Kieran Lee

Kieran Lee, Would you give him a new contract?  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give him a new contract?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on which League we are in Next Season

No. Might be unrealistic, but I want promotion next year - to achieve that we need a better calibre of right back than him. Somebody who gets forward more.

he's dying to get forward at every opportunity .... ludicrous post.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's dying to get forward at every opportunity .... ludicrous post.

He probably is dying to get forward, but he isn't allowed. On Tuesday night when we were chasing the game and he had been put at left back, he played a ball to Taylor and started bombing forward to support him. He took a look over to the bench and immediately dropped back. I think the problem with our fullbacks not overlapping is not the fullbacks fault, I really do think they are told to stay back by the manager.

I'm fairly sure that we only gave him a two year deal when we signed him for United, which means that his contract would be over in the summer. I've always rated him and thought it's been a shame that he's never been played in his favoured central midfield position. Now he's had a fairly decent run in the team, albeit at RB, what do most people think - good enough to secure a new deal?

No brainer - he is a tidy player and is getting better as the season progresses - definitely worth a new contract. :wink:

So who do we build our team round next season?

To me that is a bit of a worry.

If Penney is still here, I think he can tweak and build, and I'd give him till Nov.

GK Brill. MArmite. People either rate or hate.

RB Lee

CB Gregan Obviosuly player of the season foreveryone, but would next season be a season too far him? A la Ledge Mr Pointy? Maybe time for another Captain, based in midfield?

CB Hazell Our soft goals have been a concern for several seasons

CM Stephens

CM Purdie ? Unkown

RW Taylor ? Big drop in form this season

CF Abbott.

Subs

EAves

Millar

Black

A couple of the other seem to be wory blooding next season.

Not much else.

SO we need some key signings IMHO.

I liked the look of Guy yesterday and would love to have him here permanently.

Hazell has been poor recently - very much a confidence player - would not want him to be first choice cb next season.

He probably is dying to get forward, but he isn't allowed. On Tuesday night when we were chasing the game and he had been put at left back, he played a ball to Taylor and started bombing forward to support him. He took a look over to the bench and immediately dropped back. I think the problem with our fullbacks not overlapping is not the fullbacks fault, I really do think they are told to stay back by the manager.

Where did he play at Wycombe away before Xmas, was he on the right wing, I seem to remember him hogging the right wing making some good runs, something I would like to see him doing more of, by Penney telling him not to make the runs down the wing we are removing a chance to attack, disappointing imo.

Isn't it funny, this poll would have had a completely different look about it, had it been asked before christmas.

Glad to finally see Lee given a run of games. He's an intelligent footballer, who can run, pass and tackle - qualities which make the basics of many a good lower league footballer, yet so many lack at least 1 of those aforementioned criteria.

His best position? Not sure! Probably the reason why he hasn't really had many 1st team games in his career. Certainly looks comfortable enough at full back for me and given the right circumstances, could prove dangerous going forward. For me, he's not an out and out centre midfielder, although again, he does have the qualities (though not totally sure on energy levels yet?) to make a decent midfielder. A wide midfielder - not for me.

But well done DP - injury dictating probably - on giving this guy a run in the team (Shez never would!) On that note, praise for giving Stephens and Millar a run also - brave, but good choices.

Difficult one for me this.

Firstly I don't think he is a midfield player in a million years, too lightweight and too small.

He has done alright at RB and is certainly better than Lomax (but thats not saying much) although he was skinned alive twice at Hartlepool and again at home to Norwich which all led to goals being conceded.

He has however looked better at RB in recent games.

I'd probably offer him another year on reduced terms as cover at RB for next season and hope to bring someone better in.

Id like us make a move for Ritchie Jones in the summer, as Keiran and Jones played in the same youth set up at Utd, and i think would play really well together.

Jones isnt happy at Hartlepool, and potentially a very decent player at this level.

As I see ourselves (budgetwise) fighting to stay up next season or fighting for playoffs at League Two level (should we go down, not that I think we will) then Lee is definitely one to keep. As for higher end League One...we don't know how he'd perform. Possibly never will with the way the club is being run now.

Edited by boundaryblue80

that was what i was getting at. the post b4 said he isnt attacking enough. Penneys use of fullbacks this season has been atrocious

Difficult one for me this.

Firstly I don't think he is a midfield player in a million years, too lightweight and too small.

He has done alright at RB and is certainly better than Lomax (but thats not saying much) although he was skinned alive twice at Hartlepool and again at home to Norwich which all led to goals being conceded.

He has however looked better at RB in recent games.

I'd probably offer him another year on reduced terms as cover at RB for next season and hope to bring someone better in.

wasnt "skinned" against norwich ... he was caught to far upfield as the ball was slid down the inside left position.

No. Might be unrealistic, but I want promotion next year - to achieve that we need a better calibre of right back than him. Somebody who gets forward more.

Where from? :wink:

Granted I've seen very little of his rejuvenation over the past couple of months. Based on what I saw earlier this season, I'd definitely keep him on if we're in League Two, but I'd be unsure about keeping him in League One. As I say, I haven't seen much of him lately - he was a very promising signing and I'd be as happy as anyone if he's now justifying himself at League One level.

Yes, he's shown himself to be a useful utility player, who at worst can fill in and reduce the need for loan signings, and at best can perform decently in two different positions. And he still has time to develop. I'd offer him another year.

What he said

I think he's one of our mid to higher earners, I wouldn't keep him as that, maybe on reduced terms. He still doesn't convince me he fancies being a lower league footballer.

I wouldnt imagine hes earning half of what the main senior players are due to the fact both Sheridan and Penney didnt want him near the first team until recently and were/are always referring to him as a kid with potential who needs to get his head down and work hard. I hardly think he will be earning big bucks. Hes been 1 of our better players this season and should be given a deal definately.

I dont like what some Latics fans think, some genuinely dont seem to know a right lot about football. First Neal Eardley gets abuse every week and we make a small fortune on him and now Kieran Lee is deemed not good enough. We are hardly going to sign Glen Johnson, and their are a lot of other positions which require attention before that right back slot

I wouldnt imagine hes earning half of what the main senior players are due to the fact both Sheridan and Penney didnt want him near the first team until recently and were/are always referring to him as a kid with potential who needs to get his head down and work hard. I hardly think he will be earning big bucks. Hes been 1 of our better players this season and should be given a deal definately.

I dont like what some Latics fans think, some genuinely dont seem to know a right lot about football. First Neal Eardley gets abuse every week and we make a small fortune on him and now Kieran Lee is deemed not good enough. We are hardly going to sign Glen Johnson, and their are a lot of other positions which require attention before that right back slot

Oh no we didn't - we got dry bummed in the transfer market again. Worth at least double what we got for him...

Oh no we didn't - we got dry bummed in the transfer market again. Worth at least double what we got for him...

Well still we made 200k on a player deemed useless by a majority of the Latics faithful. I also disagree with the Worthington post, hes been injured to much to get a good run. Beginning of season when he was fit he was one of our key players. I think people should be looking at Whittaker and Taylor for poor form and lack of effort tbh. I dont know why but people seem to be scared of saying Taylor has been atrocious this season and was and still is far to overrated.

If we made double Eardleys fee on Taylor this summer I would be shocked.

I'm a better right back.