Latics invite to kidnap boy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hilarious.

Woof.

It's not hilarious at all, it's a sad indictment of todays society and a :censored:e state of affairs. I'd rather the little boy not bother coming to BP at the request of the club, although it is a nice gesture and at least the clubs heart is in the right place for once. However it won't end up so good on Sky or BBC or whichever newspaper cares to carry the story, it'll be another own goal for the town and the club. We all know that if this or similar songs where sung from the terraces it would show to the country what a miserable, bigoted and clueless town it is. All thanks to a few dozen idiots who think it's funny to sing those songs.

I think this protentially could be a PR disaster for the club. Hopefully the family get treated in a manner which is a credit to Oldham Athletic.

If they do come I think EVERYONE has to do their bit if anyone makes a scene. There will be a few who would be delighted to see the worst headlines imaginable about it but it would make our town the pits of England across the national media.

You do wonder....this area isn't exactly a utopia of racial harmony.

It isn't, but it would be a shame if something like this couldn't work because a few people had an agenda and didn't mind using a 5 year old boy for it. It's the first time in years I've seen Oldham mentioned in the national news, people have been asking me about it and it's a bit of a feelgood story all round, something the town has precious little of.

Incidentally, I thought that song was funny on here and didn't cause me any offence at all, it would of course be right out of place if actually sung at the ground.

We might see - depends how big his family is. :lol:

One could be a little cynical about this - the club jumping on a good news story bandwagon and all that - but I'm certain the intent is genuine and based in generosity.

his mum cant come on saturday, she is working at iceland on overtime. :lol:

You do wonder....this area isn't exactly a utopia of racial harmony.

Regardless of any of that if people can't see the positives of an 11 year old kid that was feared to be in serious bother being found safe and well then they're thick, People perception of the bigger picture's irrelevant

Regardless of any of that if people can't see the positives of an 11 year old kid that was feared to be in serious bother being found safe and well then they're thick, People perception of the bigger picture's irrelevant

I think there's a bit of an overreaction on here about this. I'd be amazed if anything untoward was chanted, or shouted out.

As LL says - this is the first feelgood story about Oldham in years and fair play to the club for trying to get in on it.

If the kid turns up (sorry) I'd fully expect a standing ovation. Especially if we get him in a Latics shirt.

Personally, I'd have him leading the team out.

I think there's a bit of an overreaction on here about this. I'd be amazed if anything untoward was chanted, or shouted out.

As LL says - this is the first feelgood story about Oldham in years and fair play to the club for trying to get in on it.

If the kid turns up (sorry) I'd fully expect a standing ovation. Especially if we get him in a Latics shirt.

Personally, I'd have him leading the team out.

How much do you wanna bet?

I doubt they'll show up. Not this Saturday at any rate. I really can't see what it's gonna do anyway to be honest. It won't pull any more crowd in for that match or matches to come. Does anyone know if this family have ever had a thought for the club at all...ever? I hear you saying it's a feel good story and I agree, for the family and people around the country who are happy for them, but will they think OAFC what a great feel good story? No I don't think so.

It isn't, but it would be a shame if something like this couldn't work because a few people had an agenda and didn't mind using a 5 year old boy for it. It's the first time in years I've seen Oldham mentioned in the national news, people have been asking me about it and it's a bit of a feelgood story all round, something the town has precious little of.

Incidentally, I thought that song was funny on here and didn't cause me any offence at all, it would of course be right out of place if actually sung at the ground.

''It's nice to know you're here, it's nice to know you're here, it's nice to know you're here.......''

It wouldn't surprise you, would it....

Edited by Yard Dog

Obviously. But obviously some people will use even this situation to revel in the town's notoriety...

The boy is safe and well and i'm as pleased as anyone, it's just a bit of lighthearted humour.....No harm meant at all.

Perhaps. But its not how its meant, its how its percieved.

Onto the main topic - I think its nice that the club have made a gesture to the boy and his family - and the idea of offerring him the chance to lead the team out is a great one.

However I would fully expect that this offer is graciously turned down unless the boy/family are already Latics fans.