Latics' new webmaster

Can't be any worse than that last webmaster. Spelling and grammar mistakes all over the articles and a lack of information on away tickets. Not really surprised they got rid, but I thought Latics would have checked that the guy they hired had a G.C.S.E in English first.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Can't be any worse than that last webmaster. Spelling and grammar mistakes all over the articles and a lack of information on away tickets. Not really surprised they got rid, but I thought Latics would have checked that the guy they hired had a G.C.S.E in English first.

I do have a GCSE, thanks for checking though. I sense you don't like me, have we met (answer via PM, lets keep this on topic)?

Pizza, I left a long time ago now mate, Tony's been doing it ever since, and whilst I totally accept his journalistic skills are far better than mine (he's been doing it for 20+ years and I did it for less than six months) I'd dispute he's improved other areas. There's still a lack of information at times (see Ressie game this week) and the photo gallery is a mess.

But that just sounds bitter, I suppose.

I do have a GCSE, thanks for checking though. I sense you don't like me, have we met (answer via PM, lets keep this on topic)?

Pizza, I left a long time ago now mate, Tony's been doing it ever since, and whilst I totally accept his journalistic skills are far better than mine (he's been doing it for 20+ years and I did it for less than six months) I'd dispute he's improved other areas. There's still a lack of information at times (see Ressie game this week) and the photo gallery is a mess.

But that just sounds bitter, I suppose.

Nothing personal. I just didn't think you did a very good job, an opinion I know is reflected by a few other people and perhaps the club, considering their decision to bring a professional in.

Either way, I doubt any webmaster in the near future will be able to meet the high standard we became accustomed to under Stu Vose's management of the site. Effort, dedication and ability that guy had in abundance. As well as the well written articles, swift interviews, frequent content and information updates; it's just the little things, like having a gallery for every match, using a fresh photo from that game for the thumbnails on the site of the match report and Latics World interviews, that made the site seem more active, more up to date. Rather than using rehashed images as thumbnails for every match report and Latics World interviews.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Nothing personal. I just didn't think you did a very good job, an opinion I know is reflected by a few other people and perhaps the club, considering their decision to bring a professional in.

Either way, I doubt any webmaster in the near future will be able to meet the high standard we became accustomed to under Stu Vose's management of the site. Effort, dedication and ability that guy had in abundance. As well as the well written articles, swift interviews, frequent content and information updates; it's just the little things, like having a gallery for every match, using a fresh photo from that game for the thumbnails on the site of the match report and Latics World interviews, that made the site seem more active, more up to date. Rather than using rehashed images as thumbnails for every match report and Latics World interviews.

Some fair comments, some I would dispute.

First, Stu as you say set an exceptional standard. I endeavoured to live up to that standard but feel I was expected to do so from day one, with no training as Stu had already left and no one else knew how to do things. Almost everything I learnt at Latics I taught myself, despite the best efforts of Gordy. I would spend hours at home on my own time 'playing' in Adobe to learn how to edit video in a more cohesive manner. I would write and rewrite articles to improve their construction and pace. I would spend my only day off, Sunday, writing up interviews for Monday and editing the Player interviews that had to be uploaded from home, as they would not work at BP.

Interview uploads were limited by the lack of effective broadband at the club. Something which was addressed as I left after months of me working daily with eSource to improve things (something I did in addition to all the 'journalist' activities).

The gallery is updated as best can be, I (and the club still do) rely on volunteer photographers meaning photo's were often limited, despite the best efforts of those volunteers, especially for away games... right now the gallery hasn't been updated since I left, in January.

I was updating the site with a minimum of 5 articles a day and met the Perform directive of 4 video's a week by ensuring that there were at a minimum of 6 videos a week and often 7.

As you may sense, there's some pent up feelings here. I apologise for venting. Fact remains I know I did my best, often working 60+ hours a week for the club I love and for people like yourself to be so dismissive of that effort is, frankly, upsetting.

First, Stu as you say set an exceptional standard. I endeavoured to live up to that standard but feel I was expected to do so from day one, with no training as Stu had already left and no one else knew how to do things. Almost everything I learnt at Latics I taught myself, despite the best efforts of Gordy. I would spend hours at home on my own time 'playing' in Adobe to learn how to edit video in a more cohesive manner. I would write and rewrite articles to improve their construction and pace. I would spend my only day off, Sunday, writing up interviews for Monday and editing the Player interviews that had to be uploaded from home, as they would not work at BP.

Interview uploads were limited by the lack of effective broadband at the club. Something which was addressed as I left after months of me working daily with eSource to improve things (something I did in addition to all the 'journalist' activities).

The gallery is updated as best can be, I (and the club still do) rely on volunteer photographers meaning photo's were often limited, despite the best efforts of those volunteers, especially for away games... right now the gallery hasn't been updated since I left, in January.

I was updating the site with a minimum of 5 articles a day and met the Perform directive of 4 video's a week by ensuring that there were at a minimum of 6 videos a week and often 7.

As you may sense, there's some pent up feelings here. I apologise for venting. Fact remains I know I did my best, often working 60+ hours a week for the club I love and for people like yourself to be so dismissive of that effort is, frankly, upsetting.

Ackey,

The general tone on here is not imo having a go at you. As has been pointed out and as you say yourself. Following Stu was going to be difficult for almost anyone, because once people have been used to a standard they expect it all the time. It's like dropping from the Premiership to league 1. People are bound to find the standard no longer up to their expectations. For most that's not a criticism but a fact of life.

Most know the time and effort you put in during your time at the club and what you do for owtb.

Don't take it to heart as BBRM states " it's just the little things" and these can only improve with time and experience as I am sure TB is finding out.

Ackey,

The general tone on here is not imo having a go at you. As has been pointed out and as you say yourself. Following Stu was going to be difficult for almost anyone, because once people have been used to a standard they expect it all the time. It's like dropping from the Premiership to league 1. People are bound to find the standard no longer up to their expectations. For most that's not a criticism but a fact of life.

Most know the time and effort you put in during your time at the club and what you do for owtb.

Don't take it to heart as BBRM states " it's just the little things" and these can only improve with time and experience as I am sure TB is finding out.

Stop being so bloody patronising.

What gets me is that Acks was constantly compared to the Stu that left Latics, after a few years in the role. Yes, the site was good but it wasn't always that way. He improved as time went on. He too was criticised in the early stages.

And to suggest that the official has improved since Acks was "mutual consented" is, frankly, a load of bollocks.

It took me 18 months to get good at my current job.

In the first 6 months, when I had no support, training or development, I was :censored:e.

With the right access to training and support I'd have picked it all up in 6 weeks.

This situation sounds similar.

Typical Latics - failure to invest in the right way at the right time.

Ackey, you'll be a better man for the experience of the whole situation. Don't dwell on it - look forwards, not back.

Edited by opinions4u

I thought you did ok, you didnt impliment a "shrine" page for roger palmer but ill let you off...i suppose haha

:cry:

If I report you for swearing will you send yourself a message about it being a family site?

Nope, WardleLatic's your man, he's the boss.

I suspect Ackey ends up having a word with himself just about every time he logs on here... :lol:

:lol:

You're not wrong. I delete more of my own posts than I do anyone else's!

Time to lock thread me thinks...

I concur, seeing as I'm the one being the idiot anyway.