Huddersfield Post Game Thread

Think it was 589, really cant fault that performance tonight full of effort, we actually had a go at them and made them look second best, well done to penney for trying a new formation and putting players in there correct position!!!! I can accept defeat when we put in 90 minutes of graft, just wish we had been doing that every game this season.

spot on....i dont mind a defeat when we perform like that......more of the same saturday an we,ll steam roller em....well done to all the boys tonite......

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from the game and first of all I must say sorry to you Latics fans!

Your team were magnificent tonight and you still got nothing! Such is football! They played football way way above their league position. They totally out-passed us, bossed midfield and they were first to virtually every ball. Our manager, Lee Clark was absolutely correct when he commented that his smile at the end was a smile of embarrassment. Enough said! Good luck Oldham, you certainly don't deserve to lose your League One status. Far from it! :unsure:

Think it was 589, really cant fault that performance tonight full of effort, we actually had a go at them and made them look second best, well done to penney for trying a new formation and putting players in there correct position!!!! I can accept defeat when we put in 90 minutes of graft, just wish we had been doing that every game this season.

agree completely. when lee went off lomax started warming up and i thought the worst but he actually went for it and tried gettin the goal instead of goin defensive. one or two of the subs were questionable although the right players came on just at the wrong time. but we went for it and got caught on the break cant complain at that and can't complain with the performance. more of the same and we might just have a chance

So we'll steam roller um etc on Saturday .... without scoring?

lets see who's on here at 6pm Saturday gloating.......

ps

In all honesty I think Oldham can count themselves unlucky tonight because they probably were the better team.

(Lee Clarkes comments tonight)

agree completely. when lee went off lomax started warming up and i thought the worst but he actually went for it and tried gettin the goal instead of goin defensive. one or two of the subs were questionable although the right players came on just at the wrong time. but we went for it and got caught on the break cant complain at that and can't complain with the performance. more of the same and we might just have a chance

the away following was 598, yes wasn't sure about taking abbot off but to be fair he did look knackered, the only change i would have made earlier was perhaps to bring worthington for furman (just to see if he performed against is old club) but no real criticism of penney tonight and also will say despite the low turnout i thought our fans were great,

14000 something, 600 ish from oldham.

Played the best I've seen us play in the first half. Good passing. Creative. Battling and desperately unlucky not to score. Then we lose one to more shoddy defending from hazell. Second half pretty much a non event until near the end when lee was sent off harshly. I only remember him making two fouls all game and he got booked for both of them. A lot of pressure from us at the end but not really looking like scoring then they score on the break. Surely taking Abbott off for Colbeck can't have been a tactical substitution. Was he injured?

Think thats a bit harsh on Hazell, headed away only for the ball to strike one of our players on the back.

Edited by davewattuk

So we'll steam roller um etc on Saturday .... without scoring?

We created chances tonight, we just didn't finish them. Anyone having a go at the team or Dave Penney tonight either wasn't there or doesn't have a :censored:ing clue, they were superb in the first half. In fact I would say that if we produced that consistently we would be where Hudders are, just a shame we've done it maybe twice all season.

Before their goal, Abbott missed a one on one and hit the bar with a header, Hazell headed a decent chance straight at the keeper and Whits curled one onto the roof of the net, meanwhile they'd done absolutely nothing. It was sickening when they went ahead, especially with the goal they scored. Low cross to the near post that Hazell headed away under very little pressure and it hit Stephens on the back and went clean through for their striker, gutted. We played one and two touch for much of the half and looked confortable in possession but it wasn't just keep ball, we actually had some purpose about us.

Second half the game changed. Them going ahead allowed them to settle a bit and slow the tempo making it much more difficult to get at them and that resulted in us finding it hard to create chances. We still passed well but they were sitting back and soaking it up and looking better in posession themselves without really threatening. It got more difficult after the sending off, which was an atrocious decision by the way. I think Lee made 2 fouls in the entire game and both got him bookings. The first was a bit cynical and I would say was just about a yellow although you see refs let them go plenty of times. The second was never a booking, ridiculous decision. Eaves had a chance at the end but that was about it in the second half until they stole a second goal on the break.

The players looked totally gutted at the final whistle and to be honest I was as well, more so than any game this season because we dominated it and deserved all 3 points in truth. I've said all season we won't get relegated, we still won't get relegated.

the away following was 598, yes wasn't sure about taking abbot off but to be fair he did look knackered, the only change i would have made earlier was perhaps to bring worthington for furman (just to see if he performed against is old club) but no real criticism of penney tonight and also will say despite the low turnout i thought our fans were great,

I don't think I would ever consider bringing Worthington on, especially when :censored: is there as well. Penney made the right substitions, just a little surprised by the order as we had no width for a few minutes with both Eaves and Abbott and no Taylor until Colbeck came on.

Just back from the game and first of all I must say sorry to you Latics fans!

