouble this season but whoever he signs we'll be in the same position next year. Oh and Guy's injured, shortly before being subbed he signalled to the bench. Taylor is feckin' clueless! Furman poor, poor player. As for taking Pav off.............

Never known the fans so pissed off? Have a word OP...they were singing in the first 10 minutes! It's any pathetic excuse...it's a case of, "I'll be the leader...sheep like mates follow"...it's like children at school. And "as for taking Pav off"...he was garbage tonight. Yeah, scored a penalty, noted...but honestly, he didn't warrant staying on. Eaves came on and held the ball up far more in the short space of time he was on than Pav did all game. I'm not slating Pav here....he's allowed off days after the good season he's had but he's not untouchable...that was a :censored: performance by him (as it was others...Taylor, my god, that was diabolical) and I'm glad Penney had the balls to sub him! Just glad also that you saw what I did when Guy signalled to the bench. Be ridiculous and typical of the :censored: Penney's had to put up with if it's yet another bloody long term injury!

Edited by boundaryblue80

He's signed :censored:e.

I'm not so sure he did.

I think he signed players that he's been unable to mould / motivate in to a half decent team. Which, unfortunately, is his job.

Jacobson - half decent, not allowed to overlap - is that the player or the manager?

Furman - reports say he's half decent - I've seen moments - not allowed to get forward, or choosing not to?

Abbott - got a touch of quality - not got a decent strike partner.

:censored: - seems a good player to me whenever he plays.

Brill - has showns how bad he can be, but has also shown character to bounce back.

Parker - has quality, doesn't have the interest to use it, which from a fan's perspective is the worst crime of all.

Then there is Worthington who as a player looks good to me, as a team player I'm not sure how he fits with Penney's system. Holdsworth who was bursting in to opposition boxes and winning a couple of penalties early in the season. The mysterious Purdie. Goodwin's looked ok. Price looked ok. Nardiello looked ok. The new lad last night won the game by ensuring he got fouled.

For me the two key things are:

1) Get Abbott a worthy strike partner.

2) Go after the opposition more, because when we do we look good - let the players progress up the pitch more and we might score more.

If Penney doesn't want to do those things, then TTA should replace him.

Edited by opinions4u

I'm not so sure he did.

I think he signed players that he's been unable to mould / motivate in to a half decent team. Which, unfortunately, is his job.

Jacobson - half decent, not allowed to overlap - is that the player or the manager?

Furman - reports say he's half decent - I've seen moments - not allowed to get forward, or choosing not to?

Abbott - got a touch of quality - not got a decent strike partner.

:censored: - seems a good player to me whenever he plays.

Brill - has showns how bad he can be, but has also shown character to bounce back.

Parker - has quality, doesn't have the interest to use it, which from a fan's perspective is the worst crime of all.

Then there is Worthington who as a player looks good to me, as a team player I'm not sure how he fits with Penney's system. Holdsworth who was bursting in to opposition boxes and winning a couple of penalties early in the season. The mysterious Purdie. Goodwin's looked ok. Price looked ok. Nardiello looked ok. The new lad last night won the game by ensuring he got fouled.

For me the two key things are:

1) Get Abbott a worthy strike partner.

2) Go after the opposition more, because when we do we look good - let the players progress up the pitch more and we might score more.

If Penney doesn't want to do those things, then TTA should replace him.

You seem to have missed the £60k we spent on Joe Colbeck.

I've said it before. Safety this season is just delaying the inevitable.

With less support (Less income), and the same 'tactician' in charge next season, can someone please tell me why I should expect things to be any different to this season?

Let's face it, we WILL lose season ticket sales, and our playing budget has got to suffer, so how will we entice signings to a club with low wages, a terrible track record under their current manager, and a rapidly deserting fanbase?

Next season could be MUCH worse, and we may not keep getting penalties to rescue us from the relegation zone.

As quite a few have stated, on paper we have a side capable of doing much, much better, but for some reason don't appear to be led by positive tactics or motivation. If that is the case, and the current squad are under achieving due to the way they are managed, then there really is no other logical solution than to change the gaffer.

DP has definitely suffered some bad luck this season, but let's not allow that to mask some shocking tactics and dire performances. Even at full strength, he wouldn't have taken the side higher than 15th - which is poor considering his similar budget to last season.

I tried to keep faith with DP, I really did, but we haven't improved, and I fear for my team if we go into next season with the same man in charge.

3 points were the important thing tonight and we got them.

But that performance was shocking I wouldn't of argued had Stockport won the game nevermind drew it, they had the best chances, 2 great saves from Flahavan and a header off the line by Gregan? (it looked like it was goin in but didn't have the best view so will let others decide) Very few chances by us, their keeper really should of saved the pen having got a good hand to it.

We couldn't pass the ball and that had nothing to do with the pitch as Stockport and in particular Perkins passed it easy enough. The forwards were pretty much isolated up front again, Taylor was awful didn't look interested Smalley was a bit better but still not good enough. Guy did well with the turn to get the penalty but apart from being cought offside time and time again didn't show much else.

