Bad wins

Like most Latics, I didn't feel particularly elated coming away from Stockport last night, even though we won. It made me think of other terrible games that we have won. I'm struggling to beat last night but how about:

Mansfield away 1-0 when Fitz Hall scored a last minute pen and Eyres got sent off

Birmingham at home mid 90s- we won 4-0 (!) and Francis scored 2 oown goals. Great result but an awful match

any others?

Like most Latics, I didn't feel particularly elated coming away from Stockport last night, even though we won. It made me think of other terrible games that we have won. I'm struggling to beat last night but how about:

Mansfield away 1-0 when Fitz Hall scored a last minute pen and Eyres got sent off

Birmingham at home mid 90s- we won 4-0 (!) and Francis scored 2 oown goals. Great result but an awful match

any others?

Three sending offs and an 88th minute penalty winner (and a big Dowie fist pump at the end)...that was a brilliant game.

They had some proper Uncle Nobheads knocking about as well. I enjoyed it. Fitz Hall, cool as.

Mansfield was a football match it was a war. Great game and atmosphere even if the football was brilliant

The locals all thought Comet was mecca as well (u had to be there but god it was funny)

Mansfield was a football match it was a war. Great game and atmosphere even if the football was brilliant

The locals all thought Comet was mecca as well (u had to be there but god it was funny)

Maybe my memory of the Mansfield match is tainted by my wife sitting next to me cold and bored wanting to leave after about 60 minutes! Wasn't a great game but like watching Brazil compared to last night.

They had some proper Uncle Nobheads knocking about as well. I enjoyed it. Fitz Hall, cool as.

Aye, I remember too that rather than keep the Latics fans in the stand after the final whistle the police decided to let them out the stand, but keep them fenced in in the car park allowing us to be targeted by missiles from the locals. Great policing.

My other memory of that day was at half time, when a group of children from Chernobyl were brought onto the pitch, the PA announcer claiming that they were in Mansfield for two weeks on the 'trip of a lifetime'. Really hits you how bad the fall-out was from the disaster when a trip to Mansfield is the best thing that's going to happen to you...

any others?

Considering our position (referring to last night and this season), I would take a 'bad win' and 3 points any time rather than playing well and coming back with nothing.

I didnt come on here last night as I would have ended up posting something I regretted,

Last night was awful and taking off a striker for a defensive mid against 10 man bottom of the league really annoyed me,

but this morning I feel it was 3 points and we got the job done and lets move on from here

Stoke FACR Jan '94 W1-0

Stoke FLC Dec '94 W1-0

are two that immediately spring to mind

I was at both of those. The league game was dreadful for sure but the Cup game most memorable for the electric atmosphere and Beckford's goal. I can't even remember what the game was like!

Last night there wasn't even an atmosphere to speak of, it was like a reserve game.

Aye, I remember too that rather than keep the Latics fans in the stand after the final whistle the police decided to let them out the stand, but keep them fenced in in the car park allowing us to be targeted by missiles from the locals. Great policing.

My other memory of that day was at half time, when a group of children from Chernobyl were brought onto the pitch, the PA announcer claiming that they were in Mansfield for two weeks on the 'trip of a lifetime'. Really hits you how bad the fall-out was from the disaster when a trip to Mansfield is the best thing that's going to happen to you...

i remember the locals all wearing denim jackets,huge weird looking blokes baying for our blood after the game.

I was at both of those. The league game was dreadful for sure but the Cup game most memorable for the electric atmosphere and Beckford's goal. I can't even remember what the game was like!

Last night there wasn't even an atmosphere to speak of, it was like a reserve game.

They battered us for 90 mins in the cup game, Toddy hit the bar in the first minute, The Bears goal was our only effort all night! Awesome atmosphere though that night - the Victoria Ground really was a cauldron of noise.

The league game, the announcer was just announcing Paul Gerrard as MOM, when Muggleton miskicked then slipped on his arse and McCarthy rolled in a very generous winner!

Yeah, the Mansfield game was a good 'un. It was like being in Europe after the match - crazy scenes.

Notts.Co around 97? We won 1-0, scored it really early in the game - it was like the Alamo for the rest of the match.

Jan '99 Mardon got a manky winner...the vital win came a week after we gave Chelsea a fright, before Vialli showed his class...

Edited by oafcprozac