Your team were magnificent tonight and you still got nothing! Such is football! They played football way way above their league position. They totally out-passed us, bossed midfield and they were first to virtually every ball. Our manager, Lee Clark was absolutely correct when he commented that his smile at the end was a smile of embarrassment. Enough said! Good luck Oldham, you certainly don't deserve to lose your League One status. Far from it! :unsure:

thanks. and i think your right. the players had a go and showed they wanted to win. we passed superbly at times and spread it out well. the tactics were spot on - lomax for lee on saturday and keep it the same. whits was allowed to attack and played well with furman and stephens behind him. noone had a bad game. lee unlucky to see red, only two bad challenges he did got him bookings at times where the ref had to control things.

all the players were devastated at the end, especially gregan. nice to see trotman applaud our fans and some other huddersfield players. the latics support was great by the way. we may have lost but ive enjoyed my evening becuase we played some really good stuff and on a different day, it would have easily finished 3-0 latics.

I don't think I would ever consider bringing Worthington on, especially when :censored: is there as well. Penney made the right substitions, just a little surprised by the order as we had no width for a few minutes with both Eaves and Abbott and no Taylor until Colbeck came on.

just thought furman faded badly in the 2nd half, i didnt realise :censored: was on the bench until he came on i was still convinced it was smalley until the PA announced it

We played well, unlucky not to score but if you don't take your chances against the better sides more often than not you lose. Didn't expect anything out the game but in the end we were unlucky not to win. Hopefully we can play as well in some of our remaining games and get the points we need.

Another Town fan here,

Thought you were one of the best teams i've seen down at the 'Pharm this season and that includes Norwich. While we were awful I don't want to take any of the credit away from you. The only thing that your team is missing is a decent striker or two. You kept the ball well and if you'd of swapped our from 2 for yours, you would have won 3 or 4 nill tonight. That was the difference. Play like that and you'll be fine.

Good luck for the rest of the season, and I hope you stay up. We need more Northen clubs in this league.

just thought furman faded badly in the 2nd half, i didnt realise :censored: was on the bench until he came on i was still convinced it was smalley until the PA announced it

best we have played all season but really got to take our chances few as they are, we played some great stuff and not said this in ages but,so unlucky tonite ,point is can we do it for rest of season a mention to all latics fans great support tonite lets give em same support saturday ,we allmoan and groan on here and at match,but one thing is we all care about olham athletic so come on lads and lasses lets show some top support till they really did us proud tonite

Having heard so many comments over the last 48 hours that we were going to get mullered, I actually thought that we would get something from the game tonight.

The Gayfarm is a big and wide pitch and DP's change to 4-5-1 (how long did it take Gordon and Roy to work that out - 20 minutes I am informed) saw us using Guy's pace down the right and Taylors reacquainting of the touchline giving Town problems across the whole pitch. Stephens and Furman sat behind Whittaker who had the licence to push on, support Abbott and pressurise anything that moved between Town's centre halves and midfield. The result was 7 attempts on goal with 3 on target. Abbott saw 1 come back off the bar, whilst Whittaker went close with a curler towards the top corner and Rubes had a couple of headers from set peices 1 in particlular that you would expect a little more from, condiering his recent efforts and record.

Town's 1st goal was 1 of those "I don't believe it" moments. Solid all 1st half (Town only had the 1 effort and of course they scored from it) a headed clearance from Rubes struck the back of one of his teammates and fell kindly for Robinson who was then free to pick his spot.

Second half, Town came out slightly re-organised, which I took as a compliment, and tried to stop us playing. Clarke made a couple of subs and went 4-5-1 to match us up in the middle of the park.

Keiron Lee was then sent off for 2 yellows. They miust have been his 1st 2 fouls in professional football. Both very soft and apart from Towns keeper geting a yellow for time wasting late on were the only cards of the night. Literally 2 fouls all night from KL, both soft and no words of warning from the ref, who was particularly lenient with Town, particularly when Abbott was Scythed down in the 1st half and the blatant dive by the left winger in the 2nd half. But hey, when your down there these things tend to go against you

The sending off saw DP stop his 1st sub and re-assess for a couple of minutes, but then he decided to send Eaves on anyway and go for it. The Town fans were becoming anxious and you could see that with the pressure we were starting to exert again that they could see us drawing level. Eaves scewed a good chance badly across goal and then we got hit on the break for the late late second.

Tonight was for me at least by far our best and MOST ENTERTAINING performance of the season. We were free flowing, confident and tactically superior to Huddersfield. I'd like to see more of the same Saturday please, but with the narrower BP pitch and Bristol likely to be less expansive than Town were tonight, it is IMO unlikely.

The occasional glimpses that we saw of the potential of the side earlier in the season were all there tonight for basically the 90 minutes and with the exception of the goalscoring department all at the same time. Thats defensively, across the middle of the park and the general play going forward, especially in the 1st half. With the ability that we have in the squad, as shown tonight (and don't forget that 7 of the starting 11 were in the squad last season although admittedly Black Lee and Stephens hardly played) we are in reality only a decent 2nd striker off being a top half side capable of challenging. Interestingly, with fewer injuries and generally a more settled side, we are starting to be that better team.

The standard has been set. Can we match and maintain it?

Bring on Saturday.

P.S. Nice to see us spread out across the whole pitch when we got the ball, with some crisp 1 and 2 touch passing movements.