Overall I thought we were very lucky to come away with the points tonight but i'll take it.

Fans reaction at full time said it all really.

We won UGLY - but we won - that'll do me at the moment. :wink:

On that pitch .. and at this stage of the season 3 points is the same wether its a great game to watch or not.

I would agree, three points is what matters at this stage to the club and fans - however it's not what matters to the fans who are considering whether they renew their tickets next year or not.

It has been horrendously boring all season so bad I have seen the most ardent of fans walk away, and know of others who just no matter how long they have supported the club are definately not renewing next year, if we are lucky they will at least pick and choose some of the games to attend but much more of what's been served this year and there'll be hardly anyone left.

It really is sad to see and experience.

For those that question whether things can get any better under Dave Penny next season - I would imagine that supporters of other teams that had bad seasons before the manager 'got it right' felt the same.

Lets be frank, this season has not been good. I wouldn't claim otherwise (I suspect DP feels likewise).

With the recent improvement in results DP is looking unlikely to "take us down" as many on here stated. Also it looks as though we may survive more easily than in previous seasons in this division, but people on this thread have said "its the worst team they have ever seen".

Also, whilst the football is not free-flowing, overlapping fullbacks, all out attack - it is not long ball 'hoof' football that we have seen under some recent management regimes. There are genuine attempts to pass the ball on the floor and build from the back, and in some of the recent home games the ability to keep posession and move it round the park looking for an opening has been encouraging.

However, and I have written this before, the vocal element of the crowd have taken against DP and I doubt he will ever turn it round in their eyes. TTA will pander to the 'fans' and get rid to maintain as many STs as possible and we will start again. We will then probably watch him be successful elsewhere.

And, unless a 'fans favourite', the new manager will get no time at all before the cries of "he'll take us down", "tactically inept", "worst team I have ever seen" will be heard and read.

And who would want to come? I can see the queue forming now down Sheepfoot lane as potential mananger see the "opporunity" to go to a falling down stadium, with poor negative crowds, where you are hounded out of your position by the "supporters" before you have had chance to really make the changes you wanted to.

People on here talk about wanting to give up on Latics at the moment, and have never felt that way. I am not there yet, but it is the growing nature of our fans not the team that would make me feel like that.

I have watched, and will watch awful football as a football fan - I accept that as part of 'being a supporter'. Listening to chants about going to your managers funeral.....not sure I can accept being part of that community.

Edited by Scapegoat

i was there last night just a couple of question tho, anyone know how many we took?? also i went before the end of the game what was the reaction at the final whistle..was the plenty of booing or something like that?? :shock:

941 away fans I believe.

As for booing. You have to ask?

i was there last night just a couple of question tho, anyone know how many we took?? also i went before the end of the game what was the reaction at the final whistle..was the plenty of booing or something like that?? :shock:

yes there was some booing at ft,i agree with everyone else it was boring,the defence did ok lee the pick of the bunch but after that nothing,the midfield was dire and up top didnt set the world on fire

For those that question whether things can get any better under Dave Penny next season - I would imagine that supporters of other teams that had bad seasons before the manager 'got it right' felt the same.

Lets be frank, this season has not been good. I wouldn't claim otherwise (I suspect DP feels likewise).

With the recent improvement in results DP is looking unlikely to "take us down" as many on here stated. Also it looks as though we may survive more easily than in previous seasons in this division, but people on this thread have said "its the worst team they have ever seen".

Also, whilst the football is not free-flowing, overlapping fullbacks, all out attack - it is not long ball 'hoof' football that we have seen under some recent management regimes. There are genuine attempts to pass the ball on the floor and build from the back, and in some of the recent home games the ability to keep posession and move it round the park looking for an opening has been encouraging.

However, and I have written this before, the vocal element of the crowd have taken against DP and I doubt he will ever turn it round in their eyes. TTA will pander to the 'fans' and get rid to maintain as many STs as possible and we will start again. We will then probably watch him be successful elsewhere.

And, unless a 'fans favourite', the new manager will get no time at all before the cries of "he'll take us down", "tactically inept", "worst team I have ever seen" will be heard and read.

And who would want to come? I can see the queue forming now down Sheepfoot lane as potential mananger see the "opporunity" to go to a falling down stadium, with poor negative crowds, where you are hounded out of your position by the "supporters" before you have had chance to really make the changes you wanted to.

People on here talk about wanting to give up on Latics at the moment, and have never felt that way. I am not there yet, but it is the growing nature of our fans not the team that would make me feel like that.

I have watched, and will watch awful football as a football fan - I accept that as part of 'being a supporter'. Listening to chants about going to your managers funeral.....not sure I can accept being part of that community.

The words 'great post' can be overused.....This however, imho, is a GREAT post.

Sums it all up for me also.

Didn't go but the game ended 1-0 to us with the bottom team losing. Hardly surprising really and the type of win we need if we're going to stay up. As for Penney, yeah he may be crap but I don't see the point of getting rid of him when all we will be able to replace him with is similar and we will probably have a smaller budget next year as a result. Hopefully with a bit more experience of L1 under his belt, he will adapt and build.