Grand National

Seeing as i have a pretty poor record in finding the national winner..i'll take any help or advice that's going.

My initial fancy is for snowy morning but i'm open to suggestions.

Haven't really considered it yet but Mon Mome must be one of the favourites after winning it last year and after that Gold Cup run.

Haven't really considered it yet but Mon Mome must be one of the favourites after winning it last year and after that Gold Cup run.

Mon Mome, although with only 7lbs more than last years National win and his decent run in the Gold cup (although I think he largely just ran through beaten horses at the end).

The biggest problem maybe the ground for him if as it looks like it maybe soft with all the recent rain, he is a much better horse on good ground.

I will be having a much closer look at the race later in the week when I see the state of the ground (not much point beforehand) and will post up when I have.

Mon Mome, although with only 7lbs more than last years National win and his decent run in the Gold cup (although I think he largely just ran through beaten horses at the end).

The biggest problem maybe the ground for him if as it looks like it maybe soft with all the recent rain, he is a much better horse on good ground.

I will be having a much closer look at the race later in the week when I see the state of the ground (not much point beforehand) and will post up when I have.

you're right, the going could have a large bearing on the chances of certain horses, also the jockeys have still to decide their choice of ride yet.

Probably posted the thread a bit prematurely.

Having now seen the state of the ground, which is listed as generally Good to Soft.

I have had a close look at the form and I'm going to back The Package Each Way, he is currently 16/1 with William Hill (I would advise taking the price as it will almost certainly start at shorter odds than that).

He is a young (only a 7 year old) up and coming staying chaser, who I think is still on a decent handicap mark.

The ground will be fine for him, he stays well as his fast finishing second last time up the Cheltenham hill proves, he has never fallen over fences so will hopefully get round safely and is generally a good jumper.

He has never raced over the National fences so is something of an unknown there, but he ticks enough of the boxes for me and at currently 16/1 he will do Each way for me.

Good luck if you have a bet.

Where's Jimi_T these days?

Here Stevie! Nice to know I'm remembered!

I'm just finishing me research before going out so will post me selection, for what it's worth, tomorrow. Based on my Cheltenham (and today's) form though, I wouldn't hold yer breath.

Having now seen the state of the ground, which is listed as generally Good to Soft.

I have had a close look at the form and I'm going to back The Package Each Way, he is currently 16/1 with William Hill (I would advise taking the price as it will almost certainly start at shorter odds than that).

He is a young (only a 7 year old) up and coming staying chaser, who I think is still on a decent handicap mark.

The ground will be fine for him, he stays well as his fast finishing second last time up the Cheltenham hill proves, he has never fallen over fences so will hopefully get round safely and is generally a good jumper.

He has never raced over the National fences so is something of an unknown there, but he ticks enough of the boxes for me and at currently 16/1 he will do Each way for me.

Good luck if you have a bet.

Cheers for the info, i'm gonna make my decision tomorrow i think......been looking at vic venturi but just the weight concerns me.

Here Stevie! Nice to know I'm remembered!

I'm just finishing me research before going out so will post me selection, for what it's worth, tomorrow. Based on my Cheltenham (and today's) form though, I wouldn't hold yer breath.

Nice to know you're still about, Jimi.

I quite fancy COMPLY or Die after the run at Cheltenham, made the running/up with the leaders for 3miles( 3 and 1/2 mile race) and the jockey downed tools when other horses past him at the bottom of the hill, I know hes got a big weight but won the race 2 years ago and finished 2nd last year the grounds drying out according to David Pipe so at best price 20/1 not bad eachway.

Seeing as i have a pretty poor record in finding the national winner..i'll take any help or advice that's going.

My initial fancy is for snowy morning but i'm open to suggestions.

I quite fancy Snowy Morning.

Decent form, weight and age and has made it round a couple of times before.

I just drew Snowy Mountain in the office sweep, so expect to see a vet putting a tent up around it at the second jump.

I quite fancy COMPLY or Die after the run at Cheltenham, made the running/up with the leaders for 3miles( 3 and 1/2 mile race) and the jockey downed tools when other horses past him at the bottom of the hill, I know hes got a big weight but won the race 2 years ago and finished 2nd last year the grounds drying out according to David Pipe so at best price 20/1 not bad eachway.

I feel obliged to back it again after it gave me £150 a couple of years back and then tried hard last year, will also have a bit on the Package and black apalachy

I feel obliged to back it again after it gave me £150 a couple of years back and then tried hard last year, will also have a bit on the Package and black apalachy

Too old and too much weight for me to part with my money but got to be in with a chance given its history. I've got a few quid on Snowy Morning and State of Play.

For the Grand National, I like a horse that has won over 3m5 or further, that is aged 8, 9 or 10, last ran between 20 and 50 days ago, isn’t French (Mon Mome the first for 100+ years) and that has placed in a field of over 20 runners. Nothing has won carrying more than 11 stone 1 since 1983 and that’s the main consideration.

This leaves me with two;

Niche Market although it is carrying 11 stone 4, Harry Skelton takes 3lb off. It won the Irish National last year, was an excellent third to Denman in the Hennessey Gold Cup (of the previous 10 winners of the Grand National, 7 have been won or been placed in a National, 2 of the other 3 made the first five in the Hennessey) and was the horse that got Denman off the bridle in the Aon Chase (but finally got collared by Tricky Trickster). I feel the extra distance here and good ground will suit and a repeat of his Hennessey running could see him go very close.

Arbor Supreme. Good low weight and in good form. Has won over 3m6 so stamina shouldn’t be a problem. Ticks all the boxes for me.

I think Mon Mome will get round, but is no value considering the record of previous winners and Big Fella Thanks is no price at all for a horse that has only ran over 3 and a half miles once.

Of the others, Snowy Morning should go close and The Package is interesting but 7 year olds have a dreadful record.

Best of luck everyone.

Can't believe I put that, complete falsehood. I made a note he took 3 lbs off lto, and confused myself and put it here, apologies.

Edited by JimiT

For the Grand National, I like a horse that has won over 3m5 or further, that is aged 8, 9 or 10, last ran between 20 and 50 days ago, isn’t French (Mon Mome the first for 100+ years) and that has placed in a field of over 20 runners. Nothing has won carrying more than 11 stone 1 since 1983 and that’s the main consideration.

This leaves me with two;

Niche Market although it is carrying 11 stone 4, Harry Skelton takes 3lb off. It won the Irish National last year, was an excellent third to Denman in the Hennessey Gold Cup (of the previous 10 winners of the Grand National, 7 have been won or been placed in a National, 2 of the other 3 made the first five in the Hennessey) and was the horse that got Denman off the bridle in the Aon Chase (but finally got collared by Tricky Trickster). I feel the extra distance here and good ground will suit and a repeat of his Hennessey running could see him go very close.

And the colours of said horses silks..............Blue and Tangerine......I'm on...

Madison Du Berlais @ 66/1 e/w

Snowy Morning @ 14/1 e/w- given that slip to the missus

Character Building @ 16/1 e/w - given that slip to me little lad

Maljimar @ 33/1 e/w

Just a nugget e/w on 'em all.

ALSO, 2 quid on Oldham to win 3-1 at 20/2 and a tenner on a little treble of Oldham, Exeter and Celtic.

Edited by Yard Dog