Hardy in Oldham pay cut warning

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Target your audience, very wise. Keep the funny stuff for impressing guys on chatroulette.

Now you've lost me, however even in this moment of uncertainty I can assume that it's some sort of social chat room - at the risk of being guilty of contradicting what I've previously posted, why I'd frequent such places to waste my time with such unsavoury people when you're doing a very good job on your own right here is beyond me. I'm sure you'll take that as a compliment.

I don't think Alan Hardy has done anything but "state the bleeding obvious" but we jump on him as though he's told us the club is folding... I agree he could have put it better but he can't afford Max Clifford!!

The quality of the football has been poor this year and there still is/has been a recession. How many clubs will be increasing the budget this year in League 1 and 2 - you can probably count them on less than one hand.

Why has the quality of football been poor? Well I think its a combination of injuries to players who the manager thought would be first teamers this year - Abbott, Holdsworth, Purdie, Taylor, Worthington, Jacobson plus squad players Smalley, Lomax and Alessandra. This leads to a lack of a settled side and then when results go badly a lack of confidence - obviously the vociferous support of the Boundary Park faithful helps!!!

Plus a 2 or 3 bad signings - Parker definitely. But for the first few Royle years he signed 2 or 3 a season.

And a bit (but not a lot) of bad decision-making by a manager under pressure - never made a mistake in your line of work? - join the club obviously!!!

I think if we can get all of the above fit for most of the season we will be okay next year. But if you were faced with this problem as Penney was, plus the vocal minority in the crowd who want Penney to go you would go for "safety first" football - its not pretty but we're still in League 1 and believe it or not I think there have been very few occasions when the players haven't tried - individuals yes but collectively I think the team has given the effort most are demanding. Oh and Penney is from Yorkshire!? - guess what Royle was a scouser but we didn't hold that aginst him when we were getting done at home and away by Shrewsbury or thrashed 5-2 at Oxford.

The rubbish about TTA written on here is enough to drive them to distraction. They pump in half a million plus every year so we have something to do on a Saturday afternoon. I don't get all this "they are ruining/taking my club down to League 2" because unless you've put in the millions they have I'm afraid you don't own the club - you support it - I reckon over the last 35 years I've spent up to £10K in tickets and kits but that's it - I'm not counting away games because we don't get that money. Their investment is nearer £5M possibly more in 6 years. I am grateful for their continued financial support. Yes our ground is crap and we desperately need to move but unless you're Vince Cable no one predicted the financial meltdown that occured and we can't expect TTA to not suffer either in terms of their own business interests or in terms of the land value at BP and therefore they don't have a magic wand to wave at either the team or the ground. Yes the supporters will (possibly) be around after TTA have gone but they (TTA) are trying despite the economic climate and inspite of some "supporters" to leave a legacy for us to enjoy in the future. It's not as quick as any of us (and I include TTA in that) would want but it never is.

I've bought my season ticket for next year and I'm already looking forward to the "theatre of nightmares and the occasional dream" that is Boundary Park!

It seems to me with the contracts being offered to the younger players...a clear indication that youth will play a major part for us next season.

If the playing budget is to be slashed ( as has been indicated ) then we need to cut adrift several of the deadwood we possess and attempt to replace them with a couple of players who can actually improve the squad....Quality not quantity i believe.

This won't be an easy task and we can't afford any more mistakes of the parker, colbeck ilk.

Oh and Penney is from Yorkshire!? - guess what Royle was a scouser but we didn't hold that aginst him when we were getting done at home and away by Shrewsbury or thrashed 5-2 at Oxford.

Oh dear, you've compared Penney with the demi-god. The natives will have you in their cauldren before you can say peter Skipper.

By the way, a great post and certainly one which needs to put the Hardy statement into context. PR has never been the clubs strong point, but this statement isn't the post-apocolyptic scenario everyone is fearing. Actually, there could be some positives to read from it, such as a public statement to all (including agents) that you won't rip us off, which the knock-on effect could drive negotiations a bit lower for the same players.

Anyone thought it may be a PR stunt?

Say we are having a smaller budget = lower fans expectations so when club doesnt do well, the club has an excuse

OR

other plays may realise we have a smaller budget so are willing to accept less salary even though technically the budget good be the same..

Only thoughts those..

Anyone thought it may be a PR stunt?

Say we are having a smaller budget = lower fans expectations so when club doesnt do well, the club has an excuse

OR

other plays may realise we have a smaller budget so are willing to accept less salary even though technically the budget good be the same..

Only thoughts those..

If it's a PR stunt it's a terrible one.

You put fans off.

You put players off.

You put sponsors off.

Is there anyone left to put off?

Amazing how many Latics fans still live in a parallel universe, a place that we will call "nonsense-ville". Funnily enough this weird place is right next to "feel-I-need-to-express-my-utter-drivel-opinion-at-all-costs town"...

Dave Penney - perspective please. He is NOT the reason for falling attendances, and he is NOT stupid and he does NOT set teams up with the express intention of only scoring once. Granted the midfield hasn't contributed as much as we'd like, the full-backs haven't done the damage that we'd like and the strikers haven't scored as many as we'd like - but that isn't all his fault! He cannot legislate for Parker's inability to hit a cow's arse with a banjo, and let us not forget that he wasn't the only person in the region who thought that guy was a good signing. His keeper dives over the ball, Reuben ice-skates for the first half dozen games of the season and we can't score - queue sticky patch that we struggle to get out of and poor form.

Take into account for God's sake that most of his "marquee" signings have missed large chunks of the season and that Taylor (our star man) has been anonymous for large parts of the year. I am absolutely not suggesting that the guy has done a sterling job and should be commended and ennobled, but if you want to see the team he wants then look at it now. Passing midfielders, attacking wide men, solid base and a runner doing the buzzing off of Pav. This is the system he wanted, and if this too is crap then so be it.

I said elsewhere that people were getting ahead of themselves with signings. We need to address the keeper, centre-half and centre-forward. Move some players out, get rid of Brill and Flahaven and see what budget we have. I'd definitely work hard to keep Lee and Whitaker, Guy and :censored: on a season long too. Then we'd just need a keeper.

We knew there was going to be a slash in the budget, why not think of it as AH giving the fans a nudge in the right direction - I can't blame him after 3 for 2 offers, free and reduced entry schemes etc have only managed to get people to BP when it is cheap before they retire to their armchairs having "done their bit". We have such a load of bollocks-talking whining cry-babies it is pathetic.

Quite possibly post of the century so far!!! (Ok, it's only just started :wink:)

Completely angered by the "PR" today...emotional blackmail and apathy within to add to the apathy outside is a complete disaster and complete knobbery from the club. Maybe had this come out in July when most have bought their tickets, then so be it but to do it now...just makes me utterly angry that I support the club at times!!!

However, the post of De Le Vega's as regards to why we are here are spot on. And only fails to point out that these "bollocks-talking whining cry-babies" began this spiral from 4,500 to 5,000 fans when the arseholes got Ronnie sacked at a truly pivital moment in our upturn!!! As I predicted back then...the very beginning of the end...

Statements like today are self-perpetuating and are more likely to knock a few hundred off ST sales, meaning even less of a budget etc etc etc and as we go...soon enough, we'll be heading to Bower Fold and Ewen Fields not for Reserve Team games but for First Team games!!!

Quite possibly post of the century so far!!! (Ok, it's only just started :wink:)

Completely angered by the "PR" today...emotional blackmail and apathy within to add to the apathy outside is a complete disaster and complete knobbery from the club. Maybe had this come out in July when most have bought their tickets, then so be it but to do it now...just makes me utterly angry that I support the club at times!!!

However, the post of De Le Vega's as regards to why we are here are spot on. And only fails to point out that these "bollocks-talking whining cry-babies" began this spiral from 4,500 to 5,000 fans when the arseholes got Ronnie sacked at a truly pivital moment in our upturn!!! As I predicted back then...the very beginning of the end...

Statements like today are self-perpetuating and are more likely to knock a few hundred off ST sales, meaning even less of a budget etc etc etc and as we go...soon enough, we'll be heading to Bower Fold and Ewen Fields not for Reserve Team games but for First Team games!!!

How do I set that as my sign off? Quote of the century!

I don't think Alan Hardy has done anything but "state the bleeding obvious" but we jump on him as though he's told us the club is folding... I agree he could have put it better but he can't afford Max Clifford!!

The quality of the football has been poor this year and there still is/has been a recession. How many clubs will be increasing the budget this year in League 1 and 2 - you can probably count them on less than one hand.

Why has the quality of football been poor? Well I think its a combination of injuries to players who the manager thought would be first teamers this year - Abbott, Holdsworth, Purdie, Taylor, Worthington, Jacobson plus squad players Smalley, Lomax and Alessandra. This leads to a lack of a settled side and then when results go badly a lack of confidence - obviously the vociferous support of the Boundary Park faithful helps!!!

Plus a 2 or 3 bad signings - Parker definitely. But for the first few Royle years he signed 2 or 3 a season.

And a bit (but not a lot) of bad decision-making by a manager under pressure - never made a mistake in your line of work? - join the club obviously!!!

I think if we can get all of the above fit for most of the season we will be okay next year. But if you were faced with this problem as Penney was, plus the vocal minority in the crowd who want Penney to go you would go for "safety first" football - its not pretty but we're still in League 1 and believe it or not I think there have been very few occasions when the players haven't tried - individuals yes but collectively I think the team has given the effort most are demanding. Oh and Penney is from Yorkshire!? - guess what Royle was a scouser but we didn't hold that aginst him when we were getting done at home and away by Shrewsbury or thrashed 5-2 at Oxford.

The rubbish about TTA written on here is enough to drive them to distraction. They pump in half a million plus every year so we have something to do on a Saturday afternoon. I don't get all this "they are ruining/taking my club down to League 2" because unless you've put in the millions they have I'm afraid you don't own the club - you support it - I reckon over the last 35 years I've spent up to £10K in tickets and kits but that's it - I'm not counting away games because we don't get that money. Their investment is nearer £5M possibly more in 6 years. I am grateful for their continued financial support. Yes our ground is crap and we desperately need to move but unless you're Vince Cable no one predicted the financial meltdown that occured and we can't expect TTA to not suffer either in terms of their own business interests or in terms of the land value at BP and therefore they don't have a magic wand to wave at either the team or the ground. Yes the supporters will (possibly) be around after TTA have gone but they (TTA) are trying despite the economic climate and inspite of some "supporters" to leave a legacy for us to enjoy in the future. It's not as quick as any of us (and I include TTA in that) would want but it never is.

I've bought my season ticket for next year and I'm already looking forward to the "theatre of nightmares and the occasional dream" that is Boundary Park!

I like the cut of your jib Mr Wylde :wink:

Sense and realism, albeit with a drizzle of optimism - very rare and refreshing.

Long may it continue

Here, Here!

I really don’t know what people expect TTA to do. Plough more of their own money in with no sign of a return? Seek non-existent outside investment and compromise even further any profit they are likely to make out of the club? How ridiculous.....

Of course we’re going to have to make cuts next season – we’re one of the worst supported teams in the division in very unsteady economic times.

I don’t get why Penney was such a bad choice, either? He was available, wanted to come to us, knows the lower divisions and has won a couple of promotions.

There was no chance of Gannon ever coming here – so who should we have appointed? Some unknown ex-player who could have taken us either way?

Why do so many Latics fans desire for the cloud from the silver lining? We’ve survived and we’re stringing a few results together which could be a sign we’ll be better next season.

Here, Here!

I really don’t know what people expect TTA to do. Plough more of their own money in with no sign of a return? Seek non-existent outside investment and compromise even further any profit they are likely to make out of the club? How ridiculous.....

Of course we’re going to have to make cuts next season – we’re one of the worst supported teams in the division in very unsteady economic times.

I don’t get why Penney was such a bad choice, either? He was available, wanted to come to us, knows the lower divisions and has won a couple of promotions.

There was no chance of Gannon ever coming here – so who should we have appointed? Some unknown ex-player who could have taken us either way?

Why do so many Latics fans desire for the cloud from the silver lining? We’ve survived and we’re stringing a few results together which could be a sign we’ll be better next season.

Ok, let me make this crystal clear. The issue with this statement is not the fact that the budget has been cut. I am surprised in all honesty that it was not cut more last season, and we will most definitely not be the only club to be cutting our cloth accordingly this season. The problem with this statement to the press is as follows:

- First and foremost, the sheer stupidity of the timing of the statement, when as a club we need to be selling as many season tickets as possible. If you have seen a car you half fancy and you are unsure of buying it, then a salesman says 'oh by the way, rainwater will strip the paint work right off and the engine will last a year if you are lucky', the chances are you wont buy it. Same could be said with our fans who were still considering whether to renew or not, chances are after hearing something like that they may not renew. Having worked in sales for two years, I was taught to sell positively, using features and benefits. If the club had an ounce of sense they ought to be combining the recent upturn in form with pushing the features and benefits of buying a season ticket (discount for renewing, vouchers for club shop, guaranteed tickets for big cup ties etc), but no, again they go with the emotional blackmail/ sympathy card/fear card. To say the club could not sell a black cat and a broomstick to a witch is something of an understatement!!!!

- Second issue, depending on how you read it, is the implication the fans are responsible for this ('dramatic drop in attendances'). There is little the club can do about the recession and southern bias in this division, but they have more or less total control over the product they field on the pitch. And the possible implication that the fans are responsible for this for refusing to pay £20 to watch the dross turned out for large parts of the season is downright insulting. Considering the competition we have for the floating fans (as in we are competing with City, United, Dale and FCUM for fans), people are not going to pay money to be bored out of their minds watching negative football for 90 minutes.

DP, Hardy, Corney, anyone on the board who reads this thread..

Get some decent attacking football on for last two games and try persuade fans to part with their money for a ST - stop coming out with these statements and use some f*ckin common sense, for once!

Ok, let me make this crystal clear. The issue with this statement is not the fact that the budget has been cut. I am surprised in all honesty that it was not cut more last season, and we will most definitely not be the only club to be cutting our cloth accordingly this season. The problem with this statement to the press is as follows:

- First and foremost, the sheer stupidity of the timing of the statement, when as a club we need to be selling as many season tickets as possible. If you have seen a car you half fancy and you are unsure of buying it, then a salesman says 'oh by the way, rainwater will strip the paint work right off and the engine will last a year if you are lucky', the chances are you wont buy it. Same could be said with our fans who were still considering whether to renew or not, chances are after hearing something like that they may not renew. Having worked in sales for two years, I was taught to sell positively, using features and benefits. If the club had an ounce of sense they ought to be combining the recent upturn in form with pushing the features and benefits of buying a season ticket (discount for renewing, vouchers for club shop, guaranteed tickets for big cup ties etc), but no, again they go with the emotional blackmail/ sympathy card/fear card. To say the club could not sell a black cat and a broomstick to a witch is something of an understatement!!!!

- Second issue, depending on how you read it, is the implication the fans are responsible for this ('dramatic drop in attendances'). There is little the club can do about the recession and southern bias in this division, but they have more or less total control over the product they field on the pitch. And the possible implication that the fans are responsible for this for refusing to pay £20 to watch the dross turned out for large parts of the season is downright insulting. Considering the competition we have for the floating fans (as in we are competing with City, United, Dale and FCUM for fans), people are not going to pay money to be bored out of their minds watching negative football for 90 minutes.

Exactly, i am sick and tired of this guilt card played on the fans time after time, corney, barry and now alan.

A company doesn't look at poor sales of a product and say 'oh we're making cuts cos no one is buyin our products, its your fault public' - they take a total overview of the underlying reasons why people aren't buying and do something about it.

Our club officials just 'don't get it' - the sad thing is i don't think they ever will....

Is Hardy stating the bleeding obvious really going to make that much of a difference, though?

I don't think it will, to be honest - I think it's more likely to be the umpteen thousand other faults that a lot of our fans seem to find with the club.

If he’d come out and said: “Right, we’ve got a massive budget, we’re going to sign Paul Scholes and we’re going to win the league”, everyone would moan that they were being taken for mugs.

And why is it bad PR, anyway? Just because some people see it as guilt-tripping, emotional blackmail, etc some might actually respond positively for the cry for help.

I think things like this can be read into a little too much.