Fantastic first half. Very astute tactically by mr penney :mmm: :mmm: taylor and particularly guy early on really stretched the game giving space for the midfield 3 to dominate (first time that has been said all season). Ruuubes shud hav done a lot better although was being held, and pav didnt quite get the the elevation (well "didnt quite" is giving him too much credit tbh!) but the idea was a good one. Taylor was showing some of the grit, desire and blue blood that made him the player he was prior to this season and a few things were coming off for him but confidence is evidently still an issue. Whittaker in particulary was influencing the game and wasnt being picked up, but again needs the confidence a goal will bring.

Sucker punch goal basically killed the match as it was as we werent set up for chasing the game. The tactics were dominating a team 6th in the table but when push came to shove we still hadnt scored and were becoming berefit of any ideas as the early second period wore on. A change of formation or personal (preferably both) was needed to get something from the game, and once again it seems that penney is the only one not seeing this, the early dominance was wiped out and we were going sideways, it was like watching Kevin Maher in his prime.

Penney gets 9/10 for 1st half and 2/10 for 2nd. We were 1-0 down yet he was happy watching Pav forage alone up top. Fair enough we were the better side and even got praise from the Yorkshires BUT in the end we have no points and goals, penetration and attacking intent once again were lacking from dave penneys latics. Let the full backs out of their shackles and get yourself or Mr Gregan to rally the troops into looking like they want the victory and have pride in the clubs badge, I'm simply not seeing this. Is it all down to Penney or should the players stand up and be counted ??

The story of our season is not 'no luck in front of goal'.

Okay what would you say it was Mike? What have been the other variables in your opinion?

It would certainly be a something that can be measured and can be coached. Luck or fortune or chance or whatever you want to call an unpredictable event, isn't.

I'd say shot accuracy, anticipation, technique, determination, off the ball running, their first touch, to name but a few.

Harry's report is an excellent summary.

Latics deserved a win from tonight and if Huddersfield are a "top" side in this league it wouldn't take much in the way of coaching and confidence to have this set of Latics players competing at the right end of the table. Overlay a real strike partner for Pav and a bit more delivery from wide and you have a decent team.

Dale Stephens was magnificent in midfield. Whitaker was excellent first half. Taylor was good first half. A combination of Penney's changes and Clark's changes at half time meant that we went from total dominance in the first 45 minutes to adequate control in the second.

I thought Lee's second foul was a booking. The first one wasn't in a million years and for the referee to find a red card in the match was unbelievable. We were still the better side with 10 men.

Here's the criticisms:

1) Whitaker playing in the hole first half with Guy on the right worked superbly well. Why the hell did Whitaker get pushed wide at half time?

2) The substitutions were made too late ... because we made Whitaker a non-person second half we were never going to score and that needed changing sooner.

3) Furman's second half performance was very disappointing.

4) Eaves' miss was a real shame. Keep getting in those positions Tom, becasue in the next few games you will probably bag a couple that will save this side from relegation.

Play like that for the next 6 games and we'll bag 10-12 points.

Edited by opinions4u

cheers for the summaries guys,

I just know this season is killing my passion for the club, I have been gayfarm for the last 5 years and just had no desire to go last night, I didn't even look at the score till 75+ minutes,

:disappointed:

sign of the times

Thanks for the match summaries guys & gals.

Bit like Razza; having been to the Gayfarm plenty of times before and with how this season has gone in general; I just didn't fancy the trip across to watch us 'get pummelled' as I thought we would.

The reports all sound really positive; and even though the result didn't come; It's actually pretty good to read that the performance was there.

I've said for a while that whilst I'm worried; I don't see us going down & I still stand by that; basically because there are 4 worse sides than ourselves in this league.

If last nights performance can be carried into the next few games; then we just might see a few points being picked up that should see us safe (hopefully!)

The difficulty will be for DP and his team to pick up the players; as a few have mentioned they looked visibly dejected and knackered at the final whistle; understandably so if they played well without anything to show for it. Big few days around the club now in getting the lads nice & 'up for the game on Saturday; but encouraging stuff from last night; not least the return to some sort of performance from Taylor.

Can't agree with what Town fans have posted on here, just because we were crap doesn't mean that you played well. You had a great spell for the first 15-20 minutes, then did you have a shot after?

I also don't see what you did to warrant winning the game; I don't think that we deserved to win the game, and I think the fair outcome would have been an underwhelming 0-0 draw.

Thought the ref was appauling for both sides, a fantastic display of jobsworthing.

...You had a great spell for the first 15-20 minutes, then did you have a shot after?...

Hey! we actually scored two goals after that!...BUT I didn't say we played well, far from it, in fact I agreed with Lee Clark who said it was one of our worst home performances since he became manager! Your lads were like Brazil in patches and that's no patronising exaggeration, they really were that good. I just can't believe you're in such a :censored:e League position.

Hey! we actually scored two goals after that!...BUT I didn't say we played well, far from it, in fact I agreed with Lee Clark who said it was one of our worst home performances since he became manager! Your lads were like Brazil in patches and that's no patronising exaggeration, they really were that good. I just can't believe you're in such a :censored:e League position.

:hooked: