Hardy in Oldham pay cut warning

From BBC

Not sure what this means in the long term but it looks like we wont be signing any big names over the summer, or even afford someone like guy or flav.

Also would seem that we wouldnt be able to pay DP off so we're stuck with him over the summer.

(cant find this anywhere else but if i've missed it, delete this one)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the obvious comment of the day goes to AH

He added: "Obviously the football we have been playing, we've got to admit, has not been that attractive. That coupled with the recession has hit us badly.

:lol:

In an ideal world sack penney get playing attractive football again attendances rise end of *

*but obviously that wont happen (just dreaming of an ideal situation :lol: )

Edited by razza699

No Razza but it also says

"In the next week or two we've got to sit down with the manager [Dave Penney] and look at the budgets for next season.

Who'se to say Penney won't do what ince did and say 'I don't think I can take the club forward with the budget you are offering me hence I am resigning'?

"In the next week or two we've got to sit down with the manager [Dave Penney] and look at the budgets for next season.

Who'se to say Penney won't do what ince did and say 'I don't think I can take the club forward with the budget you are offering me hence I am resigning'?

:pray:

It's the only way Penney will go I feel. What Hardy has said is very bad news. Penney is supposed to make things better with less money? Difficult.

From BBC

Not sure what this means in the long term but it looks like we wont be signing any big names over the summer, or even afford someone like guy or flav.

Also would seem that we wouldnt be able to pay DP off so we're stuck with him over the summer.

Confirmation of what many on here suspected. Given our attendances it was inevitable really. What I imagine it means will be

- We will have a smaller squad next season

- A fair few players under contract will be told they are surplus to requirements

- There will be more players leaving than there will be coming in

- Cuts may possibly extend to the coaching staff

- We wont be spending silly money on pointless short term loans. Its a case of 'this is your budget, you want new players, either sell someone or free up some room on it, as we aint going over it'

-

From BBC

I have no sympathy for the board whatsoever.

Unlike previous managers, no one really actively called for Shez's head prior to his sacking ( i agree he should have gone), i.e. they weren't actively pressurised by fans for him to be fired, they chose to do that of their own accord.

They then look at a cv, see 2 promotions and think 'ooh yep we'll get him and...oh look, we dont need to pay compo neither, great stuff!' - without, as per, looking beyond and underneath it to ascertain what kind of culture and character does the manager promote? passing football to get fans in? How was his success built on.....££££ not frees - here is the mistake.

Penney, for all his commendable effort, is limited to a league two mentality, sit deep and nick a goal. He hasnt made any effort to get into the psyche of the oldham fans, i.e. we dont really care what the results are, as long as we go for teams every game for 90mins with clear effort displayed, as was the case when shez first took over and we couldnt score, we still kept with the team because we could see that they were giving their all except scoring the goals.

The board have failed to do the above, appointed a manger who couldnt give two hoots about the paying fan and who plays the most negative football i think i have ever had the displeasure of watching. Saturday showed with Black that if we actually RUN at teams we may get somewhere.

The fans have rightly voted with their feet. We will not be continually fobbed off with crap every week for £20! I realise there is an eventual limit to what the owners can do, but if they are not prepared to invest in the team with the aim of getting promotion (no need to go wild spending wise, look at scunthorpe) then, really, why are they here???

Appoint crap, you get crap, product attractiveness falls = loss of revenue, nothing to do with the credit crunch in reality, although i agree £20 is too steep for the current dross on offer, a tiered pricing system would be a more sensible way to go ie set relative to the opposition/number of travelling fans expected/importance of fixtures etc.

If only they had waited 2 days and appointed Jim Gannon, we may be looking to the future in a more favourable light than we are now, or better still, sacked the incapable idiot (whitaker a CM playing on the LW says it all, goal or not) and appointed Gannon then. He would grab the club by the bollocks, get some ambition into the place from top to bottom and he has the added bonus of gettin non-league players to form exciting teams and bring in transfer revenues in the process, ala stockport.

You reap what you sow Alan and board, not a good outlook now is it....

Edited by shefflatic

It's the only way Penney will go I feel. What Hardy has said is very bad news. Penney is supposed to make things better with less money? Difficult.

But was anyone seriously expecting a larger wage budget given the average attendance has dropped by over 1000 from last season (in the region of 15-20 percent)??

At the end of the day, TTA's pockets aren't bottomless, and no doubt the recession will have hit them as well. Simon Corney has quoted in the chron a couple of times (see here) that TTA can subsidise crowds in the 5.5k-6k region, but not 4600 or lower.

Unlike previous managers, no one really actively called for Shez's head prior to his sacking ( i agree he should have gone), i.e. they weren't actively pressurised by fans for him to be fired, they chose to do that of their own accord.

Whoosh surely?

If only they had waited 2 days and appointed Jim Gannon, we may be looking to the future in a more favourable light than we are now

If that bit was nearer to the top, I wouldn't have bothered with the rest. As it stands, it was a mildly interesting fume until this.

are you telling me you heard 'shez out' chants before he was fired??

this year 'we want penney out, we want penney out' has been the number one chant

Without wanting to sound a sarky get, were you at Milton Keynes?

If that bit was nearer to the top, I wouldn't have bothered with the rest. As it stands, it was a mildly interesting fume until this.

i take it you dont like someone who speaks his mind and tells things as they are like gannon does?

it is what we need, this club continues to wallow in its self defeatist attitude, happy-as-we-are philosophy, look where it has got us eh...

are you telling me you heard 'shez out' chants before he was fired??

this year 'we want penney out, we want penney out' has been the number one chant

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=inquest

If you read chesterfields messageboards its plain to see Shez is making exactly the same mistakes there as he did here, and if he doesnt make the playoffs, he will be lucky to still have a job

i take it you dont like someone who speaks his mind and tells things as they are like gannon does?

it is what we need, this club continues to wallow in its self defeatist attitude, happy-as-we-are philosophy, look where it has got us eh...

Yeah, 'cos Penney's "I'll not listen to the fans, I'll make my own decisions" statement worked real well didn't it...?

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=inquest

If you read chesterfields messageboards its plain to see Shez is making exactly the same mistakes there as he did here, and if he doesnt make the playoffs, he will be lucky to still have a job

if you read my post i agree that he should have gone - my point regards the implications of the idiot they have appointed

I think you got me all wrong guv. Say what you like, just don't get too uppity when the odd comment gets posted in response.

Erupt with outrage? Maybe a tad melodramatic, but please allow me to retort. There is no evidence to suggest Gannon would have been any better in this situation. You could've had Jose I'm The Special One Bob Paisley in charge, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

And get this.

It's going to happen again next season.

i am just so interested to know what it is that Gannon has done wrong in his career that makes you and a number of others erupt with outrage when his name is uttered?

Because you think we were with in a country mile of appointing Gannon.

Once again it seems the fans are picking up the slack for others mistakes. I think it's time the cluib actively sort new investment to kick start things and put belief back into a somewhat dis-believing Oldham public.

Once again it seems the fans are picking up the slack for others mistakes. I think it's time the cluib actively sort new investment to kick start things and put belief back into a somewhat dis-believing Oldham public.

To be honest that has been an open inviation for a long time. No one has any money to pee up the wall though.

They did get Mike Newton though.

Have you noticed how these statements come just as everyone is getting positive (e have survived) or excited (numerous important games seasons past)....

With our Catch22 situation, the downward spiral starts and we will become a League 2 team with a League 2 attendance.

No money to sign quality = product stagnates further on the pitch = fans vote with their feet and attendances/ST renewals continue to drop = no money to sign quality...and this vicious circle continues until the one of the following happens -

1. We strike lucky with homegrown talent or unearth a few gems in the transfer market and succeed in League 1 or 2 despite the budget cuts/sell them off to strengthen team. This leads to fans returning as we succeed, budget increases the next season and we emerge from the ashes. I

2. Change of owners who dig deep regardless of attendances and speculate to accumulate via future player sales/promotion/increased attendances/off-field activities.

3. We bottom out in League 2 where our budget can afford a playing quality to maintain a Top 10 finish or play-off/promotion and we become self-sufficient at that level with a much lower attendance maintained eack week.

It's easy for me to criticise the owners as I only shell out in region of £2000 a season. However owners have to realise that owning a football club does not make you money nor allow you to break-even in the short-term. Debts were there when the club was bought and the carrot was the land-sale and future off-field income from a nice new stadium complex.

Relying on fans to attend week in, week out despite the dross is madness hence why fans place their faith in the owner's hands to employ a successful manager/fund a successful team. Your need a saleable product to boost demand and potentially have to incur debts developing that product before sales return a profit.

What's the income forecast from this new stadium and off-field activities? Even the potential ground sale with land prices starting to increase should safeguard further investment in the team to cover the drop in attendances until they increase?

The question that needs to be asked is would the owners be happy with a League 2 club that's self-sufficient or a League 1/Championship club that is part funded by future off-field activities?

That's what I was trying to say via my long-winded response (sorry)